Concealed Carry: round in the chamber, or not?

General discussion.

When conceal carrying, do you prefer:

Hammer cocked, with a round in the chamber
46%
Hammer de-cocked, round in the chamber (double action pistols)
46%
Hammer de-cocked, no round in the chamber
8%

Total votes: 52

Raveren

Concealed Carry: round in the chamber, or not?

Post by Raveren » 24 Apr 2012, 08:04

This thread will attempt to discuss the possible states that various users choose to carry their firearms in, and the pros and cons of these options. Obviously, this is debate in which many may have strong feelings about, so respect and reasonable discussion above all else.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Re: Concealed Carry: round in the chamber, or not?

Post by Rapier1772 » 24 Apr 2012, 09:40

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9618" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2550" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And don't forget, state laws may apply.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 24 Apr 2012, 09:52

Unless not allowed by law, I always have one in the chamber. The only weapon I 'cock and lock' is my 1911. Otherwise, DA pistols, hammer is down.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 24 Apr 2012, 10:00

+1
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 24 Apr 2012, 10:16

Unloaded weapon is nothing put a paperweight....or a club

Raveren

Post by Raveren » 24 Apr 2012, 10:25

Rapier1772 wrote:viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9618
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2550" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And don't forget, state laws may apply.
Both threads good, the second one more so.

I was unaware that certain jurisdictions restrict carrying with a round in the chamber. Here in Florida I believe we are allowed to carry with a round chambered. Regardless, the law seems a bit difficult to reinforce.

I feel that the attitude that a round must be in the chamber is partly due to the way confrontational situations involving guns is portrayed in popular culture/movies etc.

Now I choose to carry WITHOUT a round chambered (partly because the only guns I have right now are single action trigger pulls) but because pistols are inadvertently mechanical, meaning failures of the mechanical nature can still occur, leading to accidents.

I feel that, god forbid should I ever have to draw, I feel that I would be able to work the slide quickly enough to defend myself from an armed threat. After all, many people who carry with a round chambered must still disengage their safeties instead of having to rack the slide, which also leaves room for error and eats up precious seconds.

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 24 Apr 2012, 11:28

I feel that the attitude that a round must be in the chamber is partly due to the way confrontational situations involving guns is portrayed in popular culture/movies etc.
Not exactly! A person within 7-10 feet of you can close that distance BEFORE you can draw and or charge your weapon. PERIOD end of sentence! I don't care how much of a gunslinger you are or think you are, it will happen and you will become a victim.

A good friend (thought the same as you) was jumped outside of a nightclub he tended bar at. The attackers got him to the ground and were beating his *** as he tried to draw, they saw the weapon and the 3 of them began struggling for it. The only thing that saved him was that we had worked on charging the weapon off of a stable object (loss of one arm drill) as he charged the pistol on the running board of his truck, the attackers were kicking him in the head and body. One dropped down with his knee on his chest and Jason burried the pistol in his ribs and fired twice. His buddy hearing the gun shot decided to beat feet and got two rounds in the back.
Cops were called and 20 minutes later others showed up and placed Jason underarrest for attempted murder! Apparently the thugs went to a near by fire department and said someone had tried to rob and car jack them. The only thing that saved hims was a video tape of the attack and the fact that we had palyed around at the range with a stupid idea of being shot in the arm and "how to you cock your weapon"....

Zhurdan

Post by Zhurdan » 24 Apr 2012, 12:03

This can be easily practiced... safely, as well.

Stand at the firing line with an empty gun, holstered.
Have someone (playing bad guy) stand behind you at 7 yards.
When they say go, clear garment and draw from concealment and dry fire (down range of course, away from the person behind you) and see if you can do it before they touch you on the shoulder. (please inform them NOT to run past you)

Like this...

Bad guy----------->> Good guy------------>> direction of draw and dry fire.

I'd have to see it to believe it for someone to draw, cycle and fire in less than the time it takes for someone to get 7 yards to you. In fact, having practiced the above drill, I've seen very few "gunslingers" who can do it repeatedly and reliably without having to cycle the gun.. I can, but just barely. It almost always ends up a tie and not an extended "aimed" shot, but a retention shot. (from concealment).

A lot of times, people get their "draw to first shot time" when the are anticipating the "beep" confused with the time it takes to actually recognize a threat AS a threat and do the same.

Pair this drill with someone who wants to push your training. If they're smart and helpful to the end result, they'll let you sit there waiting for the "go" signal until they see you're body position change (either out of frustration for waiting, or shaking off the anticipation/relaxing a bit). Then see how much time you have. It's not easy and it's not something I'd want to have to do in a split second (charge the gun)

Zhurdan

Post by Zhurdan » 24 Apr 2012, 12:11

Raveren wrote: Now I choose to carry WITHOUT a round chambered (partly because the only guns I have right now are single action trigger pulls) but because pistols are inadvertently mechanical, meaning failures of the mechanical nature can still occur, leading to accidents.

I feel that, god forbid should I ever have to draw, I feel that I would be able to work the slide quickly enough to defend myself from an armed threat. After all, many people who carry with a round chambered must still disengage their safeties instead of having to rack the slide, which also leaves room for error and eats up precious seconds.
Your body is a mechanical devise. What happens if you short stroke the gun? What happens if you fumble the gun? Etc.etc.etc.

Things can be "what if'd" to death. Guns have a mechanical safety on them. Those safeties can be flicked off in a fraction of a second ON THE WAY to the sight picture. That will always be faster than charging the gun.

As far as accidents (ND's)... keep your booger hook off the bang switch and use quality gear (holsters that cover the trigger guard) and the likelihood of the gun going off is far more dependent on the person than the gear.

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 24 Apr 2012, 12:31

I always carry cocked and locked when the firearm is capable. My LCP has no safety, but i do carry it with a round in the chamber and a holster that covers the trigger.

Llagoud
custom title: A is A

Post by Llagoud » 24 Apr 2012, 12:34

:thumb: Thank you. That is the exact video I was searching for to post.

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 24 Apr 2012, 12:36

Llagoud wrote::thumb: Thank you. That is the exact video I was searching for to post.
Welcome. :)

Raveren

Post by Raveren » 24 Apr 2012, 13:47

Zhurdan wrote:This can be easily practiced... safely, as well.

Stand at the firing line with an empty gun, holstered.
Have someone (playing bad guy) stand behind you at 7 yards.
When they say go, clear garment and draw from concealment and dry fire (down range of course, away from the person behind you) and see if you can do it before they touch you on the shoulder. (please inform them NOT to run past you)

Like this...

Bad guy----------->> Good guy------------>> direction of draw and dry fire.

I'd have to see it to believe it for someone to draw, cycle and fire in less than the time it takes for someone to get 7 yards to you. In fact, having practiced the above drill, I've seen very few "gunslingers" who can do it repeatedly and reliably without having to cycle the gun.. I can, but just barely. It almost always ends up a tie and not an extended "aimed" shot, but a retention shot. (from concealment).

A lot of times, people get their "draw to first shot time" when the are anticipating the "beep" confused with the time it takes to actually recognize a threat AS a threat and do the same.

Pair this drill with someone who wants to push your training. If they're smart and helpful to the end result, they'll let you sit there waiting for the "go" signal until they see you're body position change (either out of frustration for waiting, or shaking off the anticipation/relaxing a bit). Then see how much time you have. It's not easy and it's not something I'd want to have to do in a split second (charge the gun)
A very good drill to run! definitely think this is an excellent way to test.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 24 Apr 2012, 17:24

I use no safety.

And no gun.

Carry rocks. If you can't throw them fast enough, you can use them to bash your attacker on your head.

I needn't worry about bashing, though I do practice it. As I can draw and hit the attacker in the face in 1.2 seconds. I also throw very accurate rocks that are less than 1 inch at 100 yds, so I don't need to post repeating threads about the topic over and over again on the forum.

Blue

CHHHHHHHHHHHT

out.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 24 Apr 2012, 19:43

:lmao: :lmao:

The Keymaster
custom title: Keeper Of The Keys

Post by The Keymaster » 25 Apr 2012, 06:17

We did an interesting drill in a class that I took part in last year. The instructor would stand behind the shooter. The instructor would then tap the shooter on the shoulder, turn and run. The shooter would draw his pistol, and shoot from the hip. The object for the shooter was to hit a paper plate. The shooter would then holster his weapon, and turn to see how far the instructor had run from him in that time. The average distance with 9 shooters and 3 runs per shooter was 22 feet 5 inches.

I have always carried a round in the chamber, and will always do so. This drill reinforced previous training that taught us that we cannot stand still when a threat approaches, and that it imperative to have a round in the chamber. Learning to shoot while moving backward and/or laterally can enhance a persons chances of getting the shot off, but there will never be time to rack the slide in a close threat encounter.

ddouglas
Gold Member

Post by ddouglas » 25 Apr 2012, 06:33

Keymaster,
I had heard that "21 feet" was the distance a BG could cover before you could draw and fire, but I had never seen anything that described how that number was arrived at, or shown to be true. Thanks for the very enlightening tidbit. I too will now carry with a round in the chamber.

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 25 Apr 2012, 07:41

Moving to the side or at an angle from the attack increases distance, while making the attacker decide to change their path (also slowing them down)

Llagoud
custom title: A is A

Post by Llagoud » 25 Apr 2012, 07:55

:thumb: OODA or in blue's case OODAEC (Observe Orient Decide Act Eat Cookie)

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 25 Apr 2012, 08:28

:laugh:
Actually that whole thing gets scrambled if blue has his cookies. There's no telling what will happen first when he's on a rush :laugh:
I still wanna see him do one of his shoots while he's on a cookie rush :lmao:

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member
custom title: FNP-45 Cylon

Post by jgreenberg01 » 25 Apr 2012, 08:34

Wait, he wasn't high on cookies in all those running & gunning vids?!?!?

We're all doomed...
0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 25 Apr 2012, 09:11

jgreenberg01 wrote:Wait, he wasn't high on cookies in all those running & gunning vids?!?!?
We're all doomed...
Just had a thought (mainly cuz blue hates this topic) when zombie day hits, ensure you have a supply of white chocolate & macadamia nut cookies. Before the phone lines go dead, let him know that you have some for him & all he has to do is get there.
When he does get there, let him have the cookies & turn him loose :laugh: zombies wouldn't stand a chance :lmao:

But we're getting way off topic with that & I realized I didn't post my opinion in this thread (although it is posted in the linked threads).
SA - cocked, & locked
DA - chambered, & usually hammer down.

I recommend chambered when carrying for all those previously listed reasons but I don't fault people for deciding against it. Personal choice, go with what you are comfortable with.
Even if it is the wrong choice :p

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member

Post by jgreenberg01 » 25 Apr 2012, 09:19

Oops, I didn't stay on topic either. I carry cocked & locked with 21 rounds of S4M love for the BGs.

And I carry double stuff oreos as well.
0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 25 Apr 2012, 11:55

In that video, even with a round chambered she is likely DEAD! his second knife thrust hit her under her armpit and looked like close to the artery. Without medical treatment QUICKLY she could bleed out. Just goes to show you never let someone that close to you.

CenCalSplicer

Post by CenCalSplicer » 25 Apr 2012, 15:42

I carry my G30 chambered and ready to go and like the idea of training to move when a threat is assessed to increase their distance and slow them down by having to react to their target. Practicing that is the only way to prevent an attack similar to what that woman faced in that video. Rocks and cookiez are another great idea :p

Ubetit

Post by Ubetit » 26 Apr 2012, 04:15

Always chambered. I can't 100% reliably draw from concealment anyway as sometimes I fumble with my shirt. I don't want to add yet another step.

Raveren

Post by Raveren » 26 Apr 2012, 06:50

Yes, there are certainly some very good arguments being made that support the option of a round in the chamber, but also consider this:

It is nearly unanimous among concealed CCW individuals that the last thing they want to do is shoot someone. So in a life or death situation, an individual must still do all they can to avoid discharging their firearm. That being said, it would be valid to say that just merely drawing any firearm (cocked or not cocked) would have an immediate psychological effect on the offender. Note that the weapon focus effect is a well-documented psychological phenomenon. The mere presence of a weapon is enough to end conflicts in some cases, not all of course.

Zhurdan

Post by Zhurdan » 26 Apr 2012, 07:22

Raveren wrote:Yes, there are certainly some very good arguments being made that support the option of a round in the chamber, but also consider this:

It is nearly unanimous among concealed CCW individuals that the last thing they want to do is shoot someone. So in a life or death situation, an individual must still do all they can to avoid discharging their firearm. That being said, it would be valid to say that just merely drawing any firearm (cocked or not cocked) would have an immediate psychological effect on the offender. Note that the weapon focus effect is a well-documented psychological phenomenon. The mere presence of a weapon is enough to end conflicts in some cases, not all of course.
Coming from a person (me) who's had to draw their weapon and NOT shoot, I wouldn't bet on the gun stopping a fight simply by it being present. EVER! You are gambling with your life, potentially, and if you're that lucky all the time, you might not even need to carry a gun. ;-)

My situation escalated rather slowly... and by slowly, I mean over about 20 seconds. He'd expressed his willingness to "kill me" from distance, had the means necessary to do so (tire iron) and was eye locked with me as he approached. I drew my gun to low ready as he made his approach and he didn't even see it. He was so focused on my eyes and his own rage that he simply didn't see it. Once the gun was brought up to eye level and the safety flicked off, I was already applying pressure to the trigger when he finally saw it. Things changed rapidly for him. He dropped the tire iron and became VERY compliant.

Had I needed to rack a round at that point, it'd have been lights out for me. I'm not willing to count on a crazy, rage filled person to "notice" the gun. I had every intent (and legal precedent) to drop his ass with a bang and a flash, but the situation changed and so did my decision. Self defense situations are fluid and change over time, but I most definitely want time on my side... not theirs.

You're mileage may vary, but when we have to deal in fractions of a second, I'm not willing to give the bad guy any time advantage.

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 26 Apr 2012, 07:58

He's lucky you had the timing to wait. I can say for sure that if a perp is within 10-15 FT (feet not yards) and is advancing with a weapon, I'm shooting.
Gotta do what makes you comfortable OP but I wish you all the best and hope for those
extra seconds you may need if SHTF

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 26 Apr 2012, 08:11

+1

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 26 Apr 2012, 08:58

Raveren wrote:Yes, there are certainly some very good arguments being made that support the option of a round in the chamber, but also consider this:

The whole reason we're carrying is "what if...?" So consider this, what if it doesn't?

Are you willing to bet your life and/or that of your loved ones that you can rack the slide in an adrenaline filled situation?

I've been in a couple of adrenaline filled situations in my time (car accidents, attacks, sharks, etc...) & I can tell you this, usually I have only one thought in the time it takes for that to happen. My attention is focused on dealing with what is coming at me immediately & not on manipulating something so that I can maybe deal with it if it doesn't go away.

Now, if you train that way all the time <very important step>, then you might have a chance, IF you have the extra second.

PS, there is also documented proof that actually firing a gun doesn't always end a conflict.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 26 Apr 2012, 11:03

Do what you want. But I personally think carrying a gun without a round chambered is reckless.

The Keymaster

Post by The Keymaster » 26 Apr 2012, 13:13

Here is another drill. In a controlled environment (range), using snap cap ammo, with someone timing you draw and fire your weapon with a dummy round chambered. Do this 10 times. Then perform the same drill without a round chambered, having to rack the slide. Firstly, you will be amazed at how long it takes to rack the slide. It interferes with the entire process of drawing the weapon and bringing it to a ready position. Secondly, it brings the weak hand into play. Where the weak hand should be totally out of the picture until it is brought onto the pistol in the straight out motion to the ready position, the tendency when racking the slide is to bring that hand up and out the same time the draw takes place inviting a really dangerous situation. Also keep in mind, that you cannot shoot from a lower position on your body when having to rack the slide. In the drill I mentioned earlier, we shot as soon as the weapon cleared the holster and was pointed at the target. You cannot rack the slide and perform that maneuver. Ir was a part of the training because it could save your life. I have been taught in every class I have attended that a firearm without a round in the chamber is not a firearm.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 26 Apr 2012, 15:07

The Keymaster wrote:I have been taught in every class I have attended that a firearm without a round in the chamber is not a firearm.
Ask a cop -> loaded mag (w/gun or gun nearby) = loaded gun, chambered or not.

The Keymaster

Post by The Keymaster » 26 Apr 2012, 17:28

I was talking about the practical aspect, not the legal aspect.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 26 Apr 2012, 19:13

Rapier1772 wrote:
The Keymaster wrote:I have been taught in every class I have attended that a firearm without a round in the chamber is not a firearm.
Ask a cop -> loaded mag (w/gun or gun nearby) = loaded gun, chambered or not.

I just looked it up. IF you have a valid CCL or reciprocal CCL, there is not a single law that precludes you from carrying a loaded, chambered weapon.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 26 Apr 2012, 20:14

flyingirish04 wrote:I just looked it up. IF you have a valid CCL or reciprocal CCL, there is not a single law that precludes you from carrying a loaded, chambered weapon.
I realize that, but what I am saying is response to this post:
All I meant was just because there isn't a round in the chamber, that does not preclude it from being a firearm.

Personally Key, I agree that a practical CCW should be chambered. But far be it from me to denounce anyone else's educated opinion about it. All we can do is provide the facts & hope other people learn.

Also, ask any idiot who was "sure" the gun wasn't loaded & it "just went off" - it's still a firearm :laugh:

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 27 Apr 2012, 00:08

This thread has made me laugh. Since I am in IL the only without CCW I can only carry a gun unloaded and cased. Now the case can be a fanny pack but the gun still can't be loaded. So yes I carry without one in the chamber.

Although to throw some gas on the fire.

The Israeli's carry practice is with the chamber empty and they don't seem to have any issues shooting vest bombers in the head before they can set off the bomb or shooting crazed Palestinians rampaging in giant earth movers.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

apvbguy

Post by apvbguy » 27 Apr 2012, 03:21

1. if you train as much as the isreali military does, go ahead carry like they do
2. if you think that a BG will allow you to call a time out so you can rack your weapon, you deserve to die.
3. in a gun fight he who puts lead on the other guy first usually wins.
4. you can do as you please but to advocate not carrying with a round in the chamber is IMHO foolish, all you are carrying in that condition is a heavy paperweight

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 27 Apr 2012, 09:10

Uhh, panzer, I think comparing U.S. CCW to Israeli citizens is a bit different. Doesn't EVERYBODY in Israel carry concealed? Teachers, mailmen, rabbis,...everybody? So...regardless of whether there is a round in the chamber or not, SOMEBODY is gonna take that bomber out.

brianz

Post by brianz » 27 Apr 2012, 09:21

I answered as best I could, as I carry a Glock 23 with a round in the chamber, and contrary to a recent episode of The Closer, there is no hammer to cock.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 27 Apr 2012, 09:30

Rapier1772 wrote:
flyingirish04 wrote:I just looked it up. IF you have a valid CCL or reciprocal CCL, there is not a single law that precludes you from carrying a loaded, chambered weapon.
I realize that, but what I am saying is response to this post:
All I meant was just because there isn't a round in the chamber, that does not preclude it from being a firearm.

Personally Key, I agree that a practical CCW should be chambered. But far be it from me to denounce anyone else's educated opinion about it. All we can do is provide the facts & hope other people learn.

Also, ask any idiot who was "sure" the gun wasn't loaded & it "just went off" - it's still a firearm :laugh:

I get ya. Sorry.

As far as it 'just went off', it is almost always a negligent pull of the trigger. I say almost, because I had an experience of a faulty firing spring pin leaving the pin out, and when the slide went forward to chamber a round, it fired the weapon. That being said, no one was injured because I alway have a weapon pointed down range and in a safe direction when letting the slide forward or chambering a round.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 27 Apr 2012, 13:36

Cyberfly wrote:Uhh, panzer, I think comparing U.S. CCW to Israeli citizens is a bit different. Doesn't EVERYBODY in Israel carry concealed? Teachers, mailmen, rabbis,...everybody? So...regardless of whether there is a round in the chamber or not, SOMEBODY is gonna take that bomber out.

No they open carry more then they CCW.

Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 27 Apr 2012, 14:31

Where are the mags?

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 27 Apr 2012, 14:38

Use your imagination. New definition of 'buried cache'....:p

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 27 Apr 2012, 14:38

Rapier1772 wrote:Where are the mags?

Carried up front. Usually stuffed in a pocket. Regular IDF serving their mandatory time don't get all sorts of fancy gear.

Funny they can kick all sorts of ass without 2 grand in Voo Doo tactical hanging off them. Don't they know they can't do that without the mandatory gear?
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 27 Apr 2012, 15:27

flyingirish04 wrote:Use your imagination. New definition of 'buried cache'....:p
Like the cell phone in "Machete"? nah, Israelis have more class than that.

fd57

Post by fd57 » 27 Apr 2012, 15:32

Really whomever said "ask a police officer if they carry chambered or not" put it in perspective. Are there any departments that carry without a round chambered on the ready?

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 27 Apr 2012, 17:38

Going after "a bomber or terrorist" is different than having someone within 10-15 from you. I would hazard a guess that plenty of innocent "armed" israelis have been killed before they could lock and load..Just because they carry like that doens't mean someone had seen something and been unable to react it time.

Lobo
Gold Member

Post by Lobo » 27 Apr 2012, 18:28

panzermk2 wrote:
Cyberfly wrote:Uhh, panzer, I think comparing U.S. CCW to Israeli citizens is a bit different. Doesn't EVERYBODY in Israel carry concealed? Teachers, mailmen, rabbis,...everybody? So...regardless of whether there is a round in the chamber or not, SOMEBODY is gonna take that bomber out.

oh yes, now picture that on a topless beach at Eilat, Israel :drool:
(oh I thank the guy who invented mirror sunglasses :cool: )

(the funny part was me asking how they don't get a tan line from the strap)

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 27 Apr 2012, 23:39

Lobo wrote:
panzermk2 wrote:

oh yes, now picture that on a topless beach at Eilat, Israel :drool:
(oh I thank the guy who invented mirror sunglasses :cool: )

(the funny part was me asking how they don't get a tan line from the strap)

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Don't have to been there done that, the mirror sun glass part.

This is from the Hotel Daniel just north of the marina.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 28 Apr 2012, 05:15

You need a bigger zoom :laugh:

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member

Post by jgreenberg01 » 28 Apr 2012, 06:16

Rapier1772 wrote:You need a bigger zoom :laugh:
:agree:

Size does matter... camera lens size, of course.

Agent

Post by Agent » 30 Apr 2012, 17:53

Carrying a gun is preparing for a once in a lifetime event, and people who carry without a round in the chamber are giving the bad guy an advantage. In a deadly force situation, I'll be using my left arm to defend myself and not to rack my gun. Trying to find something to catch your slide on to chamber a round while you're fighting with an armed subject? Ridiculous.

eagleshotz
custom title: You like that

Post by eagleshotz » 10 May 2012, 20:41

:ttiwwp: :agree:

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 10 Sep 2015, 11:28

http://bearingarms.com/empty-chamber-ca ... n=baupdate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The link is an article about empty chamber carry, its origins & use even today; mostly about why it's a bad idea.
Saw this gem about the US & Israeli military carrying with an empty chamber:
Israeli military leaders want their troop carrying handguns with an empty chamber for the same reason American commanders do: derp is a universal problem.
:laugh: (BTW, author was speaking about the people who have not had special training)

There's also "virtual shooting simulator" video on the page.

If this happened at my house, I'd have my hand on my gun. But in a public area like a parking lot, I don't know that I would have done that - until now.

Either way, the point for carrying chambered is made several times.

WhiteFether
custom title: Student of the Gun

Post by WhiteFether » 14 Sep 2015, 16:23

Cocked and ready to rock ..........

Rrainman

Post by Rrainman » 01 Jan 2016, 06:13

I've always carried with one in the chamber. I agree with that I would not want to take the time to chamber a round in an emergency situation. And with a semi, I like the idea of an additional round of ammo. And personally, I could not imagine giving up a chamber on a revolver simple to not be resting on a live round. Of course, with all that said, it is important to have very good discipline and training to mitigate the risks of one in the pipe. As far as a mechanical failure of the safeties are concerned, with as much liability and lawyers involved at the manufacturers, I bet any such failures are ultra-rare.