Yipee! Got my ammo boxes from EA

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

Post Reply
2ndAMVa
Member
Posts: 266
Joined: 17 Nov 2009, 16:41
Location: Northern Virginia

Yipee! Got my ammo boxes from EA

Post by 2ndAMVa » 04 Aug 2010, 22:08

Got my ammo delivered from EA. Protectors and Xterminators. Can't wait to try them out!
Thanks, EA! I'll try those new-fangled deep-grooved bullets next.

Rick McC
Junior Member
Posts: 24
Joined: 18 Jun 2010, 06:45
Location: Weeki Wachee, Fl

Re: Yipee! Got my ammo boxes from EA

Post by Rick McC » 05 Aug 2010, 11:01

Good news!

I received my ProtecTORS (100 rds) yesterday; and got 100 PenetraTORS last month.

GPAL has really been messing up EA's business by not transfering funds in a timely manner!

I really hope Jay can either get GPAL to provide the service he and his customers need; or get another service that works for him.

Elite Ammunition is a great business with some really great staff. I don't intend to buy high performance 5.7X28 ammo from anyone else.

Take care,

Rick

mistereveready
Junior Member
Posts: 4
Joined: 01 Jun 2010, 11:23
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Yipee! Got my ammo boxes from EA

Post by mistereveready » 05 Aug 2010, 20:31

I got my EA ammunition (protectors) a while back. Their customer support is very kind and helpful. Sadly I haven't used them for anything. Saving them for CCW. I wish I knew of more 5.7 people in my area so I could recommend their products. I hope you have fun, they seem like mighty little pieces of sharpnel.

b4odcmpc
Junior Member
Posts: 18
Joined: 19 Jul 2010, 17:21

Re: Yipee! Got my ammo boxes from EA

Post by b4odcmpc » 07 Aug 2010, 06:26

Just recieved my two boxes of VarminTORS from EA two days ago. Shot 15 of them for group and functioning and both were great. Only one problem... the two mags I had used for those 15 have chipped front portions where the bullet nose points (next to feed ramp). They were not chipped prior to those rounds. Anybody else seen this problem? Of course they are stronger than the SS197 I've shot (new gun-100 shots), but I dont like those chips...

User avatar
Rapier1772
Global Moderator
Posts: 12410
Joined: 20 Aug 2008, 09:00
Location: American Falls, ID

Re: Yipee! Got my ammo boxes from EA

Post by Rapier1772 » 07 Aug 2010, 07:24

b4odcmpc wrote:Just recieved my two boxes of VarminTORS from EA two days ago. Shot 15 of them for group and functioning and both were great. Only one problem... the two mags I had used for those 15 have chipped front portions where the bullet nose points (next to feed ramp). They were not chipped prior to those rounds. Anybody else seen this problem? Of course they are stronger than the SS197 I've shot (new gun-100 shots), but I dont like those chips...
They look anything like what gw45acp posted in this thread?
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2189" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

b4odcmpc
Junior Member
Posts: 18
Joined: 19 Jul 2010, 17:21

Re: Yipee! Got my ammo boxes from EA

Post by b4odcmpc » 07 Aug 2010, 11:16

Yes, almost exactly like that. One is chipped on the right side and one on the left, pretty good chips. I took them apart and could see the impressions of those hollow points in the polymer. This is my second FsN, my first had 700+ rounds of SS197 run though it- no chips. I seen one of those chips fly out while shooting this morning...but no malfunctions.

User avatar
panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Posts: 11659
Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 15:51
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.
Contact:

Re: Yipee! Got my ammo boxes from EA

Post by panzermk2 » 07 Aug 2010, 16:13

They all do it sooner or later and not just with EA ammo. Of the 25 I have about half have done it and the others haven't. Can't explain why. Some of the mag are new OEM and some are the ones that came with my first Fsn and they are fine. Which they shouldn't be since they have seen the most hot ammo. I paint a code on all my mags so I can track them.

It will not affect the operation of the mag.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz
Image

b4odcmpc
Junior Member
Posts: 18
Joined: 19 Jul 2010, 17:21

Re: Yipee! Got my ammo boxes from EA

Post by b4odcmpc » 21 Aug 2010, 04:22

Well after 50 rounds of VarminTors through my FsN they cost me two mags. Maybe they would have never malfunctioned in the gun, but I wasn't big on plastic chips fly'n out. Bob at FN replaced those two mags no questions asked, talk about great customer support...Sadly I cannot make myself run anymore of those. To me damaging mags for more performance isn't worth it. I have 1 full box of varmintors left to try in my ps90, I just hope they cycle fine and dont 'pop' the mag like the barnes x load I had last year.

If only FsN mags where steel-lined like glock's things may have been fine....

VITALIY
Member
Posts: 336
Joined: 21 Aug 2008, 20:22
Location: NW subburbs Chicago

Re: Yipee! Got my ammo boxes from EA

Post by VITALIY » 21 Aug 2010, 04:47

Extra power spring will take care of mag .problem. I,ve had same thing with my mags

b4odcmpc
Junior Member
Posts: 18
Joined: 19 Jul 2010, 17:21

Re: Yipee! Got my ammo boxes from EA

Post by b4odcmpc » 24 Aug 2010, 02:13

I suppose a stonger mag spring would help keep those rounds from moving back and forth in the mag when the gun is fired, I may give'em a try. I really like the ability to shoot hotter ammo, but it's kinda like shooting +Ps in other handguns.

Anyone else has had a similar issue?

b4odcmpc
Junior Member
Posts: 18
Joined: 19 Jul 2010, 17:21

Re: Yipee! Got my ammo boxes from EA

Post by b4odcmpc » 04 Sep 2010, 07:11

Well I've just found the time to test my last box of VarminTORs out of my ps 90. The first box went to my FsN, which though reliable, chipped two of my magazines and were replaced by FNH. Out of this full box, 2 were discarded due to feed malfunctions. Two mags were loaded each with 5 rounds, and both times the 2nd shot mis-fed and shoved the bullet into the case. :facepalm:

This post may or may not get replies, but this is my honest review of EA's ammo. Last year a box of X-terminators pop'd the mag and jammed my ps-90 on several attemps to shoot groups. These new Varmintors are stout, good for a bolt action maybe, not so good for FNH.

At a total cost close to 200$ for 150 rounds I can say their price far exceeds their purpose. I have 43 rounds left if any one's interested. I know EA is a forum sponsor, but all customer reviews matter, good or bad.

VeTTeMaNC486
Member
Posts: 400
Joined: 09 Jul 2010, 09:08

Re: Yipee! Got my ammo boxes from EA

Post by VeTTeMaNC486 » 04 Sep 2010, 08:13

b4odcmpc wrote:Well I've just found the time to test my last box of VarminTORs out of my ps 90. The first box went to my FsN, which though reliable, chipped two of my magazines and were replaced by FNH. Out of this full box, 2 were discarded due to feed malfunctions. Two mags were loaded each with 5 rounds, and both times the 2nd shot mis-fed and shoved the bullet into the case. :facepalm:

This post may or may not get replies, but this is my honest review of EA's ammo. Last year a box of X-terminators pop'd the mag and jammed my ps-90 on several attemps to shoot groups. These new Varmintors are stout, good for a bolt action maybe, not so good for FNH.

At a total cost close to 200$ for 150 rounds I can say their price far exceeds their purpose. I have 43 rounds left if any one's interested. I know EA is a forum sponsor, but all customer reviews matter, good or bad.
Have you contacted them about these problems? I have never ordered ammo from them yet but have bought other stuff and they were helpful and answered my questions.

User avatar
panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Posts: 11659
Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 15:51
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.
Contact:

Re: Yipee! Got my ammo boxes from EA

Post by panzermk2 » 04 Sep 2010, 11:53

Yes and I stated I have had mags chip with all ammo including factory FN ammo.

Years ago there was a thread before the forum crashed with all sorts of people posting up pics of their mags chipped by FN factory ammo who had never shot EA ammo.

It does not affect the operation of the mag and I still have, went through them last week, 2 mags that came with my first FsN from years ago. These original mags have seen everything over the years including all sorts of testing. They are intact. I have also had mags recently purchased that chipped with the first mag full of ammo. Before you ask I color code with red paint and silver sharpie markers ALL of my mags so I can track them.

My ammo costs too much. That's fine don't buy it.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz
Image

b4odcmpc
Junior Member
Posts: 18
Joined: 19 Jul 2010, 17:21

Re: Yipee! Got my ammo boxes from EA

Post by b4odcmpc » 04 Sep 2010, 16:09

Sorry to touch any nerves, just stating facts as I have no reason not to be honest. My experiences has led me to believe this ammo though accurate and stout, is just not 100% reliable out of my PS 90. It could'nt make through 5 rounds let alone 50. Same experience I had last year with the barnes-x load at over 1$ a shot. Would have made a killer deer gun. My question is how are some of you getting your ps 90s to function with this stuff, lead tape on the bolt?

Oh, my SS197 count down the (three) of my 5.7s is over 1500 now, with Zero malfunctions, chips flying out, deformed bullets, etc.

ninthinning
Gold Member
Posts: 239
Joined: 20 Dec 2009, 10:59

Re: Yipee! Got my ammo boxes from EA

Post by ninthinning » 05 Sep 2010, 05:28

b4odcmpc,
The problem is your PS90. I have two PS90s. The older model shot white box 195 with no jams or popped up magazine. The newer model PS90 popped the magazine every 10th round when using white box 195. Today I shoot all factory ammo and reloads using a weighted bolt. I do not feel comfortable shooting my PS90s unless the bolt is weighted, even with newer factory ammo. The problem with your pistol magazines chipping is a design flaw in the magazines.
9th
God bless John Browning.

User avatar
panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Posts: 11659
Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 15:51
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.
Contact:

Re: Yipee! Got my ammo boxes from EA

Post by panzermk2 » 05 Sep 2010, 09:41

b4odcmpc wrote:. My question is how are some of you getting your ps 90s to function with this stuff, lead tape on the bolt?
This is why based on the research and testing done by Eric( ninthinning) I have designed a heavier rate reducer. I am waiting on the first batch. It will be something anyone can change and it will increase the weight of the bolt by 2oz. Which based on Eric's testing seems to be the magic number. For full auto PS90 and P90 it will reduce the rate of fire down 100 rounds per minute but in these financially strapped times I don't think that's a bad thing.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz
Image

b4odcmpc
Junior Member
Posts: 18
Joined: 19 Jul 2010, 17:21

Re: Yipee! Got my ammo boxes from EA

Post by b4odcmpc » 07 Sep 2010, 04:01

Thats great! I was hope'n someone would produce one. I still want to hunt with my 90' and those barnes x's. Again, I wasn't try'n to bash ea ammo, I'd love to have a good bolt gun in 5.7 with their ammo. I do agree there is a design flaw in fsn mags also- they need some steel in there. Why can I buy 30$ steel-lined glock mag but no 30$ steel-lined fsn mag :ponder:

What will the rate reducer material be? Tungstun, or just larger size? I will be interested...

VeTTeMaNC486
Member
Posts: 400
Joined: 09 Jul 2010, 09:08

Re: Yipee! Got my ammo boxes from EA

Post by VeTTeMaNC486 » 07 Sep 2010, 06:23

panzermk2 wrote:
b4odcmpc wrote:. My question is how are some of you getting your ps 90s to function with this stuff, lead tape on the bolt?
This is why based on the research and testing done by Eric( ninthinning) I have designed a heavier rate reducer. I am waiting on the first batch. It will be something anyone can change and it will increase the weight of the bolt by 2oz. Which based on Eric's testing seems to be the magic number. For full auto PS90 and P90 it will reduce the rate of fire down 100 rounds per minute but in these financially strapped times I don't think that's a bad thing.
Sweet. Good to know. I have been looking around for appropriately sized tungsten. What about the recoil springs? Are you going to suggest clipping them as ninth has done?

User avatar
panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Posts: 11659
Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 15:51
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.
Contact:

Re: Yipee! Got my ammo boxes from EA

Post by panzermk2 » 07 Sep 2010, 08:40

b4odcmpc wrote:Thats great! I was hope'n someone would produce one. I still want to hunt with my 90' and those barnes x's. Again, I wasn't try'n to bash ea ammo, I'd love to have a good bolt gun in 5.7 with their ammo. I do agree there is a design flaw in fsn mags also- they need some steel in there. Why can I buy 30$ steel-lined glock mag but no 30$ steel-lined fsn mag :ponder:

What will the rate reducer material be? Tungstun, or just larger size? I will be interested...
Steel. There is room to make it larger without changing the materail.













VeTTeMaNC486 wrote:
panzermk2 wrote:
b4odcmpc wrote:. My question is how are some of you getting your ps 90s to function with this stuff, lead tape on the bolt?
This is why based on the research and testing done by Eric( ninthinning) I have designed a heavier rate reducer. I am waiting on the first batch. It will be something anyone can change and it will increase the weight of the bolt by 2oz. Which based on Eric's testing seems to be the magic number. For full auto PS90 and P90 it will reduce the rate of fire down 100 rounds per minute but in these financially strapped times I don't think that's a bad thing.
Sweet. Good to know. I have been looking around for appropriately sized tungsten. What about the recoil springs? Are you going to suggest clipping them as ninth has done?
As of yet no clipping of the springs just a replace the part.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests