SuperBowl, Coke, WTF?

Discuss the politics behind the gun industry.
jgreenberg01
Platinum Member
custom title: FNP-45 Cylon

Re: SuperBowl, Coke, WTF?

Post by jgreenberg01 » 08 Feb 2014, 05:14

Cyberfly wrote:Point.
Maybe I'm just a little annoyed with you Fly - you left me frakking hanging again after the last MS book. Way to torture people :p
0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Post by panzermk2 » 08 Feb 2014, 10:42

I got mine!
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 09 Feb 2014, 00:45

jgreenberg01 wrote:
Cyberfly wrote:Point.
Maybe I'm just a little annoyed with you Fly - you left me frakking hanging again after the last MS book. Way to torture people :p
The fourth one (and was supposed to be the LAST one) wraps up 90%+ of everything.
It's due out in...May?? Yeah, I think it's May.

What's it worth to be a 'beta' reader? :lmao:
You could always read Whispers until then. Oh, and Caldera is due out in March.
Oh, and Forneus Corson WILL BE going to publication, so...yeah.
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

kismetcapitan

Post by kismetcapitan » 12 Feb 2014, 09:53

- "America the Beautiful" is not the national anthem. Any citizen of our country must know that; NO EXCEPTIONS.

- Most countries are defined by a single ethnicity, culture, and language. The United States is one of the few which, by design, is NOT. What makes an American an American isn't being (or accepting the culture of) White and Protestant, but a belief and unwavering loyalty in American ideals and our sacred constitution.

- The United States has no official language. Ever wonder why the framers of our constitution, who had the foresight to guarantee our individual liberties of speech, right of self-defense, etc, specifically left that out? America has no inherent cultural language; we use the borrowed language of the English, yet last I checked, I ain't English and I don't bow down to their queen. To make English an official language holds us down, no matter how subtly, to the language of the people of England. Being American, again, is tied to the ideals of our country, NOT a single language and the attendant Anglo-Saxon culture.

- I personally found the commercial to be patriotic to the point of possibly being offensive to OTHER cultures. As in, America is so beautiful and great in ANY language; that any person on this planet, no matter what culture or language, can clearly see, understand, and appreciate how glorious and beautiful America is. And for immigrants who have come to this country, they've already been singing the American Dream in every possible language before coming here.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 12 Feb 2014, 19:57

I choose to respectfully disagree.

kismetcapitan

Post by kismetcapitan » 13 Feb 2014, 15:20

Cyberfly wrote:I choose to respectfully disagree.
Understandably so; I only speak English and I am American to the bone.

I just can't see personally how English is "my" language; it's the language of our former oppressor, and while I'm fine with borrowing it and even more fine with it becoming the de facto world language, 200+ years of use doesn't turn "English" into "American". Maybe there's an angle I'm not seeing, but the English language is no more culturally American than it is is for the Irish, and they actually have an Irish language (Gaelic), even if few Irish even bother to learn it these days.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 13 Feb 2014, 21:47

Naw, I don't buy the whole 'oppressor' bit.
We were an English colony...well, among many such colonies. My ancestors actually came over here BEFORE the English. The original Swedish settlers that settled around DE. But that's neither here nor there.
Nearly EVERY language in existence has been used by an 'oppressor' at one time in history or another.
I think my gripe with the whole language thing is this. If anybody from the States moved to...say, Mexico. You'd be expected to learn Spanish. If you demanded that everybody ELSE learn your language, provide government interpreters, provide teachers that spoke YOUR language to teach your kids, etc, you'd get visited in the middle of the night and IF you survived the beating, you'd find your happy A$$ tossed back across the river in no time.
If one moved to France, you'd be expected to learn French. Germany? Yup. You'd be expected to learn German.
While America is excuse me, WAS, a melting pot, now things have been twisted. No longer are people expected to blend in. To become American. You're expected to HYPHENATE yourself. Oh, your family came El Salvador? You're a Latin-American. You're from Mexican descent? Mexican-American. You're black? Then you're African-American...no, I don't care if your family moved here from Jamaica, all blacks MUST have come from Africa, so...fit to the PC norm or GTFO.
I've had it up to here with PC crap. Oh...sorry..you can't see where my hand is. Take a wild guess.
>sigh<
Don't misunderstand. I'm not bashing anybody here who's opinion is different than mine. I'm too old, tired, set in my ways and grumpy to change and I don't expect to change anybody else. I've become a lot more...'accepting' in my older age.
But those who claim that immigrants weren't required to learn the language in the past? I'm sorry. They're just wrong. In the PAST, they had to not only prove they had a job, they had to prove a basic proficiency in the language and pass a civics test that most natives with a high school diploma couldn't pass. THOSE immigrants I respect. They WANTED to be American.
I actually spoke with an immigration attorney. I was venting about 'why couldn't they make things easier'. He explained to me that America has probably the easiest process of ALL countries. But, if you don't speak the language...the forms can be confusing. That made sense. Yes, it takes time. But mostly because of the country where they are coming from and their late replies for certain paperwork. Plus the wheels of government turn slow.
REGARDLESS, the whole Coke commercial, to me (so yeah, it's just my opinion), was in bad taste. It was a slap in the face to the old-fashioned idea of what America is supposed to be. We're no longer a melting pot. We're a haven for 187 different little countries with more freedoms. For the moment. But again, there's nothing wrong with old-fashioned. Just because something is old-fashioned doesn't mean it doesn't work anymore. Not everything needs to be 'new and improved'. Like my son and anything mechanical, he'll fix it to death. That's what liberalism, Political correctness and Progressivism is doing to this country....they're 'fixing' it to death. It wasn't broken.
Sometimes folks need to just leave sh!t alone.

ddouglas
Gold Member

Post by ddouglas » 13 Feb 2014, 21:48

I've been married to an English woman for 38 years. I captured her in the UK from her home in Claygate, Surrey. (That's about 30 miles SW of London.) She's as English as they get. And believe me, if you speak "American", you ain't speaking English. We are fortunate, however, that there is enough similarity between English and American that we can understand each other. Well, most of the time. And our written words are also mostly interchangeable. :)

About 40 years ago, sitting around a lunch table with my then New Girl's family (10 of us around the table), I was talking and I got the sense that everyone was staring at me. I stopped talking. My New Girl's sister said, "Oh, please don't stop talking. We so enjoy your accent."

And in the UK, don't call for a "napkin" when what you mean is a "serviette". In English, one is an appliance put on one's lap to catch spilt food; the other is an item related to feminine hygiene.