Finally shot my S5's

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

burdy

Finally shot my S5's

Post by burdy » 06 Jul 2010, 17:01

Well, Ive had my S5's for close to a month now and despite being able to walk out into my backyard and just start shooting, I just now got around to going thru a few rounds this saturday. I sighted it in which took 3 shots. I then ran a gaunlet of about 35 rounds as fast, crazy, limpwristed and foul formed as possible to check cycling. No problems. I then aimed at a hanging 8"x8" steel plate someone made for me set at exactly 65 yards, off hand. 1st squeeze..."Plink!". I moved it back to 90 yards and rested the pistol in a sandbag, 1st squeeze "Plink!". I shot a cinder block once (went thru 1 side) and a phone book (broke into 2 parts). After running thru 40 rds I loaded the pistol back up with S5's and set it in the nightstand. I know its not even close to a true longevity, accuracy test trial, but it will do until I get some more time. At least I feel like I can carry them at this point without worrying about them being "untested". I will be making another order very soon.

*FWIW, my Five Seven has been 100% reliable.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Re: Finally shot my S5's

Post by blueorison » 06 Jul 2010, 18:33

:thumb: Great report on reliability, Burdy, looking forward to your next report.

If you're hitting an 8x8" at 90 yds, that's quite a shot, and I think that's a first step towards testing for accuracy.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

Mister Freeze
custom title: 159.6

Post by Mister Freeze » 06 Jul 2010, 19:56

1/2 my S5's are on my way to blue. I've only shot a few to see POI vs POA. No failures. My FsN has also shot EVERYTHING I've fed it.

Not sure I want to use them for SD. Sounds like a good candidate for my next 100yd shoot.

EA: are the primers LF on the S5's?

murphies_finest
custom title: King Thread Killer.

Post by murphies_finest » 06 Jul 2010, 20:00

burdy wrote:Well, Ive had my S5's for close to a month now and despite being able to walk out into my backyard and just start shooting, I just now got around to going thru a few rounds this saturday. I sighted it in which took 3 shots. I then ran a gaunlet of about 35 rounds as fast, crazy, limpwristed and foul formed as possible to check cycling. No problems. I then aimed at a hanging 8"x8" steel plate someone made for me set at exactly 65 yards, off hand. 1st squeeze..."Plink!". I moved it back to 90 yards and rested the pistol in a sandbag, 1st squeeze "Plink!". I shot a cinder block once (went thru 1 side) and a phone book (broke into 2 parts). After running thru 40 rds I loaded the pistol back up with S5's and set it in the nightstand. I know its not even close to a true longevity, accuracy test trial, but it will do until I get some more time. At least I feel like I can carry them at this point without worrying about them being "untested". I will be making another order very soon.

*FWIW, my Five Seven has been 100% reliable.
man what a gyp 195's that is I shot at a cinder block yesterday and the bullets went in but did not break through the cell.
Keep Working Millions on Welfare Depend on YOU.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 06 Jul 2010, 20:44

Mister Freeze wrote:1/2 my S5's are on my way to blue. I've only shot a few to see POI vs POA. No failures. My FsN has also shot EVERYTHING I've fed it.

Not sure I want to use them for SD. Sounds like a good candidate for my next 100yd shoot.

Yeap, Freeze has donated kindly 15 rounds for me to T&E, as my ammunition has not arrived yet.

I will be testing these for accuracy; basically repeating Freeze's accuracy test at 25 yds. 25-50 yds is, in my humble opinion, the extended killzone of the FsN versus the normal 50-30 feet and under SD situation. The extended killzone would apply more towards hunting instead of SD scenarios. The reason for the 25 yd test is due the fact that Freeze and I came to the conclusion that 30-50 feet would not be as effective for accuracy testing as 25 yds would be.

Of course, the cartridge can be effective to 200+ yards. It is interesting to note that so can .45 caliber rounds (although I'm not sure how much .45 would penetrate at this distance, it does still do good damage.)

Hence, the 25 yd accuracy test would be a good test of an "in-between" SD/Offensive range. I welcome all those who have the S5 on hand to do a 25 yd test, also, and to submit the groupings. Burdy definitely did a great job at longer yardage.

Cheers.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 06 Jul 2010, 21:22

Mister Freeze wrote:1/2 my S5's are on my way to blue. I've only shot a few to see POI vs POA. No failures. My FsN has also shot EVERYTHING I've fed it.

No they are not LF primers.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz