Ejection Problem

Discuss the FN Handgun lineup; the High Power, FNP, and FNX line.
Ice_templar04

Ejection Problem

Post by Ice_templar04 » 08 Jul 2015, 18:02

Hello,

First time poster, first time five-seven owner.
Need a little advice from those more experienced with handguns than me (occasional shooter wanting to shoot more).
I picked up a used FNH Five-Seven Mk2. Took it to the range, it shot good (learned my form and aim needs work).
Took it home, cleaned it and oiled it good, reassembled and all parts moved/worked good. Then I decided to load the ammo and make sure it ejected good... but it didn't. The round would not eject with racking, it would start to come out a little and get stuck. I tried different magazines and it still happened. I tried wiping down the barrel inside and out to remove any excess oil.

Any experience with this? Did I leave too much oil in after cleaning it and the rounds getting stuck? Nervous to take it back to the range w/o finding out why it won't eject properly, or do I need to take it there to see if an actual live round will make it eject properly or clear out?
Yeah I'm a noob. Any answers would be appreciated.
Thank you.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Re: Ejection Problem

Post by blueorison » 08 Jul 2015, 19:55

Welcome to the forum!

Can you show a video demonstrating what is going wrong?
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 08 Jul 2015, 20:32

Video will help. It should extract and eject rounds manually cycling just fine.

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 09 Jul 2015, 01:11

Do you know how many rounds the previous owner fired, and how many you have fired? I haven't shot my FsN for a while, so you gents with more rounds down range, any chance the lacquer build-up in the chamber would be enough to keep rounds from extracting?

Ice_templar04

Post by Ice_templar04 » 09 Jul 2015, 02:52

Thank you for the replies.
Unfortunately I have a dumb-phone and my camera has been broke for 2 months. To describe it, when racking the round starts to come out anywhere from barely anything to an eighth of an inch. I think the round comes out more from gravity, because it will slide out if I give it a shake while holding the slide back.

As for round count, previous owner said only a few magazines of ammo. But I don't think it would be a broken part from him because at the range it performed flawlessly for me. It had to be something I did when cleaning, so I was assuming I over oiled it, but it still is having issues after I tried to clear off any excessive lube.

And I'm sorry if this post was in the wrong section, I realize that I may have made a mistake from that...

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 09 Jul 2015, 08:01

Ice_templar04 wrote:Thank you for the replies.
Unfortunately I have a dumb-phone and my camera has been broke for 2 months. To describe it, when racking the round starts to come out anywhere from barely anything to an eighth of an inch. I think the round comes out more from gravity, because it will slide out if I give it a shake while holding the slide back.

As for round count, previous owner said only a few magazines of ammo. But I don't think it would be a broken part from him because at the range it performed flawlessly for me. It had to be something I did when cleaning, so I was assuming I over oiled it, but it still is having issues after I tried to clear off any excessive lube.

And I'm sorry if this post was in the wrong section, I realize that I may have made a mistake from that...
This is normal. It's a long round and acts this way. This isn't your normal pistol caliber.

It needs to hit the ejector, hard, to eject with any force. If you actually use real force to eject it, it will fly 3-5 feet. That's still weak compared to the 15-20 feet the casings tend to fly.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 09 Jul 2015, 09:36

sure your extractor isn't broken?

grimmond
Gold Member

Post by grimmond » 09 Jul 2015, 12:47

What is your location. Maybe one of us that is close can take a look at it.
"Let us never forget that good intelligence saves American lives and protects our freedom."
-Ronald Reagan

Ice_templar04

Post by Ice_templar04 » 10 Jul 2015, 08:11

Ok so last night I disassembled it a bit and wiped it down a bit more. I also felt the rounds were somewhat greasy so I wiped them down too. Seemed to work. All rounds but 1 ejected upon racking. Extractor seems to work now (hopefully not jinxing it). Next time at the range I'll make sure it works.

Thank you guys for the replies.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 10 Jul 2015, 14:53

The ejector tip has a habit of breaking off.

Also you can always send it to Me/EA to inspect for you.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz