AR15 guys

Talk about your favorite longguns here.
srt-4_jon

AR15 guys

Post by srt-4_jon » 16 Feb 2011, 23:11

I got an email from Botachtactical.com about a 25% off Magpul sale good through the end of today (17th). I ordered a UBR stock, (5) 20rd pmags, MOE grip, Enhanced trigger guard, and Hogue handall for the same price as the UBR stock when it isnt on sale.
Last edited by srt-4_jon on 16 Feb 2011, 23:40, edited 1 time in total.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Re: AR15 guys

Post by panzermk2 » 16 Feb 2011, 23:38

AH you said you got, as in you ordered AND you have received them? OR you ordered them and you are waiting on them,?
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 16 Feb 2011, 23:41

clarified op.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 16 Feb 2011, 23:48

Why did this post just pop up for me?

Too late :(

... it's ok.. I don't usually buy Magpul.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 16 Feb 2011, 23:53

look at the date again. It ends in 23 hours

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 17 Feb 2011, 00:04

oops. Welcome to blue's midnight world.

:)

Thanks, Jon!
Shoot more, worry less.

Zhurdan

Post by Zhurdan » 17 Feb 2011, 07:02

Good luck with Botachtactical.com. They've been hit and miss over the years with their service. Nice enough people, I think they're just a little too big for their britches.

murphies_finest
custom title: King Thread Killer.

Post by murphies_finest » 17 Feb 2011, 07:43

I am quite happy with my stock M&P15 with the eotech attached on top. thank you for your help

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 17 Feb 2011, 12:28

Zhurdan wrote:Good luck with Botachtactical.com. They've been hit and miss over the years with their service. Nice enough people, I think they're just a little too big for their britches.
Yeah, I had read that before. I have placed 2 different orders totalling only $500 and they came in quick and with 0 problems.

Zhurdan

Post by Zhurdan » 17 Feb 2011, 13:14

I've ordered from them about 6 times. the first 3 went off without a hitch. The last three on the other hand... well, lets just say I should have learned after the first two. Still got everything I ordered, but there were delays (8 weeks for an "in stock" item) and returns of wrong products shipped. Still, they have decent sales from time to time if you don't mind waiting for your stuff.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 17 Feb 2011, 13:40

A wait it worth it to me for a $180 ubr stock. Damn NFA items force me to be patient

drinksabit

Post by drinksabit » 18 Feb 2011, 12:02

:ponder: Hope this is the place to ask AR questions. I am really ignorant about AR's, but would like to eventually learn enough to buy, assemble, and use one.

First question: Is a lower machined form a solid billet of aluminum, in general, better quality than a forged lower? I guess the key words are "in general". I do hope the question lends itself to factual rather than opinion based answers. I am hoping the consensus opinion of forged being just as good or better. I am liking Bravo Company Mfg. parts and pieces.

Thank you for any helpful response you might make.

{I endorse the supremacy of the 2nd Amendment over the NFA,... like that makes a difference} :thumb:
"The OBAMA motto:
We've got what it takes, to take what you've got!

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 18 Feb 2011, 23:30

Sorry, but no one that knows anything about custom ARs will tell you that forged is even close to as good as billet. I wish it were true, my wallet would be heavier.

There is no debating that a matched billet lower with a billet upper will shoot tighter than forged. My SI-Defense shoots in the fives at 100 yards (.5-.6 MOA). Their forged version still shoots under MOA, but only just. The AR experts to a man will tell you to go the billet way. If you just go the lower route and do forged for the upper, and don't fit them, like a matched pair, you won't gain anything. If you do, it won't be as ideal as a billet. It will be heavier, not as trued as if you went with the whole matched pair of billet receivers.

Also, billet is way lighter. Something that matters with ARs and accessories.

Forged is simply not as good at all. In no way at all. It is heavier, not as sturdy, and made to a lower standard. You can't compare them to Custom Billet ARs. I own both variations, standard manufactured and custom manufactured (RRA, DPMS, used to own a Bushmaster, used to own a SI-Defense Forged, own a Billet version of theirs). For the money, I see no reason to own a custom forged AR at all. None whatsoever. Buy a RRA or DPMS for less and you will have a better value gun. If you want something that is special, pay for the billet.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 19 Feb 2011, 06:18

I agree 100% with the above. I love my RRA and have put several thousand rounds through it and I can put wholes through dimes at 100 yards with iron sites.

drinksabit

Post by drinksabit » 19 Feb 2011, 10:31

So it is full circle then. I started out looking at Rock River, and now you say that is where i should have stayed looking.

Thank you so much for the advice with some explaination behind it. I'll be sure to post my next question here when I have a next question that I can't seem to answer myself.

Thanks again.
"The OBAMA motto:
We've got what it takes, to take what you've got!

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 19 Feb 2011, 12:55

Yes, RRA is good, not great, nor ideal, but probably the best value out there. But just so you know, that is a forged firearm it won't shoot with the custom billets. You may be able to hit dimes at a hundred occassionally, but you won't group in a dime at a 100. Sorry, not possible. Some guys I know with heavy barrels can shoot in the 7s with them, one I know that shoots in the high 6s consistently, but they are Honus Wagner rare. The SR-25 struggles to shoot in the 3s, and that is about as good as it gets semi-auto, oh and it is a custom billeted AR platform.

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 19 Feb 2011, 15:36

no, the RRA will not group every round in a dime, not even close. but for the money, i find it one of the best choices for an ar. this gun is far more accurate than i have the ability to make it, but even i can make it rather accurate.

old pictures

100 yards standing IIRC, pretty decent i think, not the greatest, but all nailed their mark with a few off by a few inches.

100 yards seated with sand bags quick 3 shot group, pretty pissed i had 1 flyer :(

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 19 Feb 2011, 15:53

yeah, they are great setups. I just didn't want the guy to get one and expect it to shoot that way is all. I was just clarifying. If I were buying a stock, non-piston AR, I would go with RRA hands down. My second choice would be DPMS.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 23 Feb 2011, 14:41

Fyi, I got my stock in today along with an email that said the sale is still good. I don't know how much longer though

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 23 Feb 2011, 15:13

that was pretty quick for a company that has so many iffy reviews :)...that is a pretty sweet looking stock btw.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 23 Feb 2011, 15:31

This is my third good purchase from them and I have another pending

smpsmp

Post by smpsmp » 25 Mar 2011, 23:36

I have yet to make my bushmaster a gas piston, and when I bought it it was stock (with the removable handle). But it's too tempting just to leave it stock, so since it has gotten a new barrel, new free floated fore end, new stock, new almost everything. Accuracy and looks jumped up, but overall I never had any problems with mine from the day I bought it till now. But I do want to do a build, a colt upper, and larue lower. I have heard good things about the m&p 15 lately. And I was kinda kicking myself, cause I bought mine in may of 2008 (I think that's when it was, I remember I paid $1037 after tax and background check) and a gun shop near me was selling the m&p bought a 15 months later for $800. O well that was 15 months extra I had the toy for.

Prepper
custom title: Sucker Punch

Post by Prepper » 23 Apr 2011, 20:54

I am considering getting either a S&W M&P AR15 or a Bushmaster Ultralight - both around 6 Pounds (I'm a short dude).

Since I already have a PS-90 with EA ammo, do I really need an AR15. I know they have a greater effective range then the PS-90.

I am just trying to justify my "want" into a "need".

Thanks.
Better to have a tank when you don't need it then to need a tank when you don't have it.

II Thessalonians 3:8-12

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 24 Apr 2011, 01:06

Yes. Everyone needs an AR15 and a glock, because of universality. I do not necessarily like either platform, but I believe they are important bases for training. You never know when you will have to pick up a buddy's gun to defend yourself. Crosstrain, always.

If you get an AR, get the M&P and avoid the Bushmaster.
Shoot more, worry less.

Prepper
custom title: Sucker Punch

Post by Prepper » 24 Apr 2011, 06:39

I am familiar with the M&P, having shot one several times. But, should I buy one? Does the 223 bring anything new to the table. I also have a 30-30 and 7mm. The only thing I can think of is long distance and magazine capacity.
Better to have a tank when you don't need it then to need a tank when you don't have it.

II Thessalonians 3:8-12

Robar

Post by Robar » 24 Apr 2011, 07:00

Prepper wrote:I am considering getting either a S&W M&P AR15 or a Bushmaster Ultralight - both around 6 Pounds (I'm a short dude).

Since I already have a PS-90 with EA ammo, do I really need an AR15. I know they have a greater effective range then the PS-90.

I am just trying to justify my "want" into a "need".

Thanks.
Not sure what your budget is or if the 6# weight is a big seller, but I would highly recommend Rock River Arms. They are having a sale on their Operator II series and with everything you get it is well worth $1000. Rock River is a small company, but builds quality equipment that you can stake your life on. I do every day.
Check them out:
rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=461

Prepper wrote:I am familiar with the M&P, having shot one several times. But, should I buy one? Does the 223 bring anything new to the table. I also have a 30-30 and 7mm. The only thing I can think of is long distance and magazine capacity.
If you want range and mag capacity try a 308. Something like a FNAR, M1A, or AR10.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 29 Apr 2011, 06:25

Not being an AR guy myself, really, I have a guy wanting to trade me an Olympic Arms with some el cheapo-depot accessories. The only thing we know about this rifle is that he bought it used as an ex-LEO weapon and that it supposedly shoots true.

Opinions? Thoughts? I've never handled an Olympic. Shot 5.56/223 before on many different platforms, but usually select fire and with names like Colt. I haven't actually laid eyes on this weapon yet, so what should I look for, or should I tell him to avoid the 3 hour drive?
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 29 Apr 2011, 06:34

Ultralight forged ARs will shoot like crap compared to other forged ARs. Accuracy is largely determined by barrel, but after that, with ARs it is about reliability and the lighter weight ARs are not that reliable. Bushmasters I am not a fan of at all. Just had way too many issues with cracked recievers, and melted gas tubes. If you buy factory, RRA or DPMS.

If you want an accurate and tougher, lighter weight AR, there is but one choice: A full billet custom AR. They will cost ya. SI-Defense is my favorite company. The will build one in any caliber of your choice. 5.56 is a good round. If you want something more versitile, I would go with 6.5 Grendal.

I prefer the AR-15 design to the AR-10, but you could go the 10 round and get a 308 too. For range and flatter shooting get one chambered in 7mm-08 or 243. It can be done.

Olympic Arms is decent. Not as well built as a RRA or DPMS in my opinion. I would put them on the level of Stag arms.

ARs can be classified in three main lines:

Factory Forged
Custom Forged
Custom Full Billet

I personally think Custom Forged is a wast of money, considering for 2-300 more you can have a custom full billet.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 29 Apr 2011, 06:40

Thanks for the input Irish.
I'm taking it that Olympic is a decent, middle of the road type weapon.
Then I may consider going through with this trade. I can yank the crap accessories and build this puppy up the way I want it.
From the pictures, it looks like it may have the 20" barrel, though its hard to tell from a cell phone. If it's worth messing with, I may convert it to 16" and put the quad rail fore end on it to give it more of an M4 look.
With all of the available 'stuff' out there for AR's, the sky truly is the limit.

Zhurdan

Post by Zhurdan » 29 Apr 2011, 06:44

Cyberfly,
What are you going to be into this trade if you don't mind me asking?

If it's over $600-700, I'd strongly consider not doing the trade for a an Oly as you'll probably spend a lot bringing it up to a more robust rifle. BCM makes some really great rifles for a decent price and there's nothing that needs be done to them to make them one of the better rifles on the market. Unless of course you just wanna drop some money, then I'd suggest a Noveske. My Noveske currently has about 8000 rounds thru it and is still going strong.

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 29 Apr 2011, 07:59

A few buddies of mine have the Olympic arms as their issue AR and well, I'm not that impressed by them. That being said I also have not had a single issue nor have they with them. I just like my RRA a lot more. Just depends what the trade is.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 29 Apr 2011, 08:02

I'm trading my Bowflex Revolution.
I need to get it out of my loft. My older boys are in the Air Force now and I'm not going to use it. The girls aren't going to use it. It's collecting dust.
I put it on Craigslist for $1,000 thinking it would sell fast and had this butthead that had me mark it as sold and he was gonna come get it. So, like a dumb-bunny, I pulled the ad for a MONTH and he had excuse after excuse after excuse. Eventually I put it back up but by then, most people had blown through their tax refunds.
The first ad I had put 'or trade for an AR-type rifle of equal value'. The second ad, I removed that as my lawnmower had died and I really need to replace it. But, this guy had seen the first ad and his dad is willing to part with one of his. This one.
I know it's not worth anywhere near a grand, but I was trying to figure out if its worth even considering trading for.
I really just want a black rifle that I can have for a SHTF situation as previous bad times cleaned out pretty much everything. I just hate to 'give away' a really good Bowflex that I paid a TON for...for a crappy worn out rifle.
Meh.
Dunno what I'm gonna do.

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 29 Apr 2011, 08:15

I have no clue the true value of a bowflex, but if it is a grand, then this deal is not in your favor at all. But of course gaining some space in your home and getting something you want helps out. But I would not do that trade, try maybe negotiating down to say 800 and then buy yourself a better AR.

Zhurdan

Post by Zhurdan » 29 Apr 2011, 08:27

I wouldn't trade a $1000 machine for at best (used) a $450-500 rifle. If the accessories are all cheap crap, you'll end up replacing them anyways. I'd try and sell the machine and go with BCM if it were my money.

If you do go thru with the trade, I'd imagine the following expenditures.

New MP tested Bolt and carrier................$140~
New buffer tube (mil) and stock...............$95~
Optics (H1).........................................$475~
Decent foregrip (assuming you want one)...$60~
Total...................................................$770~ on top of your trade.

I'm pretty sure that the bolt and bolt carriers are not MP tested. If it's just gonna be a plinker, probably not an issue, but if it's gonna be a rifle you need to count on, it's probably worth the upgrade. Depending on the stock that's on it, it may or may not be replaced. Optics are a personal choice, if you're an irons guy, no worries.

Anyways, given that, you can almost buy a new BMC rifle with all the proper testing in place, a proven track record from guys that shoot 1000's of rounds thru them a year for nearly what you'd put into revamping the Oly. This also doesn't even take into account replacing the LPK ($50-80).

I've shot a few BCM rifles and they're put together well, on par with my Noveske except the finish, but hell, the finish on my Noveske is getting beat to hell with all the training and practice I've been doing anyways.

Good luck!

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 29 Apr 2011, 08:40

I wouldn't agree with a BCM being on par with a Noveske, and I really am not a fan of the Noveske either. It is a great rifle, don't get me wrong, but not for the price.

The BCMs I have heard good things about, but I really haven't seen what they have over a RRA or DPMS. Semi-custom or Custom forged just isn't worth the extra money at all imo. As far as 'MP testing' goes, RRA and DPMS and anyother standard AR company does more than enough catastrophic failure testing for the average owner. 'MP testing' is a marketing gimick for BCM to sell rifles with.

As far as the Oly goes, it sounds like you have around a $750 rifle. That is the trade value. The accessories aren't worth anything. If I were you I would ask to leave out the accessories and have him pay you the rifle and $150 for the bowflex. The problem you have is that resale for guns will always be more than resale for gym equipment. Taking a value of $900 seems reasonable.

Zhurdan

Post by Zhurdan » 29 Apr 2011, 09:29

flyingirish04 wrote:I wouldn't agree with a BCM being on par with a Noveske, and I really am not a fan of the Noveske either. It is a great rifle, don't get me wrong, but not for the price.
Having shot them, I'd say that the fit of the rifle, assembly and attention to detail were on par with my Noveske. The BCM chewed through wolf, pmc, remington, Sellier, some cheap crap I'd never heard of as did my Noveske. The four other rifles we shot that day didn't fair so well, and this was only over about 150 rounds per rifle (one mag of each ammo). Those rifles were Bushmasters, a DPMS, an Oly, and a Spikes utilizing the same magazines with the same ammo for each rifle. They all had problems of various types. Not an exhaustive test to be sure, but indicative of the BCM's and Noveske's ability to run whatever you put in it.
The BCMs I have heard good things about, but I really haven't seen what they have over a RRA or DPMS. Semi-custom or Custom forged just isn't worth the extra money at all imo. As far as 'MP testing' goes, RRA and DPMS and anyother standard AR company does more than enough catastrophic failure testing for the average owner. 'MP testing' is a marketing gimick for BCM to sell rifles with.
Many things are marketing gimmicks in the gun industry, but having owned a Bushmaster and watching it choke like a joke after about 5k total rounds, well, I'll buy the hype and get an INDIVIDUALLY MP tested one over a batch tested one. And I'll totally agree that it's fine for the average shooter

Keep in mind, these are my personal experiences... a sample of one (or 5 if your counting the guns we tried this with). Not trying to discount anyone else's first hand knowledge, just providing insight.

Also, not sure if they've corrected this, but a gal I shoot with a bunch had a DPMS and it wouldn't cycle certain types of ammo. She had to have the chamber reamed to spec before it'd run like a raped ape and they'd done the same for several other DPMS rifles. I had no reason to follow up with their newer rifles as I don't and most likely won't own one in the future. Rock River does seem to build a good rifle, but I've not seen one any cheaper than a BCM as of late (in stock and available for shipping that is).

Keep in mind as well, I'm a bit different than the average gun owner. My guns get shot... a lot. Just ask my wife what she did to me when I summed up the total ammo purchases I've made over the last four years. My neck still kinda hurts and I'm not sure I'll ever hear the same out of my left ear. If someone wants a plinker or a weekend shooter, most AR's will do just fine, but I've watched my fair share of rifles choke and break when pushed hard.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 29 Apr 2011, 10:20

I will put it simply, I have owned many ARs, in fact it was about the only things I owned outside of a shotgun and pistol since I was 18. I have never once had an issue with a DPMS or RRA, ever. As far as price, I have seen RRAs for less than BCMs. But I will confess I only know of a few places to get BCMs. So maybe you have seen them less than I have. Eitherway, I would agree they are on par with a DPMS and RRA. I don't hold them to the level Noveske as far as reliability, workmanship, accuracy, etc. I would put Noveske in that custom forged category. A step above.

My guns get shot too. Especially my ARs.

My SI-Defense full-billet rifle I had built last year already has 3K through it. I know because I have gone through three sealed M855 cans with it. That doesn't include some fo the handloads I have put through it either.

Eitherway, BCM, DPMS, RRA, even Olympia, you are getting decent ARs. Keep them clean and maintained, and they will all work well. I even think Bushmaster these days has gotten better. Never had any experience with S&Ws, so I can't comment on them other than they are a factory forged reciever.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 29 Apr 2011, 10:23

I can't say what the true 'market value' of the Bowflex is, but the others I saw listed ranged between $3K and $1,600. I listed mine at a grand to make a quick sale and to undercut everybody else. Plus, they are listed in the OKC Craigslist and I live about 2 hours out of OKC, so I factored in the PIA factor of driving.
Still, there's taking THAT loss, and then adding in THIS loss as well.
I may as well keep the thing and actually use it myself if this is the case.
Maybe I should relist it as 'OR trade for a good used riding lawnmower...'? LOL!

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 29 Apr 2011, 10:49

I can see that. I just know that Bowflex's are being sold used at a lot of those second hand fitness stores, with a store warranty for aroun $1000. That is here in Fargo though. All I was basing my opinion on.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 29 Apr 2011, 10:54

Ah.
I was just going by what was on CL at the time.
Are those the Bowflex classics or the Revolutions? Seems like the bows will get worn out over time and people dump them. With the Revolution you can replace the 'weight' or add to it if you ever get the machine maxxed out.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 29 Apr 2011, 11:06

Honestly I don't know off hand. I was just browsing the shop for a used eliptical and noticed several bowflex's there. Not sure what model.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 29 Apr 2011, 11:30

Oh well.
Six of one or half dozen of the other.
I know what its worth to me.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 29 Apr 2011, 13:12

Fly,

STAY THE SNOBBY CHINS AWAY FROM THIS OFFER. The Olympic arms isn't worth more than $450, at most.

I think Irish is on the money with RRA. BCM is also a decent choice, but overpriced a little bit.

STAY AWAY FROM:

Olympic Arms
Delton
Bushmaster (especially)
Stag

Like Irish says, there are people who shoot AR's, then there are people that SHOOT their ARs.

Out of any one on the forum I promise you I have seen the most AR builds and brands firsthand firing (and failing). I've RO'd hundreds of competitors at carbine matches, multigun matches, etc. that shoot custom billet ARs to Bushwackers. This has allowed me to gain firsthand data points and analyze the failures of different builds and brands. The last carbine and rifle match I was at was a national match with over 300 competitors. Surprisingly, I saw many failures in ARs. I was honestly shocked. But it was very beneficial to note the builds that failed and the problems they had in the sandy environment. Other builds had 0 issues (like mine. Sand all over till the rifle had a brownish-red tint, but 0 issues with bolt movement and locking and chambering).

As someone above stated, many times the mfg. claims to be solid and their chambers turn out to be out of spec. Have to be reamed. Have to be completely redone etc. Bushmaster is one of these guilty party's. They are full of it. I don't know if they have improved their shady practices, but the old ones are horrible. Cut corners.

I've also seen custom AR's that were so tight in fit that they completely failed in windy, sandy environments.

Just like the whole stupid ideology of "look at my SUPER TIGHT FIT 1911!!! FIT AND FINISH IS SUPERB"

Everytime I hear someone say that I laugh inside because I know and have seen tightly fit guns like their 1911's and STI's fail when a few grains of unburnt powder or sand get into them. They keep them in their precious hardcases and never use them in hard environments so they think their money spent translates into an excellent firearm.

Same with the custom ARs that are too tight on tolerances in the moving parts. But you don't have to worry about that if you're buying factory brands like RRA etc. that actually do real torture testing on their platforms.

Avoid this deal. Many people sell their AR's frequently. Wait for another deal.

Also, stay away from "other material" builds like Plumcrazy's polymer receivers and the "super light" stuff. BAAAD
Shoot more, worry less.

Robar

Post by Robar » 29 Apr 2011, 13:32

blueorison wrote:Fly,

STAY THE SNOBBY CHINS AWAY FROM THIS OFFER. The Olympic arms isn't worth more than $450, at most.

I think Irish is on the money with RRA. BCM is also a decent choice, but overpriced a little bit.

STAY AWAY FROM:

Olympic Arms
Delton
Bushmaster (especially)
Stag

Like Irish says, there are people who shoot AR's, then there are people that SHOOT their ARs.

Out of any one on the forum I promise you I have seen the most AR builds and brands firsthand firing (and failing). I've RO'd hundreds of competitors at carbine matches, multigun matches, etc. that shoot custom billet ARs to Bushwackers. This has allowed me to gain firsthand data points and analyze the failures of different builds and brands. The last carbine and rifle match I was at was a national match with over 300 competitors. Surprisingly, I saw many failures in ARs. I was honestly shocked. But it was very beneficial to note the builds that failed and the problems they had in the sandy environment. Other builds had 0 issues (like mine. Sand all over till the rifle had a brownish-red tint, but 0 issues with bolt movement and locking and chambering).

As someone above stated, many times the mfg. claims to be solid and their chambers turn out to be out of spec. Have to be reamed. Have to be completely redone etc. Bushmaster is one of these guilty party's. They are full of it. I don't know if they have improved their shady practices, but the old ones are horrible. Cut corners.

I've also seen custom AR's that were so tight in fit that they completely failed in windy, sandy environments.

Just like the whole stupid ideology of "look at my SUPER TIGHT FIT 1911!!! FIT AND FINISH IS SUPERB"

Everytime I hear someone say that I laugh inside because I know and have seen tightly fit guns like their 1911's and STI's fail when a few grains of unburnt powder or sand get into them. They keep them in their precious hardcases and never use them in hard environments so they think their money spent translates into an excellent firearm.

Same with the custom ARs that are too tight on tolerances in the moving parts. But you don't have to worry about that if you're buying factory brands like RRA etc. that actually do real torture testing on their platforms.

Avoid this deal. Many people sell their AR's frequently. Wait for another deal.

Also, stay away from "other material" builds like Plumcrazy's polymer receivers and the "super light" stuff. BAAAD
:agree:

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 29 Apr 2011, 14:41

i thought stag was a good brand? my uncle (i call him uncle one-up) bought a stag not even 2 weeks after i bought my RRA and he was all "stag is the only way to go...blah blah blah....mine is soooo much better than yours...blah blah blah". but seems to be after reading this thread as well as a few more that he can shove it! lol

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 29 Apr 2011, 15:25

What many people don't realize is that there is a very solid line on which most if not all firearms operate.

This is the line of failure.

People think that because their firearm has been through ____,000 rounds, that it means that it is a great firearm.

As I always phrase; correlation =/= causation.

Just because your firearm has been through that many rounds, it does not mean it is built with quality and correctly. Usually, thousands of rounds will be a good indicator. However, it could also be that your firearm has been riding the line of failure the entire time without crossing it, and all that is holding the function of the firearm together is a pin that is slowly wearing down and about to break.

Let me give you a perfect example. The one "tacti" buddy that I have (I cannot stand more than this one) had a Stag for 2 years. I can attest that this guy shoots his carbine all the time. And I mean, ALL THE TIME. He was one of those "carbine" guys. But I won't get into that mentality. I've since brought him over to the correct philosophies regarding shooting practically (< key word).

It took much too much pain and sweat to do so, and I will never try this insurmountable task again. Those of you who have friends with this mentality, just give up. It really isn't worth the pain.

Moving onwards; after thousands of rounds through his Stag upper, it kept working fine. In fact, I took him past the 100 yard line (imagine that! What incredible distance for a carbine guy! We pistol shooters shoot past 100 yds with our pistols.). Past 100 yards he was hitting the paper, a 8inch target, with his EOtech.

Good shooting.

Then, while the gun still functioned seemingly "perfectly" fine, and with ALL the reason to think that this carbine was a great quality upper from Stag, he brought it into the shop for maintenance and they found out that his barrel nut was completely loose.

If you're familiar with ARs, you know what this could have meant.

This was his and my firsthand experience with Stag. I hope that sheds some light. I've also had firsthand experiences with other less-than-acceptable company receivers such as Plumcrazy...etc...
Shoot more, worry less.

ChuckD
custom title: Tactical Tier2 Ninja

Post by ChuckD » 29 Apr 2011, 20:13

Sorry Jon, I agree there are some manufactures out there to stay away from, but I don't really see how you're calling BCM overpriced.
Just my honest opinion.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 29 Apr 2011, 21:12

I said a little overpriced. As in, their uppers would cost about $100 less if you'd built it yourself.
Shoot more, worry less.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 29 Apr 2011, 21:25

Blue,

That is definitely true about custom ARs, especially custom forged receivers being to tight and not operating in less than ideal conditions. That is what I love about SI-Defense. They have completely tested their gear and stand behind it working no matter the condition. You get what you pay for with them.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 29 Apr 2011, 21:30

Irish,

will keep that recommendation in mind. One prototype billet AR I've had good experiences with is made by Mega. I did not have the chance to fire it for more than 6 hours in a dusty environment.
Shoot more, worry less.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 30 Apr 2011, 09:57

Get an FAL.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 30 Apr 2011, 10:45

Well, the kid kept after me and finally asked how much 'ta boot' I'd need to work this deal. I finally told him the least I could take would be $400, based entirely on forum member input. That was too rich for his blood so I was able to avoid the bullet so to speak.
Who knows? Maybe I'll just keep the Bowflex and start using it. Burn off some of this winter coat...from about five winters ago...hehehe

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 01 May 2011, 07:57

Might not be a bad idea. I know I can use my workout equipment more as well. I haven't worked out very constant since I got out of the service. It shows. My 'winter coat' is 30 pounds heavier than it was back then. :D

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 10 Jan 2014, 20:15

I "blinged" my AR. Nickle plating on the BCG, ~1/2 the bolt, & the trigger mechanism.
I wanted the BCG plated for cleaning reasons. I go through so much solvent & rags trying to clean that thing, it's ridiculous. But with the nickle plating, a dry rag is all you need to clean it, then some lube, drop it back in & you're done.
I was really hoping it would get my trigger down to ~3lb but they said anything less than 4.5lb can result in light primer strikes :( Maybe I wasted my money on it, will find out later.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 10 Jan 2014, 21:50

You dug up a three year old post to show us that :)

Just kidding.

Did that Aussie guy from Idaho Falls do that for ya?

I didn't know you had a Colt.

Mike

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 10 Jan 2014, 22:29

Yes, unlike SOME people (you know who you are) I actually do a search before starting a new thread. Oh look, there's one that works... I'll just zombify that one instead of cluttering things with another thread about the same sort of thing. :monkey: :p

I'm not sure where he's from but yes, he does have an accent - Quality Arms out of Rigby. They're also the ones I am going to get a 6.5 Grendel upper from if/when I get the money.
They have a local guy in Chubbuck so I just gave him the lower & BCG. He took it up to their shop & brought it back a week later. No FFL fees & no shipping :thumb:

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 11 Jan 2014, 10:33

FailZero Bolts are the way to go!

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 11 Jan 2014, 13:33

toyslr wrote:FailZero Bolts are the way to go!
Looks like about the same thing.
Cost is higher but then again, for $60 more than QA, you end up with a spare BCG. Pretty good deal actually considering what BCG's sell for.

Where the hell were you a week ago? :p :laugh:

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 17 Jul 2020, 11:03

Was having a problem with my Grendel ejecting fired casings, used to be fine but not so much lately - fine for 5-10 rounds then it would leave the spent round in the chamber but still cycle the bolt which ruined the next round it tried to chamber. No amount of cleaning & lube was working so I ordered a new extractor.
Not a lot of difference between them but in the last pic the spring has some kind of solid core on the new extractor. My old one doesn't have it although think I remember one being there once upon a time. Took rifle out again today with the new extractor in & it worked perfectly. So what is that solid core? Just a piece of metal? I don't want to break my new one or lose that little piece again so I thought I would ask first.