Confused, do I need laquer for a FiveSeven

Reloading info for the 5.7x28mm

Moderator: Grantness

DoubleJ

Confused, do I need laquer for a FiveSeven

Post by DoubleJ » 22 Dec 2012, 19:41

I've been looking for an hour now, and I'm not sure the answer. Is the laquer coating necessary for the FiveSeven, or just to get the boolits to feed in the PS90 magazine? I'd like to reload, but if I need the laquer, then I'd rather go with the sidewinder tumbler. Thanks.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Re: Confused, do I need laquer for a FiveSeven

Post by panzermk2 » 22 Dec 2012, 19:52

Yes it is. While some folks have made reloads work as a whole it creates problems.

Why do you want to remove it?
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Angel of Death

Post by Angel of Death » 22 Dec 2012, 19:59

Sort of on subject: is the laquer more important for the FiveseveN or the PS90 or equally important?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 22 Dec 2012, 20:02

Angel of Death wrote:Sort of on subject: is the laquer more important for the FiveseveN or the PS90 or equally important?

Equal, I have had uncoated brass separate instead of extracting from an FsN. I have also had feed and extraction issues with the P90/PS90.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Angel of Death

Post by Angel of Death » 22 Dec 2012, 20:04

panzermk2 wrote:
Angel of Death wrote:Sort of on subject: is the laquer more important for the FiveseveN or the PS90 or equally important?

Equal, I have had uncoated brass separate instead of extracting from an FsN. I have also had feed and extraction issues with the P90/PS90.
Good to know. I clean with a Hornady ultrasonic cleaner anyhow but am thinking about going to an aerosol spray for the case resizing because I haven't been able to figure out the lube on the pad without making a mess yet.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 22 Dec 2012, 20:06

I don't want to remove it, just wanted to know how necessary it was for my pistol. If it needs to stay on there, I'll go with the RCBS sidewinder instead of the vibrator tumbler so I can clean them in Simple Green as I've read here on the forum.

Edit: The Hornady ultrasonic cleaner is way cheaper than the sidewinder, which would be best for general reloading, with some 5.7 thrown in?

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 22 Dec 2012, 20:45

Not sure what laquer is.

Maybe it's lacquer?

:)

Welcome to the forum! People here are very helpful.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 22 Dec 2012, 20:56

I knew my spelling looked wrong... Long time lurker here

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 23 Dec 2012, 04:44

DoubleJ, If you aren't looking to spend a lot of cash, you can use a shallow container instead, just swirl it around with your fingers for a minute.
كاف

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 12 Jul 2013, 19:04

Necro! I got some once fire brass from a guy, and dumped it in my sack o brass. He called, said he had more dirty stuff, did I want him to tumble it first... I said, did you tuble the last batch. He did :( I told him I'd take it dirty, and also into the sack o brass it went. Problem is, I now have a sack o brass with maybe 75% once fired with lacquer (take that spelling Nazi!), and an unknown amount of brass that may have no lacquer. How do I tell which is which?

JollyRogers

Post by JollyRogers » 13 Jul 2013, 03:04

Isn't the tumbled stuff cleaner? I would think it would be cleaner then the other stuff. I would wash it all. My stuff that is cleaned through the tumbler is usually has a lot more shine then the 5.7 that I wash and dry.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 13 Jul 2013, 05:39

Sorry, middle of the night post, he tumbled it in a vibratory tumbler with dry media.

grimmond
Gold Member

Post by grimmond » 13 Jul 2013, 19:04

jmz5 wrote:DoubleJ, If you aren't looking to spend a lot of cash, you can use a shallow container instead, just swirl it around with your fingers for a minute.
:thumb: +1
"Let us never forget that good intelligence saves American lives and protects our freedom."
-Ronald Reagan

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 13 Jul 2013, 19:30

Yep, I'll take that advice, but how do I find out if this other guy damaged the lacquer coating by tumbing them in corn cobs?

JollyRogers

Post by JollyRogers » 14 Jul 2013, 04:48

Like I said, it will be shinier and cleaner if it was tumbled in the corncob media, especially if the lacquer is worn off. The brass under the lacquer coating has a nice shine to it. But the 1x shot stuff I have in a bag, that is not cleaned, is rather dirty, especially up around the neck. This is from AE and SS197, and pretty easy to tell the difference. The 1x brass I have that was SS198 is clean looking after being shot, but I can still tell the difference between it and stuff that has the lacquer taken off. The lacquer gives it sort of a dull sheen.

I just clean mine in a plastic container using dawn and hot water, several rinses. Then air dry it for a day or so.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 14 Jul 2013, 05:34

Ok, I see what you're saying. Give it all a good clean with SG, and any that's extra shiny may be compromised and needs to be set aside for when Savage releases a bolt action...