Suppressing a PS90 without SBR

Forum for discussing NFA firearms and accessories such as suppressors, SBR and full-auto goodies.
Post Reply
Pralix
Junior Member
Posts: 29
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 09:41

Suppressing a PS90 without SBR

Post by Pralix » 03 Apr 2011, 08:52

I live in WA state and it looks like we will be able to both own and use a suppressor here. Back in 1994, the state legislature banned SBRs. I am wondering if there is a way to keep the 16" barrel yet have a suppressor that doesn't look funky sticking out at the end. I am not an expert on suppressors by any means but had an idea of a new barrel shroud and barrel that was ported and a custom suppressor would screw over that. In the end it would look like any other PS90 SBR with a suppressor. I'm not even sure that it is possible to port such a small caliber barrel.

Any thoughts on this?

User avatar
Rapier1772
Global Moderator
Posts: 12313
Joined: 20 Aug 2008, 09:00
Location: American Falls, ID

Re: Suppressing a PS90 without SBR

Post by Rapier1772 » 03 Apr 2011, 12:17

You know the PS90 is actually a barrel within a barrel right? Porting that would be very tricky (I would think). I am trying to imagine what you are describing and it certainly sounds funky, no idea on if it is even possible (with $$ reason)

You might try PMing romer522. He lives in WA and seems to be fairly knowledgeable about what is going on up there, including NFA items such as suppressors.
Last edited by Rapier1772 on 03 Apr 2011, 15:12, edited 1 time in total.
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

User avatar
Esteves
Wiki Moderator
Posts: 3160
Joined: 20 Aug 2008, 10:23
custom title: Shhh!
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: Suppressing a PS90 without SBR

Post by Esteves » 03 Apr 2011, 14:04

Various people have talked about integral suppressors for the PS90, but no one has produced one yet.

Another approach was discussed in this thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1187&hilit=shorter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Basically, the SBX-style shroud allows the carbine to avoid the SBR classification, and the suppressor fits inside the shroud.

A third approach would be to silver-solder everything together after going the SBR route and adding a suppressor that brings the assembled firearm up to the minimum length requirement.
--
S
© 2005-2017 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

PainKillaX
Senior Member
Posts: 3198
Joined: 08 Nov 2009, 21:01

Re: Suppressing a PS90 without SBR

Post by PainKillaX » 03 Apr 2011, 14:34

Nice to see someone else from WA (even though you've been here longer). I'll have too look around, WA has some weird rules on cans if I recall correctly. Something like you can own and affix it but it's a gross mis-demeanor to actually fire with it affixed...

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.250" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(1) Every person who:...(c) Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm,
...is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.

Pralix
Junior Member
Posts: 29
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 09:41

Re: Suppressing a PS90 without SBR

Post by Pralix » 04 Apr 2011, 09:06

Rapier1772 wrote:You know the PS90 is actually a barrel within a barrel right? Porting that would be very tricky (I would think). I am trying to imagine what you are describing and it certainly sounds funky, no idea on if it is even possible (with $$ reason)

You might try PMing romer522. He lives in WA and seems to be fairly knowledgeable about what is going on up there, including NFA items such as suppressors.
Never said it would be easy or cheap. I did find that people have designed created setups as I have described but not for the PS90.

http://sub-silentsuppressors.com/?page_id=123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I couldn't use that exact design but I think something could be done. I would prefer an easily removable solution. With tools the suppressed barrel assembly could be switched out with a regular barrel assembly.
PainKillaX wrote:Nice to see someone else from WA (even though you've been here longer). I'll have too look around, WA has some weird rules on cans if I recall correctly. Something like you can own and affix it but it's a gross mis-demeanor to actually fire with it affixed...
The bill to fully legalize suppressor use in WA state has passed the house and senate with overwhelming support. It is on it's way to the governor's desk. Now there is talk about doing the same thing for SBRs. Not sure if I am going to hold my breath for that since that was part of the '94 state AWB.

I guess I need to invest in a nice gun safe since I will be getting suppressors for my FS2000 and HK USP Tactical (finally a use for my threaded barrel!).

PainKillaX
Senior Member
Posts: 3198
Joined: 08 Nov 2009, 21:01

Re: Suppressing a PS90 without SBR

Post by PainKillaX » 04 Apr 2011, 09:15

Pralix wrote:
PainKillaX wrote:Nice to see someone else from WA (even though you've been here longer). I'll have too look around, WA has some weird rules on cans if I recall correctly. Something like you can own and affix it but it's a gross mis-demeanor to actually fire with it affixed...
The bill to fully legalize suppressor use in WA state has passed the house and senate with overwhelming support. It is on it's way to the governor's desk. Now there is talk about doing the same thing for SBRs. Not sure if I am going to hold my breath for that since that was part of the '94 state AWB.
Oh hell yes. I'll hold my breath :laugh:

romer522
Senior Member
Posts: 2494
Joined: 20 Aug 2008, 09:04
Location: WA

Re: Suppressing a PS90 without SBR

Post by romer522 » 04 Apr 2011, 15:33

No need to hold your breath they were both veto proof majorities its only a matter of time now.

I'll try and post back later but a suppressed non sbr ps90 isn't very easy to do. To keep proper oal your going to have to look at a longer barrel if I remember correctly.

KTR03
Junior Member
Posts: 1
Joined: 08 May 2011, 08:30

Re: Suppressing a PS90 without SBR

Post by KTR03 » 08 May 2011, 08:43

Hey There,

First post. I too live in Washington State. While we may get SBRs in the next session, it is likely going to be a multi year effort. I got a ps90 yesterday (black USG). I also have a SWR Spectre on the way... I've been pursuing the whole SBX style barrel shroud for a couple of ARs and an UZI. Uzi is the easiest. AR is not that bad either. Obviously the PS90 barrel within a barrel make that more complicated. I pinged high dessert folks and got no response.
TROS said it was possible but they were too busy.

I'll keep digging and report back.

jhjenkins4th
Junior Member
Posts: 14
Joined: 23 May 2011, 10:53

Re: Suppressing a PS90 without SBR

Post by jhjenkins4th » 08 Jul 2011, 11:30

I know this post is old, so sorry to bring it back to life but I didn't ever see anyone really propose a good solution to your problem. If an SBR is not legal in your state, and you want to suppress a PS90, take a look at the following link: http://www.hi-desertdog.com/index.php?_ ... oductId=14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was wanting to suppress the PS90, but wasn't sure if I wanted to lose 200fps in muzzle velocity. I ended up going the SBR route in the end, but at least I knew there were options. I hope this helps you or anyone else out there with a similar question.

User avatar
Rapier1772
Global Moderator
Posts: 12313
Joined: 20 Aug 2008, 09:00
Location: American Falls, ID

Re: Suppressing a PS90 without SBR

Post by Rapier1772 » 08 Jul 2011, 11:51

Welcome to the forum, a few people here have had some bad luck with hi desert but I don't know how common it is overall. Thanks for the info.
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

User avatar
MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator
Posts: 7026
Joined: 27 Aug 2008, 12:44
custom title: Sweeper
Location: Spokane, WA
Contact:

Re: Suppressing a PS90 without SBR

Post by MrSlippyFist » 08 Jul 2011, 11:56

jhjenkins4th wrote:I know this post is old, so sorry to bring it back to life but I didn't ever see anyone really propose a good solution to your problem. If an SBR is not legal in your state, and you want to suppress a PS90, take a look at the following link: http://www.hi-desertdog.com/index.php?_ ... oductId=14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was wanting to suppress the PS90, but wasn't sure if I wanted to lose 200fps in muzzle velocity. I ended up going the SBR route in the end, but at least I knew there were options. I hope this helps you or anyone else out there with a similar question.

If you could get Hi-Desert Dog on the phone and confirm that they either have the barrels, or are currently making a batch - then I would go for it. Otherwise it isn't worth the hassle. You can take the stock barrel flash hider off and have an adapter fabricated, that would probably be cheaper and quicker.
Embrace the Suck

User avatar
panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Posts: 11645
Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 15:51
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.
Contact:

Re: Suppressing a PS90 without SBR

Post by panzermk2 » 08 Jul 2011, 12:33

I can tell you there is a company working on a can that goes over the stock barrel and fits flush. The baffle tube surrounds and runs backwards over the stock PS90 barrel.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz
Image

User avatar
jmz5
Site Admin
Posts: 11105
Joined: 18 Aug 2008, 21:26

Re: Suppressing a PS90 without SBR

Post by jmz5 » 08 Jul 2011, 15:30

Red Jacket?
كاف

User avatar
panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Posts: 11645
Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 15:51
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.
Contact:

Re: Suppressing a PS90 without SBR

Post by panzermk2 » 08 Jul 2011, 19:56

Nope. They are testing our SS ammo. Not only does the baffle system changes the back pressure it is shorter barrel the a 16.5 with a can screwed on. It seems with their 16.5 suppressor system 10.5 EA SS is the way to go.

But they are testing and I may have to make a custom loading for them.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz
Image

slimpikins
Junior Member
Posts: 21
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 13:00

Re: Suppressing a PS90 without SBR

Post by slimpikins » 02 Oct 2011, 06:16

I have designed this suppressor and have been testing it with loads from EA and have tested it with other available Sub Sonic loads along with super sonic blue tip FN ammo.

It is a relex suppressor which slides over the 16 inch barrel and extends only about an inch beyond the flash hider; the look is just like a screw on suppressor on a SBR, only nicer. I have a very proprietary baffle system which works very well from what I have seen thus far. We tested it against a well known standard screw on suppressor on a 16 inch AR 57 upper and my design is significantly quieter using sub sonic ammunition and with blue tip super sonic FN ammunition, it reduces the noise factor by about 2/3. I can shoot standard off the shelf blue tip without hearing protection. Sub sonic sounds like a pellet gun, very pleasant to shoot.

The can is a quick 1/4 turn disconnect titanium device which can be installed or removed in 2 seconds for easy attachment and removal for cleaning the can or barrel.

My initial parameter was to build a suppressor to use with off the shelf super sonic and to be able enjoying shooting without hearing protection or neighbor disturbance. This has been achieved. However I did not expect this to be superior to 'standard' suppressors with sub sonic ammunition and that has been the big surprise!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest