Let's talk about copper boolits

Reloading info for the 5.7x28mm

Moderator: Grantness

DoubleJ

Let's talk about copper boolits

Post by DoubleJ » 03 Jul 2013, 16:18

I'm seriously considering replacing the bedside .45 with a bedside FiveseveN, but the Vmax isn't gonna cut it. I've got a press and bench, so I thought maybe I could make something better. I looked at the Bee HPs, the 40gr FMJs, but what caught my eye was copper boolits. Barnes has some 45gr HP and Poly tipped boolits that look nice, but I think I read somewhere that they need more speed than the FN can produce to open up. Then I noticed

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/533977 ... -box-of-50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

these newcomers, with quite the big HP and optional tip. They say it takes 1600 FPS to get them to open up, and I've seen guys here push handloads around 1900 if I remember correctly. Anyone have any experience or input or ideas for me? I come from the school of speed, so I'd be shooting to load boolits under 50 grains, and I know EA has some awesome stuff, but I've got a sack of brass and a rock chucker, so I'd like to roll my own. Please also let me know if the 40gr FJMs I've got do any good on bad guys, and if my recollection of the Barnes info is correct. Thanks all.

grimmond
Gold Member

Re: Let's talk about copper boolits

Post by grimmond » 03 Jul 2013, 20:42

I use those Cutting Edge Bullets. They are on the pricey side but are really good. I use 5.8gr of True Blue and CCI400 primers and avg 1851fps. I found that anything above that will beat up your gun and you will start to see flattened and pierced primers from 6gr and up. Don't rule out EA's stuff, because it can do wonders.
"Let us never forget that good intelligence saves American lives and protects our freedom."
-Ronald Reagan

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 03 Jul 2013, 20:58

Do you run them tipped or open? Have you had a chance to shoot anything gooey with them? No True Blue around me, just a pound of Blue Dot, but I'll write down your recipe, thanks.

grimmond
Gold Member

Post by grimmond » 03 Jul 2013, 21:48

I have run them both tipped and non-tipped. Tipped gets a little better accuracy over longer distances. The only thing other then targets so far that I have shot, is water filled milk jugs, frozen milk jugs, and a 10lb bone in ham. I can tell you they are pretty impressive. I will be testing it with Blue Dot, VVn105, AA#5, and Lil' gun over this weekend. I do not have high hopes for Blue Dot though because in most of my testing Blue Dot has given me pretty large spreads in velocity on average. If I get enough tests done I will try and post my results.
"Let us never forget that good intelligence saves American lives and protects our freedom."
-Ronald Reagan

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 04 Jul 2013, 07:22

Look forward to your results, thanks

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 09 Jul 2013, 19:49

Midway put these boolits on clearance. Only $3.56 or something off though, and I don't even have dies, so I'll have to take a pass and hope I can find it somewhere else.