PS90 Bulged Barrel

Discuss rifles chambered for the 5.7x28mm; P90, PS90, and AR57.
Buffman
Silver Member

PS90 Bulged Barrel

Post by Buffman » 15 Dec 2015, 13:10

Posting here FYI:

I'm in the process of adding the HTA shroud to my PS90. I was inspecting the barrel, and noticed what looks like a bulge in the barrel? I measure the diameter of the barrel @ .465", but in this one spot it's .474". My PS90 has seen limited use over the years, and the only subsonic I've ever fired out of the gun was factory SB193, and when I did that I accounted for all rounds fired (velocity test).

Hard to see but it's about 1/2" down from where the threads end:

inside of barrel:

I mean it's entirely possible I had some other bore obstruction, but I always finish any cleaning phase with a bore snake, so it's not like I left a patch down there.

Thanks to Troublesx10 I got a replacement barrel. :D Now for the goods. Time to play cut up :)

So that black ring? It was carbon deposits. It's hard to see from the pictures, but there's a definite increase in the bore diameter there. Maybe not much, but it was enough for the brush not to be able to clean it off.

Anyways, I guess I can recoup my costs off selling the barrel for SBR project :D

NLVMike

Re: PS90 Bulged Barrel

Post by NLVMike » 17 Dec 2015, 07:56

Impressive pictures and cut work. Am I right to assume the carbon buildup came after the bulge appeared? or was it something that caused the bulge?

Buffman
Silver Member

Re: PS90 Bulged Barrel

Post by Buffman » 17 Dec 2015, 09:01

carbon was probably build up from after the barrel bulged. What caused the bulge no idea.