Win For #1 TX

General discussion.
fatherfoof

Win For #1 TX

Post by fatherfoof » 07 Jan 2010, 22:23

Okay, if we didn't create controversy for discussion, where would the fun be? Being a Vol, I love the SEC. Still, living in TX, I half wanted TX to win. Now, from my perspective, the game with #1 Alalbama having a mere 10 points after TX playing a game for the National Championship with a QB with no more than high school time of gametime, I see TX as the winner. It is akin to the armed robber who takes a million from a bank, gets caught, and convicted. Then the judge gives him 10 years with suspended sentance. In other words, no jail, and he has a million bucks to spend. Who won? The bank or the perp. I'm not suggesting TX are criminal obviously, but under these circumstances I'd have to say they won the game. OKay, bring it on and beat me up. Ain't football great?
Please PM Me for LE/Military Access

Captan Harold D

Re: Win For #1 TX

Post by Captan Harold D » 08 Jan 2010, 07:54

Hey Father, I totally agree with you. Losing Colt and the game was a bitter pill to swallow, however I would imagine that the playing time the freshman QB got was quite valuable.
If wishes were horses, hobos would ride!

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator
custom title: Sweeper

Post by MrSlippyFist » 08 Jan 2010, 08:56

Texas shouldn't have even been in that game the way they played against Nebraska. They are barely a top 5 team. I remember when I heard that McCoy was nominated for Heisman, so I watched his next performance. All I saw was a QB who couldn't throw. He just handed the ball off, stared at the sidelines with a baby Huey look on his face waiting for his next command to hand off the ball. Him showing off his glass jaw on the first drive of the championship game just shows what a pussy he is. And if the coaching staff can't keep a competent back-up QB, well, then - sorry. I'm surprised they scored as much as they did. The NCAA season was over on Jan 4.
Embrace the Suck

Mister Freeze
custom title: 159.6

Post by Mister Freeze » 08 Jan 2010, 09:09

There are always argument about who did what better. The bottom line is the score. I'm a Texan, and the 'Horns are my boys, but the scoreboard doesn't lie. Winning is winning.

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator

Post by MrSlippyFist » 08 Jan 2010, 09:17

I wish it came down to just scoring. Because then the BSU Broncos would be #1. But of course there is strength of schedule, and blah blah blah.
Embrace the Suck

abatis

Post by abatis » 08 Jan 2010, 09:39

As a Big 12 grad I was hoping Texas could luck out and win. But Texas was very lucky to end up in that game. People getting hurt is part of the game, conditioning and toughness is required, also a great team will rise to the occasion. The best team won and Saban demonstrates that a top coach can turn a program around, he deserves the $4-$5 million per year salary. Now the easy recruiting starts for AL.

on the BSU Broncos - not even close to the same talent as in the SEC let alone a decent team like Texas. AL would have blown them off the planet and embarrassed them terribly. Knd of like when Florida played Ohio State a few years ago. But is always nice to dream what ifs with these undefeated soft schedule teams.
In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.
- John Adams

RedDog57
custom title: RedDog

Post by RedDog57 » 08 Jan 2010, 10:05

Hey Slippy, next time, don't hold back. Tell us what you really think, OK? :p

True, the scoreboard doesn't lie. But I think Texas can take comfort in that they got within 3 or 4 points of pulling it off. If 'Bama was such a powerhouse why wasn't the score more lopsided? It will be interesting to see how the freshman QB will be treated on campus--hero or goat. Mebbe Blueorison can give us a report.

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator

Post by MrSlippyFist » 08 Jan 2010, 10:08

I'm sure Kamo will be in here soon as well.
Embrace the Suck

kamo

Post by kamo » 08 Jan 2010, 17:10

Indeed, it was a late nite @ Blue Fish in Irving..... All I'll say is this, I am not disappointed at all. If you consider the circumstances of having the leader/best/and not to mention key to your whole offense out on the first drive. If anything I am hyped for next year because for a true freshman stepping into the biggest game with almost no experience, and to play as well as he did (later part of the game mainly). Most of the D will be back and we have an incredible freshman group coming in this next season. Gilbert had 186 yds vs mcelroy's 58 yds. Texas's D I think played very well under the circumstances of the turnovers.

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 08 Jan 2010, 17:25

Theory behind a team is that another memeber should be able to step up and cover or make up for loosing
a member. ALL the announcers did ALL night was talk as if McCoy was in the game it would have been different.
I don't think once I heard either say anything about Bama actually out playing them ALL night after the first 10
minutes. Colt is a good quarterback no doubt but one man is not a team. If the Horns want to use that excuse
instead of the fact that they got BEAT then it says nothing for their coaching.

kamo

Post by kamo » 08 Jan 2010, 18:01

One man is not a team, but you can easily argue many good teams even right now...

I can think of many examples how if 1 player leaves it changes the dynamics of the game.
I can easily say if Tony Romo gets hurt that Dallas's season is instantly over.

Texas was dealt a pretty big blow like OU had at the beginning of the year and Florida when tebow got that concussion. And when your starting QB is healthy pretty much all season, you can't coach or prepare a straight out of highschool kid to unexpectedly jump into the biggest game in college football and perform at the same level.

I don't think anyone is making excuses for anything. I think the reason you are hearing this non stop is that once Colt got hurt and left the game, this wasn't going to be a national championship caliber game.

I am tired of hearing it and I am a texas fan. But, it was the same flack texas got when they won the Big 12 game in the final moments of the game, but no one mention the last minute field goal wins florida had, or even some of the close games bama had earlier in the season. I think it's going to be a great 2010-2011 season because a lot of players will enter the draft, there are major coaching changes going on right now. Gotta love college football.

All that matter is the score at the end and bama did play a good game and much props to them.

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator

Post by MrSlippyFist » 08 Jan 2010, 19:56

Indeed, good post. Can't wait for next season.
Embrace the Suck

Captan Harold D

Post by Captan Harold D » 09 Jan 2010, 07:06

You got it right Kamo. Well stated. :agree:
If wishes were horses, hobos would ride!

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 12 Jan 2010, 15:44

Haha...

As I told me friend, it's ok. We're pretty much #1 at EVERYTHING if not top 3. Gymnastics etc.

Instead of counting how many top 3 categories we're in, it'd be easier to count how many we're NOT in :)

That bragging on behalf of my college aside, I agree with the above comments on colt. Now if only they could spend more money aiding students with their funding rather than blowing it on sports all the time...
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 13 Jan 2010, 06:51

Colt McCoy is the most overrated QB in college football. He is awful. He will go nowhere in the NFL, and quite frankly, if he would have played the entire game, Bama would have won by more. Texas should have started their second string QB earlier in the season. He is way better than McCoy, especially under pressure.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.