New to internet sales

Post firearms for sale or want to buy requests.
Forum rules
1. Prices MUST be listed. No "make offer" ads.

2. No links to auction sites.

3. List your location in either the title, thread content or your profile.

4. Dealers must subscribe or email me at [email protected] to discuss options.

5. You must have a minimum of 50 posts on this board to post WTS advertisements, or have a paid membership. Insignificant posts and smilies do not count.

6. Do not bump your ad unless it is no longer visible on the 1st page.

Thank you for your cooperation. If you have any questions, feel free to PM or email me.
BIGCAP

New to internet sales

Post by BIGCAP » 08 Mar 2009, 19:00

Ok I have never sold anything through an internet sale before. I know some of you out there are experts and I was hoping you could give me a rundown on how to sell a firearm to someone over the internet. Usually if I sell a firearm it is to someone face to face so the changing of money or trade is not an issue. How do you sell and pay unless it is by blind faith in the individual? If I know the person it is not an issue but on the net sometimes you just dont know. Any info or experiences on how to do this or how not to do this would be helpful. I am planning on listing a firearm or two for sale in the next week or so here on the Forum so anything would be helpful.

Thank you in advance.

Bigcap

Wollychop

Re: New to internet sales

Post by Wollychop » 08 Mar 2009, 19:30

Selling is no big deal. Require payment up front and a copy of the destination FFL sent to your dealer (faxed is easiest). Once your dealer has the FFL and you have been paid, its easy; your dealer mails to his dealer. There is no risk to you since you are not shipping until you have been paid and you are shipping to a dealer.

I think BUYING from an individual online takes a lot more faith. There are certain protections on gunbroker, but through a forum I think getting references and a "warm fuzzy" is a must. That's one of the reasons we set up the user feedback section.

BIGCAP

Post by BIGCAP » 08 Mar 2009, 20:12

Thanks for the info Wooly. Is it wrong then to take payment directly from an individual and then mail the firearm directly to the person? Or is it just safer to go through a dealer?

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 08 Mar 2009, 20:16

IIRC you can't mail directly to the individual. Someone knows the laws better than me, but I thought one could ship the firearm to the individuals FFL.

BIGCAP

Post by BIGCAP » 08 Mar 2009, 20:22

That would be easier and eliminate one of the dealer fees involved if that were possible.

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 08 Mar 2009, 20:29

(B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier? [Back]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

BIGCAP

Post by BIGCAP » 08 Mar 2009, 20:48

Ok. That makes sense. So I need to use UPS, FEDEX or the like for handguns in state and no dealer required or again UPS or FEDEX to a dealer out of state. Thanks for the info Buffman.

gotants

Post by gotants » 09 Mar 2009, 04:40

Because of laws on age requirements to purchase, I would also demand a copy of a Drivers License (or similar state/fed ID) and demand having a signature upon receiving said purchase.

Ya know the ole saying....
CYA

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 09 Mar 2009, 05:13

"Warm Fuzzy"? Is that when you throw Fuzzy in the microwave for a few turns? :D
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

BIGCAP

Post by BIGCAP » 09 Mar 2009, 05:36

flyingirish04 wrote:"Warm Fuzzy"? Is that when you throw Fuzzy in the microwave for a few turns? :D

:lmao:

bobapunk
Gold Member
custom title: EA's range buddy

Post by bobapunk » 09 Mar 2009, 07:56

The buyer should always pay with a USPS Money Order. Then you have recourse if the seller backs out of the deal.

As far as FFL's go. If the buyer and seller reside in the same state, no FFL is needed. If it is an inter state transfer the seller must ship to an FFL in the buyers state of residence.

You can ship to the buyer's FFL directly, or have your FFL ship it for you.

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 09 Mar 2009, 09:16

flyingirish04 wrote:"Warm Fuzzy"? Is that when you throw Fuzzy in the microwave for a few turns? :D
HAHAHA

lmmmmm

Post by lmmmmm » 09 Mar 2009, 11:00

if you ship yourself to an FFL, make sure that FFL accepts transfers from a private party.

Some FFL's only accept from another FFL.

5Jeffro7

Post by 5Jeffro7 » 09 Mar 2009, 11:11

lmmmmm wrote:if you ship yourself to an FFL, make sure that FFL accepts transfers from a private party.

Some FFL's only accept from another FFL.
if you ship yourself to an FFL, make sure you package yourself in crush-proof packaging, leave ventilation holes, pack food/water & wear attends/depends :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

wetwrks

Post by wetwrks » 09 Mar 2009, 14:30

UPS requires firearms to be shipped to an FFL via overnight delivery and must have an adult signature from the receiving FFL.

lmmmmm

Post by lmmmmm » 09 Mar 2009, 15:45

wetwrks wrote:UPS requires firearms to be shipped to an FFL via overnight delivery and must have an adult signature from the receiving FFL.
and use the smallest box possible. otherwise you will be paying for the expected weight on the size of your box. Overnight cost calculation is based more on size than weight and distance. If you put a 1lb item in a very large box they will 'add' weight to your cost due to the size of the box taking up precious cargo hold space.

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 09 Mar 2009, 16:10

I've been told that while the site states that (UPS and FedEx) many have shipped through UPS or Fedex slower than overnight shipping without an issue.

BIGCAP

Post by BIGCAP » 09 Mar 2009, 18:26

Thank you everyone. This is all great information. I appreciate everyones input.

Captain Dock

Post by Captain Dock » 09 Mar 2009, 18:53

Many gunsmiths have their guns sent to them marked machine parts to eliminate the hassle factor. According to the BATFE website you can also ship a gun to "yourself" like for a hunting trip, wink wink.

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 09 Mar 2009, 20:53

Medula Oblongata wrote:Wink wink... go to jail...

Not a winning combination.

Yeah mislabeling packages is a big no no. I'm not sure how serious of a crime it is to do across states, but doing it across international borders is a felony offense. That's the reason I had the FBI visit me a few years ago. The Douche bag from Canada mislabeled the package, and mis valued it to, to pay less tax on it or whatever. I had to prove to them I didn't tell him to mislabel it. It didn't help the package contained the main ingredient for Flash powder :) They were cool about it. ATF didn't pay me a visit, but the local police did and advised me not to be making anymore of what I was making :)

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 10 Mar 2009, 05:28

i agree with the statement about selling is much "safer" than buying online since you hold the power of not shipping until money is received. i would also recommend using paypal instead of taking checks. cashiers checks and money orders are some of the biggest counterfeit checks going around right now (that and those stimulus checks were a HUGE issue). even waiting 7-10 business days doesnt guarantee payment now a days. sure check 21 sped up the process of clearing checks, but onlye the real checks. the GOOD counterfeit checks will bounce around for up to 2 months before anyone notices anything is up. it is amazing how tweaking a few of those numbers will make it bounce back and forth between the feds.....

sabotteur
custom title: Big Dog Outfitters

Post by sabotteur » 10 Mar 2009, 08:42

Postal money orders seem to be the norm anymore. Like previously mentioned, certified checks are too easy to counterfit. Also, I think there are higher penalties with fraud when involving the post office. Keep in mind too though that anyone that uses a bad check to purchase a firearm has already commited a federal felony. Contact the ATF immediately if this ever happens to you for some reason. Paypal you have to becareful of. If they find out you are using them to facilitate a firearm transaction, they will more than likely ban your account. They are not very second amendment friendly.

If your going to buy a gun online, I suggest purchasing through a retailers website, someone like DSA, centerfire, AIM, military gun supply, Buds Gun Shop, etc. These guys have been in business for quite some time now. If you have any questions about reputable online dealers, just drop a line on the forums, I'm sure someone here will have dealt with them at some point and can give you feedback.

I also recommend gunbroker, but make sure you check the user ratings. Make sure that if they have a high number, it isn't all just as a buyer. You want to make sure they have done some selling too. Also, don't be turned off if someone has a rating of +1000 and has a negative or two. Having sold a number of things now on gunbroker, you'd be suprised how stupid some of your future customers are. They can't follow directions, don't read the auction details, try to renig on deals, etc. So, once you've done enough transactions on GB, your bound to get one or two negatives. So far I've been able to work through the two or three idiots I've had to deal with, but it has been a pain in the ass. Make sure that you check the shipping cost with any online auction, as alot of times the price will be right on the item your looking at, but you'll take it in the rear on the shipping and handling cost. This is where some of the dealers are trying to get back the fees that GB charges to sell.

I'd say the same for Auction Arms, though I'm less a fan of them than I am gunbroker. They follow an e-bay model, and tend to lend themselves more towards hunting and C&R weapons. I've purchased a few things through them, and other than some differences of opinion on item description, I've had good experiences.

Finally, and I hate to say this, having been prior service myself, do no ship to APOs if you are a seller. Back in the day, you could ship just about anything to an APO no worries. Now, depending on where the APO is you have to fill out a custom declaration form. Usually not a biggy, and the PO could care less if you ship gun parts (just no ammo or pistols) but the country your shipping to or the the one that the plane or truck has to travel through may raise a stink, and either detain your package or RTS it. I've had this happen twice now to guys buying stuff from me.

Oh, one last tip. Never buy something that has to be shipped from another country. There is a guy right now on auction arms selling 75 round norico drums for AKs. He is here in the states, and you send your money to him here in the states, and then he has the drum shipped from China. Having dealt with this type of arrangment a few years ago on trying to get some things from Russia, this will usually end up in you no receiving your stuff. In my case, the guy had his import license, but customs still ate half my shipment. It was too bad, as it was new handguards for a Tiger. I did get the magazines though, but something to be aware of. Best to buy from guys that have the stuff in their hands.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Sabo
Last edited by sabotteur on 10 Mar 2009, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.

sabotteur
custom title: Big Dog Outfitters

Post by sabotteur » 10 Mar 2009, 08:50

wetwrks wrote:UPS requires firearms to be shipped to an FFL via overnight delivery and must have an adult signature from the receiving FFL.

Think this is only for handguns, as I've had several long guns shipped via both UPS and FEDEX to my FFL from other FFLs and they have come Ground, or as I call it turtle. How it takes 11 days for a FNAR to go from a dealer in Idaho to Virginia is beyond me.

I'm in the process of setting up my UPS account and I'll make sure I get some clarification and let folks know the skinny.

Sabo

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 10 Mar 2009, 08:51

Great tips Sabo.

Consider this thread sticky'd.

mickey223

Post by mickey223 » 10 Mar 2009, 18:19

I've probably bought and sold online more than I care to admit.

For Handguns...always, always transfer through an FFL no matter what. Have your dealer send it to his dealer. Even though it is legal to sale instate and transfer it is a lot less headache and worry.

For a long gun:

In state - you have the option of doing a face to face if agreable...if buying the seller may want a copy of your DL or CCW permit. If selling, you definitely want a copy of the buyer's drivers license and keep a record of the firearm and DL somewhere safe (I use a program called NM Collector JE, but there is a free program called gun safe that you can keep on a flash drive and store in a good fireproof box to record all transactions, you can even encrypt the drive, but that is a whole other topic)

Out of state - Package the rifle nicely, but do not seal and request the dealers FFL and phone number.
Verify the FFL with ATF ez-check
call the dealer and confirm that they will accept transfer from a non licensed individual...they usually require a copy of your DL for their records. (you can also verify that the rifle and magazines are legal in that person's state/local)
Make sure you let the buyer know up front that if he sends payment, but cannot accept the rifle legally, that you will with hold shipping and transfer costs backl to you.
Also, state who you are selling the rifle to and only that individual may accept the rifle (I actually had a guy purchase from me on barf.com and then have his wife try to accept trasnfer...turns out he had a felony conviction, I sent the dealer a money order and my dealers FFL to have the rifle sent back, once it was in my hands, I sent the guy a refund less fees)

Take the rifle to a UPS Customer Center. Be honest and notify them you have a rifle for shipment. Have you DL and a copy of the FFL handy. They will verify the contents of the box and make sure that there is NO AMMO with the rifle, they have to ship seperately.
After that, the friendly UPS person will seal the box and even put an ORM-D sticker on it for you.
If the person is not so nice and doesn't want to ship, politely ask to speak to the supervisor. If they aren't so nice, politely ask them to call UPS customer service. However, the Customer Center still has a right to refuse any shipment even if you are legally in the right. Be corteuos and leave.

Out of State purchase:
Verify, verify, verify...make sure you know who you are buying from and make sure they have some form of seller feedback.

Use a US Postal Service Money order, although not 100% you'll get your money back, they are the best for being able to track if the money order is cashed or not (just be sure to hold on to your reciept and the other half of the money order)

Most importantly, on the money order put the person's name and address as well as your name and address and what it is for.

Send the money order via priority mail with signature confirmation (keep the receipt) to a physical address, not a post office.

Make sure your dealer accepts from individuals and send a copy of the FFL with the money order. Also, request a copy of the sellers Drivers License and most importantly your name and phone number in the box with the rifle (why...do you know how many times I've had a rifle sitting at my dealers and he have no clue who ordered it?)

Once the money order shows delivered (2-3 days) verify with the seller receipt of money order and request shipping update....give no more than 3-4 days for shipping, but be polite.

Once shipped, request the tracking number so you can verify shipment, give no more than 2 days for this.

If you pay for it, and it doesn't ship, really you can not do anything until you verify with the postal service that the money order was cashed, which takes up to 60 days.
Take the receipt to the post office and fill out form 6401 at a cost of $5.20.
Once the money order has been verified cashed you can try contacting the local sheriffs department of the seller and see if they will work with you. However, most of the time they will tell you it is a civil matter and all you can do is get a good lawyer. Unless the person has defrauded several people, then they tend to consider it a criminal case. (please correct me if I am wrong)

hkusp40cal

Post by hkusp40cal » 02 Apr 2009, 06:17

If you sent the money via the post office and you did not received the item promised you can go to the local post office and speak with the inspector and file a mail fraud complaint. It is amazing how quickly things get resolved after doing this. I had to do this on Ebay once when the seller ignored me for a month. Exactly 2 days after I filed the mail fraud complaint, my money was refunded.

wetdawg

Post by wetdawg » 17 May 2009, 14:33

My experience with my FEDEX account is the same as Sabo explained above. Non-licensee can ship handguns Overnight to out-of-state FFL. Be prepared to show them receiver's FFL copy, put a copy in the box, along with your DL/CCW copy for their "record keeping", and make sure that they know that it's a firearm. They will automatically put the Adult Signature Required on the package.

And as said in the earliest posts - research your seller on the forum board. Are they for real, or just a trouble-maker?

Enjoy your new toy!