Navy SEAL honored with warship

General discussion.
Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Navy SEAL honored with warship

Post by Rapier1772 » 05 May 2011, 13:37

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110505/ap_ ... ro_warship" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Short version, Lt. Michael Murphy, a navy SEAL killed in Afghanistan is getting a destroyer named after him. It will be christened this Saturday, May 7th.

From wikipedia:
Murphy was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions during Operation Red Wings in Afghanistan in June 2005. He was the first sailor awarded the Medal of Honor since the Vietnam War.

What he did to earn it is at the news link above. :patriot: :patriot:
His view was that there are "bullies in the world and people who're oppressed in the world. And he said, 'Sometimes they have to be taken care of,'" [his mother] said.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

Robar

Re: Navy SEAL honored with warship

Post by Robar » 05 May 2011, 13:57

I read that story earlier today. It sucks the way it happened, but pretty cool that he is getting a ship named after him.
:patriot:

firestorm248
Gold Member

Post by firestorm248 » 05 May 2011, 15:39

Read the book “Lone Survivor” the part of that book where they are trying to escape will make a grown man cry. Both the Lt. and everyone else on that team deserve more than we could ever give. :patriot:

N4TAB-Tom

Post by N4TAB-Tom » 05 May 2011, 16:31

There are men that, called to their inner duty and trained beyond the limits that most of us can understand, accomplish things that border upon the unbelievable. Yet, they do it. Such men, rare in many, if not most cultures, seem to have an unstated purpose of "I live here".

What can be said, other than Thank You, Brother. There are debts that cannot be repaid in-kind.

Humbly said,

Tom

murphies_finest
custom title: King Thread Killer.

Post by murphies_finest » 05 May 2011, 16:38

cool

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 06 May 2011, 00:18

Sweet.
Not to get political, as I don't mean for this to be taken that way, but I'd much rather see a ship named after a man like this than another 'president' like the CIC we have now.
I know, how can that statement NOT seem political? Because years from now, regardless of anything else that happens, our current 'community organizer in chief' will be remembered for recent activities performed by men like this, rather than his own actions.
Bravo to the LT and all he stood for! And Bravo to the Navy for taking this action on his behalf and to honor his name in such a way.
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**