Squibs

General reloading

Moderator: Grantness

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Squibs

Post by Rapier1772 » 18 Feb 2012, 02:05

It wasn't on my FsN but I finally had a squib which was jammed in the barrel. I couldn't knock it out with the squib rod I made so I drilled it out using a bit which was smaller than the bore. Still wouldn't come out so I tossed it in the freezer for a few hours & then in the toaster oven for a few minutes. Still wouldn't budge :wall: So I just sat there tossing a larger drill bit down the barrel from the muzzle end - hoping it would eventually dislodge it.
It finally did & I'll clean it up tomorrow.

But my purpose for this thread is what's the best way to handle a squib (other than be more careful when loading so you don't get one) ? I have a screw driver which I cut the end off of & tried to knock it out with that while I was at the range. But when that doesn't work, is there something like a screw extractor I can use to pull the smeggin thing out?
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Re: Squibs

Post by panzermk2 » 18 Feb 2012, 13:08

Wood dowel and a hammer.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 18 Feb 2012, 13:30

and lots of lube.

Don't let Greenberg see this thread...
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 18 Feb 2012, 19:18

I had a squib rod, was metal not wood but it shoulda worked. Guess I'll just smack it harder if there's a next time :?:

As for lube - how do you get lube in between the bullet & barrel after it gets stuck? I can squirt WD40 down the barrel but if it can't get between then it won't do any good.

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 20 Feb 2012, 16:09

PB blaster is very good at getting in between.
كاف

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 20 Feb 2012, 18:12

Peanut butter blaster? :p :laugh:

Never heard of it, I had to look it up. Doesn't look familiar - who sells it?
EDIT: Found some at Home Depot

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 20 Feb 2012, 21:20

jmz5 wrote:PB blaster is very good at getting in between.

It's also great for what it was designed for and as a belt dressing.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

VeTTeMaNC486

Post by VeTTeMaNC486 » 23 Feb 2012, 11:06

jmz5 wrote:PB blaster is very good at getting in between.
PB blaster is great when working on rusty vehicles. I imagine it would work well for helping remove a squib.

I had a couple squibs before in my FNP .45 (have since corrected the problem) and I was shocked at how hard you have to pound to get the slug out the barrel.

Gearhead721

Post by Gearhead721 » 27 Jun 2012, 05:37

It also fixes sticky toilet valves. read the can.

Hobknob
Gold Member

Post by Hobknob » 27 Jun 2012, 20:40

Against the recommendations of the gun-forum commandos (99% of whom have never tried nor presented valid arguments for their opinions) you could make up a mild bullet-less "barrel clearing" load.

That being said, if it's a primer-only squib, they're usually barely stuck at all and don't require much work to just tap out.
-- Thank you for calling 911 emergency services, please hold --
~~ \|/ ~~

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 27 Jun 2012, 21:15

You mean use a blank?
Can't think of how else you'd keep the powder in the shell. Gotta have something cover the 'would be' bullet end.

Mine was stuck pretty solid in the bore but still not very far; it prevented the next round from chambering (thankfully). Better to disassemble & knock it out I think

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 27 Jun 2012, 21:33

Hobknob wrote:Against the recommendations of the gun-forum commandos (99% of whom have never tried nor presented valid arguments for their opinions) you could make up a mild bullet-less "barrel clearing" load.

That being said, if it's a primer-only squib, they're usually barely stuck at all and don't require much work to just tap out.

OK what you would be doing then is turning the area from the primer to the stuck bullet into a chamber.

Once you get outside the chamber area the metal is thinner and in the case of a two piece barrel a different metal. Ether way once out of the chamber the metal is not as strong.

You now have created a very large chamber. How will your powder charge react in this large chamber?

It would be interesting to find out although I think it would end poorly.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 27 Jun 2012, 21:55

panzermk2 wrote:
Hobknob wrote:Against the recommendations of the gun-forum commandos (99% of whom have never tried nor presented valid arguments for their opinions) you could make up a mild bullet-less "barrel clearing" load.

OK what you would be doing then is turning the area from the primer to the stuck bullet into a chamber.

Once you get outside the chamber area the metal is thinner and in the case of a two piece barrel a different metal. Ether way once out of the chamber the metal is not as strong.

You now have created a very large chamber. How will your powder charge react in this large chamber?

It would be interesting to find out although I think it would end poorly.
Not only that... but the case wouldn't seal properly since there is no bullet in the case, and that initial pressure spike that seals the case to the chamber would probably leak out around the case.
:(

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 28 Jun 2012, 14:07

WOW I totally spaced the fact you could create a sealed pressure holding chamber.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Kilibreaux

Post by Kilibreaux » 19 Jul 2012, 23:34

Depending on how close the stuck bullet is to the bore would determine the potential for success in using a "blank" to clear it. The closer to the chamber the better. Think about it...if chamber pressure peaks at 50K psi with the bullet still in place, when the bullet has moved far enough to double the volume, pressure will be halved. WAY down at the end of a barrel, driving pressure is quite modest. To attempt forcing out such a bullet with a blank load is to invite disaster if for no other reason the compression created ahead of the driving charge that will most assuredly bulge the barrel.

Weatherby once demonstrated the strength of their action by manually hammering a bullet firmly into the barrel of their .300 Weatherby rifle-about 3" inside the bore. They then fired a BLUE PILL load behind and the gun held....proving to the world that Weatherby wasn't just another "name."

The thing is, the FsN isn't a locked breech design and whatever is fired in it will actuate the mechanism, likely to the detriment of the firearm. One MIGHT try some method of locking the action shut to force gas pressure to move that which is movable, but again, this is not ideal.

Unfortunately a stuck bullet demands a well-fitted mandrel, a good holding device, and a hammer.

adyszel

Post by adyszel » 01 Nov 2012, 10:41

Sorry to raise this thread back from the dead but I read the part about using a bullet-less cartridge to clear a squibbed bullet in the barrel. I did this once on a pocket pistol to clear a squib. It was a 9mm. The bullet was stuck half way down the 3" barrel. I loaded I think 0.2 grain of unique and the bullet popped out with minimal energy left over. I'm not an expert on interior ballistics, so can someone explain to me the problem and physically why its a bad idea (I don't doubt that it is, I just don't fully understand why outside of its a bad idea on blowback/recoil operated actions.) I should understand this being a physics major but I was asleep at the wheel for a lot of the statistical mechanics classes.

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator
custom title: Sweeper

Post by MrSlippyFist » 01 Nov 2012, 11:08

I agree, as a physics major and one who operates firearms you should understand. Its a bad idea when you can just use a dowel. Don't put any tool thru stresses it was not designed for.
Embrace the Suck

Gunpoor

Post by Gunpoor » 05 Aug 2020, 09:56

Leav it to the FNG to raise a thread from the dead!!---
Ive had 2

squibs in my lifetime. First was a 45acp that was loaded on a "Green press" with that damn Micky Mouse piggyback conversion. I HATED that thing!! Always somethimg screwy with it if memory serves.... Most importantly I caught it and with wooden dowel and hammer was good to go.
Second squib was yesterday afternoon. Firing my Ruger 57. This time it was a FACTORY ROUND.... DID I MENTION IT WAS A FACTORY ROUND???!!!!! I guess they can fk up too. Federal AE 40gn. Lot #06051220.
I guess moral of the story. If spmethimg doesn't feel right, stop and find out why.... Inspect bore, blah blah blah..... Stay safe!!
"GUNPOOR"

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 05 Aug 2020, 11:27

The American Eagle stuff is pure shit. There has been no end of issues with it.

Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Gunpoor

Post by Gunpoor » 05 Aug 2020, 16:11

Thanks for the response Jay!!!! Im in complete agreement. Had another one today. This one didnt "foul" the barell..... How i dont know....one is one too many!! Ive gpt 5-6 boxes of this BULLSHIT!! Once i cal m down i will have to make a decision in regards to it.......
GUNPOOR
And now bullet poor........

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 05 Aug 2020, 18:48

Holy donkey balls! I wouldn't even load those into a magazine, let alone try to shoot them. You have every right to be pissed.

Gunpoor

Post by Gunpoor » 07 Aug 2020, 16:59

Its been a crazy week and i have yet to contact Federal..... U R correct, pissed and scared as well!! If u can squib 2 shells out of one box; what prevents u from over/double charging one or more???!!!!! Their accuracy sucks as far as im concerned. The SS197SR does well. The re-loads that i have recently started loading do well (light to mid range loads)... Think i got 6 or 7 boxes of that "other shit'.... What to do??? Give it all back??? Pull em all??? Cant trust em so i wont b firing any more of em...... Guess I gotta see what Fed has to say. Prob wont b what i want to hear!!! Most likely ill end up pullen em... Or send em all to J at Elite....

rustypipes12

Post by rustypipes12 » 12 Mar 2021, 09:23

I actually recently sent some Fiochii back after a squib with blue tip V-max. When I contacted their VP of sales here in the US, he didn't even know that they made the ammo! Apparently Freedom group puts people in charge of shit they know nothing about! I wrote to the President and was shortly after contacted by the plant manager. They sent me a gift card and an apology and he turned out to be a pretty decent guy.
As far as squibs go, I've had a few through the years. The smaller the diameter the less likely you're going to knock it out with a wooden dowel! I've had success freezing the barrel then heating it with a hair dryer in combination with Kroil which is hands down, the best penetrating oil on the planet! Setting the barrel on a wooden plank over a hard surface like concrete and using a brass rod with rounded edges as close to the bore diameter as possible to push the bullet toward the breech unless it's more than 1/2 way down the barrel will usually work. The tips on most small caliber bullets are made to expand so that will add resistance and why you want something fairly close to bore diameter.