whould this work or be legal?

General reloading

Moderator: Grantness

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Re: whould this work or be legal?

Post by Cyberfly » 16 Feb 2010, 07:42

Trust me, Elite has rounds, VERY available to the public, that outperform FN's SS190 rounds.
Check their website for availability, but most all of their rounds outperform the 190. My first choice is ANYTHING with the name RapTOR in it... :ponder:
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

User42

Post by User42 » 16 Feb 2010, 17:47

The entire idea of firing back at a vehicle driving away is a very bad idea. I'm most definitely NOT advocating against self defense, I'm just saying keep in mind the realities of the situation. The main point of a drive by is to take as many shots as you want, and get away as fast as possible. Even if you have a gun in your hand, getting up and walking to the window when they have already started shooting is obviously not a good idea. Odds are at least one person can aim, and even if they can't aim it's not hard to get lucky if you make yourself a big target. If you get to the window as they are driving away you get maybe seconds to take a difficult shot, and unless you live in the middle of nowhere you probably have a better chance of hitting a neighboring house than a person in that car. You are liable for every round that comes out of your gun, regardless of what you were shooting at.

I for one would go for a spike strip. Have you ever seen a video of police laying spike strips down? Only one part of the strip has spikes, so cars can run over it all day long until the spike part is pulled into the road, and it can be immediately pulled away to allow other cars to pass. If I really thought someone was going to do a driveby soon I might put something like that out, a spike chain coiled out of the way on the other side of the road, attached to a thin unnoticeable line laid across the road. You could run it into the house, and if someone starts shooting pull the line. If you get the cars tires they aren't going too far... and I wouldn't even shoot at them then. I would lock the door, close the windows, and sit there with a beer in one hand and a shotgun in the other. One three digit phone call, and the police will come collect the car and round them up shortly. The shotgun would be in case any of them were stupid enough to walk back to my house, and the beer would be because that is very unlikely. They are going to be trying to get away from the police, but hell even if they do they just lost their car. If I didn't get the car I would just put the line away, it's still better than going to jail for killing someone on accident.

If that's not feasable, another idea would be a high powered paintball gun. Some of those can shoot 10 rounds a second, and if you plaster the back of their car with pink paint as they drive away they will be much easier for the police to spot. Better still if you had paintballs that would eat away at the cars paint, but then again the neighbors probably wouldn't like that either.

I'm not really saying either of these are good ideas for someone else to do, just what I might do in that situation. Really, whatever you do don't go to jail for "blasting" back at a speeding car and hitting the wrong person.
If a man dedicates his life to good deeds and the welfare of others, He will die unthanked and unremembered. If he exercises his genius bringing death and misery to billions, his name will echo down through the millennia for a hundred lifetimes.

Gearhead721

Post by Gearhead721 » 05 May 2010, 18:30

Has anyone loaded the 45gr barnes banded solid?

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 05 May 2010, 21:08

Have you tried the search function? There is a thread for that bullet

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6008" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

Valorius
Banned
custom title: 5.7 proponent

Post by Valorius » 01 Jun 2010, 11:27

Clearly what the OP needs is a command detonated land mine out front. :D

murphies_finest
custom title: King Thread Killer.

Post by murphies_finest » 01 Jun 2010, 11:31

panzermk2 wrote:The thing that works best is this.

A small amount of mercury and then epoxy to seal it in. Makes the bullet do crazy things when it hits. If the BG does not die right away that's cool also. He will die very painfully, slowly anywhere from 1 to 4 days, in the ICU with all the doctors standing around unable to do a damn thing for his sorry ass.

I was just about to mention that of course I saw this done on that old gayties er 80's movie "The Exterminator" then they made a sequel starring Mario Van Peebles.
Keep Working Millions on Welfare Depend on YOU.

Valorius
Banned
custom title: 5.7 proponent

Post by Valorius » 01 Jun 2010, 11:43

That was first done in the movie Jaws II, in the 1970s, when Roy Schieder prepares six bullets with mercury poisoning for use against the Shark. LOL.

I would think that a few drops of cyanide would work a heck of a lot better.

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 01 Jun 2010, 12:46

I am curious, what are the legalities regarding modifying a projectile with poison?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 01 Jun 2010, 13:01

Valorius wrote:That was first done in the movie Jaws II, in the 1970s, when Roy Schieder prepares six bullets with mercury poisoning for use against the Shark. LOL.

cyanide is not that deadly in small amounts. Also if discovered actions can be taken. Not so with the Mercury. Even if they find it your dead anyway. Thallium is good for that also.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 01 Jun 2010, 14:11

panzermk2 wrote:
Valorius wrote:That was first done in the movie Jaws II, in the 1970s, when Roy Schieder prepares six bullets with mercury poisoning for use against the Shark. LOL.

cyanide is not that deadly in small amounts. Also if discovered actions can be taken. Not so with the Mercury. Even if they find it your dead anyway. Thallium is good for that also.
How much mercury can you fit in a 195 projectile? How much weight would that add? How would the liquid change the flight characteristics? I'm curious but I don't know where to begin answering these questions.

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 01 Jun 2010, 16:35

:facepalm:

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 01 Jun 2010, 17:05

Hah :D

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 02 Jun 2010, 09:12

PainKillaX wrote:
panzermk2 wrote:

How much mercury can you fit in a 195 projectile? How much weight would that add? How would the liquid change the flight characteristics? I'm curious but I don't know where to begin answering these questions.

OH PLEASE MAKE IT STOP I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING IT HURTS SO BAD
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 02 Jun 2010, 09:49

There there Blue... It'll be Ok...

:suicide:

ynoty3k
custom title: Hoplophile

Post by ynoty3k » 02 Jun 2010, 11:19

are we actually peddling advice on counter drive-by activities?

I thought we were better than this... :facepalm:

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 03 Jun 2010, 23:15

satellitedr3ams wrote:counter-drive by, is my 11" 50 beo wulf
Holy.

Shit.

Talk about legit.

If I make it to the next shoot, remind me not to stand next to your muzzle brake, thanks.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.