Which die set is best?

Reloading info for the 5.7x28mm

Moderator: Grantness

Clutch75

Which die set is best?

Post by Clutch75 » 02 Sep 2020, 10:47

I'm new here and new to 5.7x28, but decided to reload my own. (Yes I know not best time to get into it. Lol)
Anyway I am getting my equipment together and have a question.
Which set of dies would he best? The ones I hav found are
1- Hornady 2 die set 5.7x28
2- RCBS full length die set group bottle rifle cartridge 5.7x28
3- Lee 90803 Pacesetter 2 die se4 22 tcm caliber.
Also how good are the Lee precision 5.7x28 FN bottle neck factory crimp die?
Thank you for any info.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Re: Which die set is best?

Post by panzermk2 » 02 Sep 2020, 11:44

Lee does not make a 5.7 crimp die. In the plast folks have modified thier .223 to work with 5.7

CH4D and Hornady make the best 5.7 dies.

RCBS and Redding {{{ specifically}}} 5.7 dies suck, dig deep into the reloading section adn you will see issues going back a decade. I am NOT saying ALL RCBS dies suck, in fact they make some of teh best, BUT their 5.7 dies are shit.

Lee USED to be good then they changed the specs of their sizer dies and that create all sorts of feeding issues.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Gunpoor

Post by Gunpoor » 26 Sep 2020, 17:38

Im a newby to t.7 myself... I went with the Hornady's. Polished the guts of the sizer.. No issues thus far. I do not crimp...,

A007mcguyver

Post by A007mcguyver » 30 Sep 2020, 19:24

I am a newbie here myself and am in the same situation as Clutch.
Just bought a 2 die set of Lee 5.7 dies, and a Hornaday lock n load classic press.
I also did buy a Lee 5.7 x 28 factory crimp die as well.
Waiting for my loading manual and other assorted gear to arrive now.
Immediate problems:
Find powder
Find bullets
Find primers
Find brass
Pickins are slim right now!

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 07 Oct 2020, 06:00

Gunpoor wrote:
26 Sep 2020, 17:38
Im a newby to t.7 myself... I went with the Hornady's. Polished the guts of the sizer.. No issues thus far. I do not crimp...,

You want to make sure you don't change the spec of the re sizer but polishing goes a long way to protecting the coating on the cases.

Also sizing and de priming separately on a single stage help also. This way you can use a lube, a light one like one shot case lube, to also aid in protecting the coating. Then you do the simple green wash as recommended, air dry, NOT OVEN, and then proceed to load on your progressive.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Gunpoor

Post by Gunpoor » 08 Oct 2020, 15:30

I used "Mother's" aluminum polish on a cotton cleaning swab to do my die... I was having some minor scuffing/peeling of coating prior. None now.. Agree with Jay, dont go crazy!! I also wash prior to sizing keeps any grit out of die.. I wash again after sizing. Then again I'm anal and crazy as hell with this little bastard! Its either perfect or it goes in the trash. No "close enough" on my bench with this one!!! Lol

rbphelan

Post by rbphelan » 23 Dec 2020, 18:50

panzermk2 wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 11:44
Lee does not make a 5.7 crimp die. In the plast folks have modified thier .223 to work with 5.7
Check out Lee #90725 - Factory Crimp die 5.7x28 FN. Mine works great!

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 24 Dec 2020, 17:04

Yeah making a vid about that crimp die, took Lee 4 trys to get me one that worked
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Saspencer64

Post by Saspencer64 » 25 Dec 2020, 16:15

Not trying to be contrary, but Redding FL series D #80477 2 die set work for me.
After polishing both and adjusting properly, the sizer die allows the case to fully load in the chamber without force and then when tipping the muzzle up the case just slides out of a cleaned chamber. The seating die allows tapper crimping as little as .001 and repeatable COL bullet seating.
I do agree about the RCBS dies but their Rock Chucker single stage press is just fine.
Manufacturers quality control varies I suppose and I just may have gotten lucky.
One thing I'm unsure about; recleaning the brass after sizing seems like a waste of time. F class long range bench rest competiters dont. They just wipe off the Imperial size wax with a clean cloth. And the minute amount of lube left on the brass when sizing I would think would aid in case insertion in the die body.
Merry Christmas !

Saspencer64

Post by Saspencer64 » 25 Dec 2020, 16:18

Not trying to be contrary, but Redding FL series D #80477 2 die set work for me.
After polishing both and adjusting properly, the sizer die allows the case to fully load in the chamber without force and then when tipping the muzzle up the case just slides out of a cleaned chamber. The seating die allows tapper crimping as little as .001 and repeatable COL bullet seating.
I do agree about the RCBS dies but their Rock Chucker single stage press is just fine.
Manufacturers quality control varies I suppose and I just may have gotten lucky.
One thing I'm unsure about; recleaning the brass after sizing seems like a waste of time. F class long range bench rest competiters dont. They just wipe off the Imperial size wax with a clean cloth. And the minute amount of lube left on the brass when sizing I would think would aid in case insertion in the die body.
Merry Christmas !

GONRA

Post by GONRA » 17 Jan 2021, 13:24

GONRA's RCBS "Small Base" die set with STP Oil Treatment or TriFlow Synthetic Grease case lube verks perfectly!
RIght back to factory dimensions.... Use a big heavy press too.....