VV N105 --->Expensive but clean shooting

Reloading info for the 5.7x28mm

Moderator: Grantness

bremerd1

VV N105 --->Expensive but clean shooting

Post by bremerd1 » 27 May 2014, 19:43

So I couldn't get the 'usual' powders I load in 5.7x28 (Longshot, HS6) for a few months, and finally ran out of both.

I did a little looking and research, and found a semi-steady supply of VV N105. I ended up working up this load:

40 Gr Zmax
5.7 Gn Vihtavuori N105
CCI #400 Small Rifle Primer
OAL = 1.585
Notes: Shoots fine. Not much recoil. Seems to shoot clean.

No velocity info (I shot my chrono, and have not replaced it yet...Doh!), but this powder seems to work fine at this loading level. I've seen it mentioned on the forum elsewhere, but thought I'd add to the collective wisdom.

Dan B

wilhun

Re: VV N105 --->Expensive but clean shooting

Post by wilhun » 11 Aug 2014, 20:26

What kind of dies did you use? I bought a set of Hornady dies and they score the casing (polymer scraped off the bottom of the casing). I had to screw it down pretty far to resize the neck properly. If I back off too far the case is fine but the neck is too large.

Will loss of polymer adversely affect the ejection of the casing?

I'm using 40 gr. VMAX ballistic tip. I would imagine you need to crimp?

Thanks,
wilhun

grimmond
Gold Member

Post by grimmond » 11 Aug 2014, 22:34

Polish your Hornady dies and they will be fine. Especially at the mouth of the die. Crimping is not necessary to reload for this caliber but it can be done. As to the lacquer causing issues, depends on the platform you are shooting them out of. For the fsn, you can be missing quite a bit before you may or may not have issues. I have fired some with no lacquer at all and it was a hit or miss as to it ejecting properly.
"Let us never forget that good intelligence saves American lives and protects our freedom."
-Ronald Reagan

COZINATOR

Post by COZINATOR » 04 Feb 2015, 21:21

Hi.

May I ask where you found VV N-105?

I have been looking for that powder for ages!

COZ

grimmond
Gold Member

Post by grimmond » 04 Feb 2015, 22:49

"Let us never forget that good intelligence saves American lives and protects our freedom."
-Ronald Reagan

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Post by panzermk2 » 04 Feb 2015, 23:42

Careful with the metering on this powder. From a safety stand point don't push your loads.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

grimmond
Gold Member

Post by grimmond » 05 Feb 2015, 09:32

panzermk2 wrote:Careful with the metering on this powder. From a safety stand point don't push your loads.
What do you mean?

I have found it to be a very good powder for people beginning to load for this caliber. It is a good powder for 40-55gr bullets. VVn105 is a small stick powder and fills the case before pressures spike with most bullets. Metering is not bad with a good powder dispenser. At 7.0gr you are nearly at the neck and above that with some bullets the load gets compressed. I have a very compressed load at 8.0gr=2011fps with a 40gr Zmax and very slight signs of pressure. I also have loads at 7.5gr=1747fps with 55gr FMJ bullets.
-Ronald Reagan

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 05 Feb 2015, 10:14

What I mean is due to the size of the sticks metering of it is not accurate enough no matter what measure is used when you are at the limits of the load.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

jkelley209

Post by jkelley209 » 05 Feb 2015, 10:27

Jay what do you think of the reload data in on the 5.7x28 in the Lyman book 49th it seems they have differences in COL they say 1.52 fot the 40gr vmax and the FNH load is seated at 1.58. also they have an Accrurate no 7 round that they use a WSRP with and in accurate's load data they use more powder and a WSP . Which one do you think is better?

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 05 Feb 2015, 12:06

VV sticks are small, they drop awesome from my cheapo RCBS, literally zero variance, and that's at a charge weight of 3.6gr for my 9mm loads.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 05 Feb 2015, 12:35

jkelley209 wrote:Jay what do you think of the reload data in on the 5.7x28 in the Lyman book 49th it seems they have differences in COL they say 1.52 fot the 40gr vmax and the FNH load is seated at 1.58. also they have an Accrurate no 7 round that they use a WSRP with and in accurate's load data they use more powder and a WSP . Which one do you think is better?
Due to insurance liabilities I can't give detailed load data advice since I am a manufacture and my policy does not cover that. I looked into awhile ago when I wanted to publish load data and the cost was many times more a year then I pay now for ins.

DoubleJ wrote:VV sticks are small, they drop awesome from my cheapo RCBS, literally zero variance, and that's at a charge weight of 3.6gr for my 9mm loads.

Zero for you but enough that I can record it and outside my acceptable standard deviation. The amount may be to small for you to measure and that is my point. When getting near the max what you can't measure with your system will get you.

My main powder scale sits on it's own steel machined plate, on it's own weighted stand just to give you an idea.

I am not saying to not use this powder just watch it when near the max more then you would TB or similar grain type.

Free advice you want to disregard is fine by me.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

COZINATOR

Post by COZINATOR » 05 Feb 2015, 14:22

Thanks Grimmond for powder source!