Barrel break in?

Discuss the FN lineup of tactical rifles; the FS2000, SCAR, and the venerable FAL.
User42

Barrel break in?

Post by User42 » 03 Nov 2008, 19:04

I am rather confused having read plenty on barrel cleaning and break in procedures. Some people say shoot one then copper cleaner for 10 rounds, then shoot 2 or 3 then copper cleaner for the next 10-20-30 or whatever. Then some people say thats for benchrest bolt action target barrels (I believe they mean steel barrels not moly-chrome), and that you should just take your semi auto out to the range and shoot it (not worrying about break in shots).

Does anyone have any opinions (or preferably facts) on this? So far I have learned foaming cleaner is usually preferred if you have the time for it, and always clean any barrel from breech to crown (back to front) while avoiding having the cleaning rod touch the rifling, especially around the crown. From what I see people debate brass vs nylon brushes and to single stroke and remove or stroke the brush/cloth both ways.

My friend bought an AR-10 .308 and didn't bother with any break in procedures, just dumped around 100 random decent rounds (no cheapo or milsurplus) the first time at the range. I bring a Fenix flashlight everywhere and his barrel looked fine to me (didn't see any obvious pitting or copper buildup), but did he damage his barrels accuracy at all?

I really don't want to waste my time if it isn't necessary, but if it matters even 1moa difference I will spend a few hours shooting 50 rounds on the break in of my new FS2000. Any opinions/advice will be greatly appreciated.

*Oh and if anyone has an aftermarket front grip for sale, PM me.

jmz5
Site Admin

Re: Barrel break in?

Post by jmz5 » 03 Nov 2008, 19:30

No break in required for the FS2K.
Break in is generally reserved for match rifles.
كاف

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Re: Barrel break in?

Post by Rapier1772 » 03 Nov 2008, 20:50

I didnt do a break in on my FS2000 & it shoots fine. Probably had about 400-500 rounds through it by now.
Monolith Arms has aftermarket grips but they are still in transition to a new company right now.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.