Reloading equipment for 5.7x28mm

Reloading info for the 5.7x28mm

Moderator: Grantness

DeepSeaPete

Re: Reloading equipment for 5.7x28mm

Post by DeepSeaPete » 05 Feb 2010, 13:19

I see no reason the Forster Co-Ax wouldn't work. It uses the same standard threads for accepting reloading dies. You may have problems with the shellholder jaws, but I've heard of a shellholder adapter plate that allows the use of a typical shellholder.

carsfor

Post by carsfor » 06 Feb 2010, 05:49

Thanks deep sea pete I am the person who posted that question about the forster co-ax press, you mentioned a shell holder plate for the 5.7x28 (adapter) : for the forster as well if you or any one knows of/or can steer me to it I would greatly appreciate that as well, Again Thank you very much. Carsfor :)

DeepSeaPete

Post by DeepSeaPete » 06 Feb 2010, 07:02

The shellholder adapter plate is for use with typical shellholders from Lee, RCBS, or Hornady, and is made by Forster. I found it in the Accessories section of their website for $19.60. It's item AP1000.

Here's a link to it:
http://www.forsterproducts.com/catalog. ... did=627373" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

carsfor

Post by carsfor » 06 Feb 2010, 08:24

Thanks again to you (deep sea pete)!!I just purchased them from forster products because my plan is to purchase a forster co-ax very soon, because what I have read about it, is( very positive ),as far as a good reloader, and I can get the press at a fairly reasonable price. Carsfor :)

Lekim

Post by Lekim » 06 Feb 2010, 14:25

hey all,

another newb here...am new to reloading for the 57 but have been reloading for pistol and a coupla of rifle calibers for a while.

been reading wiki, the various posts n stuff to get a leg up. i was intrigued by the use of ultrasonic cleaners so i researched and found that harbor freight has their 2 1/2 qt heated US cleaner for $59.99. if you print the internet ad and bring it to your local storefront, they should honor the online price.

have been testing it out on some very dirty 45acp and it does a fairly decent job with a bit of dish soap and cream of tartar.

glad to be part of the group, am look forward to learning/sharing tips...

lekim :cya:

Toynut

Post by Toynut » 06 Feb 2010, 20:50

What does the cream of tartar do to the cleaning solution? Thicken it? :ponder:

Lekim

Post by Lekim » 07 Feb 2010, 07:31

Toynut wrote:What does the cream of tartar do to the cleaning solution? Thicken it? :ponder:
a legitimate question...i think? :ponder: that is unless you're messin with me in which case :lmao:

cream of tartar or better known as potassium hydrogen tartrate, an acid salt that has a number of uses including being used to clean brass.

cream of tartar is obtained when tartaric acid is half neutralized with potassium hydroxide, transforming it into a salt. adding some to your cleaning solution forms a very mild acid which really helps brighten up the brass, cutting thru that sooty build-up inside and out of the case.

I haven't tried it on the FN lacquer as yet, not having a UV lite for pre/post inspection but when i do, i'll let ya know how the meringue turns out. :drool:

carsfor

Post by carsfor » 07 Feb 2010, 08:27

Hi lekim, I was just wondering are you into chemistry/chemist, and if so why is it #1 called cream of tartar and,#2 if it does have an effect on the FN laquer would that be very advisable to do. Carfors :ponder:

Lekim

Post by Lekim » 07 Feb 2010, 11:42

Hey carsfor,

Nope, I'm not a chemist but chemistry was probably some of the most fun and interesting classes I had in college. I did seriously think about it as a career many years ago.

So, I can't explain why they call it cream of tartar...it's a deactivated form of tartaric acid. After tartaric acid forms, it is mixed with potassium hydroxide to neutralize the acid. This mixture results in cream of tartar, which is not actually a cream, but a crystalline powder. The addition of water to cream of tartar displaces some of the KOH (potassium hydroxide), resulting in a weak organic acid...not overly agressive.

Cream of tartar is an excellent cleaning agent. Mixing cream of tartar and lemon juice results in a great copper cleaner. Hot water or hydrogen peroxide mixed with cream of tartar can help remove stains from aluminum pans. It's a natural compound found in many fruits and the main acid in wine (I didn't know that...I always thought it was tannic acid in wine, you know they always talk about the tannins...). The nice thing about it is that when you're done with it, you pour it down the drain and not have to worry about it causing a toxic nightmare or killing fish or any of that hazwaste stuff.....

Read more: Tartaric Acid - The Chemistry Of Tartaric Acid, Uses Of Tartaric Acid http://science.jrank.org/pages/6698/Tar ... z0esddhx5Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had some very dirty, tarnished brass and decided to try the cream of tartar versus hours and hours and hours of tumbling which wasn't removing the carbon. My results have yielded quicker cleaning, the US cleaner cleans the soot (I find that letting the brass soak in hot water first before cleaning helps loosen up the carbon deposits), the cream of tartar shines the brass (removes oxidation) and a quick tumble in corncob makes it look practically factory new. It sure helps with sorting and inspecting...

As I mentioned in my previous post, I haven't tried this yet with the lacquered FN brass until I get a UV light and test it out. When I do, I'll post my results.

Lekim

rickys2

Post by rickys2 » 07 Feb 2010, 12:19

WOW thats something new..... I use simple green and vinegar in my mix

carsfor

Post by carsfor » 07 Feb 2010, 13:00

Thanks again; that explanation certainly cleared up a muddy situation. :D Sincerely,Carsfor

cvande
Silver Member

Post by cvande » 07 Feb 2010, 13:05

Lekim,

That is probably one of the coolest tips yet. I'll have to try that out vs my current method.
Change is inevitable; progress is optional.

Lekim

Post by Lekim » 07 Feb 2010, 13:16

rickys2 wrote:WOW thats something new..... I use simple green and vinegar in my mix
:huh: WOW...vinegar really? Did you ever do that experiment in school as a kid where you stuck a penny in a container of Coca-cola?...and it dissolved it?

I'm sure you know that brass is basically an alloy of copper and zinc...yes, there are different formulations but all brass has copper as a big part of it's overall composition.

Vinegar's primary component is acetic acid (ph~2.4). Lemon juice (citric acid) is even more acidic with a ph less than 2...so I would think that acetic acid could be overly agressive depending on how much you dilute it. I thought I had read somewhere in this forum that if one left their brass in the cleaning solution for too long (simple green/vinegar?), it turned black. So why does the brass turn black? Is it something in the simple green or is the vinegar attacking the copper or is the zinc that's on the losing end? Does simple green/water alone have the same issue with discoloring the brass ? :ponder:

Again, I'm not a chemist...but I live with one, well sorta...she's a pharm grad student so I bounce my ideas offa her. So far, the cream of tartar is working well. Of course, being an engineer, the axiom goes something like;
if it ain't broken...can you improve it? :thumb:

carsfor

Post by carsfor » 07 Feb 2010, 14:20

Sorry lekim, I went to Catholic school and in high school I was academic had very little use for the simple things in life like basic chemistry I had to concentrate mostly on the complex problems to get my scholarships I even failed biology so I ended up in the army where the only chemistry I used was to get along with my sergeant after that a family and then finally a divorce and so on, and so forth, I have said all this just to say I was an average guy, who is now happy to be finally able to do what I want to! and now I rely on people like you to show me the way, hopefully, I can grasp all this so I can do a better job at trying to reload a few different types of cartridges. all in all I am very greatful to have found this site it has already given me a great deal of information and thank you again,Carfor signing off for now. 10-4 good buddy :thumb:

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 07 Feb 2010, 15:51

Lekim wrote:
rickys2 wrote:Of course, being an engineer, the axiom goes something like; if it ain't broken...can you improve it? :thumb:
I thought the axiom went "if it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is." :laugh:
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

Toynut

Post by Toynut » 09 Feb 2010, 10:08

Thanks for the tip and info
on the cream of tartar. I always Thought it was a starch ofsome kind and have some in the kitchen cabinet for cooking purposes and making whipped cream and such :ponder:
BTW,
How much of it do you put in the solution per quart?

Lekim

Post by Lekim » 09 Feb 2010, 17:11

i still haven't perfected the mixture yet (i have once fired 57 brass in transit...then i can dial the proportions in). rite now, i've been using 1/2 tsp/4 cups of hot water plus some dawn dish soap (a few drops). i have noticed that after running 1 load of brass thru the US cleaner, you really need to start another fresh batch of solution if cleaning additional cases...and it really doesn't do that good of a job cleaning the primer pockets out. when i get some pics taken, i'll post showing some .223 i cleaned up last weekend. you can see a difference with the naked eye, not sure how that'll translate to the camera tho'. :ponder: i've got some other uncoated brass that i can play with to try and get the amount of cream of tartar optimized (for uncoated cases).

i still need to get a black lite to make sure this concoction won't harm the lacquer coating on the 57 brass....hopefully in the next couple of weeks. :?:

thanks for asking :cya:

lekim

carsfor

Post by carsfor » 15 Feb 2010, 12:21

Hi wollychop, I have a question? When reloading the 5.7x28, the reloading specs, do you have a suggestion for the case length, and or the powder grain amounts, or do you know of a manual that has all this info. thanks in advance, Carsfor :huh:

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 15 Feb 2010, 15:06

carsfor, have you checked out Forum wiki at the top of the page? There is a reloading section with all the specs. Also there are plenty of reloading threads with the info, just use the search function
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

carsfor

Post by carsfor » 16 Feb 2010, 08:14

Hi every one, I think we can add another bullet to this list, its the barnes solid banded 45 gr. I was told it is a very good addition for reloading the 5.7. Sincerely, Carmsfor :)