Gemtec G5 vs Liberty Constitution

Forum for discussing NFA firearms and accessories such as suppressors, SBR and full-auto goodies.
leonidas311

Gemtec G5 vs Liberty Constitution

Post by leonidas311 » 16 Sep 2010, 20:37

I want to go with either of these cans for my SBR PS90. Suggestions or comments are welcome.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Re: Gemtec G5 vs Liberty Constitution

Post by panzermk2 » 16 Sep 2010, 21:01

Did you see this thread?

http://99.172.28.100/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8215" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 16 Sep 2010, 21:17

If it were up to me, I would completely ignore the few decibels that may separate each and pick up the Liberty for the simple fact you can take it apart so putting it on a 22lr is no problem.

leonidas311

Post by leonidas311 » 17 Sep 2010, 06:43

I should have properly introduced myself and yes I did see the other thread. Seemed to be turning into a handgun thread a bit. Although I do lust for that python :)

I already own a Gemtec outback 2 which does work pretty well. The damn G5 is twice the price of the liberty and I just wonder if it is worth the money.

Zhurdan

Post by Zhurdan » 17 Sep 2010, 06:48

leonidas311 wrote: I already own a Gemtec outback 2 which does work pretty well. The damn G5 is twice the price of the liberty and I just wonder if it is worth the money.
G5 worth it how? I own one, I love it! It's a little difficult to clean, timewise, but I just soak it, blow it out with an air compressor and it's good to go.

As far as sound suppression, I don't have any hard data in dB's but it works just fine for my applications (which are to make me giggle and smile when I shoot it). Sure, it is expensive, but the quick disconnect feature is fraking awesome. I currently use it on two AR's and my SBR'd PS90. I'm waiting on another QD flash hider to put it on my 10.5" AR.

leonidas311

Post by leonidas311 » 17 Sep 2010, 07:23

Zhurdan wrote:
leonidas311 wrote: I already own a Gemtec outback 2 which does work pretty well. The damn G5 is twice the price of the liberty and I just wonder if it is worth the money.
G5 worth it how? I own one, I love it! It's a little difficult to clean, timewise, but I just soak it, blow it out with an air compressor and it's good to go.

As far as sound suppression, I don't have any hard data in dB's but it works just fine for my applications (which are to make me giggle and smile when I shoot it). Sure, it is expensive, but the quick disconnect feature is fraking awesome. I currently use it on two AR's and my SBR'd PS90. I'm waiting on another QD flash hider to put it on my 10.5" AR.
I think Ive decided to save up for the G5 because now if I buy the liberty I am going to say "Damn I should have just waited". I even heard in a gun shop that the sales guy said he was on Seal team 21 (Green Cell) while in the "shit" it was the best :lmao:

In all seriousness I am going to save up as I know its quality and I do like the quick detach for my AR/MSAR..

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 17 Sep 2010, 07:29

Since you already have a .22lr suppressor, you might want to look into the ACC M4-2000 as well as the Gemtech. It meters a little better, weighs a little less, and is almost the same price

PGT

Post by PGT » 18 Jan 2011, 16:38

do you need the tax stamp for the gun or for the can? i.e., swapping the can to different guns (provided its compatible of course)...one stamp per gun or one per can. legal barrel lengths obviously.
OD PS90 USG, FDE FiveSeven, Ruger/VQ 10-22, Sig 522 Classic, Mossberg 500 Persuader and Saiga 308v21

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 18 Jan 2011, 16:50

The tax stamp is for the can only. The can's serial number is what is listed on the form.

Yes, it is allowed to use one can for different guns
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

romer522

Post by romer522 » 18 Jan 2011, 17:08

I love my G5, never used it on a 5.7 weapon but based on what it sounds like on an AR15 I have to imagine you would be more than happy with it.

If you wait until late April to order there is a very good chance Gemtech would pay the $200 transfer fee for you, they have ran the promo for the last couple years and last year they expanded it out to a wide variety of cans including the Sandstorm I picked up at that time. Takes a good chunk of the $$ difference away.

I'm not knocking the liberty can, it just doesn't make any sense to me why anyone would want a can designed for .22lr through 5.56. Even if you can take it apart to clean the lead out from 22LR its still going to make more sense for 90% of people to just by a cheaper dedicated 22LR can for the 22s so your not hanging an extra 20oz off the end of your gun that you don't need to be in that situation, and if you shoot any volume of 22lr through it you would pretty much have to clean it before 5.56 use anyways.

Now, a user-serviceable can rated up to 5.7 makes more sense because you don't end up with a huge weight on your 22LR guns, but you won't have 5.56 capability.

It all comes down to what guns you may or may not want to use it on, but I'd either go with a 22-5.7 can, or a 5.7-5.56 can, which one of the new mini 5.56 cans would be great at, though more expensive. (the TREK and TREK-T have piqued my interest and I have a G5 already)

Either way I would wait until April to buy a new suppressor, not only to see what Gemtech offers this year but also to see if any other manufacturers try to combat it with an offer of their own as Gemtech sold a butt-load of cans last year during the promo.

PGT

Post by PGT » 18 Jan 2011, 17:16

Rapier1772 wrote:The tax stamp is for the can only. The can's serial number is what is listed on the form.

awesome. I'd like to SBR both my PS90 and my Sig 522 but only buy a single can.
OD PS90 USG, FDE FiveSeven, Ruger/VQ 10-22, Sig 522 Classic, Mossberg 500 Persuader and Saiga 308v21

Esteves
Wiki Moderator
custom title: Shhh!

Post by Esteves » 18 Jan 2011, 18:53

PGT wrote:do you need the tax stamp for the gun or for the can? i.e., swapping the can to different guns (provided its compatible of course)...one stamp per gun or one per can. legal barrel lengths obviously.
PGT wrote:
Rapier1772 wrote:The tax stamp is for the can only. The can's serial number is what is listed on the form.

Just to be clear, that adds up to three tax stamps, one each for the SBRs and one for the suppressor.
--
S
© 2004-2019 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

PGT

Post by PGT » 19 Jan 2011, 07:20

Esteves wrote:
PGT wrote:do you need the tax stamp for the gun or for the can? i.e., swapping the can to different guns (provided its compatible of course)...one stamp per gun or one per can. legal barrel lengths obviously.
PGT wrote:

Just to be clear, that adds up to three tax stamps, one each for the SBRs and one for the suppressor.
Yes, that was understood. It was the can itself that I had the question about...(i.e. $400 per gun to go SBR and suppressed)

soap_box

Post by soap_box » 19 Jan 2011, 07:28

I own 2 yankee hill, 1 B&T, 2 SWR and 3 gemtech cans. I have people ask me quite often which is my favorite brand and I will have to say that each can I own is my favorite for its intended use. I use my swr spectre on my 5.7 and my p90 with great results. Is there another can that is quieter for that application.....I'm sure there is but I am not a professional operator clearing rooms in some remote country under the cover of darkness, however, it is very easy to get wrapped up in that ideology. I like to shoot without hearing protection at my local outdoor range and go pig hunting pretending I am a sniper on some clandestine mission in the woods. I will say that, from my experience, gemtech has great customer support and yankee does not. I have never used liberty and cannot comment on any aspect of them or their product. I do not own a g5 but do own a HVT and will qualify that the quick disconnect feature is very impressive. One thing to look at whenever purchasing a can is, how many guns am I going to put it on? I own multiple ar rifles and the yankee thread adapter/flash hider is $78 and the gemtech is $95-100 ea. Multiply the difference by 5 and you will see my point, though a minor one. Another example is the yankee cobra can I own in .45. I use this on a dozen pistols ranging from 9mm, .40 and .45. Each universal adapter is $18 while a different threaded piston for a gemtech blackside is $55-150. However the sound signature from the blackside is much nicer and quieter than the cobra in .45. I truly enjoy my blackside but only use it on a few guns.