Tumbling vs Expansion

Reloading info for the 5.7x28mm

Moderator: Grantness

DoubleJ

Tumbling vs Expansion

Post by DoubleJ » 12 Jul 2013, 13:55

During my recent foray into long range AR load developement, I've come to find out that since the gubment can't use true hollowpoints other than OTM boolits, they've concentrated (since Vietnam I think) on getting little boolits to tumble or yaw after entering the bad guy. The 855 round is notorius for refusing to yaw and from what I understand it makes ice pick holes in bad guys. The newer Mk 262 is a 77 gr, and from what I gather it yaws rather quickly do to it's length and does terrible things inside bad guys. As regular people, we have the option of HP, FMJ, Poly tips, etc. My question for people that know stuff is this: Which should we be chasing with the FsN? It seems to me that even if you get expasion, which isn't guaranteed based on velocity and denim jackets and 100 other variables, 100% expansion still only nets you a .44 hole. If we can get even a short .750" boolit to yaw though, that's a .75x.22 hole, and should pretty much happen no matter what unless you hit your BG in the forearm or something. I see alot of discussion here about penetration on Kevlar, but I think that more applies to people that are in harms way for a living. I'm just a guy in a house, and if guys wearing vests are coming, I've probably gotten myself in over my head anyway. Right now my bedside gun is a .45, but it's super heavy and leaves me pretty short on follow up shots, not to mention I load it to somewhere around 1400 FPS with a 180gr HP, so muzzle blast and recoil and such are pretty serious. I'm seriously considering putting the FsN next to the bed, but certainly not with Vmax's, and other than handloads, nothing else is really available except the AE FMJ stuff. What do I do?

grimmond
Gold Member

Re: Tumbling vs Expansion

Post by grimmond » 12 Jul 2013, 15:24

Buy EA's T6 round or their 32gr & 36gr PFP's to reload. Or reload the 40,50,55gr CE ESP Raptor. But in all reality do not write off the Vmax round if reloaded for home.
"Let us never forget that good intelligence saves American lives and protects our freedom."
-Ronald Reagan

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 12 Jul 2013, 19:02

It seems all EA stuff is out of stock until they can get supplies, so until I can chase down some T6 I'll have to roll my own. I have a box or two of the VMAX stuff, and a couple boxes of the AE stuff. Only about 8 rounds of the little lead free ones. Would I be better off pulling the AE stuff and reloading it properly, or maybe the little OTMs? I've looked at the Raptor and it looks promising, but there's also the GS boolits...then of course the TSX, the 45gr Bee boolits, and I think somebody has a 45gr spire soft point that looks like it'd be pretty bad for BGs. I'm also not sure if I can even get any of these boolits, so who knows. On the subject of the GS boolits, is there any load data out there for the FsN?

grimmond
Gold Member

Post by grimmond » 13 Jul 2013, 18:39

All of the bullets you listed would be fine. Of the 40gr TMJ AE round I have done some testing using Ramshot True Blue and so far I've been able to push it up to 1928fps. As for the GS bullets it would depend on what type you order. I just received an order of 39gr GS solids(mdl# 224039SP192), and I can tell you that they are only designed to penetrate and remind me of the Barnes BBS only made of copper. I have only done some limited testing so far but have pushed it to 1842fps so far. Personally I use the CE ESP Raptor and Vmax for my home.
"Let us never forget that good intelligence saves American lives and protects our freedom."
-Ronald Reagan

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Post by panzermk2 » 14 Jul 2013, 22:34

Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 15 Jul 2013, 19:34

where do I get those?

grimmond
Gold Member

Post by grimmond » 15 Jul 2013, 19:44

:D You sign up for EA's notices and then cross your fingers and click real fast when they are posted for sell. :laugh: And then if you miss out :wall:
-Ronald Reagan