How to hit at 100 yds?

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

2ND AMND

How to hit at 100 yds?

Post by 2ND AMND » 23 Apr 2011, 08:53

I'd like to try to hit a target at 100 yds, and there is probably some other people watching so Id like to get it right. Are you using the iron open sights or something else? and are you using a rest or not? Any advice you can offer? Thanks

Robar

Re: How to hit at 100 yds?

Post by Robar » 23 Apr 2011, 09:25

Practice practice practice. Front sight squeeze. There is never other people watching or even in the area. It is you alone in your bubble. Nothing else matters. If you're going to do it, do it free hand no support. JMO.

Young Guns

Post by Young Guns » 23 Apr 2011, 10:00

Robar wrote:Practice practice practice. Front sight squeeze. There is never other people watching or even in the area. It is you alone in your bubble. Nothing else matters. If you're going to do it, do it free hand no support. JMO.
+1. 100 yards isn't all that far, should be no big deal.

Mister Freeze
custom title: 159.6

Post by Mister Freeze » 23 Apr 2011, 14:16

With an FsN? And ss197? Rest, iron sights (adjustable with factory setting), mind the wind, and aim for the head. You'll get a 17" drop to center mass.

Nickf150fx4

Post by Nickf150fx4 » 23 Apr 2011, 14:24

@misterfreeze: Is that from 100 out? If so nice Shooting! :thumb:

Mister Freeze

Post by Mister Freeze » 23 Apr 2011, 15:54

Yes, 100 yds. Just to see if I could. I've not had a chance to try again. Keep in mind that is a 1/2 size silhouette. Others have given a shot :D but I've not seen any 100yd ONLY targets.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 23 Apr 2011, 18:35

It is possible for sure. You are limited to a large group being that the sights are so large. I have killed a yote at about 40 yards with one. That is the furthest that I have taken anything with it though
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

2ND AMND

Post by 2ND AMND » 24 Apr 2011, 18:58

Thanks all for the advice. I still need to sight in it. What distance should I sight it in at?

Robar

Post by Robar » 24 Apr 2011, 19:14

2ND AMND wrote:Thanks all for the advice. I still need to sight in it. What distance should I sight it in at?
Some of that depends on what you plan on using it for. If it's strictly for home defense I would sight it in at the longest distance you can see in your house. Such as the distance across the living room or down a hall way. As a carry weapon I would sight it in for 15 yards, then document any drop or rise at different distances. If you only plan on shooting at 100 yards thats what I would sight it in for.

Mister Freeze

Post by Mister Freeze » 24 Apr 2011, 20:07

+1. I keep a log of all my sights and document adjustments so I can dial back to any known zero.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 24 Apr 2011, 20:17

2ND AMND wrote:Thanks all for the advice. I still need to sight in it. What distance should I sight it in at?
I see this question many times, but rarely the correct answer.

I sight my pistols in at 50 yards. While I might never have to use it at that range, I am comfortable using any of my handguns at 100 yards to take out a man-sized target if I do not have anything else for the job.

At 50 yards, anything closer will be pretty irrelevant in regards to your adjustments, as the elevation variation at closer ranges such as 30 feet will not vary very much. However, if you only account for 30 feet adjustments, if you have to hit a farther target, it will fail.

Think about it from both perspectives, and realize that the farther adjustment covers both far and close. Vice versa does not apply. :cool:
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

ShockedNKansas
custom title: G0 SH0X

Post by ShockedNKansas » 25 Apr 2011, 07:07

Robar wrote:
Some of that depends on what you plan on using it for. If it's strictly for home defense I would sight it in at the longest distance you can see in your house. Such as the distance across the living room or down a hall way. As a carry weapon I would sight it in for 15 yards, then document any drop or rise at different distances. If you only plan on shooting at 100 yards thats what I would sight it in for.
Agreed. If you are sighting in for self-defense, you won't have much luck defending yourself in court shooting someone beyond 15 yards or so.

Robar

Post by Robar » 25 Apr 2011, 07:31

ShockedNKansas wrote:
Robar wrote:
Agreed. If you are sighting in for self-defense, you won't have much luck defending yourself in court shooting someone beyond 15 yards or so.
Well yes and no. Self defense is self defense it doesn't matter what the distance is. Most armed confrontations occur with in a much less distance than 15 yards. Somewhere closer to 8 to 12 feet.

2ND AMND

Post by 2ND AMND » 26 Apr 2011, 16:50

OK, I bought some targets to help me sight it in and some torso man targets to try at 100 yds. I can hit a squirrel at 120ft with my airgun pistol (IZH-46m and a cheap red dot sight) off hand, so this will be something new. This is all because I saw some guys shooting their AR's at a metal silo at 100 yds and one of them said I should be able to hit it with my FiveSeven.

Robar

Post by Robar » 26 Apr 2011, 16:55

2ND AMND wrote:OK, I bought some targets to help me sight it in and some torso man targets to try at 100 yds. I can hit a squirrel at 120ft with my airgun pistol (IZH-46m and a cheap red dot sight) off hand, so this will be something new. This is all because I saw some guys shooting their AR's at a metal silo at 100 yds and one of them said I should be able to hit it with my FiveSeven.
The FsN is very capable of hitting 100 yard targets. Two things to remember:
1. Aim big miss big, aim small miss small.
2. Study long study wrong.

If you have a table and bag use it to sight the pistol in. That helps remove the human factor some, but practice without the bag or rest after you have a good zero.

2ND AMND

Post by 2ND AMND » 26 Apr 2011, 18:34

Robar wrote:
2ND AMND wrote: Aim big miss big, aim small miss small.
isn't that from 'The Patriot'?

Robar

Post by Robar » 26 Apr 2011, 18:48

2ND AMND wrote:
Robar wrote:
Not sure of the origin, but it's true. I learned it at a sniper/counter sniper school.

2ND AMND

Post by 2ND AMND » 28 Apr 2011, 18:57

Robar wrote:
2ND AMND wrote:
Robar wrote:
Not sure of the origin, but it's true. I learned it at a sniper/counter sniper school.
Just kidding really. First time I heard it was Mel Gibson saying it in The Patriot, but my wife had heard it before.

I will do my best.

2ND AMND

Post by 2ND AMND » 29 Apr 2011, 20:21

well, the range with rests was busy, and a 300mm lens on a Canon 5D does not a spotting scope make, so I did a lot of walking and was shooting off-hand at about 200ft. I could hit the mansize (full size) target about 75% of the time with the 5.7, but no good groupings. With my S&W Model 41 with a 2x scope, on the other hand, 50 out of 50 hit and I was shooting quickly. I need some practice and I'm not sure its sighted-in as well as it should be, but with the click-stops on the factory adj sights it may be as close as Im going to get.

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 06 May 2011, 09:49

Hell, shooting a glock17 free hand at the indoor range at 25yds seems very challenging to me with iron sights. I can't imagine 100yds!! At 25yds the front sight covers the entire (blurred) target. At 100yds, your sight would be covering a huge area with an out of focus target nearly invisible. It's tough to "aim small" in that situation but then again.. I am a noob! :)

I managed to hit the bullseye at 25yds but it was just luck as I could never have actually "aimed" at it. A lot of shots fell in the rings with pts so I felt pretty good for my first time shooting at that distance.

VeTTeMaNC486

Post by VeTTeMaNC486 » 06 May 2011, 11:13

ShockedNKansas wrote:Hell, shooting a glock17 free hand at the indoor range at 25yds seems very challenging to me with iron sights. I can't imagine 100yds!! At 25yds the front sight covers the entire (blurred) target. At 100yds, your sight would be covering a huge area with an out of focus target nearly invisible. It's tough to "aim small" in that situation but then again.. I am a noob! :)

I managed to hit the bullseye at 25yds but it was just luck as I could never have actually "aimed" at it. A lot of shots fell in the rings with pts so I felt pretty good for my first time shooting at that distance.
I feel very similar about this. Reading about the distances people shoot with pistols make me feel like a terrible shot. I can hit a 100 yard target with a s&w 460xvr however, but that is not really compairable as it is basicaly a rifle with no stock :laugh:

I remember a couple years back seeing some dude shooting at a steel silhouette or something at like 120 yards or some random number with a fsn. It was pretty amazing to me at the time. boom.... ding boom... ding. Cannot seem to find that video any longer.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 06 May 2011, 11:27

Actually, it was more like 200 yards or beyond.
Shoot more, worry less.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 06 May 2011, 13:50

ShockedNKansas wrote:Hell, shooting a glock17 free hand at the indoor range at 25yds seems very challenging to me with iron sights. I can't imagine 100yds!! At 25yds the front sight covers the entire (blurred) target. At 100yds, your sight would be covering a huge area with an out of focus target nearly invisible. It's tough to "aim small" in that situation but then again.. I am a noob! :)

You need to use the old Elmer Kieth trick. Put the target on top of the front sight. Then draw imaginary lines across your front blade. Kieth actually went so fare at to cut lines in his front site with a file. Then drop your rear site down these lines. This way not only can you see the target you can see the hits and fir for affect.

One year at deer camp with new folk around a challenge was made and then a bet was made. A small paper plate was placed at 125 yards. Who ever could not hit it lost. This was their idea. I said it's stupid I wont bother with my rifle. I would use by box stock Colt 1991A1. This had old style super small Colt sights heck did not even have dots on them. They all laughed at the me, the flat lander and gave me no end of crap. So I made the bet rules, Who ever lost had to buy ALL the beer for all of deer camp. Non of them with their fancy rifles could hit the plate. Me with cheap SB 230gr FMJ emptied my entire 7 round gov mag into the plate.

Punks STFU fast and where even more pissed since I drink LOTS of expensive beer. They knew not to complain though.

It can be done. I may not be as fast at Blue anymore and my eyesight may not be the best any more but I doubt few if anyone can beat me on long range pistol shooting.

Vilaley and some other friends got a taste of this last summer when at 50 yards with plinker reload ammo I took my wife's Colt Agent (Alloy framed detective special) with a 2 inch barrel emptied at least three times into a shoot-N-see bulls eye replacement sticker. They are about 4 inches in diameter. Trigger and entire gun is stock except for hogue grip.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Mister Freeze

Post by Mister Freeze » 06 May 2011, 18:01

Good stuff. I have a bad habit of stirring folks to make outrageous claims and then stand toe-to-toe to see if they're full of it or not. I'm damned proud of my 100yd FsN target and wish I had more chances to improve upon it. I am sorry not to have seen more targets posted. Perhaps the stuff of another Postal Match?

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 06 May 2011, 18:10

You wont see my targets posted because my grouping sucks out at 20yd & beyond :wall: Out to 40yd (limit of indoor range here) Most are in the target torso area but I am still trying to get consistency down :facepalm:

I don't do a lot of practice beyond 20yd though. Usually its at 15yd
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 06 May 2011, 19:27

panzermk2 wrote:

You need to use the old Elmer Kieth trick. Put the target on top of the front sight. Then draw imaginary lines across your front blade. Kieth actually went so fare at to cut lines in his front site with a file. Then drop your rear site down these lines. This way not only can you see the target you can see the hits and fir for affect.

One year at deer camp with new folk around a challenge was made and then a bet was made. A small paper plate was placed at 125 yards. Who ever could not hit it lost. This was their idea. I said it's stupid I wont bother with my rifle. I would use by box stock Colt 1991A1. This had old style super small Colt sights heck did not even have dots on them. They all laughed at the me, the flat lander and gave me no end of crap. So I made the bet rules, Who ever lost had to buy ALL the beer for all of deer camp. Non of them with their fancy rifles could hit the plate. Me with cheap SB 230gr FMJ emptied my entire 7 round gov mag into the plate.

Punks STFU fast and where even more pissed since I drink LOTS of expensive beer. They knew not to complain though.

It can be done. I may not be as fast at Blue anymore and my eyesight may not be the best any more but I doubt few if anyone can beat me on long range pistol shooting.

Vilaley and some other friends got a taste of this last summer when at 50 yards with plinker reload ammo I took my wife's Colt Agent (Alloy framed detective special) with a 2 inch barrel emptied at least three times into a shoot-N-see bulls eye replacement sticker. They are about 4 inches in diameter. Trigger and entire gun is stock except for hogue grip.
Panzer, two-thumbs up to you.

I hope you enjoyed the lager and ale on their expense. People talk big until they have to back it up, and that you did. LEGIT.
Shoot more, worry less.

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 07 May 2011, 13:58

panzermk2 wrote:

Thanks for the tips and congratulations on shutting up some punks. It's fairly common that those with the biggest mouths are oftentimes AWOL when challenged.. :)

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 07 May 2011, 14:55

I'm pretty good at shutting punks up.

Panzer, my method is to take a card and tape it perpendicular to the target, then splitting it in half with my round.
Shoot more, worry less.

SoCal Gunner
custom title: WTF

Post by SoCal Gunner » 15 May 2011, 06:28

I don't know what it is, but I can't shoot my 5.7 for shit compared to you guys as far groups and consistency. I've PM'd with Blue, watched the vids, and see you guys post your targets and think to myself - WTF?

While I'm no competition shooter, I can take my 1911 and shoot the "circles" out of the number "8" at 12yrds. Break out the 5.7 and I'm lucky to get half my rounds inside the no. 8 RING. Flyers seem to be a consistent problem.

Now I know my 5.7 had the worst trigger I've ever pulled on a firearm, but I thought I could adapt to it. I finally had enough and sent it in to EA for a trigger job. Dry firing it blew me away; I can't wait to get out to the range now.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 15 May 2011, 12:40

SoCal Gunner wrote:I don't know what it is, but I can't shoot my 5.7 for shit compared to you guys as far groups and consistency. I've PM'd with Blue, watched the vids, and see you guys post your targets and think to myself - WTF?

While I'm no competition shooter, I can take my 1911 and shoot the "circles" out of the number "8" at 12yrds. Break out the 5.7 and I'm lucky to get half my rounds inside the no. 8 RING. Flyers seem to be a consistent problem.

Now I know my 5.7 had the worst trigger I've ever pulled on a firearm, but I thought I could adapt to it. I finally had enough and sent it in to EA for a trigger job. Dry firing it blew me away; I can't wait to get out to the range now.
A good trigger only works correctly for the already-trained. Sounds like you got your training down. Remember to stack pressure and twerk that trigger like you can on the 1911 :)

Give us a report and pictures on how you do. :thumb:
Shoot more, worry less.

iFire
custom title: FsN | PS90

Post by iFire » 03 Jun 2011, 15:30

Here's my first attempt at a 100 yard target - used my pistol case as a rest :laugh:

Managed to hit the paper 7 out of 10 times...

Next time I'm going to use sandbags and try and really punch some good holes :D

FsN - Leupold Delta Point Triangle

Mister Freeze

Post by Mister Freeze » 04 Jun 2011, 03:48

What was your zero and POA? Ammo?

iFire

Post by iFire » 04 Jun 2011, 04:58

Mister Freeze wrote:What was your zero and POA? Ammo?
I am currently sighted in around 2" high at 50 yards using the tip of the triangle...

POA - Tip of the triangle Right on the bullseye!

Ammo - Custom Handloads / 5.8 grs of TB with a 40 vmax at ~1800 fps / SD usually runs around 10-12 fps

-------

I might get a chance to get out again today... If I do, I want to set up a good rest and try a few different types of handloads...

This is just the tip of the iceburg - It was a windy day and I was shooting quickly not really taking my time...

If I take my time and get a better rest I have a feeling the FsN has some truly great potential!

fatherfoof

Post by fatherfoof » 04 Jun 2011, 06:24

In the state police, there were three handguns we used over the years. Every trooper had to qua;ify out to 50 yards, although the vast majority was in close. The course for personal off duty weapons was the same, but half the rounds fired. Everyone also had to do the shotgun and rifle course, the rifle back then being a 700 30-06.
Please PM Me for LE/Military Access

iFire

Post by iFire » 04 Jun 2011, 17:00

Second time shooting at 100 yards

FsN w/ Delta Point Triangle
Custom Handloads
Prone using the pistol case as a rest ( I forgot sandbags, again! )

8/10 Shots INSIDE the 8" circle - And I dont even think I did that good of a job... I think the FsN has a TON of potential if I can get myself together!

Heres the FsN with the Delta Point attached that I used...
Last edited by iFire on 04 Jun 2011, 18:21, edited 1 time in total.

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member
custom title: FNP-45 Cylon

Post by jgreenberg01 » 04 Jun 2011, 17:40

That's pretty darn impressive. I feel inspired!
0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

Gramaton Cleric
Gold Member
custom title: Gun Kata

Post by Gramaton Cleric » 04 Jun 2011, 17:57

Thats awesome!! I went to the range today and all mine where all far left and at 10 o clock at 25 yards! LOL I spose more practice is needed! Also I noticed the faster I fire the tighter my groups are?! At any rate awesome shooting! Blue I'll give you a buzz next time to see what my deal is.
Aim small,Miss Small!
NRA LIFE Member
Prior Planning Prevents **** Poor Performance.

Mister Freeze

Post by Mister Freeze » 04 Jun 2011, 18:02

I'd like to see that Delta Point Triangle.
I think using a bipod is a winning idea. Perhaps a sandbag under the mag too would be the ticket.
Posted before, but seems relevant...

iFire

Post by iFire » 04 Jun 2011, 18:24

Mister Freeze wrote:I'd like to see that Delta Point Triangle.
I posted a pic of my FsN with the Delta Point, but I'm pretty sure you meant see it in person... :D
Mister Freeze wrote:I think using a bipod is a winning idea. Perhaps a sandbag under the mag too would be the ticket.
I agree. Thats next... And hopefully 10/10 in the 8" circle...

dragon281tx

Post by dragon281tx » 06 Jun 2011, 22:33

Saw this thread so I figured I'd share my experience. Like some have stated above, 100yds aint a joke. You have to have superb trigger control, especially shooting while standing. But it's definitely do-able. I can consistently hit a 100yd gong w/ my Glock 19. So I can only imagine that a Five-seveN has the potential to be a tackdriver @ 100yds in the right hands. Here's some videos of me shooting various pistols @ 100yds:

Glock 19 9mm

Ruger LCP .380

Desert Eagle 50AE

FNForever

Post by FNForever » 27 Sep 2011, 09:18

I agree with the 50yd sight in. The raise or drop in inches between 15yds and 100yds would be minimal so if you aim center mass you should hit either target. That is if you are using a man sized target. Now if you are trying to hit a 6" gong @ 100yds then luck be on your side. The range I shoot at in neighboring Alabama has a huge dirt mound @ 100yds. Its interesting seeing the differences between guns at that range. So far though my Glock 20(10mm) owns everything else in POA=POI in that regard. I belive this FiveSeven is going to give it one hell of a run for its money though.

Post by 71214 » 29 Sep 2011, 17:34

Read Ed Mcgivern's book. In the 30's, if I remember correctly, they were shooting a .357 at man size targets, at 600 yds and hitting over 50% of the time. He was also a speed shooter. Could shoot six shots from a .38 double action in less than .5 seconds into a hand size target. I think he was in his 60's at the time. Don't **** with the old, fat guy...