3 of the 4 levels of hell I went through to get the LEE 5.7x28mm crimp die to work.

Reloading info for the 5.7x28mm

Moderator: Grantness

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

3 of the 4 levels of hell I went through to get the LEE 5.7x28mm crimp die to work.

Post by panzermk2 » 27 Apr 2022, 14:03

3 of the 4 levels of hell I went through to get the LEE 5.7x28mm crimp die to work. https://rumble.com/v12obsr-elite-ammuni ... battl.html
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

trevorstuart24

Re: 3 of the 4 levels of hell I went through to get the LEE 5.7x28mm crimp die to work.

Post by trevorstuart24 » 27 Apr 2022, 19:59

I’ve got a Lee fcd that says Lee 5.7x28 LO that I bought off Amazon and has been successful for me. I set it up by starting with the top cap completely loosened, raise the ammo into the die, screw the top cap down until I feel resistance, back the ram away and then turn the top cap a half turn further. I’m seeing a consistent crimp and I can make it tighter or lighter by adjusting the top cap slightly.

It does feel weird since the top cap is very loose with how I have it set up but it seems to be a consistent crimp.

It does leave 4 small notches where the collets intersect on the brass but i remove that by turning the case a little and running it through the die again.

BRZ

Re: 3 of the 4 levels of hell I went through to get the LEE 5.7x28mm crimp die to work.

Post by BRZ » 28 Apr 2022, 17:36

Must have got lucky when I set mine up. Only had to adjust it a little bit and now it seems like I get a pretty consistent crimp.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 29 Apr 2022, 10:19

Lee Crimp Die Fourth Time Is The Charm, very charming it works after 4 tries

https://rumble.com/v12x4zn-lee-crimp-di ... tries.html
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

JohnG

Post by JohnG » 18 May 2022, 15:01

Jay,
How important is "crimp" for reloading 5.7? I haven't been crimping at all to this point and I am curious if the crimp is for performance, safety, both or neither? it seems like the factory ammo types did not utilize a crimp but a glue which, I suppose, could help as a measure to mitigate setback upon the chambering process but likely no benefit in the performance that I can think of outside of that. Would appreciate any input...

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 19 May 2022, 10:44

Crimp is very important.

The glue replaces a crimp and holds better than a normal crimp.

The round is designed to have one ether glue or mechanical.

Once you gee above 40k psi you will have pressure spike issues and inconsistent velocities and pressures.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

JohnG

Post by JohnG » 19 May 2022, 17:15

Interesting…so am I reading correctly that for operating pressures above 40k psi that the crimp helps marginalize the effects of overpressure and inconsistent velocity or are the benefits seen at sub 40k psi? After having pulled down a bunch of AE, it’s definitely hit or miss with glue but it’s obviously some weak ammo. In my mind, it doesn’t seem like the glue would do much of anything if going by the ease at which the ammo can be pulled down. It seems like a mechanical crimp would be the better option, especially with regard to an initial pressure wave. I’m no scientist, of course…just thinking out loud here.

JohnG

Post by JohnG » 21 May 2022, 12:14

Piqued my interest so I picked up LEE re-sizer from Midway. I must have gotten lucky as the die works great and is consistent! I used it for 2 loads I am currently working on…not sure if it was the crimp or not but my 2 groups were amazingly tight. The lower charge had a phenomenal group but short-stroked on a round so I bumped the charge up .2g and have a load that appears to work very well and is also accurate. It looks like I will stick with crimping for now. Running an AR platform, it makes sense to me.