nightstand flashlight

A place to talk about your torches
fzr confused

nightstand flashlight

Post by fzr confused » 23 Sep 2012, 12:33

ok now that i have my pocket light squared away, what do you have on your nightstand for a light? i am looking for a light that i can keep on my nightstand for when things go bump in the night. i want the person to be blinded by the sun from this light. i would like it to be able to have at least 3 settings, high/strobe/"normal". i would like to be able to take this with me when i walk my new puppy. my last dog never chased anything like frogs so i never NEEDED a light. my new puppy chases after everything! haha. so using my pocket light with its 2 mode which i picked high and strobe does not work the best, it ends up blinding me and im sure the dog as well. as far as size, i do not care really how large it is, i will not be putting this one in my pocket so it can be as large as my 3D maglite, that is fine. trying not to spend more than 150-200 on this light.

i am hoping mike will chime in with 1 i can build :).

PainKillaX

Re: nightstand flashlight

Post by PainKillaX » 23 Sep 2012, 12:36

Stumbled across this the other day

http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-Flashlights ... B003TGZHSW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But I am by NO means a flashlight guru.

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 23 Sep 2012, 15:32

Illumination supply has 50% off their jetbeam lights. I think this would fit the bill for what you are looking for:

light: https://illuminationsupply.com/m2s-sst5 ... b8e872d1ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This charger: http://www.oveready.com/batteries-charg ... od_44.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This charger if you REALLY need to save money: http://www.oveready.com/batteries-charg ... od_43.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This battery (x2): http://www.oveready.com/batteries-charg ... d_186.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1000 lumens on high for an hour. Cant do wrong with that setup...

This will have a TON of throw since the reflector is so big. this will be useful for things like walking the dog.

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 23 Sep 2012, 21:19

That's a pretty beefy looking light mike! Thanks for the links, I am def gunna look into that one :). Running rechargeable batteries is def a plus since I plan to use this a lot more often than other lights with my pup and everything.

bobapunk
Gold Member
custom title: EA's range buddy

Post by bobapunk » 24 Sep 2012, 05:12

I have a Fenix TX40 for a nightstand light. I have had no problems with it at all.

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 24 Sep 2012, 12:05

once you go rechargeable you dont go back. I was kicking and screaming while buying all my rechargeable stuff. I spent about $350 bucks on the best charger you can get for Li-Ions and then a bunch of different sized cells. I REALLY did not want to spend that much but once you have rechargeables, you never think twice about using your light or for how long. Primaries are expensive and give you no where near the performance. Buy once, cry once. Get a good charger and a few good rechargeables from one of the top manufacturers and your set.

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 24 Sep 2012, 12:19

Kinda wish I had picked up that M2S from Illumination Supply instead of the NovaTac but it would likely be too big for both a weapon or to toss in a daypack like I wanted...Since you brought it up and thread drift is kind of the signature of this forum, who do you recommend for rechargeables?

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 24 Sep 2012, 13:11

For the most part, any company that uses panasonic cells and has a protection circuit (unless you get the IMR chemistry.)

AW
Redilast
Cali customs
Etc.

I would just stick with AW and call it a day. They have THE best reputation. their stuff is rock solid.

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 24 Sep 2012, 14:24

Thanks again mike! After looking at that lights dimensions it is not nearly as large as I thought it was looking at it on my phone lol. Looks like a great choice and yea, rechargeable is def the way to go when I walk my dog 1-2 miles 3 times a day. The night walk is normally about 30 minutes at least (gotta tire this puppy out!!!!).

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 24 Sep 2012, 15:59

fzr confused wrote:TAfter looking at that lights dimensions it is not nearly as large as I thought it was looking at it
I was going to say this but then I didnt want you to get it based off what I think then been like "No, this thing is huge..."

The body is really thin, probably about 24mm in diameter at most. The bezel is just a little larger than a D Maglite but weighs a fraction of the Mag. That is really a killer price for that light. I wish I could afford it right now as you will never likely see it again at 50% off. And at 50% off, I can not suggest anything even remotely close to get into your budget.

Ive wanted this guy for a while but have not pulled the trigger yet:

http://goinggear.com/flashlights/flashl ... light.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and the light im dreaming about right now:

http://goinggear.com/olight-x6-marauder ... light.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 24 Sep 2012, 17:25

that RRT-3 is sick!!! but way out of my budget right now :(

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 24 Sep 2012, 17:30

Git yourself a man light. http://www.opticsplanet.com/phoebus-hor ... light.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:laugh:

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 24 Sep 2012, 17:41

Ill take the x6 I posted LOOOONG before the HID.

HID is $1300, takes time to warm up, takes time to cool down and can not be switched on and off repeatadly. Plus bulbs have a short life span.

X6 is almost 1/3rd the price, almost twice as bright, can be switched on and off as much as you would like and the bulbs/diode is good for a VERY long time....

Gimme the x6!

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 25 Sep 2012, 18:18

well i was just about to pull the trigger on that light mike, but then i got the email from EA about the t6 haha. might still pick it up tonight though....

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 28 Sep 2012, 16:18

ordered the flashlight just a few min ago. i have tons of cr123's that i want to burn up and then i will get those 18650's. besides the price of the charger, what makes the other charger worth the extra 30 bucks?

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 01 Oct 2012, 16:53

fzr confused wrote:ordered the flashlight just a few min ago. i have tons of cr123's that i want to burn up and then i will get those 18650's. besides the price of the charger, what makes the other charger worth the extra 30 bucks?
The charging algorithm.

If you really want to geek out and know the difference, read about cc vs cc/cv chargers. Long story short, they are better for batteries in the long run. They keep batteries healthier.

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 01 Oct 2012, 17:23

Yea, the technical side I will prob never understand, but if it keeps the batteries in working order longer, I will get it! Thanks for all the help mike!

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 01 Oct 2012, 17:35

No problem Mang.

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 06 Oct 2012, 12:57

got the light in today and i tried to put 4 cr123's in it and it does NOT fit. i start reading the instructions and it says i need to use an extended body for 4 cr123's or 2 18650's? is this the one i would need?
https://illuminationsupply.com/m1x-exte ... b8e872d1ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wish i knew i needed that before i bought it, could have saved some shipping charges lol

when using 3 cr123's (same output) it does not appear THAT much brighter than my fourseven that is rated at 360 lumen, but the beam is a LOOOOOOT tighter. the 480 lumen from the mid mode is about the same brightness as the fourseven, but click it on high (1000 lumen) and its barely noticeable. still a bright @$$ light though!

edit: under further review with it being both darker as well as adding distance the new light is a heck of a lot brighter. i made my first assumptions based off of them in my bathroom (only room that gets black) which is only a few feet. then also blinding myself, they both do that well. but once it got dark outside, yes the new light wins hands down!

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 07 Oct 2012, 07:15

lol

"Battery Type: CR123X3,CR123 X 4 or 18650 Li-ion X 2 (with cell extender)"

Yes, that should be the 1 cr cell extender for the military series JB lights.

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 07 Oct 2012, 08:21

yeah, i thought that meant for the 18650's. its ok, ill pick order that and those 18650's