M&P 9mm good deal?

Discuss the variety of handguns out there.
Jerlucky05

M&P 9mm good deal?

Post by Jerlucky05 » 05 Mar 2013, 19:33

Not sure model yet. Gun only has 4 boxes of ammo threw it has trijicon sights and 3 mags. Is 450 a steal or just a average deal?

SF340_Driver

Re: M&P 9mm good deal?

Post by SF340_Driver » 05 Mar 2013, 19:59

Yep. Not a bad price. I'll take it if you don't...

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 05 Mar 2013, 20:05

Disclaimer: Against the crowd and majority of the "tactical" community,

I don't like M&Ps because of their lack of quality/reliability that they've been fixing since the release of the M&Ps .... but if you do, that is a good deal.

Hope it works out for you! :)
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

Jerlucky05

Post by Jerlucky05 » 06 Mar 2013, 10:28

Thanks for the advice guys

Reverend Herc
Platinum Member
custom title: Outstanding!!!

Post by Reverend Herc » 06 Mar 2013, 13:30

I would wait for the new line of M&P pistols to arrive. They are in the process of updating them.. I would wait....
There can only be two.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 06 Mar 2013, 13:38

Reverend Herc wrote:I would wait for the new line of M&P pistols to arrive. They are in the process of updating them.. I would wait....
They've been updating them since they came out, years ago :laugh:

I 2nd the Rev's comment.

Unless you've shot this particular one, like it, and it works and functions how a gun should; then, in this climate of "I can't find anything", it would be a good deal.
Shoot more, worry less.

Stitches1974

Post by Stitches1974 » 06 Mar 2013, 15:17

Reverend Herc wrote:I would wait for the new line of M&P pistols to arrive. They are in the process of updating them.. I would wait....
They were updated last summer. Something with the sear, made the trigger much better. Had an Oct 15, 12 test fired pistol with the latest update. As far as I know, I don't know of any active updates for the M&P line.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 06 Mar 2013, 15:31

Stitches1974 wrote:
They were updated last summer. Something with the sear, made the trigger much better. Had an Oct 15, 12 test fired pistol with the latest update. As far as I know, I don't know of any active updates for the M&P line.
Barrel.

I shoot with the armorer for the City PD.

The chief made all officers carry M&P's. They cannot choose from an approved list.
Shoot more, worry less.

Stitches1974

Post by Stitches1974 » 06 Mar 2013, 16:08

blueorison wrote:
Stitches1974 wrote:
Barrel.

I shoot with the armorer for the City PD.

The chief made all officers carry M&P's. They cannot choose from an approved list.
Barrel was the same. No changes there. Will dig up a link that shows the actual differences.

EDIT: adding link http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_16/13523 ... igger.html

Scroll down and there are pics of the visual differences.

The below quote is from a person who has an inside source at S&W

"Originally Posted By TheTacticalCoyote:
What S&W is doing is making the Sear Housing Block standard between all 9/40s. They are using the Thumb Safety SHB for the most part. That is why the Apex RAM does not work in most new models. Apex said they have a RAM for the TS models but deadline is up in the air.

From another poster :

So far based on the pictures yall have posted here are some of the most obvious differences I have noticed

the ejector

the frame rail on the same side as the ejector

and a square that believe may be some kind of removable block used for a safety. the square is located on the top edge of the frame about half way along the cocking serations

Link to the newest 40 version that I just sold: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_88/11351 ... _SPF_.html

Have owned both bersions.

smpsmp

Post by smpsmp » 06 Mar 2013, 20:43

One of these days I have to pick up an M&P. The experience I had with one that I fired was really good. The only upgrades were HD sights, and the APEX trigger. It wasn't a refined 1911 by any means, but I didn't expect it to be. I liked it as much as I like Glocks, not pleasing to the eye, but it worked.

Stitches1974

Post by Stitches1974 » 07 Mar 2013, 07:30

smpsmp wrote:One of these days I have to pick up an M&P. The experience I had with one that I fired was really good. The only upgrades were HD sights, and the APEX trigger. It wasn't a refined 1911 by any means, but I didn't expect it to be. I liked it as much as I like Glocks, not pleasing to the eye, but it worked.
They are great guns and have no issue with the M&P line, but I do have serious enough issues with S&W as a company. I sold all my Smiths and will NEVER have any dealing with them again.

Jerlucky05

Post by Jerlucky05 » 09 Mar 2013, 04:51

Thanks for all the input guys. "Friend" sold to another person for same price he quoted me. I'll be happy with the one 9mm I own for now.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 10 Mar 2013, 18:59

I don't push my advice onto anyone looking for advice (unless it's a very very close friend, then I refuse to let them waste their money).

It's overbearing and unfriendly; and I look very opinionated, regardless of what knowledge and experience I have with the respective subject.

That said, I am very glad you decided to wait.

Time will tell, and keep your eye and ears open for changes to more components than the sear and magazines (which have already been updated for the LE). Specifically, the barrel.

Blue out.
Shoot more, worry less.