AR-57 as an alternative to the PS-90

Discuss rifles chambered for the 5.7x28mm; P90, PS90, and AR57.
CPTKILLER
custom title: CPT Killer

AR-57 as an alternative to the PS-90

Post by CPTKILLER » 25 Feb 2016, 12:29

This is one alternative to the PS90 but doesn't appeal to me. Reliability and etc. is unknown for the AR-57.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqx7UKvnIN0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1njDws ... 6yfWX9GyTg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsshR6mECjo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll let AR-57 owners comment. I don't trust most gun writers.

grimmond
Gold Member

Re: AR-57 as an alternative to the PS-90

Post by grimmond » 25 Feb 2016, 15:11

What is it in particular that you would like to know about it? I have a gen-2 12" upper. It has worked flawlessly for me right out of the box. The only thing I would change on it is to remove most of the tacktifag side rails.
"Let us never forget that good intelligence saves American lives and protects our freedom."
-Ronald Reagan

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator
custom title: Sweeper

Post by MrSlippyFist » 01 Mar 2016, 13:03

It's been out for a while. General reliability is more or less known. I had one for a while, It worked well enough.
Embrace the Suck

CPTKILLER
custom title: CPT Killer

Post by CPTKILLER » 02 Mar 2016, 15:28

Thanks for the comments folks. I know the AR/M16/M4/CAR15 platform. I carried them in combat as a very active infantry company commander.

Your views on the AR-57 is more meaningful to me than gun writers. Thanks!

Kiran04

Post by Kiran04 » 10 Mar 2016, 09:03

AR57 functions just fine. I own both guns. The operation of the AR57 is extremely simple. It's blow back with the extractor in the 6 o'clock position over the mag well. Very little can go wrong with it if all parts are up to spec, which they usually are. Functions great with factory ammo. Reloading 5.7, as we all know, is very finicky. Nature of the beast. AR57 does have some advantages over PS90. AR platform means AR accessories. Always a plus. AR57 has a 1/2 x 28 thread on the barrel. PS90 has no threads to speak of, so adding muzzle attachments is definitely easier on the AR57. AR57 is generally cheaper, though PS90s have come way down from even a year ago. Both are great gun platforms. Obviously the FN gun comes with FN support and the FN guarantee, which is a huge plus. I don't really favor one over the other. I'm going to suppress my AR57 because it has the threaded barrel, but I'm still conflicted over which gun I am going to try varmint hunting with. They both feel and shoot great.

DonTom

Post by DonTom » 20 Mar 2016, 17:51

Kiran04 wrote:AR57 functions just fine. I own both guns. The operation of the AR57 is extremely simple. It's blow back with the extractor in the 6 o'clock position over the mag well. Very little can go wrong with it if all parts are up to spec, which they usually are. Functions great with factory ammo. Reloading 5.7, as we all know, is very finicky. Nature of the beast. AR57 does have some advantages over PS90. AR platform means AR accessories. Always a plus. AR57 has a 1/2 x 28 thread on the barrel. PS90 has no threads to speak of, so adding muzzle attachments is definitely easier on the AR57. AR57 is generally cheaper, though PS90s have come way down from even a year ago. Both are great gun platforms. Obviously the FN gun comes with FN support and the FN guarantee, which is a huge plus. I don't really favor one over the other. I'm going to suppress my AR57 because it has the threaded barrel, but I'm still conflicted over which gun I am going to try varmint hunting with. They both feel and shoot great.
My AR57 works fine, but I ordered 50 round magazines that don't seem to fit all that well. I had to take a rubber mallet to get them in! They have gotten a bit better with some wear, but still very tight. I cannot remember who I ordered those from. They look the same, but they did NOT come in FNH boxes, so perhaps they were not made by FNH. But they function perfectly otherwise. I am kinda new to anything 5.7, but my AR57 has not jammed a single time with any magazine in the few hundred rounds I have fired with it so far.

I recently ordered some FNH 30 round magazines which look exactly the same, seem to measure the same, but these 30 rounders click right in and out without any force, unlike my 50 rounders. And these 30 rounders came in FNH boxes.

Right now, I own the FN 5-7 pistol and the AR57. I will soon order a PS-90. Seems nobody stocks these in the Reno area. .Or perhaps they sell too fast here.

I went for the AR57 upper first just for the convenience. I had it shipped direct to my home.. I already own many AR-15's so the lower was no issue.

-Don- Reno, NV

Armed Eye Doc

Post by Armed Eye Doc » 29 Mar 2016, 08:37

DonTom wrote:My AR57 works fine, but I ordered 50 round magazines that don't seem to fit all that well. I had to take a rubber mallet to get them in! They have gotten a bit better with some wear, but still very tight. I cannot remember who I ordered those from. They look the same, but they did NOT come in FNH boxes, so perhaps they were not made by FNH. But they function perfectly otherwise. I am kinda new to anything 5.7, but my AR57 has not jammed a single time with any magazine in the few hundred rounds I have fired with it so far.

I recently ordered some FNH 30 round magazines which look exactly the same, seem to measure the same, but these 30 rounders click right in and out without any force, unlike my 50 rounders. And these 30 rounders came in FNH boxes.

Right now, I own the FN 5-7 pistol and the AR57. I will soon order a PS-90. Seems nobody stocks these in the Reno area. .Or perhaps they sell too fast here.

I went for the AR57 upper first just for the convenience. I had it shipped direct to my home.. I already own many AR-15's so the lower was no issue.

-Don- Reno, NV
The AR57 website recommends only FNH or their own mags. This is from their webpage.
Buyer beware: Intended and warrantied for use with FNH and AR57 magazines only. Other after market magazines such as "ATI" or "KCI" have proven to fail and do not meet the same standards, quality or specs.
I have seen aftermarket mags for $10 at times, but don't know that I would rely on them.

DonTom

Post by DonTom » 01 Apr 2016, 18:28

Armed Eye Doc wrote:The AR57 website recommends only FNH or their own mags. This is from their webpage.
Buyer beware: Intended and warrantied for use with FNH and AR57 magazines only. Other after market magazines such as "ATI" or "KCI" have proven to fail and do not meet the same standards, quality or specs. I have seen aftermarket mags for $10 at times, but don't know that I would rely on them.
Yeah, I noticed that later. The strange thing is that I cannot tell them apart in any way other than for the fact that the FNH mags fit in better into the AR-57. But these 50 rounders work perfectly after they are once in the AR57, just extremely tight to get in the AR57, but they fit just like the FNH mags into my brand new PS-90. And they seem to fit better into the AR-57 with more use. They must be a fraction of a mm longer than the FNH's when they are new. At least now I can get them in and out of my AR-57 by hand.

-Don- (now in SSF, CA)

Kiran04

Post by Kiran04 » 02 Apr 2016, 10:35

DonTom wrote:
Armed Eye Doc wrote:The AR57 website recommends only FNH or their own mags. This is from their webpage.
Buyer beware: Intended and warrantied for use with FNH and AR57 magazines only. Other after market magazines such as "ATI" or "KCI" have proven to fail and do not meet the same standards, quality or specs. I have seen aftermarket mags for $10 at times, but don't know that I would rely on them.
Yeah, I noticed that later. The strange thing is that I cannot tell them apart in any way other than for the fact that the FNH mags fit in better into the AR-57. But these 50 rounders work perfectly after they are once in the AR57, just extremely tight to get in the AR57, but they fit just like the FNH mags into my brand new PS-90. And they seem to fit better into the AR-57 with more use. They must be a fraction of a mm longer than the FNH's when they are new. At least now I can get them in and out of my AR-57 by hand.

-Don- (now in SSF, CA)
I'll bet if you measure them you'll find they're just a hair too long. I have both AR57 and FNH P90 mags. Both work find, but the AR57 aren't as clear as the FNH. They are smokier and have the AR57 logo. FN mags have no logo on them at all. Also FN mags load easier, but now that I have Man Kave rollers on every magazine they all load and feed great. Best upgrade to your mags you can get. Highly recommended.

DonTom

Post by DonTom » 02 Apr 2016, 23:45

Kiran04 wrote:I'll bet if you measure them you'll find they're just a hair too long. I have both AR57 and FNH P90 mags. Both work find, but the AR57 aren't as clear as the FNH.
Well, the off brand has to be a little larger to not fit in, but I cannot see any differences at all between the magazines. Both makes are even marked exactly the same and are equally as clear.
Kiran04 wrote: They are smokier and have the AR57 logo. FN mags have no logo on them at all. Also FN mags load easier, but now that I have Man Kave rollers on every magazine they all load and feed great. Best upgrade to your mags you can get. Highly recommended.
Thanks for that info. I didn't know about the Man Kave Rollers. I will pick up a bunch of them.

-Don- SSF, CA