New reloader

Reloading info for the 5.7x28mm

Moderator: Grantness

NLVMike

New reloader

Post by NLVMike » 09 Feb 2016, 13:46

I finally bit the bullet and tried to dip my toe into the reloading arena. I can hear you all laughing already. It's hard not to fall into the deep end.

I know from reading here that 5.7 is not the cartridge to start with. I bought a cluster of equipment from the estate of a widow. I took my time cleaning it up and building a bench. I really wanted to start slow. Translated, that means I have spent so much time at the bench that my wife is threatening me. (I won't say with what).

I worked up a .45ACP load that works great in all my 1911's, and next thing you know, I had loaded 1,000 rounds. I also put together some 10mm and 40 cal that work well, along with a couple hundred 38 special. All of this is on a Dillon 550.

Then I ventured into the rifle cartridges. They don't really lend themselves to a progressive press, even though I have toolheads set up with all the dies for 5.56, 308, 30-06 and 243. I've ended up using the Dillon like a single stage, because of all the case prep needed (?) before I drop powder. I shot 30-06 and 243 loads I rolled this weekend and they worked great. Accurate groups and no problems.

I am creeping up on ready to try the 5.7. I have a single stage press, and I bought the Lee 5.7 dies. I ran a few hundred cases through the sizing/depriming die. I tweaked it until I get the shoulders EXACTLY where they are on factory rounds. So far, that is as far as I have gone. I have 5 lbs of True Blue, but no bullets yet. I have this Lyman electronic powder trickler. It is a bit slow, but way cool (accurate). I will use it until I feel very comfortable with a powder throw.

Meanwhile, I am making once fired brass from factory whenever I can.

With my time factored in, I might be able to get this down to $10 a round.

GONRA

Re: New reloader

Post by GONRA » 09 Feb 2016, 14:39

GONRA hopes your single stage press is a Nice Big One to get "uniform headsace resizngs".
Then you can do all "necked case case prep" on that before you run 'em thru the Dillon.

Suggest STP Oil Treatment (auto parts stores) or Tri-Flow Synthetic Grease (bike shops)
for a case lube in such a single stage press operation.
RCBS SMALL BASE dies are great too!
Swage primer pockets where needed with a Dillon tool too of course.

Make SURE to get case gauges to check your resizing / case prep.
Make SURE ammo chambers freely in any semiautos.
Be SURE to use CCI military primers in these too,

Sounds like you are off to a REALLY GOOD START!

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 09 Feb 2016, 15:23

NLVMike wrote:With my time factored in, I might be able to get this down to $10 a round.
Factoring time, you might be underestimating :laugh: :lmao: That's why this is a spare time hobby

I only use the 550 for straight case cartridges. The longer, necked rounds of the .223 & larger calibers don't seem to work well for me; I bend/break the decapping pin/rod at least once every time I use it for them.
I want to use the 550 for the 5.7 but the shell plate won't turn, think I need to chuck it up in a drill & file the OD down a few hundredths. But, since the 5.7 is so sensitive to over-pressure, it will only be used to crank out "middle load" range ammo. Anything else will go to the single stage & scale for each round.

If you don't have one yet, definitely get one of EA's go-no go gauges; I wish I had them for every caliber I load.
I've never swaged the primer pockets on the 5.7. I need to get one for the .223 & .308 rounds though.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 09 Feb 2016, 20:45

OK, good advice. I have CCI 41 military primers. My single stage press is a Lee classic, and I must admit, it feels downright "dainty" next to the 550. Tell me more about "uniform headspace resizings". I have been using the barrel from my FsN as a case gauge, but I think I will order the EA. I like the STP Oil treatment idea. I'm old enough to remember Lee Trevino pitching it in TV commercials where he couldn't pick up the screwdriver treated with it.

At the bottom of the estate box I found this big heavy blue thing. It took me a while to figure out that it is a Dillon SS600 primer pocket swage press. I ran some Lake City 30-06 brass through it and it seems to work. I will adjust it and try it on the 5.7 brass as needed.

GONRA

Post by GONRA » 10 Feb 2016, 17:56

NLVMike sez "Tell me more about "uniform headspace resizings"".
GONRA means that the sized case headspace measures the same case-to-case.
Pretty much need a Stiff Stalwart Press to accomplish this.....
Your Lee Classic Cast Press 90998 is PERFECT.
That's what I now use for all "scrap dealer military case prep". (Not .50 BMG though!)

If you hava cheep Harbor Freight electronic caliper, this + your FsN barrel
can be used to check headspace uniformity.
Use FACTORY ammo as a reference gauge.

With the stuff he left you, obvious that Estate Guy really knew wot he was doing!
That'sa lucky find to start reloading with!

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 12 Feb 2016, 05:33

OK, I'm getting down to bullet decision. Should I go with the Sierra Blitzking Moly 40gr or the Vmax 40gr? The Sierra is pretty cheap in large quantity from PSA. I'm hoping this guy in Salt Lake City gets another dismantle contract and sells off all the pulled 27gr bullets. I passed on a bucket of them a few years ago and I'm kicking myself.

kmiles

Post by kmiles » 12 Feb 2016, 07:23

NLVMike wrote:OK, I'm getting down to bullet decision. Should I go with the Sierra Blitzking Moly 40gr or the Vmax 40gr? The Sierra is pretty cheap in large quantity from PSA. I'm hoping this guy in Salt Lake City gets another dismantle contract and sells off all the pulled 27gr bullets. I passed on a bucket of them a few years ago and I'm kicking myself.
I have not used the moly coated, but I have used the standard Blitzking. The performance is so close to the vmax, I do not even keep separate load data for them. I typically buy whatever I get for the best price. If you take a look at midway they sometimes will have seconds on the 40gr. polymer tip. They did have some for about $14/100. The last batch I bought had blue tips just like the SS197. Guess it was some sort of over run from Hornady.

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 12 Feb 2016, 07:54

NLVMike wrote:OK, I'm getting down to bullet decision. Should I go with the Sierra Blitzking Moly 40gr or the Vmax 40gr? The Sierra is pretty cheap in large quantity from PSA. I'm hoping this guy in Salt Lake City gets another dismantle contract and sells off all the pulled 27gr bullets. I passed on a bucket of them a few years ago and I'm kicking myself.
I prefer the 40gr Nosler Ballistic Tips, or the combined technology ballistic silver-tips if you can find them. If you've got the time and the money, get a collet style bullet puller and pull your own 27gr bullets from SS195. The performance is hard to beat compared to other factory available bullets.

GONRA

Post by GONRA » 12 Feb 2016, 14:37

Upon GONRA's prayerful reflection, here my COMPLETE LIST of brass / powder / bullet types
along with reloading data goodies found on this website
that I NEVER would have dug up myself, for great FiveSeveN PISTOL reloads:

36 grain Barnes Varmint Grenade bullets, True Blue Powder (6.3 grains MAX),

27 grain DHX bullets, True Blue Powder (6.7 grains MAX) per John 743 loading info.

You will have to check to see if DHX bullets are still available.

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 14 Feb 2016, 20:03

Ok, with the awesome help of this forum, a little search and wiki use, this is getting fun. After figuring out just the right simple green/hot water ratio and time, and case lubes, etc., I have come up with one combo that is a must. Pandora, with a Frank Sinatra station and Merle Haggard station set on shuffle is the perfect reloading combination.

The Dillon SS600 primer pocket swager works great, but I haven't really had a problem seating primers without it. First problem, and I will start using it on every case.

I can't seem to find DHX bullets, but I will keep at it. On Midway, the reviews of the 40gr Nosler Ballistic Tips are consistently awesome. Leaning that way.

kmiles

Post by kmiles » 15 Feb 2016, 07:12

Pretty sure that they do not make the DHX bullets any more. The company seemed to transition more into a shooting range/club, and the bullet website went away. They were probably the closest to the SS195/198 bullet, but were quite a bit shorter. It was pretty easy to get the speed to match the SS198 from the pistol, but not sure the ballistics were the same as the factory option. They had 2 separate core materials to get the bullets to tumble on impact, but never used them for anything but putting holes in paper. I think there are better options out there at this point at similar price points.

Kiran04

Post by Kiran04 » 15 Feb 2016, 22:08

Gonna try the new Nosler 35 grain Varmageddon Hollow Point. Way cheaper than the 35 grain ballistic tips. My favorite were the 30 grain Varmint Grenades, but those have also been discontinued. I really wish someone made 40 grain FMJ .224s. I'd buy them up in a heart beat.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 17 Feb 2016, 15:54

Kiran04 wrote:Gonna try the new Nosler 35 grain Varmageddon Hollow Point. Way cheaper than the 35 grain ballistic tips. My favorite were the 30 grain Varmint Grenades, but those have also been discontinued. I really wish someone made 40 grain FMJ .224s. I'd buy them up in a heart beat.

The discontinued Berger 30gr Varmint where some of the best and the only commercial bullet to ever come close to the 27gr FNH round in performance.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 25 Mar 2016, 16:47

OK, I'm still working on the same batch of brass for my first attempt. The money keeps piling up. I sprung for a Little Crow World's Finest Trimmer. With shipping, it came to my door for about $75. I trimmed them all (1,000) to 1.132. If you have used the WFT, it is really easy to use for a lot of brass, but very difficult to adjust to an exact length. If you try for either 1.135 or 1.130 and end up with 1.132, just stop there and use it. You will never get any closer. I chamfered the mouth a bit, and cleaned the primer pockets. I primed 100 of them and they are ready to drop powder and bullets. I bought 500 40gr. Nosler Varmageddon bullets and 250 Hornady 40gr Vmax.

I just realized that loading up a few ladders to work up to a load is pointless without a chrono. I will get one this weekend. I figure the price of my first 1,000 rounds will be over $500 in real costs, with no time factored in. Of course, the next 1,000 will be cheaper.

Just to make myself feel better, I went online to PSA and bought 20 boxes of SS197 for $360 to lower my average cost per bang.

I'm glad this is fun. :)

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 31 Mar 2016, 04:53

I loaded the first 25 rounds. Until I get really comfortable, I am not using any type of powder throw. I am weighing every charge. The True blue powder is so fine. Even a tiny bit of static and it sticks to the inside of the plastic funnel.

I loaded 5 rounds each at 5.6 through 6.0 grains with 40gr Vmax bullets. Saturday I will make a Sportsman's Warehouse run and pick up a chrono and take them out to the range and see what happens. I appreciate all of the advice on the forum.

grimmond
Gold Member

Post by grimmond » 31 Mar 2016, 11:00

Use an anti static electronics spray on all your reloading equipment to prevent powder sticking and variations in electronic scales.
"Let us never forget that good intelligence saves American lives and protects our freedom."
-Ronald Reagan

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 02 Apr 2016, 12:35

I finally got around to shooting my first rounds. I bought a Shooting Chrony Beta Master and took it out to the desert. the range here won't allow me to set up anything but a target in front of the bench. I read a lot of chrono reviews, but mainly bought it because it is what was available at the local Sportsman's Warehouse. My short review is that with the exception of a couple of wierd readouts, it works as expected. The interface is like it was designed by a high school programming class, in the 70's, but it works.

I started with a few rounds of SS197 as a baseline. I clocked speeds of 1760, 1754 and 1720.

My 5.6 grain rounds averaged 1615 fps. They gradually worked up to an average of 1737 with a load of 6.0 grains.

The only brass I picked up with any signs of pressure were the SS197 factory loads, which has very slight cratering around the primer strike. My thought is that I could go a little higher than 6.0, but I am just loading plinking rounds now. When I find some great bullets (Jay), I will work up a hotter load.

For now, I'm pretty stoked about putting together a couple hundred rounds with the brass I have prepped. Thanks for all your input.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 02 Apr 2016, 17:41

NLVMike wrote:I finally got around to shooting my first rounds. I bought a Shooting Chrony Beta Master and took it out to the desert. the range here won't allow me to set up anything but a target in front of the bench. I read a lot of chrono reviews, but mainly bought it because it is what was available at the local Sportsman's Warehouse. My short review is that with the exception of a couple of wierd readouts, it works as expected. The interface is like it was designed by a high school programming class, in the 70's, but it works.

I started with a few rounds of SS197 as a baseline. I clocked speeds of 1760, 1754 and 1720.

My 5.6 grain rounds averaged 1615 fps. They gradually worked up to an average of 1737 with a load of 6.0 grains.

The only brass I picked up with any signs of pressure were the SS197 factory loads, which has very slight cratering around the primer strike. My thought is that I could go a little higher than 6.0, but I am just loading plinking rounds now. When I find some great bullets (Jay), I will work up a hotter load.

For now, I'm pretty stoked about putting together a couple hundred rounds with the brass I have prepped. Thanks for all your input.
:thumb:
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 02 Apr 2016, 20:19

Now that I have a Chrony, it is time to try and prove a couple of things that I believe to be true. I still have about 1,000 rounds of old brown box SS192. I stopped shooting it when I realized that it was going through things that SS197SR was not going through, even though I was being told they were the same, except for the primer. Now I can check my gut against the clock. I also have a couple boxes of EA S4M that date back to when they came in 50 round boxes. I get to clock them and some 198 also. This will be fun.

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 03 Apr 2016, 18:31

I have not been very good at uploading photos, but this one makes me pretty happy.

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 05 Apr 2016, 09:27

Another trip to the desert with the Chrony this morning. This is getting pretty fun. The only downside was that I burned through a fair amount of EA S4M that has been in my safe for a long time. Apparently the combination of a moly coated bullet and early sun do not favor this chrony. I got a lot of ERR on the screen with that bullet.

Highlights were; Average speed of 3 EA S4M out of the PS90 was 3,015 fps. Fastest of anything I tested. Got 2,419 fps out of the FsN.

SS198 averaged 2,488 from the PS90, and ten year old brown box SS192 averaged 2,522.

My reloads matched current production SS197 almost exactly out of both the FsN and PS90. No malfunction or FTF. Add to that perfect weather made for a great desert morning.

grimmond
Gold Member

Post by grimmond » 05 Apr 2016, 15:30

I found the beta chrony hyper sensitive to indirect sunlight from the side. I ended up setting up a screen to the side of the sensors to get good readings on mine. I also put the white deflectors on which also helped in other situations.
"Let us never forget that good intelligence saves American lives and protects our freedom."
-Ronald Reagan

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 05 Apr 2016, 17:16

It's getting hotter here in Vegas, and I won't be going out to the desert much longer without an EZ-up. Next trip I will try putting the beta chrony under the shade structure.

grimmond
Gold Member

Post by grimmond » 05 Apr 2016, 21:20

NLVMike wrote:It's getting hotter here in Vegas, and I won't be going out to the desert much longer without an EZ-up. Next trip I will try putting the beta chrony under the shade structure.
I found that actually worked pretty good. I now also have a gamma master chrony which doesn't seem to be as sensitive to the light but I still try and keep it out of direct sun.
-Ronald Reagan

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 09 Apr 2016, 10:00

I had a bad day with the Chrony this morning. It rained most of the night and it was an awesome heavily overcast morning. I went out to the desert and struggled to get anything but ERR on the screen. It recorded a few 5.7 shots, maybe 50% of what I sent through it. It recorded about 5 out of 14 45ACP shots, and 0 out of 12 44 Magnum rounds. I only went out with one cylinder of factory rounds and one cylinder of my reloads, and got 0 readings. Bummer.

I guess it want a little more light than I had today.