Lacquer on case

Reloading info for the 5.7x28mm

Moderator: Grantness

klw

Lacquer on case

Post by klw » 21 Sep 2016, 14:26

When used in a PS90 how long with the lacquer hold up?
Also if you get a jam, how hard is it to clear?
Finally, did anyone ever figure out how to relacquer the cases?

Failing that is there a list anywhere of what doesn't work? What people have tried that failed?

DoubleJ

Re: Lacquer on case

Post by DoubleJ » 21 Sep 2016, 15:19

Properly cared for lacquer should outlast the shoulder.

Never jammed a PS90, can't help there.

Every lacquer experiment I know of has failed. No lacquer is also a fail. Bad lacquer is a fail. I've got some cases with a scrape in the lacquer though, and they run fine.

klw

Post by klw » 21 Sep 2016, 18:20

Interesting. About how many reloads per case on average?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 22 Sep 2016, 06:15

5 to 8 if you load light loads.

Make sure to use Carb Clean on your chamber (Wally World house brand works great) as de greasers and gun solvents DO NOT remove lacquer build up since they aren't designed to.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

GONRA

Post by GONRA » 14 Aug 2018, 13:47

In GONRA's experience, its a Nice Idea to leave the Microscopic layer of Case Resizing Lube
on the Resized Case / Finished (ready to shoot) Ammo to deal with these issues.

ALSO - just didit for Brand New EA brass in my 5.7x28 mm FN FsN Pistol.
Setup "STP Oil Treatment" (yer Favorite Case Lube will be Just FIne too!) Sloppy Fingers.

Smeared every "factory fresh case" hand load.
Functioned PERFECTLY in my FsN with my Prize Winning Handloads.

Over the decades, THIS has been a"good idea" for
5.56x45 mm (.223) FAMAS rifle reloads,
7.62x51 mm NATO Golden State Arms G3 reloads, and
our 5.7x28 mm FN FsN pistol reloads.
(Never reloaded much for other HK "Roller Cam" Retarded Blowback fifles - factorY ammo was too cheep.)

>>> For .276 Pedersen rifles, ABSOLUTEY NECESSARY!!!! (No fluted chamber.) DON"T BLOW YER HEAD OFF! <<<
(Warm yer wallet (red hot) and contact GONRA if you need .276 Pedersen En Bloc clips.
Am not sellin' 'em - will ell ya'll who to email. )

GONRA

Post by GONRA » 14 Aug 2018, 13:47

In GONRA's experience, its a Nice Idea to leave the Microscopic layer of Case Resizing Lube
on the Resized Case / Finished (ready to shoot) Ammo to deal with these issues.

ALSO - just didit for Brand New EA brass in my 5.7x28 mm FN FsN Pistol.
Setup "STP Oil Treatment" (yer Favorite Case Lube will be Just FIne too!) Sloppy Fingers.

Smeared every "factory fresh case" hand load.
Functioned PERFECTLY in my FsN with my Prize Winning Handloads.

Over the decades, THIS has been a"good idea" for
5.56x45 mm (.223) FAMAS rifle reloads,
7.62x51 mm NATO Golden State Arms G3 reloads, and
our 5.7x28 mm FN FsN pistol reloads.
(Never reloaded much for other HK "Roller Cam" Retarded Blowback fifles - factorY ammo was too cheep.)

>>> For .276 Pedersen rifles, ABSOLUTEY NECESSARY!!!! (No fluted chamber.) DON"T BLOW YER HEAD OFF! <<<
(Warm yer wallet (red hot) and contact GONRA if you need .276 Pedersen En Bloc clips.
Am not sellin' 'em - will ell ya'll who to email. )

TankMan

Post by TankMan » 30 Sep 2019, 18:25

Hello I'm brand new to this forum. I've just begun the process of purchasing an FN FiveSeven. I'm new to the cartridge but not new to reloading and firearms in general. I have reloading capability for more than just a few cartridges/ I've loaded everything from 25ACP, 30 Mauser up to 2cm /20mm for a Lathi. And I've loaded 577/450 M-H and other old black powder cartridges using smokeless. I understand the need to ensure powder charges don't deviate. I've not reloaded in a number of years because of relatively inexpensive ammo for common cartridges but 5.7x28 is not that common, nor inexpensive and besides I live in a restrictive state.... hence I'd like the option of reloading. All that said I've learned enough over the years that I know there still lots to learn. I am here to do just that.

What drew me to this thread was the coating I hear many discussing. Do I understand correctly that it is a recoil retardation mechanism? I read the reference to reloading for roller locking lug actions like HK and SIG actions I had HK 91 and 93 rifles as well as a SIG AMT and once reloaded for all of them. 4 reloads was my max before retiring cases. I hear 5 reloads is about it for 5.7x28? less? cases stretch and I assume fail somewhere.

Which brings me back to the coating. So far no one has replicated it. Is it known if the original coating is applied before the rounds are assembled? Is it simply sprayed or dipped and dried or baked on before loading? Is it applied after the rounds are assembled? Not having any rounds yet to examine I'm not sure what is visible. I read that it's a lacquer but is it really or some sort of polymer? My question is does anyone really know what it is or am I correct in assuming it is proprietary and secret? Which solvents dissolve or damage this coating. Sorry for all the questions but my initial background was in chemistry and a good friend is a coatings chemist so I'm a bit curious about this mystery coating....

A little blurb about me..Professionally I ended up a systems programmer/developer( retired) but was still a member of the ACS until recently never having given up my chemist roots. To add a twist I'm an accomplished machinist and I do foundry work....firearms are a life long interest but my primary hobby is here..http://tanks.linite.com...

Apologies for the long winded message.

Tankman (Jerry)

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 01 Oct 2019, 05:15

Coating is a form of lacquer. EA has it's own version for it's in house brass.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

klw

Post by klw » 01 Oct 2019, 05:37

I have long wanted to see and have previously suggested that a list be made up of all the failed attempts at replicating this lacquer. That was we would know what not to try and might zero in quicker on something that might work.