Ruger57 magazines

FNFbobcat

Ruger57 magazines

Post by FNFbobcat » 20 Jan 2021, 08:47

Two issues:

1) Mags are coated with the same preservative gunk that is inside the chamber/barrel. No one seems to have any issues with feeding, but I thoroughly cleaned mine inside and out (including spring and follower) with CLP.

2) When reassembling after (1), note that the spring is asymmetrical. It will go in either way, but might cause problems stuffing last couple of rounds if installed incorrectly.
To avoid this, insert spring fully, but not compressed, against the follower. Note the angle of the plastic piece on bottom of spring. It should be parallel to bottom of magazine. If not. remove and rotate 180deg and reinsert.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Re: Ruger57 magazines

Post by panzermk2 » 20 Jan 2021, 09:52

MANY folks have had feeding issues and Ruger has even admitted some of the magazine bodies are under spec on the inside and cause rounds to jam in the body around the 15th round.

Amazing they have all this gunk all over and yet slides that arrive already rusted NIB.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

FNFbobcat

Post by FNFbobcat » 21 Jan 2021, 17:09

I believe many mistake the "Cosmoline like" preservative on new slides for rust. It is exactly the same color. I even made the same assumption until I figured out what it was.

Redding applies a very similar substance to all of it's dies.

For all I know, it might actually be Cosmoline.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 22 Jan 2021, 13:04

Nobody is confusing jack shit. This is just a small sample of the pics I have received.

Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Gunpoor

Post by Gunpoor » 31 Jan 2021, 12:31

I really like my Ruger! And I like to think that i take good care of my shit. Im no newbie to firearms by any means. Ruger as a company needs to step up and take care of this shit!!! If u got a Ruger 57 you had better wiper her down thoroughly EVERY time u touch it.. Fkr would rust in a desert!!!! Real piss poor on their part :x :!:

MC524

Post by MC524 » 31 Oct 2021, 06:53

Came across the YouTube channel and subscribed. Thanks for putting those out.

I purchased this pistol last weekend. Have not had a chance to shoot it yet. I do like to look things over when I buy new stuff “comes from troubleshooting background.”
In regards to the magazine, I noticed the two that came with my gun had different detents stamped in the rolled keeper portion of the magazine. One looked well stamped, the other not so much. I loaded one mag with 20 and then just hand fed them out and the rounds would jam. What I was seeing was with the casing lined up with the detent, it allowed the tip of the bullet to angle down and it was not free from the front of the mag. If I pulled each round all the way back after inserting it into the mag, it changed the feed angle of the round and I could eject by hand no problem.
I’ll note also that when I didn’t pull the round back, and tried to feed a round into the chamber, that the feed angle wasn’t ideal and with slow movement of the slide, the round wouldn’t seat well.
I plan to pick up another mag but I’ll be inspecting for the better stamped detent as it appears to hold the round a bit better.
Like you guys are likely thinking, these mags need some more work. In the amount of time this gun has been out, it should yield enough time for R&D to have made permanent fixes and or redesigned options.
I’ve found this issue to be with many pistols and as always resulted in feed ramp modification and polishing as I’m sure you’ve all had to do as well.
I look forward to your recoil spring and guide rod. Plastic?? Really!