Opinion: miss out or avoid a gouge

Discuss 5.7x28mm factory ammunition
EvoLee

Opinion: miss out or avoid a gouge

Post by EvoLee » 27 Jan 2013, 07:50

I went to the Norfolk VA gun show yesterday and stumbled across a dealer that had 1000 rounds of new ss197 ammo. He was asking $50 per 50 round box. I offered him $40 a box for 200 rounds and got shot down.

Did I miss an opportunity to get some factory ammo or avoid a price gouging dealer?

I'm sitting on about 450 rounds but have let my FiveseveN become a safe queen because I can't find reasonable priced ammo. Does anyone think $1 a round will be the new going price for factory ammo?

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Re: Opinion: miss out or avoid a gouge

Post by Rapier1772 » 27 Jan 2013, 08:32

I think it was a price gouging dealer & hope/pray/animal sacrifice that prices will return to normal.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

Stitches1974

Post by Stitches1974 » 27 Jan 2013, 09:14

Price Gouger. Give it 6-8 months and things "should" go back to normal. Exact same thing happened back in 2008. Just get on the notify me lists that many major stores have and have the CC close by when the email comes in. That's how I scored my ammo @ $23.99 a box a few weeks back.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 27 Jan 2013, 12:09

EvoLee wrote:I went to the Norfolk VA gun show yesterday and stumbled across a dealer that had 1000 rounds of new ss197 ammo. He was asking $50 per 50 round box. I offered him $40 a box for 200 rounds and got shot down.

Did I miss an opportunity to get some factory ammo or avoid a price gouging dealer?

I'm sitting on about 450 rounds but have let my FiveseveN become a safe queen because I can't find reasonable priced ammo. Does anyone think $1 a round will be the new going price for factory ammo?
You missed

going to the range and shooting and improving your shooting skillset

instead of talking to stupid people at the gun show.

And maybe the point of even having practice ammunition in the first place.

:cya:
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 27 Jan 2013, 12:37

Rapier1772 wrote:I think it was a price gouging dealer & hope/pray/animal sacrifice that prices will return to normal.

Guys, it isn't price gouging. Price gouging is when a maximum price is set by a regulator and retailer sells for more. Need to quit using terms that have been bastardized and used incorrectly by left to attack free market.

BUT...I would not buy. Prices will drop eventually as supply out paces demand. I believe this for two many reasons:

1. The economy is bad most places. People simply don't have endless reserves of resources to continue this buy rate of ammo and guns. By contrast, from what I have been told, manufacturers are racing to up productions and get as much out as possible. This will create slinky effect that we all saw mid 09, when you could get ARs and ammo for bargain rates because shops had too many in stock.

2. NOTHING will get banned. The lefties don't have the votes to ban. Any effort to short circuit the system will be met with extreme resistance and with a 24 hr news cycle, it will be stopped before it can ever go any further.

Calm down, invest in local and federal gun rights advocacy groups, call and write your members of congress, engage in the public debate thoughtfully and with basis of facts.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 27 Jan 2013, 13:49

Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to a situation in which a seller prices goods or commodities much higher than is considered reasonable or fair.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_gouging" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
price gouging - pricing above the market price when no alternative retailer is available
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/price+gouging" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Price gouging: opportunistic behavior designed to take advantage of an unforeseen opportunity
Price gouging: "No party within the chain of distribution of such consumer goods or services or both shall sell or offer to sell any such goods or services or both for an amount which represents and unconscionably excessive price." - Mark Perry, Professor of Economics at UM-Flint
http://www.forbes.com/sites/artcarden/2 ... a-picture/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Price Gouging - This refers to artificially inflated prices on necessities after a disaster, natural or otherwise.
http://ago.mo.gov/ConsumerCorner/encycl ... ouging.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If there is a “gross disparity” [during a state of emergency] between the prior price and the current charge, it is considered price gouging.
http://myfloridalegal.com/pages.nsf/mai ... endocument" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These were just from a quick google search & none of these places mention anything about having a max price set by anyone/anything.
IMHO, except for maybe the alternative retailer bit, it seems we're using the term correctly :ponder: Some people have alternate retailers, some don't. Also, if a seller has no conscious then unconscionably doesn't really apply except in the opinion of others.
I'm a bit more lenient on auction sites :D

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 27 Jan 2013, 22:56

And legally and technically they are all wrong. Your myflorida link actually gives the real definition if you read through it :)
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

JMike

Post by JMike » 27 Jan 2013, 23:08

EvoLee wrote:I went to the Norfolk VA gun show yesterday and stumbled across a dealer that had 1000 rounds of new ss197 ammo. He was asking $50 per 50 round box. I offered him $40 a box for 200 rounds and got shot down.

No! If factory ammo norm prices are a $1 a round, this platform is screwed.

You did the right thing by not buying. $40 a box is generous. Anything more is highway robbery!

Put it in the safe and shoot something else. Keep an eye on ammo costs and if, in six months things haven't gotten back to .40-50 cent a round; think about abandoning the platform. Thats what I am planning on.

JMike

Post by JMike » 27 Jan 2013, 23:13

flyingirish04 wrote:And legally and technically they are all wrong. Your myflorida link actually gives the real definition if you read through it :)
hmmm

ROCKETW19

Post by ROCKETW19 » 27 Jan 2013, 23:54

he was greedy! I live in California where we get raped on everything and I just found 450 rounds at 40 bucks a box. I bought it cuz I had the cash and I want to shoot this gun now. I know prices will go back down and i will still keep on shootig it. I do feel $40 per box is my max limit on ammo.well I will spend some more on EAs ammo but I wont be shooting much of that I will keep it in the night stand to protect my family and shoot a few just to see

fd57

Post by fd57 » 28 Jan 2013, 02:49

The answer really comes from within (you). How bad do you want to shoot your FSN? Are you saving the 450 rounds for protection/defense/SHTF scenario? Or can you shoot down that inventory to enjoy shooting your FSN?

$50/box is double normal price point. If you happen to find an online retailer with some in stock (such as Bass Pro Shops or Cabelas) you will pay around $25/box. Many online gun retailers are now charging $40 and up per box of SS197.

So you see, only you can decide what it is/was worth to you. If you have the funds and you love to shoot and you don't want to deplete your 450 rounds, then maybe it is/was worth it to you.

Holding out for price leveling and reversal to pre-panic pricing may take a long time and a lot of patience. It is no secret that production of ammo for many was already at capacity. Now there are millions of rounds on backorder. In many cases back orders will be filled before new sales can be made.

With the current going rate of 5.7x28 brass we're expecting to see an increase in the number of accidents (kabooms) with the 5.7x28 cartridge. As the going rate may indicate that more are going to begin reloading this cartridge.

EvoLee

Post by EvoLee » 28 Jan 2013, 06:56

Well, I spotted the ammo as soon as I walked in and after walking around for 1 1/2 hours and returning to see the same 1000 rounds sitting there I really thought my offer of $40 a box would fly. He wouldn't budge or make a counter offer. Instead I got the same BS line about the govt getting ready to ban the gun and the ammo. Yawn. So I walked away.

I was prepared to give $40 because at the last 2 shows I've seen small amounts of the federal ammo going for $32-35 a box. I'm not hording the rounds I have as I actually have shot a box every 3-4 weeks at the range.

I can't explain how my heart gets racing now when I see that little blue and white box. I want more factory stuff so I can really let loose at the range and still have 250+ in case of SHTF. This is very frustrating.

Tackelbarry

Post by Tackelbarry » 02 Feb 2013, 16:00

Like it or not, it is all based on supply and demand. We, supposedly, still live a capitalistic society and you can have what ever you want IF you are willing to shell out the $$. Many people, though not me, INVESTED their money in ammunition. Now a lot of people are trashing these people because they had the fore-thought, took the risk to tie up their money and are now trying to make a return on their investment. How many people on this forum have a retirement plan that they would be happy with if it did not grow in value?
As far as future production, that is made available to the public, it is all speculation. Just like any investment.
Personally, I would buy all I can find because it is obvious some peple did not predict correctly in the past, and in the future, who knows. What seems expensive today will be a deal tommorrow and unavailable the next day. Just food for thought.

fd57

Post by fd57 » 02 Feb 2013, 16:04

You could have never gone wrong investing in ammunition the past 5 years. Hand over fist would be your return.

And to a lesser extent, but still highly liquid, are brass, primers, bullets and powder. Because when there is no more ammo to be found components come next.

VeTTeMaNC486

Post by VeTTeMaNC486 » 02 Feb 2013, 19:42

What bothers me are the people who buy everything in sight NOW to go and sell for 2x what they paid when I just want to buy a fricken box of ammo so I can go to the range. That crap pisses me off. Now that Walmart (as much as I hate giving them my business..) has the 3box/person limit I have actually found a box or two of pistol ammo.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 02 Feb 2013, 20:18

I talked to one LGS, he said the only way he can keep ammo in stock is charge a lot for it. Otherwise his shop would basically be bare & he'd have to close up.
I'm still not happy about the increase in prices but I guess that makes some sense.

ROCKETW19

Post by ROCKETW19 » 03 Feb 2013, 01:37

VeTTeMaNC486 wrote:What bothers me are the people who buy everything in sight NOW to go and sell for 2x what they paid when I just want to buy a fricken box of ammo so I can go to the range. That crap pisses me off. Now that Walmart (as much as I hate giving them my business..) has the 3box/person limit I have actually found a box or two of pistol ammo.
yup that is the only thing that bugs me also. If your not in the ammo buisness why try and make cash on it?
buy the ammo and shoot it or let the next guy.
I like to shoot and I like to shoot alot I need ammo,lol

pony_express1973

Post by pony_express1973 » 03 Feb 2013, 03:35

I got some factory stuff from a local guy in my area for 32 a box and thought that was a little pricey guess I should be happy. In the last two weeks I bought 600 rounds from the guy and his prices have not changed. Hopefully they will come down in a few months but you just never know

romer522

Post by romer522 » 03 Feb 2013, 13:33

ROCKETW19 wrote:
VeTTeMaNC486 wrote:What bothers me are the people who buy everything in sight NOW to go and sell for 2x what they paid when I just want to buy a fricken box of ammo so I can go to the range. That crap pisses me off. Now that Walmart (as much as I hate giving them my business..) has the 3box/person limit I have actually found a box or two of pistol ammo.
yup that is the only thing that bugs me also. If your not in the ammo buisness why try and make cash on it?

I fail to see how a person buying ammo cheap and selling it for a profit has anything to do with the problem of not enough ammo being available... They aren't consuming it and are not influencing the ratio of supply and demand.

Fact is that if it were impossible to sell ammo for your so called ridiculous prices, demand would be even higher and ammo would be even harder to come by.

People really need to learn basic economics and start pulling their collective heads out of wherever they have chosen unwisely to place them.

Tackelbarry

Post by Tackelbarry » 03 Feb 2013, 14:10

Well said, romer522.

nickyill

Post by nickyill » 03 Feb 2013, 14:32

...my local source of $39.99 per box ammo is dry....I'm sitting out until something rolls in at reasonable prices or my BassPro back order gets filled. Having a great time with my Steyr 9mm anyway...

VeTTeMaNC486

Post by VeTTeMaNC486 » 03 Feb 2013, 17:17

romer522 wrote:
ROCKETW19 wrote:

I fail to see how a person buying ammo cheap and selling it for a profit has anything to do with the problem of not enough ammo being available... They aren't consuming it and are not influencing the ratio of supply and demand.

Fact is that if it were impossible to sell ammo for your so called ridiculous prices, demand would be even higher and ammo would be even harder to come by.

People really need to learn basic economics and start pulling their collective heads out of wherever they have chosen unwisely to place them.
A few days before walmart started limiting customers to 3boxes/day a guy came in about bought 1400 dollars worth. He bought everything. To say that is not affecting the supply (atleast around in my parts of the woods) is ridiculous. Theres only like 3 or 4 places to buy ammo where I live. One of the places is selling tapco ar mags for 80 dollars a piece. ( the shelf is still full btw). I will not be back in their shop, nor will I be back in the shop an hour away that has fs2000s for 8500 bucks. No thanks. However you are welcome to go shopping at all these scumbag places like CTD if you want. I for one will never give them another dime of my business.

FN574me

Post by FN574me » 03 Feb 2013, 18:00

Supply and demand it probably is, however there are some suppliers sitting on stock, releasing it slowly because they can and have seen the spike. Nothing we can do about it.

I go to the range twice a month and cycle through about 150 rounds each visit. I still have some ammo at the good old $20+ or something pricepoint, but I've had to recently buy some more at what I consider way high.

Yes prices will eventually come down, but it'll take time. IMHO some suppliers will keep things rationed and release slowly to keep riding the wave.

My 2 cents.
P.S.:As far as banning the FiveseveN, no way. It just ain't gonna happen. Don't be intimidated and don't let that scare you. Our CA senator D. Feinstein beating her chest and going all out on a war path, hasn't included our beloved platform in her candy list. She has tried before and failed, she will fail again.

ROCKETW19

Post by ROCKETW19 » 03 Feb 2013, 19:09

romer522 wrote:
ROCKETW19 wrote:

problem is I do not wanna pay the price they are asking. and yes the ratio is all jacked up with greedy mongers. so by you buying up all the ammo at a price i am willing to pay then since I cant get any you up the price to make a buck. thats whats wrong now I cant shoot cuz of your greed. sure ya we live in a free world or what every you gonna come back and say but that dont mean I have to like what is going on.

ROCKETW19

Post by ROCKETW19 » 03 Feb 2013, 19:16

VeTTeMaNC486 wrote:
romer522 wrote:
ROCKETW19 wrote:

A few days before walmart started limiting customers to 3boxes/day a guy came in about bought 1400 dollars worth. He bought everything. To say that is not affecting the supply (atleast around in my parts of the woods) is ridiculous. Theres only like 3 or 4 places to buy ammo where I live. One of the places is selling tapco ar mags for 80 dollars a piece. ( the shelf is still full btw). I will not be back in their shop, nor will I be back in the shop an hour away that has fs2000s for 8500 bucks. No thanks. However you are welcome to go shopping at all these scumbag places like CTD if you want. I for one will never give them another dime of my business.
I agree 100% buying 1400 bucks of ammo is alot but I seen worse My LGS had a guy go in and buy 10K worth of ARs Aks ect ect. I bet you anything he relisted it somewhere to make a buck. doing <profanity> like this makes the prices effected forever also
remember the sagia S12 shotgun used to cost 3-400 bucks and some jack a$$ spread a rumor they were gonna be banned a huge panic buying spree on them prices went up to 1000$ rumor was prover to be false but now they cost 600-700$ why nothing changed other than they seen people will pay it. same thing is gonna happen to our ammo watch you will see