Howdy! long time gone.

Lightning-Shooter1

Howdy! long time gone.

Post by Lightning-Shooter1 » 06 May 2023, 11:58

Howdy! I've been gone a long long time, and used to go by LightningMan but could not remember for the life of me, what my password was. So, just created a new account. Anyway, thought I'd give a little report on my comparisons of shooting the S&W 5.7 vs the Ruger 57. After having owned a FN five seven pistol sense 2008 but never really cared for the feel of it, (really liked the round, found the pistols ergonomics or the way it fit may hands not good) A few years ago contacted FN about why they had not come out with a new model with a optics ready slide, when just about every gun maker was adding it to their line-up on full size pistols. They just said; "that they had no plans to do so at that time" So, Ruger comes along and introduces their model 57, long story short, bought one, really liked it, sold the FN. Now in February, I spy in my local gun store a S&W 5.7, didn't really give it a lot of thought until I watched a few reviews on line. I must say the rotating, gas operated barrel (tempo-barrel) had me intrigued, so I bought one. That same day took both S&W and Ruger to the range to compare. I shot some factory SS198's along with about 10 different reloads using anywhere from 35 gr. to 55 gr. bullets. Every test was shot side by side, 10 of this load out of the Ruger then 10 of the same out of the Smith. The results: Both guns had no malfunctions, both felt good in my hands, I liked the adjustable sights better on the Ruger, although the Smith was fine. I found the recoil was less on the Smith (which I expected) Also found the Smith had tighter groups for all loads shot, (was shooting at 10 yards). Now, one thing that I did notice comparing the fired cases was that the firing pin indentations were different, the Ruger had a slight rise or extruding back in the firing pin area, where as the Smith had none of that, otherwise the cases had about the same amount of shoulder forward movement. My thoughts on this is that it must have something to do with the operating system. Has anybody else done any comparisons on this? Anyway, just thought I'd post my findings, as no one has posted on this topic yet. Thanks.

bobeano

Re: Howdy! long time gone.

Post by bobeano » 20 May 2023, 04:53

I don't have anything to compare to. I've wanted a 5.7 for years,I just didn't really like how bulky they were. I did just get a S&W . Put about 50rds thru it so far. Just put a Holosun optic on it. Hope to get back out and try it more. Been stocking up on ammo. Seams have to buy it online to get reasonable prices