Happy Memorial Day 2015

General discussion.
SAVAGEJIM
custom title: MC Juice

Happy Memorial Day 2015

Post by SAVAGEJIM » 25 May 2015, 05:39

Happy Memorial Day everyone!

Stay safe and have a good cookout and get-together with friends and family.

Most of all, don't forget about our servicemen who are still fighting for our freedom and keeping us safe.
And more so, please remember those who fell in duty to our country. They sacrificed everything; they gave up everything they own, their family lives, and everything else the could have ever had because they swore an oath to defend the Constitution and our great Nation and paid the ultimate sacrifice for us so that we can still uphold our rights, our liberty, and our freedom.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Re: Happy Memorial Day 2015

Post by Rapier1772 » 25 May 2015, 17:24

I cringe when I hear someone say, "Happy Memorial Day!" To me, these people don't seem to catch on what the day is about. Usually when I ask them why "happy," they talk about the day off work, BBQ & beer, blah blah blah; not a word about what it's really about. This is when I remind them & they're like "oh yeah, that too." :skep: :furious: Thank you for clarifying your post with the latter part.

I think it would be better to say, "Have a reflective Memorial Day." Or even "Have a good Memorial Day." But happy? Not so much.
Memorial Day is the day we remember all those who gave their lives to protect our freedom. There are, and have always been, other ways to give so please, remember those people as well.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

SAVAGEJIM
custom title: MC Juice

Post by SAVAGEJIM » 25 May 2015, 18:50

Very similar to the article written by Jennie Haskamp in the Washinhton Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/chec ... heres-why/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very true Memorial Day began as a day of remembrance of the fighting dead sometime after the Civil War (this was originally called Decoration Day), and just as true the holiday has devolved from a day of remembering into picnics, BBQ, and now, a commercial mass consumption day just like what Christmas Eve and the day after Thanksgiving(Black Friday) have become.

I share your sentiment in that I am upset that the masses have forgotten about the rememberance part, but as my GF mentioned to me, the day can also be thought of as a celebration of what the fallen have died to protect: our freedom, liberty, and ability to enjoy this day, even if many are ignorant of what the day represents.
I thought deeply about this and what keeps coming back to me is this question: My friends who paid the ultimate sacrifice, what would they want me to do? Remember them, yes. That is the very least I can do. But they would also tell me to live life and celebrate what they fought for. And if it were me who paid he ultimate price and any one of them still alive, I would want them to live life and celebrate the freedom, liberty, and pursuit of happiness I would have died for.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 25 May 2015, 22:27

Congrats. That's the best/ONLY reason I've seen/heard for saying Happy Memorial Day which includes the real reason for the holiday.
Still doesn't dull my desire to give atomic wedgies to them that only care about the days off and beer & BBQ.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 30 May 2015, 11:44

I spent most of last weekend getting sunburned and scraping crap off tombstones with my grandmother. Once she stops doing this, I'm going to hire someone to do the job, she puts way more effort into maintaining the family plots then I every imagined.
كاف