Putting a red dot on a fixed sight

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

jhoser2000

Putting a red dot on a fixed sight

Post by jhoser2000 » 27 Jan 2011, 09:17

Hello, Im new to the forum I have been on lurking through the forum looking for answers and educating myself about the FiveseveN. I recently purchased one for a pretty good deal($780 used missing one mag). It is a fixed sight style. My question is I am shooting 197 out of it and it shoots about 4 inch's low, is this normal? My other question is how hard is it to put a Burris or one like it on a 5.7 with the fixed sights? I did do some search's but didn't find any answers I do not know if i was putting the correct key words in. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Re: Putting a red dot on a fixed sight

Post by blueorison » 27 Jan 2011, 10:13

Welcome to our forum!

shooting ss197 out of a fixed sight sometimes does get you low grouping. Some think it is sighted in for ss195. At what distance are you shooting it?

For your red dot questions,

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8623" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

scroll down to Mini Sight Mount.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

jhoser2000

Post by jhoser2000 » 27 Jan 2011, 11:26

I was shooting at about 25 ft and 50 ft. At the 50ft mark I had to hold it about 4-6 inchs above the target to hit it and at the 25' i was holding about 4 inchs high on the bulls eye.

Never Enough

Post by Never Enough » 27 Jan 2011, 15:23

jhoser2000, I purchased my 5.7 a couple years ago with adjustable sights and yes the ss197 does shoot low and to the left compared with other ammo.If your looking for a red dot sight you should call Robert at TrueHunterSupply.com he is very helpful and his prices are reasonable just talk to him you will see what I mean. I love my red dot sight, it made my 5.7 twice as fun to shoot

ShockedNKansas
custom title: G0 SH0X

Post by ShockedNKansas » 11 Feb 2011, 11:51

Never Enough wrote:jhoser2000, I purchased my 5.7 a couple years ago with adjustable sights and yes the ss197 does shoot low and to the left compared with other ammo.If your looking for a red dot sight you should call Robert at TrueHunterSupply.com he is very helpful and his prices are reasonable just talk to him you will see what I mean. I love my red dot sight, it made my 5.7 twice as fun to shoot
I checked out that website you mentioned and they have a lot of cool red dot sights. A quick noob question: do aftermarket red dot sights activate on a partial trigger depress (like you see in the movies) or is it something you have to turn on and off?
Last edited by ShockedNKansas on 11 Feb 2011, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 11 Feb 2011, 11:55

Firearms seldom work like they do in movies.

You turn the sight on and off to activate the red dots...
Shoot more, worry less.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Post by panzermk2 » 11 Feb 2011, 11:56

FYI EA is adding to or website the choice to have your fixed sight FsN converted over to take our MSM. The package includes the mount and if you send in your red dot sight with your slide I will install it for no additional charge.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

murphies_finest
custom title: King Thread Killer.

Post by murphies_finest » 11 Feb 2011, 12:13

the pistols are sighted for 195, according to Bob but im not quite sure how you sight in a "fixed" sight weapon. now when I had my 57 with a laser on it I set the dot slightly above the front sight post.

ShockedNKansas
custom title: G0 SH0X

Post by ShockedNKansas » 11 Feb 2011, 12:19

panzermk2 wrote:FYI EA is adding to or website the choice to have your fixed sight FsN converted over to take our MSM. The package includes the mount and if you send in your red dot sight with your slide I will install it for no additional charge.
Are there any advantages/disadvantages of fixed/adjustable sights if the goal is to eventually add a red dot?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Post by panzermk2 » 11 Feb 2011, 12:22

ShockedNKansas wrote:
panzermk2 wrote:FYI EA is adding to or website the choice to have your fixed sight FsN converted over to take our MSM. The package includes the mount and if you send in your red dot sight with your slide I will install it for no additional charge.
Are there any advantages/disadvantages of fixed/adjustable sights if the goal is to eventually add a red dot?
Just personal preference. Once your have a MSM mounted though all it takes is removing a screw and sliding a roll pin to swap back to your adjustable three dot sights.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

truehuntersupply

Post by truehuntersupply » 17 Feb 2011, 08:44

You can contact us we carry mounts for Burris FF, Trijicon RMR, Nikko XT
Thanks
Robert
510-393-3260

fleshjunkie
custom title: Does it live?

Post by fleshjunkie » 24 Feb 2011, 21:03

this thread is answering multiple questions i've been looking for across the forum for a while, so wanted to say "thanks!" to jhoser2000 for posting.
i'm a new member to the forum and also new owner of the fiveseven (and newly anointed gun nut altogether - amazing what a home invasion will do for your perceptions).
had the FsN about 3 weeks - went with the all black w/black controls (accusport) and regretting the fixed sights because i've been hitting the exact same issues with the ss197 shooting low and to the left. hooked it up to a chronograph just to make sure there wasn't a velocity/ammo problem - it clocked in at right around 1700 each time. Very glad to hear that this is not uncommon and my FsN isn't kaput.
plan to get in on EA's accurizing and adjustable night sights too (assuming it it possible to convert from fixed to adjustable night - i've read all the threads under EA, but still a little confused on that one). Anyhow, not meaning to hijack the thread - just wanted to pass on a bump for the very helpful info here.

fatherfoof

Post by fatherfoof » 25 Feb 2011, 00:59

Trained a few hundred troopers and put a few SOB's in the ground.Stuck to iron sigts-did my time in the military as well. Guess to keep the forum balanced it requires a few old goats who never used red dots,ff
Please PM Me for LE/Military Access

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 26 Feb 2011, 00:25

There is no substitute for a good pair of irons (or diopters), father. I love my irons and will never think a red dot can fulfill their role.
Shoot more, worry less.

User42

Post by User42 » 26 Feb 2011, 04:54

Having a red dot feels like cheating. I wouldn't have a gun that had only electronic sights, I like to be able to take that off and use irons if it breaks or if I feel like shooting with irons. I think I may get an FNP45 tac, might even trade my fiveseven for one.
If a man dedicates his life to good deeds and the welfare of others, He will die unthanked and unremembered. If he exercises his genius bringing death and misery to billions, his name will echo down through the millennia for a hundred lifetimes.