Range report on XCR and Sig-556

Talk about your favorite longguns here.
SSBiggun

Range report on XCR and Sig-556

Post by SSBiggun » 19 Jun 2009, 07:41

I went to the range yesterday and fired the new Robinson XCR and the Sig -556.
Ammo: PMC 55 gr ,Fed XM-193,and WW-Q3131.
100 yrds
First the Sig. awesome smooth ,almost no felt recoil ejection was aggressive with cases landing 15-20 feet away but both foreward and back in a 90 degree fan shape. best group was with the XM-193 @ 2.5". PMC came in second @ 3". My verision is the original model but I replaced the fishgill handgaurds with a set of classic's. I'm going to upgrade the sights with the dioper style SOON. The Sig holo sight seemed a little cheesey but worked as needed. I didn't put any other optic's on and am 100% positive group size would shrink with a quality scope like a XTR burris or Trijicon TR-21.

XCR,
After dialing the gas setting down from 4 to 2 the felt recoil decreased but was still more than an AR or the Sig. For some reason the Win Q-3131 shot the best with this one and I actually had a 1.5" 3 shot group with Irons. Ejection was more AR like with cases going foreward and to the right 5-7 feet. Further on the higher gas setting. Most groups hovered around the 3.5" range and the MI folding sights are not optimal but should be considered as they were designed as Back up sights. Again this rifle would benifit from a better optic than my Aimpoint. Using P-Mags , C-Products 30's and D&H I expiranced 0 malfunctions in 300 rds through both rifles and would consider both to be exceptional alternitaves to an AR. The ergonomics on the XCR are superior to the Sig with its left side charging handle ,ambi bolt catch,and short throw selector lever.
The trigger on the Sig was the better trigger though.
Last edited by SSBiggun on 22 Jun 2009, 10:35, edited 1 time in total.

toyslr

Re: Range report on XCR and STG-556

Post by toyslr » 19 Jun 2009, 08:37

Very nice weapons, I see a Sig on the horizon

Tomac

Post by Tomac » 21 Jun 2009, 03:08

Oh, it's a *SIG*-556. I was expecting an STG-556:
;)
Tomac

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 21 Jun 2009, 12:44

The Sig looks nice - almost want one now :D
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

SSBiggun

Post by SSBiggun » 22 Jun 2009, 10:34

Tomac wrote:Oh, it's a *SIG*-556. I was expecting an STG-556:
;)
Tomac
DOH , Serious typo missclassification . I was thinking about the Swiss term for infantry rifle and not the actual designation

apache

Re: Range report on XCR and Sig-556

Post by apache » 22 Jun 2009, 18:31

Nice report and weapons... I have been wanting one of the sig-556 "pistols" anyone ever shot one?
But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever.
John Adams, July 17, 1775

Nightrunner

Post by Nightrunner » 23 Jun 2009, 09:19

You need to shoot shoot heavier ammo in that 1/7 bbl if you want to see what the 556 can really do.

Both of mine will shoot 1 moa or less with 69 gr Hornady ammo.

Although I shoot m-855 regularly and get 1.25- 1.50 with it @ 100 yrds.

Casper

Post by Casper » 29 Jun 2009, 18:11

SSBiggun wrote:I went to the range yesterday and fired the new Robinson XCR and the Sig -556.
100 yrds
First the Sig. awesome smooth ,almost no felt recoil ejection was aggressive with cases landing 15-20 feet away but both foreward and back in a 90 degree fan shape. best group was with the XM-193 @ 2.5". PMC came in second @ 3". My verision is the original model but I replaced the fishgill handgaurds with a set of classic's. I'm going to upgrade the sights with the dioper style SOON. The Sig holo sight seemed a little cheesey but worked as needed. I didn't put any other optic's on and am 100% positive group size would shrink with a quality scope like a XTR burris or Trijicon TR-21.

XCR,
After dialing the gas setting down from 4 to 2 the felt recoil decreased but was still more than an AR or the Sig. For some reason the Win Q-3131 shot the best with this one and I actually had a 1.5" 3 shot group with Irons. Ejection was more AR like with cases going foreward and to the right 5-7 feet. Further on the higher gas setting. Most groups hovered around the 3.5" range and the MI folding sights are not optimal but should be considered as they were designed as Back up sights. Again this rifle would benifit from a better optic than my Aimpoint. Using P-Mags , C-Products 30's and D&H I expiranced 0 malfunctions in 300 rds through both rifles and would consider both to be exceptional alternitaves to an AR. The ergonomics on the XCR are superior to the Sig with its left side charging handle ,ambi bolt catch,and short throw selector lever.
That's the exact 556 I want... I'm jealous! Any ideas on a good place to find one "In Stock" at a reasonable price?? Thanks, Nice Sig!

tombirdman

Post by tombirdman » 06 Feb 2010, 15:45

SSBiggun wrote:I went to the range yesterday and fired the new Robinson XCR and the Sig -556.
100 yrds

XCR,

I would change out for a Magpul xtr or whatever they call it butt stock. They lock up tight. I like the butt stock on the Robinsonson. I have a SIG556 SWAT with a EO Tech and a 3x magnifier, flip to side, behind it and am very happy with it.

SSBiggun

Post by SSBiggun » 06 Feb 2010, 19:29

I ended up putting a Mag-Pul UBR on the Sig and an Aimpoint M-3 2 moa along with the diopter style sights. I will try to get a pic up in the next couple days