Looking for EOTWAWKI Zombie Survival Blade

Discuss the one tool no person should be without - a good knife!
Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Looking for EOTWAWKI Zombie Survival Blade

Post by Vortec MAX » 21 Jan 2010, 09:11

After watching the Book of Eli, I realize that I don't really have a large fixed blade survival knife/sword/machete. I think I need one. I would prefer either an El Salvador or Bolo style machete or a straight blade katana/ninja style. It needs to be tough and practical without costing a fortune. Ideally, I'd like to spend under 400 bucks. I also want a U.S. made blade, although blades from places like Japan, Germany, and Switzerland would be OK too.

I really don't need the blade to be "ornate" or "dressed up." I prefer is was not because I don't want to pay extra for that.

I saw an ad or an article for a U.S. made katana style survival blade (sword?) that was really impressive. The only problem is, I can't remember where I saw it, or what the blade was called. I remember seeing either pictures or video of a guy bending the blade over in a vice to like 90 degrees and seeing it return to its normal shape. There were also tests where the guy was hacking up objects that I thought would harm the blade but it didn't. I remember thinking "I want one of those." I also remember the price being between 300 and 400 dollars. Does this ring any bells for anyone???

I have searched thorugh every gun magazine, Field and Stream, and Popular Mechanics I have. I was sure it was in one of those... but I can't find it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have looked at these, but they are not quite the quality of the one I really like:

Condor Machetes
Cold Steel Katana
Ontario Black Wind Katana - Discontinued
Ontario Machetes

Mike

ddouglas
Gold Member

Re: Looking for EOTWAWKI Zombie Survival Blade

Post by ddouglas » 21 Jan 2010, 09:56

Go to Ace Hardware and buy one. You can use it to whack weeds, too. If you cannot find one at your local Ace, send me $300 and I'll buy one for you and send it to you, with free postage thrown in just because I'm a nice guy.

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 21 Jan 2010, 10:13

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to find the one I want at ACE. I appreciate the offer however :skep:

Mike

Llagoud
custom title: A is A

Post by Llagoud » 21 Jan 2010, 11:01

http://zombietools.net/ ???

Personally.....I like my sugarcane knives, 2 for $10 :laugh:

Ariac

Post by Ariac » 21 Jan 2010, 11:04

http://www.reliks.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=1460" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Old school. Great for splitting skulls, and chopping limbs.

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 21 Jan 2010, 12:26

Thanks for the links guys. There are some very cool blades on both of those sites. Keep them coming.

I am finding that I prefer the katana/ninja style swords with straight blades and tanto points.

Mike

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 21 Jan 2010, 12:47

I thought I may have found the "one" until I discovered that these are all made in China. They look like high quality blades however.

Cheness

I know the one I saw in the ad or article was U.S. made and of similar quality to the Cheness blades.

Mike

Llagoud

Post by Llagoud » 21 Jan 2010, 14:02

These folks have some nice pre-owned edged weapons....the variety is interesting

http://www.antiqueswords.com/Topic%20Pa ... eapons.htm

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator
custom title: Sweeper

Post by MrSlippyFist » 21 Jan 2010, 20:25

I got a Gerber machete from some site for like $30 a long time ago. It's got a nice saw edge on the spine, should do me nicely when the zombies attack.
Embrace the Suck

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 21 Jan 2010, 20:56

How do you like the Gerber? I was worried it might be a little too light. I was looking for a blade that is at least 1/8" thick. I thought the extra heft would help get the zombie heads off. If the heads dangle but don't come off, the zombies still come after you... right? :p

Mike

Llagoud

Post by Llagoud » 22 Jan 2010, 02:38

Have you considered the Woodman's Pal options?

http://www.woodmanspal.com/products.html

The 17" is a bit short...but they make a 22" and there are some great pre-owned military models available...

And again...vintage sugarcane knives are plentiful at southern flea-markets for under $10...

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 22 Jan 2010, 08:33

I like the Woodsman's Pals, and I think they are ideally suited to what they were designed for; chopping brush and light hatchet work. I don't think they are ideally suited to zombie slaying. I would like a blade that can wound even if it grazes, and a point that can be driven through. I would like more reach as well. You want to stay out of that arms length reach of a zombie. I think a Katana/Ninja style with a heavy (3/16") blade can clear brush and do light chopping when needed, but would excel if the zombies came for me. Also, I would look sharp carrying a Katana when I wear my special Ninja boots that allow me to climb walls. :lmao:

Mike

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 22 Jan 2010, 23:09

I am wondering if I saw portions of these videos. I will have to research if these Cold Steel blades are US made.

Cold Steel Warrior Series Katanas
Cold Steel Imperial Series Katanas

Mike

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 24 Jan 2010, 20:09

I bought a Gerber Gator Machete at Sportsman's Warehouse this weekend. I tried to put a decent edge on the thing. I am not very impressed. The blade is too thin and there is not enough "heft" to it. I think I am going to try a machete from Cold Steel or Ontario next. I am also trying to buy one of each of the Ontario Black Wind swords that are discontinued. So far, I have had no luck.

I guess I'll aproach this like everything else I do. I'll keep buying stuff until I find what I like. That gets expensive after awhile.

By the way, the Cold Steel swords are also made in China. I am convinced that those are the videos I remember seeing, so I guess I was wrong about them being U.S. made blades. The Ontario swords are U.S. made if I can find them.

Mike

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 25 Jan 2010, 07:47

I thought Cold Steel made all their own stuff? I know they make their own machetes. They have a video up on Youtube that shows them going through the manufacturing process and them testing them throughout, but I thought they made ALL their own blades.
Hmm. You know what they say about assumption, eh. :ponder:
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

freelienr

Post by freelienr » 26 Jan 2010, 19:23

in my opinion a roman style short sword would kick butt. Keep the good times rolling no matter which way you swing... or something of a double edged influence.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 26 Jan 2010, 19:49

If your going to wack and stack Zombies with an edged weapon you gotta go Japanese,

Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Mister Freeze
custom title: 159.6

Post by Mister Freeze » 26 Jan 2010, 20:11

Hattori Hanso has good Japanese steel...

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 27 Jan 2010, 09:51

Well, I found the one I'd buy if I had unlimited funds:

Kanetsune - Mai

Unfortunately, I doubt I can gain support from my spouse to spend in excess of 1,000 bucks on a sword.

I can still drool.

Here is an ended auction on GunBroker for one of these. It has some nice up close photos.

Kanetsune Mai Auction

Mike

freelienr

Post by freelienr » 27 Jan 2010, 10:26

The katanas are pretty, but are designed very specific in their function. I still prefer something with more heft to it, like the machete or roman short sword, has more functionality in more situations and the extra weight gives you more momentum with each swing to really go through bone, wood, etc.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 27 Jan 2010, 12:03

If you cut correctly you do not need ANY momentum. I also have it's matching big brother.

This guy makes some very nice swords that wont break the bank,

http://www.bugei.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 27 Jan 2010, 14:23

I finally found it!

It's called a Swamp Rat Rodent Waki.

Here is the video I saw:

Swamp Rat Rodent Waki

Here is another that shows it close up.

Swamp Rat Rodent Waki Review

There is a 12 to 14 week waiting list. I am going to figure out the options I want and get one ordered. Here is a link that outlines the options and has some great pictures. And this one IS U.S. made.

Ordering Info

Mike

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 27 Jan 2010, 15:04

Any idea about the cost? I'd be interested in one of those!

Kerberos

Post by Kerberos » 30 Jan 2010, 18:37

Hey OP...
Check out Zombie Armory! They have some great stuff on there. It's a great site in general. Here's a link to their melee weapons section: http://www.zombiearmory.com/category/18 ... geons.aspx

Also, buy some Tactical Bacon while you're there :lmao:

http://www.zombiearmory.com/item/171584 ... .aspx?SR=1

freelienr

Post by freelienr » 10 Feb 2010, 20:58

thats a cool looking blade

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 10 Feb 2010, 21:54

f3rr37 wrote:Any idea about the cost? I'd be interested in one of those!
A related vid said the price for his blade was 380
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

toshikuga

Post by toshikuga » 11 Feb 2010, 08:46

After watching the Book of Eli, I realize that I don't really have a large fixed blade survival knife/sword/machete. I think I need one. I would prefer either an El Salvador or Bolo style machete or a straight blade katana/ninja style. It needs to be tough and practical without costing a fortune. Ideally, I'd like to spend under 400 bucks. I also want a U.S. made blade, although blades from places like Japan, Germany, and Switzerland would be OK too.
I already read that book. I would recommend a large machete because it's not too expensive.
Last edited by Llagoud on 23 Jan 2011, 06:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed url

Mister Freeze
custom title: 159.6

Post by Mister Freeze » 11 Feb 2010, 14:35

how's this for cheap and cool?

http://www.coldsteel.com/kukrimachetes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 11 Feb 2010, 15:30

For $30.00 , if the handle doesn't come off in your hand. You have a winner!

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 11 Feb 2010, 15:32

My ultimate "zombie killer" :cool:

Protected in the cab with a/c and stereo!!

freelienr

Post by freelienr » 11 Feb 2010, 21:12

Mister Freeze wrote:how's this for cheap and cool?

http://www.coldsteel.com/kukrimachetes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
it's wins my vote for the blade beauty pageant (because it's a girl i can actually afford to take home with me) :lmao:

Kerberos

Post by Kerberos » 12 Feb 2010, 05:57

What about a GG&G Battle Hawk Tactical Tomahawk... :D

http://www.botachtactical.com/gggbattlehawk.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last edited by Kerberos on 11 Mar 2010, 05:08, edited 4 times in total.
"...And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

- Thomas Jefferson

freelienr

Post by freelienr » 12 Feb 2010, 09:30

:lmao: tactical tomahawk too funny yet too cool! I bet it's a kick in the pants to throw.

maverick23jhp

Post by maverick23jhp » 10 Mar 2010, 17:43

The Swamp Rodent looks cool and the video is impressive, but..... if you go to their website, it appears to be a bit shady. Check out the "Contact Us", there is no physical address or phone number. They advise that if you do find a way to call you will be Banned for life. I am not saying that the Swamp Rodent is not a bad ass, but there is something going on. I just can see spending that much with a Company that I can not call. The website itself is very limited, no pics of the different options and they only take pre-orders, so until they have enough orders they don't go into production. They say that they do this to keep costs down, but the Swamp Rodent is around $400. What gives?

Now the Tactical Tomahawks...

GG&G
Wilson Combat
RMJ Forge Make awsome high end Tactical Tomahawks.

Now if you want to try a few different options, look at Cold Steel and SOG. I have a CS Kukri it cost about $90, all black, they have a high end model that cost around $300 but is too pretty for me. The SOG has my favorite little toy: Fusion Tactical Tomahawk MSRP $70.00 but you can do much better than that. I keep one in my truck and in my Duty bag. This thing goes thru trees, doors, walls, and windows. It is a great entry tool as well. I have popped locks and tires without incident. I even modified one to use on my Tact Entry Vest. During hunting season I carry a Sog Hawk along with a R.A.T. RC3 which I can handle any cutting job including dressing a deer. I can't see having a sword do all of that, plus after watching the video of the Swamp Rodent, those guys were swinging for the fences while chopping trees. Now the Swamp Rodent does have a high C.D.I. factor. To each their own.

freelienr

Post by freelienr » 10 Mar 2010, 17:55

would you be super cool and furnish us with pics of these awesome hawks? I have a little hatchet for hiking packs that i take with me, but nothing as awesome as that one above

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 10 Mar 2010, 18:32

freelienr

Post by freelienr » 10 Mar 2010, 19:54

everytime i come back to this thread, I can't help but think of "the Patriot" with Mel Gibson. Found a pic of that fusion hawk.. very cool. I can't deny the "cool" factor of the Battle hawk, but i think from a practical standpoint the Fusion or RMJ's Crash Axe are better suited.

The battle hawk, looks like it would focus alot of energy with its pointed face, but not really great for practical cutting, good for mash and smash and throwing i bet. Dangit guys.. now i got another "i want"

Valorius
Banned
custom title: 5.7 proponent

Post by Valorius » 27 Apr 2010, 13:11

ImageImageImage

JRShirley

Post by JRShirley » 13 Jun 2010, 04:21

Maverick,

Swamp Rat is affiliated with Busse, which has one of the very best reputations in the business*. In fact, in regards to toughness and quality, I would take a Busse before anything else. As far as cost goes, Busse has made a similar blade- it goes for over 2x as much. Swamp Rat, like many other manufacturers, maintains a presence on BladeForums.com. Questions posed there usually are answered the same day. *(Jerry Busse is also friendly and approachable, unlike the head of another company which makes products that Busse can hack apart. :D)

As far as general hard-use, size-efficient blades, I'm a big fan of Himalayan Imports. Listed prices for a kukri that, with minimal maintenance (oiling sometimes, and sharpening a few times a year) will outlast your children, run about $150. If you visit their forum on BladeForums, you can find a 15-17.5" OAL kukri that is a perfect tool/weapon on sale for $100, most weeks. :)

If you want a largish but light blade, the Spyderco Rock Salt might fit the bill. While not as large as a kukri, it has a beautifully balanced, rust-proof H-1 steel blade and a multiposition kydex sheath. I bought one from New Graham last week for just over $130, delivered. Sal Glesser of Spyderco is also a great guy.

Peace,

John

JRShirley

Post by JRShirley » 14 Jun 2010, 13:37

Vortec,

The Black Wind line were bargains. It's a shame they stopped making them.

Andy at http://www.fiddlebackforge.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; will soon be offering a line of 12-18" machetes, with micarta handles, for $100. In 16 and 18", these should be premier zombie choppers. :D

John

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 15 Jun 2010, 06:15

I actually received my Swamp Rat Waki a week or so ago. I still don't have a sheath for it. I will have to take a few pics and share them.

Mike

Llagoud

Post by Llagoud » 15 Jun 2010, 06:52

Nice, can't wait to see it!

I just sent one of my sugarcane knives to work with my brother.....he's cutting a slot into a 26" 'youth' axe handle for mounting it..... and grinding the end so it can be used to thrust.....if needed. :laugh:

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 20 Jul 2010, 20:53

Vortec MAX wrote:I actually received my Swamp Rat Waki a week or so ago. I still don't have a sheath for it. I will have to take a few pics and share them.

Mike
Any pics yet Mike?

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 20 Jul 2010, 22:01

I finally got a sheath. Two actually. I will have to snap some pics to share. I will get to it.

Mike

bobapunk
Gold Member
custom title: EA's range buddy

Post by bobapunk » 19 Jan 2011, 20:48

This:

Plus This:

Plus This:

Equals the blades of my Zombie Survival Kit.

Though after browsing this thread, I want a Katana!

toshikuga

Post by toshikuga » 23 Jan 2011, 05:18

Wow thanks for posting your pics. I know many of us waited for that pictures.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 24 Jan 2011, 05:45

I have one of these and it's bad ass.
كاف

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 24 Jan 2011, 15:20

jmz5 wrote:Image

Bad ass to infinity.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

SeaHawkDriver-B
Location: Embarked on 2 acres of floating Soverign US Territory

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 24 Jan 2011, 15:44

I've just got a standard-issue Marine KBAR, a Gerber Machete, and a RMJ Tactical Tomahawk. Took the tommy to Iraq, never got to use it, but sure felt good to have a swinging-weapon verses a stabbing weapon on your side.

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 24 Jan 2011, 16:19

Here are the specs, it's well worth the money, and is a total beast when it comes to hacking some firewood on a camping trip.

Specifications
Blade Steel 1095 Carbon Steel
Blade Length "10"
Blade Thickness ".250"
Overall "15.125"
Weight 1.90
Handle Material Kraton®
Blade Color Black Powder Coat
Sheath Color Leather Cordura®
Country of Origin USA
كاف

SeaHawkDriver-B

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 24 Jan 2011, 16:46

It slices and dices, but does it make Julianne fries?

Llagoud

Post by Llagoud » 24 Jan 2011, 16:49

I picked one of those up last time the J's were talking about it. Very nice. :thumb:

Here's the sugar cane knife on ax handle (still a work in progress) Need to grind the epoxy wrap and reapply, then sand the handle and start antiquing.

SeaHawkDriver-B

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 24 Jan 2011, 17:00

If actual zombie-ism breaks out, I'm heading to the local tractor supply and getting a Slashbuster... the thing they use to cut vegetation away from powerlines on the end of a backhoe .

jymmexy

Post by jymmexy » 03 Jan 2012, 21:24

What is the best zombie game I can play in my browser? I'm looking for a good zombie game on the internet. You know, the kind where you're trying to survive against hordes of zombies, and it just keeps getting harder and harder. Any suggestions?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 04 Jan 2012, 04:59

You won't find any here,

Try this forum it's more for gamers and airsoft guys

http://fnforum.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

JoJo

Post by JoJo » 04 Jan 2012, 08:44

jmz5 wrote:
Here are the specs, it's well worth the money, and is a total beast when it comes to hacking some firewood on a camping trip.

Specifications
Blade Steel 1095 Carbon Steel
Blade Length "10"
Blade Thickness ".250"
Overall "15.125"
Weight 1.90
Handle Material Kraton®
Blade Color Black Powder Coat
Sheath Color Leather Cordura®
Country of Origin USA
Where can I buy one?

Llagoud

Post by Llagoud » 04 Jan 2012, 08:55

it's the Ontario SP8 Spec Plus Machete/Survival Knife

Amazon, ebay or any of several dealers. :thumb:

http://www.ontario-knife-store.com/sp8- ... val-knife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 04 Jan 2012, 15:20

that SP8 looks pretty sweet! also not too bad on the wallet :)

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 05 Jan 2012, 07:33

It is a good knife, you can hack and chop darn near anything with it. I love mine, made in the USA and they sell for a good price.
كاف

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 05 Jan 2012, 07:47

You won't find any here,

Try this forum it's more for gamers and airsoft guys

http://fnforum.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH!! I just spit Mountain Dew across my desk dude...

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 05 Jan 2012, 09:14

Yeah. Kind of stung, but very appropos.
Panzer doesn't pull punches.

Vanguard

Post by Vanguard » 09 Mar 2012, 20:21

Ever think about a Kukri? the "Magnum" version from CS seems more fitted to your purpose look up specs if your not impressed.

Prepper
custom title: Sucker Punch

Post by Prepper » 10 Mar 2012, 08:33

It's called the "Crovel" as seen on Doomsday Preppers: http://www.crovelfoldingshovel.com/
Better to have a tank when you don't need it then to need a tank when you don't have it.

II Thessalonians 3:8-12

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 10 Mar 2012, 09:12

Prepper wrote:It's called the "Crovel" as seen on Doomsday Preppers: http://www.crovelfoldingshovel.com/
Ah yes, invented by the guy who just shot part of his thumb off.

Oops sorry, whose gun just shot part of his thumb off... :skep:

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 10 Mar 2012, 10:41

Prepper wrote:It's called the "Crovel" as seen on Doomsday Preppers: http://www.crovelfoldingshovel.com/

Crovel still rules plus they added a spike to it.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Const Advocate

Post by Const Advocate » 26 Jul 2013, 05:09

The Glock fixed blade knives are extremely well-made and durable. Plus, they go for around $30-40 and....it's a Glock.

bobapunk
Gold Member

Post by bobapunk » 26 Jul 2013, 06:03

Ka-Bar Kruki - Gerber Gator Jr - Kershaw Camp10

Kershaw Camp10. I just let it fall on this log with its own weight and it buried the blade deep enough to stand on its own.

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 26 Jul 2013, 07:10

That Ka-Bar looks pretty wicked.

Mike

bobapunk
Gold Member

Post by bobapunk » 26 Jul 2013, 08:31

Vortec MAX wrote:That Ka-Bar looks pretty wicked.

Mike
It is nice. Only a 10" blade though. Makes it good for backpacking, but might be a bit short for zombie slaying. Luckly, Kershaw is coming out with longer versions sometime this year.

That is the Camp10, Camp14, and Camp18.

Camp18, coming soon

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 26 Jul 2013, 11:28

Const Advocate wrote:The Glock fixed blade knives are extremely well-made and durable. Plus, they go for around $30-40 and....it's a Glock.
If there was ever a reason NOT to buy a knife :p

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 27 Jul 2013, 11:05

LOL!! Where's the 'like' button for a post?! hehehe

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member
custom title: FNP-45 Cylon

Post by jgreenberg01 » 28 Jul 2013, 05:46

But it always goes stab when you need it to go stab.
0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 28 Jul 2013, 09:48

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

CDeel
custom title: Wannabe Mall Ninja

Post by CDeel » 11 Aug 2013, 15:54

That Camp18 looks insane.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 24 Feb 2020, 20:38