Optics for a 300wsm PBR xp

Discuss the FN bolt action rifle lineup; the Patrol Bolt Rifle (PBR), Special Police Rifle (SPR), Tactical Sport Rifle (TSR), and Ballista.
Grouse

Optics for a 300wsm PBR xp

Post by Grouse » 30 Nov 2009, 16:42

I have one on the way. I am looking now towards the optics for the rifle. Leopould MIV seems to come up alot. Thought I would ask FN guru's what they have preferred in the past.

romer522

Re: Optics for a 300wsm PBR xp

Post by romer522 » 01 Dec 2009, 20:51

Depends on your portability requirements and how how far you want to shoot. I've owned a Mark 4 and loved it, it was just too heavy for what I wanted though. I've got a nightforce on my 18" AR and it fits that application perfectly.

Any of the high end Mfgs make good stuff, I personally won't spend more than $500 on a scope that isn't illuminated anymore though after shooting with them so if you go Leupold make sure to pay the few bucks extra for illumination.

Josh Denny

Post by Josh Denny » 22 Sep 2010, 03:36

I think the best scope for the money is found in Nightforce. You need to identify the type of shooting you will be doing and pick a scope from there. The .300 WSM can go 1200+ yards no problem. If you are going to stretch that far with it then you will want to pick a scope with enough magnification to allow you to shoot that far, and one with matched turrets & reticle. I would go Mil/Mil but that's me. Specifically the Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 MLR reticle High Speed 1/10 Mil Rad Zero Stop would be my choice for long range shooting. The same scope in 3.5-15 would work too.

If you are going to be using it for hunting I would choose a smaller scope with less magnification. I am excited to see leupold's new 1.?-8x but that looks like it is going to be some big money. Nightforce makes a 2.5-10x32 that is very nice for the money.

I think you really need to clarify what your main intent will be for the rifle and what budget you have. The scopes I've mentioned above are all over $1000 and up to $2000. Once we know what you want from the scope, how you will be using it and the gun and the budget you have we can make some better recommendations.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 22 Sep 2010, 11:24

Josh Denny wrote:I think the best scope for the money is found in Nightforce. You need to identify the type of shooting you will be doing and pick a scope from there. The .300 WSM can go 1200+ yards no problem. If you are going to stretch that far with it then you will want to pick a scope with enough magnification to allow you to shoot that far, and one with matched turrets & reticle. I would go Mil/Mil but that's me. Specifically the Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 MLR reticle High Speed 1/10 Mil Rad Zero Stop would be my choice for long range shooting. The same scope in 3.5-15 would work too.

If you are going to be using it for hunting I would choose a smaller scope with less magnification. I am excited to see leupold's new 1.?-8x but that looks like it is going to be some big money. Nightforce makes a 2.5-10x32 that is very nice for the money.

I think you really need to clarify what your main intent will be for the rifle and what budget you have. The scopes I've mentioned above are all over $1000 and up to $2000. Once we know what you want from the scope, how you will be using it and the gun and the budget you have we can make some better recommendations.
Second that.

For 1000yd distance shooting, you won't need over 15x. If you're doing bench shooting (zzzz) you can look into 20x + scopes and hunting I would stick with < 15x, definitely.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 22 Sep 2010, 12:23

I just bought a Nitrex TR2 and its a great scope for the money. It is identical to the weaver super slam line but since the nitrex name has no real history, weaver is having a hard time selling the scopes for asking price. Natchezss.com has them on clearance and Nitrex is doing $100 mail in rebates. I picked up 2 scopes both 4-20x50 for under $6000 after the rebate. Considering that's the original price, its a damn good deal.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 23 Sep 2010, 19:28

All the recommendations are solid. I would urge you to look at another though, made at the same factory as Nightforce, but more hunting oriented. HUSKAMAW. You can find them at bestofthewest.com. Basically, they take the scope and match it to your gun, then all you have to do is read wind and distances. THeir patented reticle aids you in doing this too. Another option. Nitrex and Nightforce are great options too though.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

SHEEPDOG
Gold Member
custom title: A.K.A. DW

Post by SHEEPDOG » 23 Sep 2010, 22:24

:clap: +1 NGHTFORCE :clap: