Need recommendation for leather inside-the-waistband holster

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

2ndAMVa

Need recommendation for leather inside-the-waistband holster

Post by 2ndAMVa » 04 Dec 2010, 14:16

I'd appreciate any recommendation for a leather IWB holster, and please share your experience with it or any comparative experience with other types of holster.
Thank you!

Buffman
Silver Member

Re: Need recommendation for leather inside-the-waistband hol

Post by Buffman » 04 Dec 2010, 14:26

crossbreed supertuck :) althought it's leather and kydex. It's comfortable.

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member
custom title: FNP-45 Cylon

Post by jgreenberg01 » 04 Dec 2010, 14:57

:agree: on the Crossbreed. I switched from a Blade-tech kydex holster and the crossbreed is much more comfortable and stable for all-day carry!
0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

PearlMonte
custom title: Danger Is My Busines

Post by PearlMonte » 04 Dec 2010, 15:20

jgreenberg01 wrote::agree: on the Crossbreed. I switched from a Blade-tech kydex holster and the crossbreed is much more comfortable and stable for all-day carry!
:agree: CrossBreed all the way !!! They even give a discount to NRA members :thumb: I have one for a .38 its awesome

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 04 Dec 2010, 17:08

I use a MTAC for mine. It is similar to the crossbreed (or crossbreed is similar to it?)

I wrote a review on it but of course the crossbreed fanbois polluted that thread too instead of making their own :p
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8419" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

57js

Post by 57js » 04 Dec 2010, 18:04

Buffman wrote:crossbreed supertuck :) althought it's leather and kydex. It's comfortable.
:agree:

I never thought I could conceal the FsN, but I can with the supertuck.

darksidemxer

Post by darksidemxer » 04 Dec 2010, 18:15

im ordering a supertuck for my 5.7 but i use it with my XDM45 and Steyr m40. extremely comfortable and if it can help me conceal a xdm45 on my skinny frame a 5.7 on some1 bigger would be no problem. a couple of the powerplant workers that carry 5.7's told me to try these people. hope this helps.
http://www.c-rusty.com/pages/home.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ccwsupply.biz/RGLFN57.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SHEEPDOG
Gold Member
custom title: A.K.A. DW

Post by SHEEPDOG » 04 Dec 2010, 22:53

The big difference between the Mtac and Crossbreed is that has retention adjustment. It's only important if you don't want your pistol sliding across the bathroom floor. The are both very comfortable, you forget you are wearing them. Pretty good for an IWB holster.

ynoty3k
custom title: Hoplophile

Post by ynoty3k » 04 Dec 2010, 23:44

Rapier1772 wrote:I use a MTAC for mine. It is similar to the crossbreed (or crossbreed is similar to it?)

I wrote a review on it but of course the crossbreed fanbois polluted that thread too instead of making their own :p
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8419" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I can conceal a fullsize 1911, comfortably with a CompTac MTAC, so once I get a USG I'll be getting an MTAC to go with.

Not a fan of the crossbreed because it has those crosses and is not as adjustable as the MTAC.

Another Idea is the Galco Stow-N-Go, its a soft body holster, and I dunno if they make one for the FsN, but I know my buddy who carries glocks is in love with them, and has one for every model.

Never Enough

Post by Never Enough » 05 Dec 2010, 15:19

I would go with the crossbreed , very adjustable with whatever cant you want. The crossbreed belt loops are steel and wont break like the ----- which in very cold weather could snap and if you have trouble with retention, tighten your belt. Who would want to change out your kydex on your leather backing to wear with another gun? Just buy another holster..... also check out http://www.kholster.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you forget you have them on

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 05 Dec 2010, 19:35

Never Enough wrote:I would go with the crossbreed , very adjustable with whatever cant you want. The crossbreed belt loops are steel and wont break like the -----
I assume you are talking about the MTAC? If so, I wear mine almost daily & I have never had a loop break. Even if they did, they are easy to replace. Don't pull the holster out by the loops, get the loops unhooked from the belt & then pull it by the leather. Actually, I just unhook mine & pull it out using the FsN grip w/my thumb pinching the leather in between, The FsN stays in the holster the whole time & there is hardly ever any stress on the loops at all.
Never Enough wrote:If you have trouble with retention, tighten your belt.
We're talking about gun retention in the holster, not holster retention in the pants :ponder: And there is such a thing as having a belt too tight.
Never Enough wrote:Who would want to change out your kydex on your leather backing to wear with another gun?
Where did that part come from? I don't see where anyone suggested that. Both holsters are fit for that specific type of weapon. Crossbreed is rivet on & although the MTAC has screws you would still have to make a new kydex mold that fit the other gun & still be lined up with the retention screws. Its not worth the effort for most people. Ynoty3k was saying he would get another holster, not another kydex form.

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 05 Dec 2010, 20:22

MTAC you can replace the bodies on to use one backing for multiple guns. I like the CBST because the leather does start to form to the gun after awhile, and I figured for the minimal price difference I'll just buy a new holster.

ynoty3k

Post by ynoty3k » 05 Dec 2010, 23:25

NeverEnough. I don't agree with much of what you said, but it's your opinion so what ever.
Rapier1772 wrote:Ynoty3k was saying he would get another holster, not another kydex form.
Correct. and while Comp-Tac does advertise the option to buy many kydex shells and be able to swap them in and out, I would just buy a whole second holster.
Buffman wrote:MTAC you can replace the bodies on to use one backing for multiple guns. I like the CBST because the leather does start to form to the gun after awhile, and I figured for the minimal price difference I'll just buy a new holster.
The leather in my MTAC has molded to my 1911. And from what I can see the fit and finish on the MTAC is leagues ahead of the CBST, and with out the religious symbols forced upon you.

I really can't overstate how nice it is to have adjustable retention on the holster itself. As we all know leather is a natural material and they stretch, so I'd imagine after a while, and certainly after wearing it, the leather in the CBST has time to expand, it's retention gets worse.

Just throwin in my $0.02

darksidemxer

Post by darksidemxer » 06 Dec 2010, 04:56

They include instructions on what to do if u need a tighter retention. And they will also repair it for free.

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 06 Dec 2010, 11:16

Retention on the CBST can be easily adjusted by heating up the kydex and pressing it tighter against the gun. As you said ynoty3k, the leather molds to the gun after enough wear. They give you the adjustable retention screws because as you described, you stick a 1911 (or pick your flavor) body onto the backing that you've worn for a year with another gun, and you're going to need to readjust the retention because of the difference in size of the guns.

New bodies for the MTAC are $50.00. For $30 more I can hvae a second holster that I'll never have to worry about changing the bodies over, loosing or stripping out screws etc. I've wanted to try an MTAC, but they don't make one for the FNP-45. I have no qualms regardless of my religious orientation about what the company uses as it's logos.

I did find another IWB I might give a try though:

http://www.giholsters.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SHEEPDOG
Gold Member

Post by SHEEPDOG » 06 Dec 2010, 22:15

As I posted earlier I actually have two of each of these. I like the horsehide on the CBST and I like the tension adjustment on the MTAC. They are both very comfortable. They both come with a Velcro attachment system that is very secure. This is not just plain velcro when it sticks it's stuck. It takes considerable amount of work to get it off. The velcro takes a little getting used to because it doesn't move period. It is like gluing your holster to your belt. They do not slide or move on the belt. Where you put it ,it stays. You have to take the belt off to adjust it. IMHO the Mtac has better craftsmanship and the CBST is more comfortable. The remolding the Kydex on the CBST is not that easy or effective as on paper. I have changed the shell on my Mtac, sold a gun changed the holster.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 07 Dec 2010, 08:47

Looking at the pics, I don't see velcro on either one. I know my MTAC does not have any velcro

You post this in the right thread swe123? :D

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 07 Dec 2010, 09:51

IIRC you can order velcro clips for them

SHEEPDOG
Gold Member

Post by SHEEPDOG » 07 Dec 2010, 10:41

They sell a belt with velcro inside and velcro clips that attach to the belt. Very discrete.

ynoty3k

Post by ynoty3k » 07 Dec 2010, 13:30

All this great info and 2ndAMVA hasn't even been on since he posted it :facepalm: