My Mauser K98

Talk about your favorite longguns here.
Amsdorf
custom title: VDMA

My Mauser K98

Post by Amsdorf » 24 Dec 2013, 05:23

Good morning all, I finally got around to shooting a video of my K98. Here it is. I also this morning looked more carefully at it and found more proof marks and numbers here and there. I'm a little disappointed that I could not capture the swastikas on video, but after examining it very closely with a magnifying glass, the swastikas are definitely intact, not peened out.

I've *not* disassembled it so can't show you more detail on what the wood may be hiding. Wow, the Germans were nuts for details...numbers and symbols, some extremely tiny, stamped everywhere.

This particular rifle was manufactured in 1940 at an actual Mauser plant, specifically: Mauser-Werke AG, Werk Berlin-Borsigwalde, Eichborndamm, Germany.

The butt plate has the marking bpr 40 WaA497 and at the bottom of the butt plate 5171 b

I'd be particularly interested to know what the butt plate markings mean.

Here's the video:

I welcome any of your thoughts on the "pedigree" of this specimen:

Good morning all, I finally got around to shooting a video of my K98. Here it is. I also this morning looked more carefully at it and found more proof marks and numbers here and there. I'm a little disappointed that I could not capture the swastikas on video, but after examining it very closely with a magnifying glass, the swastikas are definitely intact, not peened out.

I've *not* disassembled it so can't show you more detail on what the wood may be hiding. Wow, the Germans were nuts for details...numbers and symbols, some extremely tiny, stamped everywhere.

This particular rifle was manufactured in 1940 at an actual Mauser plant, specifically: Mauser-Werke AG, Werk Berlin-Borsigwalde, Eichborndamm, Germany.

The butt plate has the marking bpr 40 WaA497 and at the bottom of the butt plate 5171 b

I'd be particularly interested to know what the butt plate markings mean.

Here's the video:

I welcome any of your thoughts on the "pedigree" of this specimen:

http://youtu.be/MyPhZ_tX_Bw

[video=youtube_share;MyPhZ_tX_Bw]http://youtu.be/MyPhZ_tX_Bw[/video]