1st time shooting my Five-seveN

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

GT1R390

1st time shooting my Five-seveN

Post by GT1R390 » 24 Nov 2008, 08:17

Well, i shot her today!!

really fun to shoot...all 119 rounds fed, extracted, n ejected perfectly. i wasn't hitting anything i was aiming at...lol. Not my main concern today, just wanna make sure she works good.

as for sighting...was shooting low, so had to raise the rear sights about 7-8? clicks counter-clockwise (up). and maybe 4? clicks clockwise (right) for windage. dunno why i had to adjust it so much for 7 yrds...anyone had to do this?

my wrist is injured, so maybe i wasn't able to aim/shoot so well today. went to my MP45 after...i was doing pretty well with it...i'm used to it...however. after the 5th shot...i had to put it down(MP45). my wrist was aching, think it's dislocated...ahaha.

anyway, when i can get more ammo (give my wrist time to heal too), i'll work on sighting and aiming...and just shooting the 5-7.

I was using SS197. had to raise the sites at 7 yrds...after awhile i was able to hit center mass from 7-20 yards...but nothing like what i've seen/read.

Any advice would be great!

thanks,
GT

jmz5
Site Admin

Re: 1st time shooting my Five-seveN

Post by jmz5 » 24 Nov 2008, 08:22

I think the guns leave the factory zero'd with SS195 at 25yds, at least mine was dead on at 25yds with SS192 the first time I shot it.
Just like anything else, it takes practice.
كاف

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 24 Nov 2008, 08:46

197's always shoot a bit lower at short distances than the 195's that they are sited in for. if you go and shoot 195's right now you will be very high. that is why you practice group size with any ammo and you zero in using the ammo you plan to carry

GT1R390

Post by GT1R390 » 24 Nov 2008, 09:08

to jmz05,
(from the "5.7 round for home defense" thread)

i'm pretty sure you're right...but i'm not used to the trigger yet also. when i was dry firing...i did notice, the front sight would move down just a lil. but weird thing is...when i switched to my MP45...i was shooting quite well.

The grip is totally different though...my MP45 felt much better in my hands (probably from holding her all the time). Guess i'll just have to keep practicing. The 5-7 is so light, it's easy to move around, maybe that's why i had a hard time hitting my target.

Just kinda disappointed, because everyone says its so accurate.

GT1R390

Post by GT1R390 » 24 Nov 2008, 09:12

fzr confused wrote:197's always shoot a bit lower at short distances than the 195's that they are sited in for. if you go and shoot 195's right now you will be very high. that is why you practice group size with any ammo and you zero in using the ammo you plan to carry

that is great to know...reassurance :thumb: . is 'cuz it's underloaded? also weight? the SS195's are 28 gr?

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 24 Nov 2008, 09:25

SS197(40gr) shoots lower because it's underloaded, it also waights more than SS195(28gr).
كاف

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 24 Nov 2008, 09:26

the 197 is flying a lot slower, way underpowered (same with all the FN ammo) but the 197 is a lot slower than the 195 which is slower than the S4

GT1R390

Post by GT1R390 » 24 Nov 2008, 10:01

thanks for the insight, fella's, ladies. so do ya'll think that the adjusments i made sounds reasonable?

"raise the rear sights about 7-8? clicks counter-clockwise (up). and maybe 4? clicks clockwise (right) for windage"

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 24 Nov 2008, 10:10

When I first shot mine (used 197s) I had to move it a lot too. Although I didn't count, that does sound close. But as I became used to the gun & it got broken in I had to shift the sights back a little. First let your wrist heal, it will effect your aim. After that, I'd agree with fzr confused - work on your groups, sight for carry.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

Bluegrass Shooter

Post by Bluegrass Shooter » 24 Nov 2008, 13:01

jmz5 wrote:I think the guns leave the factory zero'd with SS195 at 25yds, at least mine was dead on at 25yds with SS192 the first time I shot it.
Just like anything else, it takes practice.
I always thought they were zeroed in at greater distances at the factory (around 100 yds). Thats what I was told by a few people but thats probably way off, I imagine it would be a pain in the ass to site in all guns at 100yds. My sites are still a bit off because I haven't had a chance with a bench to site them but they seem to be set for further than 25 yds. Again im no expert marksman so it could just be me or my specific FsN.

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 24 Nov 2008, 14:01

I don't se the 57 being factory sited for 100 yards, maybe a ps90 or fs2000 though. but all in all the 57 flies very flat, so slightly off at 25 yards could be right on at 100. to be perfectly honest, they could be sited in for 190's (or 198's) that fly slightly flatter than the 195's

amc31b

Post by amc31b » 24 Nov 2008, 18:17

GT1R390 wrote:to jmz05,
(from the "5.7 round for home defense" thread)

i'm pretty sure you're right...but i'm not used to the trigger yet also. when i was dry firing...i did notice, the front sight would move down just a lil. but weird thing is...when i switched to my MP45...i was shooting quite well.

The grip is totally different though...my MP45 felt much better in my hands (probably from holding her all the time). Guess i'll just have to keep practicing. The 5-7 is so light, it's easy to move around, maybe that's why i had a hard time hitting my target.

Just kinda disappointed, because everyone says its so accurate.
I felt the exact same way about my USG when I first bought it. I even considered returning mine, so dont worry.
Slow down! You just have to understand that the Fiveseven is very different and there is basically nothing like it out there. The combination of odd grip geometery, light weight, and big sights makes the fiveseven a gun that most people can not pick up for the the first time and be in the 10 ring. It is totally normal for your shots to be all over, regardless of what you do to the sights. That being said, dont touch your sights, they are probably right on!
I would say give it about 250 rds and lots of dry firing before you adjust the sights. When you do adjust them, use a steady rest, pull a boresnake through the barrel after every 3 shots and take your time. With SS195 at 25 meters, my rear sight had to come down about 6 clicks and right 3. Now I can shoot 2" groups at 25 meters not even taking my time.

iCeMaN

Post by iCeMaN » 24 Nov 2008, 19:34

I was pretty much dead on with my Five-seveN, although I'm just good like that :p...No seriously, give it time and you will grow very fond of your weapon. I shoot probably more accurately than any weapon in my collection...I <3 my Five-seveN

jrudicel

Post by jrudicel » 25 Nov 2008, 03:27

I would say give it about 250 rds and lots of dry firing before you adjust the sights. [/quote][/quote]

Can you explain the "lots of dry firing" to a newbie like me? I always thought dry firing was hard on a weapon?

amc31b

Post by amc31b » 25 Nov 2008, 05:26

Dry firing is exactly what it sounds like, you shoot the gun with no ammo or using dummy ammo. Take your pistol (make sure it is unloaded first, dont always trust the loaded chamber indicator) and an EMPTY magazine and just practice pulling the trigger. Focus on; holding the pistol steady, keeping the sights aligned and not moving any part of your hand except your trigger finger while you pull the trigger. Also make sure you are not jerking the pistol or moving the sights off target when the trigger breaks. You dont need to pull the slide all the way back after each shot either. Just pull it back about quarter way and it will cock the hammer for the next shot.
Doing this is not hard on your gun as long as it is not really old or a rimfire caliber. If for some reason your gun (were talking non antique, center fire guns, in good condition here) did break from dry firing, it would mean something was very wrong and FN would cover the repair/replacement under their warranty. Come to think of it, I have never heard a gun company state that dry firing their product (unless it is a rimfire or something strange) voids the warranty.

GT1R390

Post by GT1R390 » 25 Nov 2008, 08:43

I agree with dry firing...i'll definitely continue to do that. That's how i was able to shoot better with my MP45. I was disappointed when i 1st got the MP45 also...but after getting used to it, i'm thrilled to have it...reliable, accurate, and feels great in my hands.

5-7 grip fits very well too...although i have small hands...the shape of the grip fits well with my skinny fingers. and too late, i've already messed with the rear sites...ahahaha. that's ok...like i said, my main concern was function testing, and she worked fine...when i can get more ammo...i'll definitely try to site it in.

maybe i should take out my mag discon...make it easier to dry fire without having to pull the mag in and out after every shot.

:guns:

amc31b

Post by amc31b » 25 Nov 2008, 13:59

GT1R390 wrote: maybe i should take out my mag discon...make it easier to dry fire without having to pull the mag in and out after every shot.

Like I said above, you dont have to keep inserting and dropping the magazine between shots. You only have to pull the slide back about one quarter of it's travel to cock the hammer for the next shot. Taking your magazine disconnect out will void your warranty.

GT1R390

Post by GT1R390 » 25 Nov 2008, 14:22

amc31b wrote:
GT1R390 wrote: maybe i should take out my mag discon...make it easier to dry fire without having to pull the mag in and out after every shot.

Like I said above, you dont have to keep inserting and dropping the magazine between shots. You only have to pull the slide back about one quarter of it's travel to cock the hammer for the next shot. Taking your magazine disconnect out will void your warranty.

so the slide won't scrape on the follower? or will it? any damage on the follower i should worry about? I'll give it a try...sounds much easier than trying to take out the mag discon...

BTW do all 5-7's come with Mag Discon.? I know in CA we hafta have it, when buying new.

found a way to bypass the mag discon. without actual removal...just moving a retention thingy.....

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/show ... stcount=49" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

here's the link for it...what do ya'll think?

Esteves
Wiki Moderator
custom title: Shhh!

Post by Esteves » 25 Nov 2008, 14:46

GT1R390 wrote:maybe i should take out my mag discon...make it easier to dry fire without having to pull the mag in and out after every shot.
Or use a magazine dedicated to dry fire. Remove the spring and follower so that the slide won't lock. Paint the magazine plate dayglo orange or safety blue.
--
S
© 2004-2019 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

GT1R390

Post by GT1R390 » 25 Nov 2008, 15:08

Esteves wrote:
GT1R390 wrote:maybe i should take out my mag discon...make it easier to dry fire without having to pull the mag in and out after every shot.
Or use a magazine dedicated to dry fire. Remove the spring and follower so that the slide won't lock. Paint the magazine plate dayglo orange or safety blue.

good idea, i'll think bout that :clap:

anyone got any spare magazines, they wana send me??? :D

disassembled of course, if it holds more than 10 rnds.

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 25 Nov 2008, 15:16

Right.... :laugh:
كاف

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 25 Nov 2008, 15:22

Would be a great accessory from EA, some solid blue/orange polymer mags for dry fire training?

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 25 Nov 2008, 15:26

Only thing is that they may be as expensive as a regular mag if not a little more. :?:
كاف

GT1R390

Post by GT1R390 » 25 Nov 2008, 15:37

Esteves wrote:

thanks for the same advice...lol
got me confused...i'm on 3 different forums right now :monkey:

EARS

Post by EARS » 25 Nov 2008, 16:05

When I first got my USG, I was all over the target also. I tried adjustments to the sights, but it still was the same. Then I caught myself insticipaing the recoil. I was used to shooting 45acp all the time for many years. I put the sights back to factory specs. Tried again, and was dead on. Congrats on the purchase and happy shooting in the future.

GT1R390

Post by GT1R390 » 25 Nov 2008, 16:15

EARS wrote:When I first got my USG, I was all over the target also. I tried adjustments to the sights, but it still was the same. Then I caught myself insticipaing the recoil. I was used to shooting 45acp all the time for many years. I put the sights back to factory specs. Tried again, and was dead on. Congrats on the purchase and happy shooting in the future.

were you using the same ammo i was using? SS197? I did catch myself anticipating recoil a bit. i just gotta work on the dry firing...it'll help me get used to it. holding the 5-7 feels already natural in my skinny hands. Maybe 7.5 inches from thumb to pinky. just gotta work on the trigger...totally different from my MP45.

Also, i'm still new to the firearms scene...bought my 1st firearm/ar15 in Feb/March. since then i've gone gun crazy...got a total of 4 (2 AR's and now 2 pistols)...oh and an unbuilt lower :cool:

so i don't have as many years of experince as many of you...but thanks for the advice...i'll keep 'em all in mind...and see what works/dont work for me.

EARS

Post by EARS » 25 Nov 2008, 17:17

I was using the 197 ammo. You will do ok, practice is the key.

Esteves
Wiki Moderator
custom title: Shhh!

Post by Esteves » 25 Nov 2008, 17:40

f3rr37 wrote:Would be a great accessory from EA, some solid blue/orange polymer mags for dry fire training?
Fuzzy F3rr37's (dry) Fire Friend

AKA the F4 Super ShooTOR
--
S
© 2004-2019 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 25 Nov 2008, 17:50

:D

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 25 Nov 2008, 18:01

Esteves wrote:
thats a damn good idea! :guns:

amc31b

Post by amc31b » 25 Nov 2008, 21:14

"so the slide won't scrape on the follower? or will it? any damage on the follower i should worry about? I'll give it a try...sounds much easier than trying to take out the mag discon...

BTW do all 5-7's come with Mag Discon.? I know in CA we hafta have it, when buying new.

found a way to bypass the mag discon. without actual removal...just moving a retention thingy.....

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/show ... stcount=49" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

here's the link for it...what do ya'll think"

Some of the older model fiveseven's dont have it. All the newer IOM's and USG's will have it. The slide coming back on an empty magazine will not do any damage. If you lock the slide all the way back and then let it forward, it will scratch but not vice versa. Mostly because the follower is already pushed down and there is nothing sharp to scratch the follower on the underside of the slide. I cant see why that mod on the link you posted would not work but I dont think it's worth the risk of messing up the gun.

GT1R390

Post by GT1R390 » 26 Nov 2008, 09:58

thanks for the insight. i'll just keep my mag discon on for now....although it's tempting to take it out. after reading the instructions, it seems really easy...just move the tension bar? well, maybe it just look easy to do...lol

I'll wait and see...i should learn to shoot the gun 1st before doing any mods on it.