What are you reading now?

General discussion.
Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Re: What are you reading now?

Post by Cyberfly » 05 May 2012, 20:02

About to start the third book in the Hunger Games series. Had to wait for 'life' to settle down a bit for the missus to add it to the archive.
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

brianz

Post by brianz » 10 May 2012, 03:37

f3rr37 wrote:I bought it... debating on whether I should read it. Haha.
I'm sure there are people out there who enjoy it, I just couldn't stand it as I felt it ruined the original by changing certain aspects of it. I don't want to spoil anything so I am just giving my broad opinion.

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator
custom title: Sweeper

Post by MrSlippyFist » 10 May 2012, 07:14

Stranger in a Strange Land. Heinlein. Haven't read it since high school
Embrace the Suck

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 10 May 2012, 07:36

I just finished "American Sniper". Brought back a lot of memories from my Navy days, and the whole "Needs of the Navy" stuff. Very glad for him that he and his wife are still together. Know that is NOT the norm in SOCOM.

Decided to borrow a copy of "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" from a friend's shelf. Quick read, almost through it. Entertaining, but I feel it could have been developed a bit better. The whole Vampire Conspiracy was really weakly defined and there were several holes in it. At least thus far. I think I will wait for DVD on the movie they are making on it, if the book ends up being just OK, as it seems now.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator

Post by MrSlippyFist » 10 May 2012, 07:59

I know that its only entertainment, but I find the vampire fad annoying. Almost as annoying as the zombie fad. I'm sure whatever fad comes next will be much worse however.
Embrace the Suck

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 10 May 2012, 08:15

I find the Vampire mythology much more appealing then Zombies. There is a whole classical literature history to the Vampire folklore, whereas zombies are more cheap, and under developed apocolyptic rendering.

As a history buff, I have always enjoyed any medium or genre that allows the reader to experience a vast span of history through a single character. As long as the historical context is correct, or at least woven correctly together within the story.

That being said, the Twilight Saga is pure crap, and I can't stand it.

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator

Post by MrSlippyFist » 10 May 2012, 08:16

Those aren't vampires. Those are undead f*****s.
Embrace the Suck

Llagoud
custom title: A is A

Post by Llagoud » 11 May 2012, 09:01

Llagoud wrote:MadOgre's 'Uprising USA'

http://madogre.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.amazon.com/Uprising-USA-eboo ... 341&sr=8-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
After a Chinese biological attack leaves 90 percent of the United States infected by the zombie virus, George Hill, AKA, the Mad Ogre, springs to the defense of his country with every manner of firepower known to mankind. George and his allies beat back the zombie hordes, killing hundreds of thousands of the undead beasts in an attempt to save America from extinction.

This is funny. I just got to the Sarah Palin cameo at about 3/4 in. :laugh:

Proofing/Editing is a little weak but I picked it up for free so I'm not complaining. :thumb:
Well worth the read. :thumb: :thumb:

Oldbindlestiff
Gold Member

Post by Oldbindlestiff » 11 May 2012, 12:12

Hunting Trips of a Ranchman and The Wilderness Hunter
-- Theodore Roosevelt Written in the late 1880's.
Karma. Serving up justice one a**hole at a time.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 11 May 2012, 12:26

TR was a decent writer. I love his hunting stories from Africa.

Oldbindlestiff
Gold Member

Post by Oldbindlestiff » 12 May 2012, 05:56

TR is a fascinating character. His prose is quite good. His dedication to conservation as well as hunting was exceptional. I'm kind of on a "TR retrospective" at the moment. In fact, I just ordered a lever gun in .35 Remington. (45-70, TR's "Big Medicine", has just too much recoil for my much-abused neck and back.)

Llagoud

Post by Llagoud » 17 May 2012, 14:40

APOCALYPSE LAW [Kindle Edition]
-John Grit

http://www.amazon.com/APOCALYPSE-LAW-eb ... 186&sr=8-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A plague wipes out ninety-five percent of the world's population, taking Nate Williams' wife and daughter and leaving him with his thirteen-year-old son to survive on their farm. In the bedlam of lawlessness and starvation, hungry, desperate men arrive from the nearest town to take their meager supplies. A benevolent stranger keeps coming in the night to steal food. Sensing the stranger means no harm, Nate leaves food out as charity. But the stranger ignores offers to join them, then comes to their aid when a gang of prison escapees, led by an old nemesis of Nate's, raids their home. In the end, it is the kindness of a father desperate to save his son that may give two families and the stranger an opportunity to build a new life in a post-apocalypse world.

Shaokhano

Post by Shaokhano » 17 May 2012, 20:43

Killing Lincoln - Bill O'Reilly

Mainly from boredom.

SmartAsCarrots

Post by SmartAsCarrots » 22 May 2012, 15:43

"The Unforgiving Minute" Craig Mullaney

“If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run -
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man my son!” -Rudyard Kipling

gryphon

Post by gryphon » 24 May 2012, 16:57

Shaokhano wrote:Killing Lincoln - Bill O'Reilly
Is it any good?

Llagoud

Post by Llagoud » 27 May 2012, 05:29

Apocalypse Law 2

http://www.amazon.com/Apocalypse-Law-2- ... 331&sr=8-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mcracco

Post by mcracco » 29 May 2012, 03:21

Code Talker: The First and Only Memoir By One of the Original Navajo Code Talkers of WWII

Fascinating. The Navajo language is undocumented and extremely complex. Despite their country treating them like crap a handful of native Americans joined the Marines during WWII and developed a secret code based on their native language. Helped win the war in the Pacific. Gives some real insight as to the sacrifices some made.

Llagoud

Post by Llagoud » 30 Jun 2012, 04:36

mcracco wrote:Code Talker: The First and Only Memoir By One of the Original Navajo Code Talkers of WWII

Fascinating. The Navajo language is undocumented and extremely complex. Despite their country treating them like crap a handful of native Americans joined the Marines during WWII and developed a secret code based on their native language. Helped win the war in the Pacific. Gives some real insight as to the sacrifices some made.
Mo's Daddy and Uncle did something similar with Seminole. I'd like more time to talk to Uncle Buddy about that. :thumb:

Now reading The Mote in God's Eye- Niven/Pournelle 1974
This is the first collaboration between Niven and Pournelle, two masters of hard science fiction, and it combines Pournelle's interest in the military and sociology with Niven's talent for creating interesting, believable aliens. The novel meticulously examines every aspect of First Contact, from the Moties' biology, society, and art, to the effects of the meeting on humanity's economics, politics, and religions. And all the while suspense builds as we watch the humans struggle toward the truth. --Brooks Peck
http://www.amazon.com/The-Mote-Gods-Lar ... 0671741926" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Crazy 1970's Sci-Fi. Pocket Computers!

Esteves
Wiki Moderator
custom title: Shhh!

Post by Esteves » 30 Jun 2012, 07:42

Llagoud wrote: Now reading The Mote in God's Eye- Niven/Pournelle 1974
This is the first collaboration between Niven and Pournelle, two masters of hard science fiction, and it combines Pournelle's interest in the military and sociology with Niven's talent for creating interesting, believable aliens. The novel meticulously examines every aspect of First Contact, from the Moties' biology, society, and art, to the effects of the meeting on humanity's economics, politics, and religions. And all the while suspense builds as we watch the humans struggle toward the truth. --Brooks Peck
http://www.amazon.com/The-Mote-Gods-Lar ... 0671741926" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Crazy 1970's Sci-Fi. Pocket Computers!
On the one hand, it's always interesting to take a retrospective look at what SciFi thought the future might look like. (I'm still waiting for flying cars, a la George Jetson.)
On the other, SciFi is merely a backdrop for the story telling - which is always about characters and how they react to situations (however fantastic.)
On the gripping hand... :)
--
S
© 2004-2019 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 30 Jun 2012, 14:46

I just read 'Fearless'. Absolutely wonderful book. Heart wrenching, emotion driven, and motivational. Also recommend the NRA Life of Duty short on Adam Brown, the SEAL that Fearless chronicles. He was a drug addict that turned his life around and became a DEVGRU Operator, and won Operator of the Year honors in the Teams several years, decorated with a silver star, multiple bronze stars w/ valor, and was known by his peers as the finest SEAL they served with.

The book does have a very Christian theme to it, as Adam used religion to turn his life around and guide him.

Highly recommend.

Had to switch it up after that and re read some Hunter S Thompson. Read 'Rum Diaries' again earlier this year, decided to go back and re read 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas'. That book is absolutely hilarious, movie was decent too. Much better then the "Rum Diaries" adaptation.

aklonewolf

Post by aklonewolf » 01 Jul 2012, 09:35

The Convoluted Universe book1

Llagoud

Post by Llagoud » 06 Jul 2012, 09:29

The Bible.

I'm doing the "Read the Bible in 90 days" schedule.

http://www.biblein90days.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm also reading "Mycellium Running"

http://www.amazon.com/Mycelium-Running- ... um+running" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 10 Jul 2012, 12:22

Area 187; Almost Hell by Eric Lowther.
Yes, its a zombie book, but its really a story of the survivors who get trapped inside W VA when the fedgov walls off the area where the outbreak occurs. They make a half-assed attempt at getting people to leave, then claim that the area is 'survivor free'.
A DVD makes its way out showing survivors and ...well, even though its long book and could easily have been broken into three smaller ones, its a very well-written story.
Entertaining.

Sniperjoe
Gold Member

Post by Sniperjoe » 10 Jul 2012, 13:10

Dante's Inferno

Esteves
Wiki Moderator
custom title: Shhh!

Post by Esteves » 10 Jul 2012, 16:11

Sniperjoe wrote:Dante's Inferno
A classic...
--
S
© 2004-2019 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Llagoud

Post by Llagoud » 11 Jul 2012, 12:31

Cyberfly wrote:Area 187; Almost Hell by Eric Lowther.

Looks good. Added to Amazon wish list. Thanks. :thumb:

eagleshotz
custom title: You like that

Post by eagleshotz » 14 Jul 2012, 18:38

Just got done reading this by Dr. Jacob...Very good! :thumb: If anybody else has this problem you guys should check it out. :cya:

http://www.amazon.com/Live-Huge-Penis-R ... 1594743061" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LK45s
Gold Member

Post by LK45s » 14 Jul 2012, 20:21

:lmao:
" All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. "

Thomas Jefferson

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 14 Jul 2012, 23:01

Its not huge. Its...a...big boned. :D

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 15 Jul 2012, 11:05

Yeah...uhh. I don't have that problem, so I doubt I'll be reading that book along with you.
Like Pappy used to say, "I thought I had two hairs down there till I pee'd outta one of em..." :D

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 06 Sep 2012, 18:27

Just read straight through No Easy Day. Was sick at home so I decided to knock it out. Glad I did

Very interesting how close but oh so far Chuck Pfarrer got with his Seal Target Geranimo. There is a reason why the administration had everyone in DOD say it was a fabrication. Now this book comes out and I have to say, as mixed feelings as I had about OPSEC, the book set the record straight without breeching OPSEC. Fact is, the DOJ should be pursuing charges against the administration.

This book did the SOF community proud and it took the power of story telling away from the politicians for once and let the real heroes dispute the administrations lies and set the story straight.

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 10 Mar 2013, 18:30

Finally buckled down and read Atlas Shrugged. Awesome. It is a very long book, and I would get so angry during the first half that every couple hundred pages I had to set it aside and go read a Vince Flynn book, then get back to it.

Lobo
Gold Member

Post by Lobo » 05 Apr 2013, 20:21

flyingirish04 wrote:Just read straight through No Easy Day. Was sick at home so I decided to knock it out. Glad I did

Very interesting how close but oh so far Chuck Pfarrer got with his Seal Target Geranimo. There is a reason why the administration had everyone in DOD say it was a fabrication. Now this book comes out and I have to say, as mixed feelings as I had about OPSEC, the book set the record straight without breeching OPSEC. Fact is, the DOJ should be pursuing charges against the administration.

This book did the SOF community proud and it took the power of story telling away from the politicians for once and let the real heroes dispute the administrations lies and set the story straight.

:agree:

Hey Irish, been super busy at work and home but I agree with you on this, I've talked to a few folks out here that were asking me about this and had some very long discussions...

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together....."

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 06 Apr 2013, 08:39

American Sniper

Mike

Civil

Post by Civil » 11 Apr 2013, 18:57

10th justice

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 11 Apr 2013, 19:03

Hammer's Slammers.

500SWfan

Post by 500SWfan » 11 Apr 2013, 19:06

A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin (2nd time). Figured I better read it again so I could see how much they leave out/change on Game of Thrones, Season 3.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 11 Apr 2013, 21:41

Just finished "The Heights of Courage"
Avigdor Kahalani

This is the amazon write up,
"

In October 1973, the State of Israel was invaded by Egyptian and Syrian forces. Despite early losses, Israel managed to outfight its opponents. The brief and bloody Yom Kippur War stands as a unique chapter in modern military history. Fought primarily by tank units, the war became a story not only of battle strategy and tactics, but also one of human discipline, endurance and sacrifice.

While many historians have chronicled the events of the Yom Kippur War, few have been seasoned by actual combat. Avigdor Kahalani, commander of a tank battalion on the Golan Heights during the Yom Kippur War, describes this experience in The Heights of Courage. Beginning with a description of the initial Syrian offensive, he recounts the personal endeavors of his men, their fears and their ambitions, as well as their emotional and physical hardships. His stark account traces the efforts of the Israel Armored Corps as they struggle to overcome extreme difficulties and setbacks. The author describes their ultimate penetration into enemy territory and their approach to within forty kilometers of Damascus.
"

If you have ever wondered what it would be like in a tank battle at point blank range with the homes of your friends and family within sight of the battle,
Family members and homes that would be killed and destroyed if you failed this book is for you. A great many crunchies think being a Tanker is an easy ride and a cushy place to be in battle don't think about the fact that when you are on the battlefield you get everyones attention including the enemies and in a tank you can't hide in a ditch.

caveat emptor: I am a Tanker, I have lived in Israel and I have a good friend whose son is a commander in the IDF 7Th Armored Brigade so I am a little bias.

The 7th IDF is Israel's version of U.S. General George S. Patton 7th Army Tankers or the 3ACR. Bad ass Tankers to the core.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 11 Apr 2013, 21:44

I just started, Adam Makos' A Higher Call: An Incredible True Story of Combat and Chivalry in the War-Torn Skies of World War II, published December 19, 2012.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Br ... r_incident" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

ouchthathurt

Post by ouchthathurt » 12 Apr 2013, 15:14

Outpost

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 11 Jun 2013, 16:27

I started to make this it's own post, but figured that if you're a reader, you might actually check this thread:
IF anybody is interested:
Tomorrow and tomorrow only! ALL DAY tomorrow (6-12), on AMAZON for Kindle, Return of the Phoenix ebook will be available as a FREEBIE as my birthday present to YOU!
I hate birthdays because they just make you older, but this year, I'm celebrating by giving away my first book to anybody who wants it. Only available for ONE DAY so don't delay...I'm a cheap SOB, so take advantage of it while it lasts! :D
Tell your friends, tell your neighbors, spread the word. It's a one day only deal!
And I hope you enjoy it! :)

Yes, this is the book I wrote. The second book in the series is about to be released and this is the first book in that series.
jmz and greenberg have both read it and left good reviews. Others seem to like it as well. I'm reserving judgment... LOL!
I will ask, if you download it and like it, please leave a review. An HONEST review. That's all I ask.

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 11 Jun 2013, 16:57

Fly, I will read that one. Sounds good. Currently blazing my way through my addiction to Vince Flynn (Mitch Rapp), Lee Child (Jack Reacher), and Stephen Hunter (Bob Lee Swagger) books. If I can just finish all three series, I can get on to more productive reading. Not really the best use of my time, but they are addicting and I do really enjoy them.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 11 Jun 2013, 17:20

I'm a Vince Flynn fan, too. And David Baldacci. And Mark Tufo. And CJ Baker. And Joe McKinney. There's a lot of writers that I like to read. I just wish I had more time to enjoy them.

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member
custom title: FNP-45 Cylon

Post by jgreenberg01 » 11 Jun 2013, 17:21

That's a really sweet offer Fly, but...

Ahem, where's the second book already?!?!?

:D
0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

Oldbindlestiff
Gold Member

Post by Oldbindlestiff » 11 Jun 2013, 17:23

Thank you, H.S.!

cvande
Silver Member

Post by cvande » 11 Jun 2013, 17:24

I purchased the first book and loved it..... Awesome B-Day present!! Now, just waiting for no. 2 ... :-)
Change is inevitable; progress is optional.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 11 Jun 2013, 17:53

Yeah, Jeff, I know. It was supposed to have been last month.
All I can do is apologize. My publisher took on even more writers and they've been swamped. AND, a wee bit of (exciting for ME, anyway) news...
I've sort of fallen in with some bigger authors and we're all going to be 'advertising' each others work in the back of our books. For me, this is AWESOME, because some of these guys have upwards of 20K downloads a month...
They thought they were going to release Whispers first (stand alone ghost story), but ran into problems editing it (it's written in Okie). So they've switched gears and went to book two of the Monster Squad series. Hopefully SOON, since they've made this move.
They release the first one as a freebie, hope people LOVE it and they'll buy the second one. Plus, it exposes people to the author who might not otherwise take a chance on an 'unknown'. May or may not be a smart move. I'm not sure yet.
Like most writers, I'm VERY critical of my own stuff.
So, I'll wait and see.

fd57

Post by fd57 » 11 Jun 2013, 20:13

Eleven Rings: The Soul of Success

By Phil Jackson

Phil is a good writer. Probably a better basketball coach, but a good writer nonetheless. Has authored a couple of books that draw even non-basketball fans in. Yours truly included.

Eleven Rings is his latest. And it's good stuff. Plenty of Eastern Philosophy references.

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 18 Jun 2013, 13:09

Ok, Fly, it worked. I downloaded and read "Return of the Phoenix". My turn for review and comment. Not sure I know how to be anything but honest.

It started off a little slow. Not because it wasn't what I expected. I had no idea what to expect. It just felt a little amateur, maybe like something I would turn out. I read a lot and every once in a while I think I might be able to write. Louis L'Amour I am not.

As I got into it, I started thinking that the supernatural (werewolves, vampires) would be easy to write about because the author sets the rules. If we have a plot dilemma, just add in a new rule, say, natural born vs. converted monster. By a third of the way into the book, I was getting pretty critical, but I was still reading. You found your groove by the end of the first half, and it started reading like an experienced storyteller work. Somewhere in the last quarter of the book I realized I was hooked, and I was getting pissed because the storylines were way too complex to ever wind up in the pages left, and I knew you were going to leave me hanging. I finished it at lunch today and thought, I hate it when I am right.

Bottom line is, the free birthday gift worked. It doesn't really matter what book 2 costs when it comes out, I'm in.

I liked the way you got Jay and Lisa into the book. I started wondering who else on this forum found their way in, or was represented. As the former politician on this board, I'm pretty emphatic that I AM NOT Franklin. :)

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 19 Jun 2013, 16:22

Finally! An HONEST review. Wait, I shouldn't say that. I'm sure the other reviews were honest, too. Just...they were all 'glowing'. Yours is more critical. :)
I'm NOT a professional in any way, shape, form or fashion. I've written a lot of technical stuff in the past, and some short stuff that got published in college back in the 90's but...dude, that was COLLEGE. So yes, it is amateurish in many ways. Hey, it's my first attempt at this. And honestly, I'm learning as I go along. Stephen King I'll never be. But then, honestly, I don't think Stephen King is all that great either. He just comes up with some really kewl off the wall scary shit that people dig.
But you're right. When you're the writer, you can set the rules. Some people like it, others won't. It's the story that either pulls you in or doesn't. And not everyone will like what you write. If they do, that is flippin AWESOME! If they don't, all you can do is say, 'sorry man. I was hoping you would, but hey, here's some other guys that you might like...' and send them on their way. So far, I've been pretty lucky. Most of the folks that have read it are into that genre.
The story DOES progress and really, Phoenix is more to introduce folks to the characters. HOWEVER, Jay and Lisa are the only forum peeps in it.
I have a stand alone novel called Whispers that is due out soon that has Justin and blue and a bunch of other people in it. I just went on Facebook and said, "I'm about to start a new project and expect to kill off a LOT of people. If you want your name to be used, post something here..." and had like 25 people sign up right off the bat. I started pulling names as I needed them.
My HOPE is that I can afford to buy paperbacks for each of the volunteers and sign it for them for their volunteering their names to be used and send it to them. I get a small discount, but this book is nearly twice the size of Phoenix and printing costs are based on size. But, honestly, I think its a better story than the first one. Maybe I'm biased. I enjoyed writing it more, I know that. I guess the public's feedback will be more of a measuring stick on whether it's a better story or not.
But, I'm glad you liked it enough to want to read the next one!

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 19 Jun 2013, 16:28

Oh, and Mike, if you would, please leave a review on Amazon for me. Good, bad or indifferent. It's all a numbers game and my publisher keeps pushing me for 'reviews'. Something to do with rankings and...I don't keep up with it, I just always ask people to do it if they wouldn't mind.

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 19 Jun 2013, 22:02

Done. My first review on Amazon.

I just heard that Vince Flynn passed away today after losing his fight with cancer. What a loss. I just discovered his books last year and have read all but two of the Mitch Rapp books. I've been pacing myself, hoping he would come out with a new one soon. I'll have to find another author to fill that hole.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 20 Jun 2013, 08:39

I know.
It totally ruined my day yesterday and I had him and his family in my prayers ever since I heard.
Mike, you might want to check out David Baldacci. I really like his style of writing, too. There's only one Flynn, but for the longest time, Baldacci was one of my faves. Also Ted Bell. Some think his writing is a bit over the top, but I really enjoyed it.

Fridge Raptor

Post by Fridge Raptor » 30 Jul 2013, 09:57

The Hunter by Tom Woods. Very action packed from start to finish. First book I've ever read that the main character uses a 5.7 pistol as his carry piece.

The book was also published under another title "the killer".

If you like fast paced shoot 'em up assassin books and 5.7 x 28... It may be for you.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 30 Jul 2013, 15:41

Reading "Coolidge" by Amity Shlaes right now.

He may be the most underrated president ever. Free market champion that was able to save himself and the party from going down the path of the progressives at least for a few years. Too bad Hoover took over after him.

ddouglas
Gold Member

Post by ddouglas » 30 Jul 2013, 15:58

"Unintended Consequences" by John Ross. With 18 pages of posts describing "What I'm Reading Now", I'm not sure if this book has been commented on or not. This book is 861 pages, so it takes awhile to get through. The book got interesting--to me--after about 150 pages. The story chronicles the history of the gun culture, gun rights and gun control in the United States from the early 1900s through the late 1990s. Although clearly a work of fiction, the story is heavily laced with historical information, including real-life historical figures who play minor supporting roles. The novel also features unusually detailed and intricate facts, figures and explanations of many firearms-related topics. The cover has a picture of Lady Justice being assaulted by an ATF agent.

You can read a better description than I can provide by Googling "Henry Bowman"--the central character in the book. The book describes the many abuses by BATF and how the politicians and the "agencies" are determined to subjugate the American people. It's a pretty good read. And it will really awaken you--particularly the younger members of the FiveSevenForum--to some of the really bad s*%t that the 'gummint' has done over the years. (The old farts will be re-awakened.) Events like the Randy Weaver case, the Branch Davidians, and a bunch more are described and discussed in character conversations, not a boring narrative.

It's also good in describing some firearms we don't see or hear much about. Like 4-bore double rifles. And even a 2-bore that shoots a 3,100gn bullet at 1,200fps. Ouch.

Good read. I didn't think I was going to like it, but, as I said, somewhere around page 150, it caught my attention.

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member

Post by jgreenberg01 » 31 Jul 2013, 04:40

Reading Full Moon Rising. 2/3 through it and it is quite an engaging sequel. I hope it won't be another cliff-hanger ending, but I suspect it will be.

If that's the case, then I hope the author can get the next book out in a reasonable amount of time.

Just sayin'...

Anyone, anyone, Fly?

:p
0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member

Post by jgreenberg01 » 02 Aug 2013, 12:05

jgreenberg01 wrote:Reading Full Moon Rising. 2/3 through it and it is quite an engaging sequel. I hope it won't be another cliff-hanger ending, but I suspect it will be.

If that's the case, then I hope the author can get the next book out in a reasonable amount of time.

Just sayin'...

Anyone, anyone, Fly?

:p
Ok, finished it only to find...
Coming Soon:

Coalition of the Damned

A Moster Squad Novel
Book 3
FLY?!?!?!? (he said, similar to the way they way James T. Kirk screamed "KAHN")

I'm so annoyed now. How long of a wait will this one be?

Bad Fly. Bad.

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 02 Aug 2013, 18:52

Jeez, nobody told me Fly's book 2 is out, and already I hear whining about the ending? Must mean it is worth reading. I can't find it in Google Play, so I guess I have to remember my Amazon password and go find it. I tried a David Balducci short story and was not all that impressed. It involved time travel, which makes for more questions than answers. I finished a couple more "Reacher" books by Lee Child. I keep expecting to lose interest in them, but they keep getting better. Someone recommended John Sandford's books, starring Lucas Davenport. I read Rules of Prey. Not bad, but not even close to a replacement for Mitch Rapp in Vince Flynn's books.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 03 Aug 2013, 22:47

Sorry Jeff (and Mike), we were moving and I just got my computer unboxed! Talk about withdrawals!!
And my editor calls me to tell me that they put ROP on a 99 cent special and I need to promote it...uh...dude. I have no internet, no computer and just my Black berry. Not much I can do with that.
Oops. Bad timing.
Oh well.
I hate moving. I'd rather take a flogging then have to move again.
Anybody ever remodel a complete bathroom in a day because their wife THINKS she smelled mold behind 1960's pink tile?
Yeah.
Well, I did.
AFTER she spent three weeks convincing me that we needed to KEEP said pink tile because 'it was her bathroom and she liked it'.
And no. There was no mold. But it didn't stop her from taking a sledgehammer to it...because that's how they do it on DYI channel...
I hurt in places I didn't know I had.
And yes, I am avoiding answering your question as to when to expect COTD to be out. They tell me 4-6 months between books, then wait nearly EIGHT to release the second. Who the hell knows?
ALTHOUGH, I will say this. Book FOUR was supposed to be the end. Complete. No more.
My editor called to tell me...he loved it too much. I CAN'T let the series end there. I HAVE to keep it going. So...the Monster Squad will most likely continue on after book 4. With new characters and new adventures and hopefully more in-depth missions of what they were intended for...rather than one long assed soap opera. And hopefully fewer cliff hangers. :thumb:

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member

Post by jgreenberg01 » 04 Aug 2013, 05:24

Cyberfly wrote:Book FOUR was supposed to be the end. Complete. No more.
My editor called to tell me...he loved it too much. I CAN'T let the series end there. I HAVE to keep it going. So...the Monster Squad will most likely continue on after book 4.
Book FOUR and beyond?!?!? Wow dude, you're killing me here. Based on previous wait times - that's like 16 months before getting to the end... continuing adventures of the Monster Squad.

I have to admit that you've created a really engrossing story set in a really interesting-yet-hidden world. It's not the same-old rehashed vampire/werewolf stories we usually see. Although if you could work in a nekkid Anna Paquin, I would consider it a personal favor. I'm just sayin'...

The last time I was willing to wait (and wait, and wait) for books in a series to come out was Harry Turtledove's Worldwar series.

I hated waiting.

EDIT: if Anna Paquin is not available, I would gladly accept the actress who plays baby vamp Jessica. Woof.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 04 Aug 2013, 21:55

Oh man...you and me both. I wait for each episode with baited...er...breath?? Hoping beyond hope that if ANYBODY is gonna be nekkid, it's HER. But NOoOoOo...
More seriously though, I'm really glad you're liking the storyline Jeff. I told Jess last night that if I'm going to be making the MS series a continuing thing, I'm not holding back. You can ask Justin (who acted as a beta reader for a stand alone ghost story I did) that my novels can get a bit lengthy. If the Squads are going to live on, then I'm going to extend the stories and give the readers their money's worth. Rather than stories in the 80-100K word length I'll do my best to extend the stories to more like 140-150K in length. I want to give more closure to the stories but still leave enough strings hanging to keep readers engaged.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 17 Aug 2013, 22:36

I hate to do this, but my publisher is giving me fits for 'reviews' posted at Amazon. The one thing I know that reviews help with is when we get ready to convert to audio, it makes the narrators feel better when they see a lot of reviews and if there are a lot of good reviews. But,...if anybody from the forums has taken the time to read either Phoenix or Full Moon and would please leave a review, I'd really appreciate it.
Jeff, I dunno if you saw it or not, but I have the dates for future releases posted on FB. My publisher got with me this morning and we had a nice discussion about the future. She's wanting to be able to have a new release from me every two months by 2015. Since I'll be making Caldera into a series (mini-series, if nothing else) this shouldn't be too hard to do. They'll be able to alternate between Monster Squad and Caldera zombie book every other month. As for other stand alone novels, they'll work them in as they can.
Justin and Jon, I'll need you guys to make sure your addresses are current in the contact section. Whispers is set to be a Halloween release. It usually takes 2-3 weeks after it's released before I get the hardcopies, but I'm going to do everything in my power to purchase a copy for everyone who allowed me to use their names in the book and get them an autographed copy. :thumb:

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member

Post by jgreenberg01 » 18 Aug 2013, 03:54

I did see it and it's nice to see that there is actually a schedule now. I'll go to amazon and review "Moon" today. By the way feel free to use my name if you need some to kill off in future stories. Just use my porn name: Dirk Armstrong.

EDIT: Um, just kidding about the porn thing. I've never done that before, and I'll never do it again...

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 18 Aug 2013, 11:37

OMG...dude. I spit coffee all over my screen. Makes me wish I still had my Toughbook! LOL!!
That was a FB offer I made for Whispers. I knew there was going to be a large cast of characters and a pretty good 'kill-list'. I either had to come up with a TON of names on my own or...I took a page from Mark Tufo and invited friends and family to allow me to use their name in the story. Not their LIKENESS, but their name. I couldn't guarantee their outcome. What I did was put names in a hat and as I needed them, I pulled them. I ended up with a whole team of deputies with first names that started with 'J'. It might be a bit confusing to the first time reader, but I stuck to my guns. I ended up killing off most of my kids. I think two of them became local Constables. Justin and Jon were Sheriff's deputies. A lady who used to babysit me became a local author. People just got inserted to all kinds of different characters.
I may do it again one day if the time comes when I need a lot of names. Or if I ever decide to revisit the little town in Wood County, TX and maybe revive the spirits that caused so much mayhem... :D
Hmmm...maybe an investigative reporter who comes to check out all of the mysterious deaths??

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 31 Oct 2013, 20:28

Okay, this isn't really a 'plug' per se, because honestly, I don't make crap off of boxed sets. BUT, if anybody who does like to read horror/zombie/apocalyptic fiction wanted a HELL of a deal, this is the one. For a limited time, SIX complete novels in one box set, plus a teaser from Joe McKinney. Over half a million words for the price of one e-book.
Included in the set is myself, Mark Tufo (awesome and hilarious writer), James Cook (a personal fave of mine), John O'Brien, Shawn Chesser and Armand Rosamilia. I've read a little of John's stuff and it's pretty decent. Not one of my favorites, but everybody has different tastes. He has a huge following online and a monster sized fan base. I haven't read Shawn or Armand yet, but they're pretty cool guys to hang with online.
IF you are interested, check out Epic Apocalypse at Amazon. Also available at B&N, Kobo, etc.
http://www.amazon.com/Epic-Apocalypse-A ... apocalypse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 02 Nov 2013, 18:24

I'm reading "Nothing to Lose" by Lee Child. Big deal for me because it is the last Reacher novel for me. I didn't read them in order. All out of Mitch Rapp and Bob Lee Swagger.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 05 Nov 2013, 20:16

Just in case anybody is interested, you can enter for a chance to win a free autographed copy of Whispers at Goodreads.
Here's the link so you don't have to wade through all the crap: https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/show/70587-whispers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator

Post by MrSlippyFist » 03 Jan 2014, 22:00

Just finished reading this. Great book, great author. If anyone wants it, let me know and I'll ship free. Just promise to pay it forward when you're done./

http://whatever.scalzi.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.amazon.com/The-Androids-Drea ... 0765348284" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Embrace the Suck

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 04 Jan 2014, 18:45

Just finished The Spirit Clearing by Mark Tufo and started Callis Rose by the same guy. Really enjoyed The Spirit Clearing. Had a nice twist at the end.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 19 Jan 2014, 17:07

Jeff, Coalition (MS3) just hit Amazon.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 19 Jan 2014, 17:37

Cyberfly wrote:Jeff, Coalition (MS3) just hit Amazon.

Not yet!
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 20 Jan 2014, 09:17

Okay, okay, the Kindle version hit last night.

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member

Post by jgreenberg01 » 26 Jan 2014, 10:20

Because monsters should be hunted down and shot between the eyes, not chasing teenage girls and playing kissy face.
~Cyberfly

foxcurry

Post by foxcurry » 26 Jan 2014, 10:29

"Who Is John Gault"
Just released. I've got an "in" with the author.

:D

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 27 Jan 2014, 15:06

jgreenberg01 wrote:
Because monsters should be hunted down and shot between the eyes, not chasing teenage girls and playing kissy face.
~Cyberfly
The best part? "I wonder if Justin Bieber is a vampire?"

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member

Post by jgreenberg01 » 27 Jan 2014, 17:15

Cyberfly wrote:
jgreenberg01 wrote:
~Cyberfly
The best part? "I wonder if Justin Bieber is a vampire?"
Does it matter? Human/vampire/werewolf/spoiled effing brat... a couple of silver bullets to the chest and one to the head will rid us of the problem.

I'm just sayin'...

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 28 Jan 2014, 14:05

I couldn't agree more.

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 29 Apr 2015, 05:40

Last week I picked up Hemingway's "A Farewell to Arms". Read it cover to cover on Sunday. Felt like I was back in college and a book report was due in the morning. Good book, fascinating writing style. Started off almost like a stream of consciousness thing, then got more grounded as the book went on.

So I figured I deserved a little brain candy. I jumped back onto kindle and bought Fly's third book in the Monster Squad series, after a year or so from reading the first two. Enjoying it. I'm 51 years old, I'm not supposed to get into this crap, right?

satellitedr3ams
Gold Member
custom title: TimeTraveler

Post by satellitedr3ams » 29 Apr 2015, 06:31

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 29 Apr 2015, 09:22

Theodore and Woodrow: How Two American Presidents Destroyed Constitutional Freedom Hardcover
by Andrew P. Napolitano

Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 29 Apr 2015, 18:58

Really Fly? Could you possibly have left it any more hanging at the end of book 3?

Crap....

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 29 Apr 2015, 22:40

Hey, Mike...it gets wrapped up in Book 4.

More or less. :)

Actually, I fully intended to STOP with that 'series' after 4. My editor and publisher at that time talked me into continuing it. Well, that and I had a lot of people email me and ask that I PLEASE continue the story line.
My wife reads everything first...in all of it's unedited, misspelled glory. I started a new 'saga' with MS5 and she swears that 5, 6 and 7 are the best yet...with 5 and 6 being her faves. 7 is at the editor and will probably be out around June/July-ish.
I'm in the middle of 8 and have hit a wall. Hopefully soon I'll be able to get my shtuff together and finish it. :skep:

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 05 May 2015, 21:14

OK, fly, book 4 is behind me now. Enough brain candy for a while. I think I will go read a little about what Bogle's thoughts on the federal reserve are.

satellitedr3ams
Gold Member
custom title: TimeTraveler

Post by satellitedr3ams » 07 May 2015, 12:24

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 10 Jun 2015, 16:52

I am going to start reading this shortly.

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/549413" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

كاف

N4TAB-Tom

Post by N4TAB-Tom » 10 Jun 2015, 18:51

I, Ripper by Stephen Hunter (author of the Bob Lee Swagger books, among others). A magnificent writer who delves into Jack the Ripper in an historical fiction style, but with two first person characters. Very well done.

Tom

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 10 Jun 2015, 22:03

jmz5 wrote:I am going to start reading this shortly.

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/549413" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:thumb:
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 16 Jun 2015, 08:36

Looky at what arrived today!!

Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 16 Jun 2015, 15:47

That's cool. Jay got his before I got mine.
I guess...I should probably order mine, huh? I went online to see where the heck they were. I never pressed the button to actually ORDER them. :facepalm: I would say that it's been a busy time, but...that's no excuse.
I also need to order the new copies of Caldera.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 16 Jun 2015, 21:07

LOL

Jeez, Heath, I'm so far behind, now.

I feel left out :(

I really liked this cover, and the last cover from the Monster Squad series.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 16 Jun 2015, 23:00

Jon, that's the same story, just the...third? Fourth time?..that it's been recovered.
I had my original graphic guy design a cover for it. When I was with my publisher, they sat on the story for nearly two years before moving on it, meanwhile, I pimped out the pics of the cover, trying to stir up interest in the story. Some British guy stole the graphics.

Then my new graphics guy (who lives in Italy) made a new cover. I didn't like it, but I adopted it.

Then, the girl that reworked my website wanted to break into the graphics side, so she made a new cover. I liked it, but she misspelled a ton of stuff on the back and she screwed up a lot of the formatting on the inside.

So, I went BACK to my new guy (in Italy) and he did this whole new look for me. I reworked all of the formatting inside and added a personal ad in the back. It's sort of a 'if you like this story, check out some of the other crap I've written' kind of thing. And, TBH, I like the look of the final artwork now. It's more in line with the story and I think it will help sell the book.
At least,...I REALLY hope it will.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 17 Jun 2015, 11:25

As soon as it aloud me to press the order key for the printed version I did.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 17 Jun 2015, 15:16

Amazon teased me with a 3 book package of "John Milton" books by a guy named Mark Dawson. Review said that Milton was the next Mitch Rapp. I'm halfway through the first. Not too bad, but I find it pretty easy to put down when I get tired. I stayed up all night for many a Mitch Rapp adventure.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 17 Jun 2015, 17:01

There's a lot of people trying desperately to fill those shoes. I even toyed with pulling a character from Whispers (Bobby Bridger) and using him in a story. I got about 10K words into it and then had to redirect my efforts to finish the MS saga I was working on. Maybe when I'm done, I'll go back and give it another shot.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 17 Jun 2015, 23:42

I like the first cover; the last one is good, too. Agree with ya.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 18 Jun 2015, 10:43

Yeah, that first one was my favorite. But once that British prat stole the image from it...I was pretty bummed.
True, different titles, subtle differences, etc, but I didn't want to have to hear from HIS fans that I stole his cover...esp when I'd had that cover for a year and a half prior to him publishing his story. The only reason mine never got released was my publisher and her belief that stand alone novels 'don't sell'. They do...just not like series books do. Which makes me wonder how the big names make it. They don't usually write series stories.