Grimmonds CE 40gr ESP Raptor loads

Reloading info for the 5.7x28mm

Moderator: Grantness

grimmond
Gold Member

Grimmonds CE 40gr ESP Raptor loads

Post by grimmond » 09 Jul 2013, 21:24

I figured since enough people had been looking and asking about them, I would post some of my load data from testing them. All tests were done with my FSN which was stock at the time. Please do not assume that you will be able to perfectly match my loads. Start at least .5gr below my listed max data and work your way back up in .1gr increments to see what your particular weapon produces. All of my cases were sized in Lee dies and have been trimmed to 1.130". All of these loads were set at 1.451" without the tip installed. With my dies, adding the tip before seating had no effect on the actual seating depth do to it not hitting the seating plunger. The only thing that I noticed the tip does is increase accuracy slightly at distances over 50 meters. In my initial testing I found that CCI400 primers gave me higher velocities then Winchester small rifles so that is what I stuck with for these posted loads. Also I had initially tested without EA's spring and had taken it up higher but found out once installing it that I was really beating up my slide assembly with those powder levels. I have since added EA's threaded barrel with HD spring and added those details.

Case length=1.130" OAL=1.451" w/o tip

Ramshot True Blue I do not recommend taking it above 5.9gr
5.5gr = avg 1713fps
5.6gr = avg 1741fps
5.7gr = avg 1788fps
5.8gr = avg 1822fps// 1851fps w/EA barrel
5.9gr = avg 1833fps// 1866fps w/EA barrel
6.0gr = avg 1886fps(minor primer flattening)//
1875fps w/EA barrel(some primers flattened)
6.1gr = avg 1922fps(some primer flattening)//
1930fps w/EA barrel(flattened primers & 1 pierced primer)
6.2gr = avg 1936fps(all primers flattened)//
1941fps w/EA barrel(5 pierced primers & 2 Blown)

Accurate #5 Just started testing with this powder
5.5gr = avg 1674fps w/EA barrel(no issues)

Vihta Vuori VVn105 Just started testing
7.0gr = avg 1785fps w/EA barrel(really like the way this felt)

Alliant Blue Dot Just started testing
6.0gr = avg 1718fps w/EA barrel(not bad but kinda dirty)

Hodgdon Lil' Gun tested once and will not continue t try. This powder is way to slow even to use for subsonics and is extremely dirty. The chamber will start to open before it finishes burning.
"Let us never forget that good intelligence saves American lives and protects our freedom."
-Ronald Reagan

DoubleJ

Re: Grimmonds CE 40gr ESP Raptor loads

Post by DoubleJ » 10 Jul 2013, 18:43

Awesome info, thanks for posting. I didn't realize how efficient this cartridge is, hitting 50% the energy of an AR-15 with a quarter of the charge, very nice. Do you have any expansion tests planned?

grimmond
Gold Member

Re: Grimmonds CE 40gr ESP Raptor loads

Post by grimmond » 10 Jul 2013, 20:34

When I shot them into milk jugs of water the front petals fragment off and create their own wound channels. If you go to CE's web page https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-bin/ ... A55_RAPTOR you will see what it looks like in their ballistics gel test.
"Let us never forget that good intelligence saves American lives and protects our freedom."
-Ronald Reagan