Completely unrelated, multivitamins

General discussion.
CDeel
custom title: Wannabe Mall Ninja

Completely unrelated, multivitamins

Post by CDeel » 29 Jan 2013, 14:42

Recently, after almost my whole life refusing to take supplements of any kind due to an irrational fear of pills, I gave in and started taking vitamins. I noticed an immediate difference, mostly with consistency (less days where I feel weak, or generally like crap). I also work at a medical facility and had been catching the same cold over and over, and that stopped.

Here's my problem. I've been buying them for the past two months at the grocery store and costco and they're ridiculously expensive. I've looked online for cheaper, but haven't found anything worth buying. Do any of you have experience with this? I had been taking one a day gummy vitamins (yes I am a child) but I'd be willing to take pills to save money.

Thanks for reading my bizarre and in no way gun related post.

Reverend Herc
Platinum Member
custom title: Outstanding!!!

Re: Completely unrelated, multivitamins

Post by Reverend Herc » 29 Jan 2013, 19:39

http://www.optimen.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or

http://www.optimumnutrition.com/product ... p-283.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like both... Opti-performance is close to rocket fuel but i prefer to take vitamins through out the day so optimen does a great job of keeping you there....

They have stuff for women too...

http://www.optimumnutrition.com/product ... s-c-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check it out....
There can only be two.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Post by panzermk2 » 29 Jan 2013, 22:02

The ones you get at the big box stores are crap, filled with cheap filler, contaminates and most time the minerals is in a form your body can't really use. Go with Wellness Resources daily energy and their vitamin D 2500IU. You can get them on Amazon.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Reverend Herc
Platinum Member
custom title: Outstanding!!!

Post by Reverend Herc » 30 Jan 2013, 04:29

panzermk2 wrote:vitamin D 2500IU.
:agree:
There can only be two.

JoJo

Post by JoJo » 30 Jan 2013, 08:35

Google Bariactric Advantage for multivitamins. Also, look at the amino acids at the Vitamin Shoppe. I am 68 with a weak heart, pacemaker, six open surgeries and bad hips but I still bench press 185 pounds, curl 50 pounds and walk a mile EVERY day.
The value of supplements can not be overstated. When I visited Blu in June of 2012, I had a hard time even walking. Since I started the supplements my life has changed! :D

Oldbindlestiff
Gold Member

Post by Oldbindlestiff » 30 Jan 2013, 09:24

Doc has me on 4000 i.u. of vitamin D. 2000-2500 or so should work for anyone who isn't vitamin D deficient.

Also, 2000 mg of good quality, mercury-free fish oil will help with triglycerides and lowering cholesterol. If you get nasty "fish burps", try the enteric type.

And, watch for "low sodium" foods and drink. Many producers bump up the potassium to improve the taste.

To quote Mae West, "Getting old isn't for sissies."
Karma. Serving up justice one a**hole at a time.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 30 Jan 2013, 10:48

JoJo wrote:Google Bariactric Advantage for multivitamins. Also, look at the amino acids at the Vitamin Shoppe. I am 68 with a weak heart, pacemaker, six open surgeries and bad hips but I still bench press 185 pounds, curl 50 pounds and walk a mile EVERY day.
The value of supplements can not be overstated. When I visited Blu in June of 2012, I had a hard time even walking. Since I started the supplements my life has changed! :D
BS You don't look 68 at all! :laugh:
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

JoJo

Post by JoJo » 30 Jan 2013, 12:34

blueorison wrote:
JoJo wrote:Google Bariactric Advantage for multivitamins. Also, look at the amino acids at the Vitamin Shoppe. I am 68 with a weak heart, pacemaker, six open surgeries and bad hips but I still bench press 185 pounds, curl 50 pounds and walk a mile EVERY day.
BS is right. I am actually only 67! But my brain is old and creaky so make allowances for my mistake.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 30 Jan 2013, 13:28

JoJo wrote:
blueorison wrote:
BS is right. I am actually only 67! But my brain is old and creaky so make allowances for my mistake.
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :thumb:
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

Armed Eye Doc

Post by Armed Eye Doc » 30 Jan 2013, 15:30

Oldbindlestiff wrote: Also, 2000 mg of good quality, mercury-free fish oil will help with triglycerides and lowering cholesterol. If you get nasty "fish burps", try the enteric type.
I recommend Omega3 supplements to my patients frequently for dry eyes. I usually suggest to not take them on an empty stomach and try putting them in the freezer. This helps (some) with the fish taste for those who have it. As with all other supplements, they are not created equal. You should look for one that has a higher concentration of the Omega3's, EPA and DHA. You should be getting 1000 mg+ of EPA+DHA per day. That is irrespective of the size of the capsule.

CDeel

Post by CDeel » 30 Jan 2013, 16:57

Wow- so much good advice, thanks guys. I'm leaning toward the wellness resources stuff because they have more of a bulk buy type thing, but I'll decide for sure when I run low on my grocery store stuff.

My problem with the fish oil stuff- even megared- is not the breath or fish burps, but it gives me AWFUL body odor for some reason. A stinky security guard isn't good. I might give it another go though.

Armed Eye Doc

Post by Armed Eye Doc » 30 Jan 2013, 17:02

Flax seed is another source of Omega3. However, I am unsure of the dosing for that. A word of caution, rancid flax seed oil can be harmful for the prostate. So be sure it is fresh.

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 31 Jan 2013, 05:21

Depending on where you live, you could be so deficient in Vit D that OTC products just won't do it.
Get yourself tested and consult your pharmacist or Physician before you start your supplements(outside of just a regular multivitamin). Better yet, talk to your pharmacist, most doctors don't know shit about vitamins.
كاف

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 31 Jan 2013, 06:59

The best multivitamin that I've found isn't the cheapest. I find it at the Health Food Store and it's called Life Fortune. Comes in a green bottle to block sunlight and they're these huge green pills. The directions say to take 2 pills two or three times a day, but we only take them of a morning and end up pissing Mountian Dew all day. These things are the Digg-Bombity!! They have their own natural enzyme inside them that begin breaking them down for absorption as soon as you take them.
For fish oil without the taste or the burps, the VA actually started sending me bottles of 1000MG stuff from Major. Take it twice a day and it WILL reduce cholesterol.
Now, if I could find something that could reduce arthritis, make me skinny and turn back the clock about twenty years, I'd be a happy camper.
Hell, as long as I'm dreaming, make it grow back my hair and make certain other appendages bigger and I'd kiss the maker!
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

CDeel

Post by CDeel » 31 Jan 2013, 10:02

I'm 24, I don't have to worry about a lot of that stuff just yet ;)

JoJo

Post by JoJo » 31 Jan 2013, 10:24

CDeel wrote:Wow- so much good advice, thanks guys. I'm leaning toward the wellness resources stuff because they have more of a bulk buy type thing, but I'll decide for sure when I run low on my grocery store stuff.

My problem with the fish oil stuff- even megared- is not the breath or fish burps, but it gives me AWFUL body odor for some reason. A stinky security guard isn't good. I might give it another go though.
Vitamin Shoppe has some liquid fish oil that has nearly zero taste. Pricey but imported from Europe (devaluation of the dollar).

JoJo

Post by JoJo » 31 Jan 2013, 10:26

Cyberfly wrote:The best multivitamin that I've found isn't the cheapest. I find it at the Health Food Store and it's called Life Fortune. Comes in a green bottle to block sunlight and they're these huge green pills. The directions say to take 2 pills two or three times a day, but we only take them of a morning and end up pissing Mountian Dew all day. These things are the Digg-Bombity!! They have their own natural enzyme inside them that begin breaking them down for absorption as soon as you take them.
For fish oil without the taste or the burps, the VA actually started sending me bottles of 1000MG stuff from Major. Take it twice a day and it WILL reduce cholesterol.
Now, if I could find something that could reduce arthritis, make me skinny and turn back the clock about twenty years, I'd be a happy camper.
Hell, as long as I'm dreaming, make it grow back my hair and make certain other appendages bigger and I'd kiss the maker!
Ditto that!