Reloading info for the 5.7x28mm

Moderator: Grantness

Esteves
Wiki Moderator
custom title: Shhh!

Shooting pellets

Post by Esteves » 19 Jan 2009, 13:20

Topic resurrection.

http://www.convert-a-pell.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; advertises their product as:
Just insert, load and fire!
Convert your favorite handgun to shoot inexpensive pellet ammunition! No special tools, no disassembly, no reloading expertise required. Will not harm bore, action, or component parts of any handgun.
I think the .22 Centerfire approach ( http://www.convert-a-pell.com/prod03.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) looks promising.
The Convert-a-Pell .22 Centerfire kit enables you to shoot .22 caliber pellets through your .22 Centerfire rifle or pistol, utilizing a patented “O”-ringed primer pocket that assures easy primer insertion and ejection. Calibers available include .221 Fireball, .222, .223, .225 WIN, .22-250, and .220 Swift, all machined to accept a .209 shotshell primer, and .22 Hornet, machined to accept a standard large rifle primer. Each Convert-a-Pell .22 Centerfire kit contains four cartridges. Trajectory of the Convert-a-Pell .22 Centerfire kit will average 2" low with exceptional groups at 20-60 feet and beyond.
Another variation on the same theme is the Hammond Game Getter ( http://www3.telus.net/gamegetter/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) although I don't think the dimensions of the 5.7x28 will allow for an offset rimfire blank.

One of the issues with standard pellets is that a 22 caliber airgun barrel is 0.218" groove diameter and 0.216" - 0.2165" bore diameter, so standard pellets are "a bit loose."

Another issue is the shape of most pellets. Even if the brass is neck-sized appropriately, the "classic" pellet shape doesn't provide for very stable seating. The Skenko ( http://www.skenco.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) lead-free pellets (and others of similar design) look like they'd work better.

Random ramblings...
--
S
© 2004-2019 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

stg2ahn

Re: Shooting pellets

Post by stg2ahn » 19 Jan 2009, 14:46

Because of the liability of using a real gun to "discharge" a pellet, I would rather buy a pellet gun.

that website is kinda ghetto, I wouldn't trust them. Also there is a lack of pictures as well, not enough to convince me to get one.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 19 Jan 2009, 15:15

Some of those pellet guns I've seen cost as much as a real gun. Doesn't make sense to me. Neither does the price of a taser for that matter...
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

Esteves
Wiki Moderator

Post by Esteves » 19 Jan 2009, 15:52

I have (and shoot) lots of pellet guns. The cheap ones aren't all that good and the good ones aren't all that cheap.

One way to think of it is "cheap backyard plinking (not suitable for all areas.)"
$0.07 each for pellets.
$0.04 each for primers.
-----
$0.11 per shot (in small quantities.)

Not just trigger time, but trigger time with your gun. Not an Airsoft, your gun. Not "something close", your gun.

"Reloading" should be quick and easy. No resizing. No powder measurement.
--
S
© 2004-2019 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want

Esteves
Wiki Moderator

Post by Esteves » 19 Jan 2009, 18:23

Those look great. :D
--
S
© 2004-2019 Esteves

stg2ahn

Post by stg2ahn » 19 Jan 2009, 20:58

I was looking at those Gamo whispers.
They have a suppressor on them, making it quietor....

VITALIY

Post by VITALIY » 20 Jan 2009, 14:15

stg2ahn wrote:I was looking at those Gamo whispers.
They have a suppressor on them, making it quietor....
They do look good, but any air gun with velocity over 700fts is a "fire arm" in illinois, and suppressor would make it a class III weapon :lmao:

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 20 Jan 2009, 17:21

I dont think you need the stamp to own the whisper. The "supressor" or whatever it is is integral and somehow skirts the laws. Yes, I believe it (.177 version) will shoot 1200fps with the right pellets (usually very inaccurate). The .22 shoots ~1000fps I believe.

Wollychop

Post by Wollychop » 20 Jan 2009, 18:54

Because the "suppressor" is for an airgun and cannot be removed or used in a firearm it does not fall under NFA regulation.

I like it but I've read a couple reviews that say it's really not "30%" less noisey than any other airgun. I'd like to shoot one.

Heck, nothing wrong with having a nice airgun for varmint / neighbor children control.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 20 Jan 2009, 19:29

Medula Oblongata wrote:Louis and Clarke had an airgun that they used to get most of their food...
:huh:
Blow darts?
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 20 Jan 2009, 21:03

Yep parlor guns!
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

stg2ahn

Post by stg2ahn » 20 Jan 2009, 21:27

Wollychop wrote:Because the "suppressor" is for an airgun and cannot be removed or used in a firearm it does not fall under NFA regulation.

I like it but I've read a couple reviews that say it's really not "30%" less noisey than any other airgun. I'd like to shoot one.

Heck, nothing wrong with having a nice airgun for varmint / neighbor children control.
Was that for the 1200fps .177 caliber or the 1000fps .22 caliber?
Think that would make a big difference in effectiveness because of the sonic crack.

Esteves
Wiki Moderator

Post by Esteves » 30 Jan 2010, 21:14

Topic resurrection.

--
S
© 2004-2019 Esteves

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 30 Jan 2010, 21:42

And now, everyone go shoot the Izzy 46. My favourite air pistol... I shoot it at quarters at 50 feet, it's so accurate...too bad it belongs to the club :(
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

sharky47

Post by sharky47 » 30 Jan 2010, 21:47

I turned some .308 bullets out of Delrin on the CNC lathe, loaded them up with 3 grains of Bullseye, and shot them out of my Ishapore "jungle carbine" Enfield copy. They didn't stabilize past 10 feet, but they were quiet and could be stopped by a VERY minimal backstop, I.E. they would work as a "basement" gun.

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 30 Jan 2010, 22:20

Great videos and ideas for alternative loads! I think I'll have to try that out for my .223!

ynoty3k
custom title: Hoplophile

Post by ynoty3k » 30 Jan 2010, 22:49

Grantness wrote:I dont think you need the stamp to own the whisper. The "supressor" or whatever it is is integral and somehow skirts the laws. Yes, I believe it (.177 version) will shoot 1200fps with the right pellets (usually very inaccurate). The .22 shoots ~1000fps I believe.
I believe its the GCA that states anything below 22 is not a firearm.

VITALIY

Post by VITALIY » 30 Jan 2010, 23:57

I wos going to bed , but now i'll be drilling till 4am....... primer pokets that is :)

Esteves
Wiki Moderator

Post by Esteves » 31 Jan 2010, 07:14

VITALIY wrote:I wos going to bed , but now i'll be drilling till 4am....... primer pokets that is :)
Results?
ynoty3k wrote:
Grantness wrote:I dont think you need the stamp to own the whisper.
I believe its the GCA that states anything below 22 is not a firearm.
Almost right. Except for the parts that are wrong, which leaves "I believe it is not a firearm", which is fine. :D
--
S
© 2004-2019 Esteves

VITALIY

Post by VITALIY » 31 Jan 2010, 11:57

Esteves wrote:
VITALIY wrote:I wos going to bed , but now i'll be drilling till 4am....... primer pokets that is :)
Results?
So far a big blister on my left tumb :laugh: will try to shoot some later in my basement, when kid,s will be at awanna.

VITALIY

Post by VITALIY » 31 Jan 2010, 13:30

I've just shot a cople dozen rounds loaded with .22 pellet/1gr of RS enforcer/wolf SRmag primer. I'm surprized how acurete and quiet it wos, with little Kentuky windage. I have big bacement, about 20yards wall to wall, so ive set up a bullit trap made out of huge cardboard box full of old magasines, it works just perfect to prevent recochet.
Going down to try some more, it's adictive at the list :D

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 31 Jan 2010, 20:58

I was shooting airsoft pellets around the shop using just a primer. Work damn good.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

VITALIY

Post by VITALIY » 25 Mar 2010, 16:47

I'll go ahead and let you guys in on a little big secret project we have going in EA :cool:
For lust 2 mo. Jay and i have being working on a conversion for a FSN and PS90, that will allow to shoot a .22 cal pellets, BB's, darts, or sabots, in your bacement or back yard, without desterbing your neighbors.
Well, we've got it :guns: We'll be picking up prototypes tomorrow, so we could put them through the test on sunday.
That is all, at this time, sorry no picktures yet, but we'll have them made wile testing, along with video and chrono results.

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 25 Mar 2010, 17:14

If you ever need a tester... :cya: :drool: :laugh:

user426

Post by user426 » 25 Mar 2010, 17:44

I'm in for that.........................

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 25 Mar 2010, 19:29

VITALIY wrote:I'll go ahead and let you guys in on a little big secret project we have going in EA :cool:
For lust 2 mo. Jay and i have being working on a conversion for a FSN and PS90, that will allow to shoot a .22 cal pellets, BB's, darts, or sabots, in your bacement or back yard, without desterbing your neighbors.
Well, we've got it :guns: We'll be picking up prototypes tomorrow, so we could put them through the test on sunday.
That is all, at this time, sorry no picktures yet, but we'll have them made wile testing, along with video and chrono results.
Wiat, WHAT?!

So instead of the airsofters trying to be like us, we're trying to be like them?! :lmao:

I'm just kidding. Uh, please count me in if you need a tester :drool: . I go to the range just about every weekend to practice various things; I'll sweat out whatever workout you want me to test for you. I'll even shoot from in between my legs upside down. Honestly.
Shoot more, worry less.

Esteves
Wiki Moderator

Post by Esteves » 25 Mar 2010, 20:18

Yay! Another one of Steve's whacky ideas (TM) turning into cool product after the really smart ones put some real thought into it. :D
--
S
© 2004-2019 Esteves

VITALIY

Post by VITALIY » 25 Mar 2010, 20:36

Steve, you are right :thumb: that's exactly were we've got the inspiration :D
And that is why you'll get your set of conversions for free :D
No kidding

Esteves
Wiki Moderator

Post by Esteves » 25 Mar 2010, 20:43

! :monkey: !
Wabbits bewawe...
--
S
© 2004-2019 Esteves

VITALIY

Post by VITALIY » 25 Mar 2010, 20:58

Uh, please count me in if you need a tester :drool: . I go to the range just about every weekend to practice various things; I'll sweat out whatever workout you want me to test for you. I'll even shoot from in between my legs upside down. Honestly
Blue, we'd pay you to do that, if you were a hot stripper :laugh: but sense you're not :ponder: we'll trade some to you for a full report.

Hobknob
Gold Member

Post by Hobknob » 25 Mar 2010, 21:10

Sweet, so the conversion will allow the firearm to cycle reliably with super light projectiles!? That would be fantastic!

Ever since I started reloading I've had a set of bullet casts for each caliber I shoot and I make up a bunch of hot-glue bullets and then coat them with liquid Allox and let them dry for a while before loading them up with just a primer. They work fantastic for garage practice and will penetrate 3-5 layers of cardboard depending on how thick it is so I typically just put a bunch of boxes inside eachother to capture the projectiles which can be reloaded several times before needing to be tossed.
My glue bullets weigh in at around 7gr and just the primer kicks them out at 600fps or so. It's more than enough to kill a mouse :) but if you miss you'd better watch out cause if they hit a hard surface they will bounce back and sting like a mother....or so I hear.
-- Thank you for calling 911 emergency services, please hold --
~~ \|/ ~~

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 25 Mar 2010, 23:03

VITALIY wrote:
Uh, please count me in if you need a tester :drool: . I go to the range just about every weekend to practice various things; I'll sweat out whatever workout you want me to test for you. I'll even shoot from in between my legs upside down. Honestly
Blue, we'd pay you to do that, if you were a hot stripper :laugh: but sense you're not :ponder: we'll trade some to you for a full report.
You don't know how happy I am right now. I feel as if all the head pains from school has just gone down. I'll try to keep my clothes on :D Tomorrow is range day, let's hope the wind doesn't interfere with certain testings :)
Shoot more, worry less.

nvreloader

Post by nvreloader » 25 Mar 2010, 23:18

Guys
You can also use a 210 sized shotgun primer, I stick a smooth nail or similar round rod into a drilled out primer pocket and then fill the case with hot lead, let cool, then pull out the nail/rod, (this case length hole directs all the primer force into the base/skirt of the pellet) then recess the case neck just enough to take a sized pellet to fit the bore, the primer pocket is then drilled/reamer to take a 210 shotgun primer. I then make a punch to reach the length of the case to punch out the old primer, insert a pellet and new primer.

I make these cases for every centerfire rifle and TC pistols in the 17, 22 and 25 calibers, at 25 yds the 22 pellet will break both shoulder blades of a sage bunny, I use mine for taking cottontail rabbits when I am sneaking into the calling areas, very quite and does a great job on the CT rabbits with head shots, you have to remember where these loads shoot compared the the regular rifle loads. I taught both of my kids to shoot (Hunter safety) using this method/shells before graduating to the rimfires and up.
Don
" Any person that fears me owning a weapon, then I fear that person"

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going, Only the weak Bitch, Gripe and Die"
173rd ABN 2/503 "Recon" VN 67-68

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 27 Mar 2010, 17:41

That looks like a neat idea. I might make one if I get home early enough tomorrow, instead of the hot lead, I am going to try epoxy.
كاف

user426

Post by user426 » 31 Mar 2010, 02:45

VITALIY wrote:I'll go ahead and let you guys in on a little big secret project we have going in EA :cool:
Is this a reality.....I'd like to start shooting pellets.....and no offence....how about using spellcheck..... :D

Llagoud
custom title: A is A

Post by Llagoud » 31 Mar 2010, 04:56

how about using spellcheck

NOOOOOO!

VITALIY speaks with a glorious accent and writes with the same tone.....If anything changed it would ruin the experience. :laugh:

VITALIY

Post by VITALIY » 31 Mar 2010, 09:09

[quote="user426] Is this a reality.....I'd like to start shooting pellets.....and no offence....how about using spellcheck..... :D[/quote]
Paff, paff, exhale,coff, coff ..... Dude, that's how it comes out after i use the spell check :lmao:

user426

Post by user426 » 31 Mar 2010, 12:02

VITALIY wrote:[quote="user426] Is this a reality.....I'd like to start shooting pellets.....and no offence....how about using spellcheck..... :D
Paff, paff, exhale,coff, coff ..... Dude, that's how it comes out after i use the spell check :lmao:[/quote][/quote]

I guess....not the English version.....LOL

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator
custom title: Sweeper

Post by MrSlippyFist » 31 Mar 2010, 12:06

Llagoud wrote:NOOOOOO!

VITALIY speaks with a glorious accent and writes with the same tone.....If anything changed it would ruin the experience. :laugh:
Exactly!
Embrace the Suck

VITALIY

Post by VITALIY » 31 Mar 2010, 14:10

user426 wrote:
VITALIY wrote:[quote="user426] Is this a reality.....I'd like to start shooting pellets.....and no offence....how about using spellcheck..... :D
Paff, paff, exhale,coff, coff ..... Dude, that's how it comes out after i use the spell check :lmao:
[/quote]

I guess....not the English version.....LOL[/quote][/quote][/quote]
To user426 only:
Is there something offencive or extreamly hard to understand in my posting? I speek inglish very well, tho i have some glitches to work on in my spelling, i do admit it. I could take a joke, and respond to with a joke, as it wos the case in first comment, but second comment, i certanly do not apriciate.

user426

Post by user426 » 31 Mar 2010, 14:35

VITALIY wrote:
user426 wrote:
I guess....not the English version.....LOL[/quote][/quote][/quote]
To user426 only:
Is there something offencive or extreamly hard to understand in my posting? I speek inglish very well, tho i have some glitches to work on in my spelling, i do admit it. I could take a joke, and respond to with a joke, as it wos the case in first comment, but second comment, i certanly do not apriciate.[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

Don't get bent out of shape.....it was all a joke.....

ynoty3k
custom title: Hoplophile

Post by ynoty3k » 31 Mar 2010, 14:52

user426 wrote:
Is this a reality.....I'd like to start shooting pellets.....and no offence....how about using spellcheck..... :D
How about using some spell check your self User426, and offence is breaking the law, and primarily only used in British English. Saying to some one no offense is spelled with an S.

Vitality, Don't let a pot call the kettle black....

:facepalm:

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 31 Mar 2010, 15:34

VITALIY, it's all good. It's part of the mojo. Besides, it's best not to bite the hand that helps with S5's...

VITALIY

Post by VITALIY » 31 Mar 2010, 16:26

It's ok, i'm over it. I'm to lazy to hold the gradge that long :D