Tooled up and ran test batch of 40g Vmax w/ Blue Dot

Reloading info for the 5.7x28mm

Moderator: Grantness

acertainshade421

Tooled up and ran test batch of 40g Vmax w/ Blue Dot

Post by acertainshade421 » 27 Nov 2014, 17:06

Had been saving up all my factory fired ss197 brass that had been shot from my FiveSeven pistol , so finally after researching and doing a preliminary study of successful loadings , i went and got my dies and equipment. The only published powder i was able to locate was a 5lbr of Blue dot , i had previously purchased a couple boxes of 40g Vmaxs and a box of 50g Matchkings. Planned out that i would start with just developing a decent Vmax load for plinking, intending to stay on lower pressure side of charge and would play with subsonic after i had some rounds under my belt and research the use of Blue Dot as a suitable subsonic powder option. Out of my 4 local reloading spots the only 5.7 die set i was able to find was a set of RCBS FL dies , i had researched the Lee dies offered by a member of the forum and understood they were the prefered die set followed by hornady. Had seen their was a few issues with a couple RCBS die sets but that their appeared to be a 50/50 split of people saying they werent having issues with theirs. anyways sure as shit i had a problem with the sizing die not being able to size a piece of brass while the decapping assembly was in the sizing die . long story short set up a universal decap and sized in seperate stages with the 5.7 decapper on universal die. measure and checked everything and went to my lyman manual and put a 40g vmax load together using 5.7g and worked up to 5.9 for 5 rounds apiece for a total of 15 test rounds . was using a cci400 primer and seated at book standard of 1.525 . had cleaned brass with a low mix ration of simple green but the RCBS sizing die was stripping the lacquer off the brass even after about 1hr of polishing die as a few other guys i contacted had said remedied their bad RCBS die. all 15 test shots went off without a hitch but noticed the rim of case was getting pretty well chewed up , one of the notes id had taken when comparing the factory ss197 dimensions of a loaded round was the c.o.a.l dimension was 1.580 so one question i have is why the decreased case length in the lyman manual , would think the factory loaded ss197 dimension could only help pressure related problems of compressing a charge in a already inherently dangerous pressure curve ?

DoubleJ

Re: Tooled up and ran test batch of 40g Vmax w/ Blue Dot

Post by DoubleJ » 29 Nov 2014, 12:15

Blue dot is a good powder to start with, it fills the case pretty well. I'd stick with 1.580 COAL on the VMAX, I usually just use a factory round to set up my seating die. What sort of case head chewing are you seeing, a missing chunk on the rim? My ejector does that to mine, nothing to worry about in my experience. I don't see any velocity numbers, no chrono? I wouldn't play with 5.7 reloads without one, sometimes you see huge ES' or regression before you see other conventional pressure signs, a chrono can save your bacon. Most are about $100 to get you started. As for your loads, 5.9 is well under my starting charge for that load in a PS90 I was playing with, so you're way safe in the FsN if you bring your bullet out a bit. I have the Lee dies, and they've been perfect, not sure why your RCBS dies are pulling the lacquer off, what lube are you using? I've been using the Redding wax in the little tin for 5.7 and reforming 300blk, a little messy, but I don't think there's a better sizing lube. As for trouble sizing and decapping, with the short neck on this round, the depth of the decapper/expander is crucial and there's very little wiggle room. Check with RCBS and ask where it should be. I took my Lee one out, forgot where it was, and had to call them to figure out where it went, no trouble since though.

acertainshade421

Post by acertainshade421 » 01 Dec 2014, 09:52

Yup ran some other [email protected] 5.8g load @ 1658fps in my FsN , got a couple more to go verify with charges at 5.9g /6.0g Blue Dot. I'm using Hornady One Shot exclusively for all my cartridges I use imperial for my neck sizing but 5.7 got hit with Hornady. Just appears that the rim of the case is getting pretty mangled upon extraction on my reloads. Also had a couple small scratches on brass but felt around with feeler gauge and no evidence of case head separation or over pressure yet , my struck primers look way better than the factory ss197 looks after firing but I'm almost 100% that the factory loadings are hot loaded hot anyways and don't really want to start the chase of trying to mimic factory velocity to a T.

acertainshade421

Post by acertainshade421 » 01 Dec 2014, 09:54

Rcbs sent me a replacement die to send them back the one that came in my FL die set , Small base sizing die was replacement and although it does actually size and deprime in single step it is still marring the <profanity> out of the lacquer and strip it once die engages the body of the case

GONRA

Post by GONRA » 01 Dec 2014, 12:58

As usual, GONRA suggests trying STP Oil Treatment asa case lube.
May have to rotate case holder to find a "sweet spot" - best axial alignment in your press.
If THAT verks, then you know YOUR current case lube isn't OK for YOUR application.
This lube, plus RCBS SMALL BASE dies verk Just Fine for me.....

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 01 Dec 2014, 16:20

Factory 197 loads must be safe in the 90 actions, so they're loaded way soft. You can beat them without even trying. Are your rims getting tore up by the extractor or the ejector? I'm not positive, but with the FsN being a straight blowback, I don't think the extractor does anything but hold the rim in the bolt face until the ejector whacks the case into the next zip code, like a 22LR. Can you post a pic of a rim?

catalina2014

Post by catalina2014 » 06 Dec 2014, 14:23

I know this is a dated post but....I'm using the RCBS dies and my only complaint is my fingers aren't small enough for these little bullets. As for case prep, overnight in Tide detergent. I,m chamfering the case mouths to help in seating and I use One-Shot as a lube, after 1000's of rifle rounds, one stuck case, a Berdan primed case got in the mix and I noodled the decaper, jamming the case. Other than that, One Shot seems flawless. I know some folks just lube the dies, but I spray the cases.