FiveseveN Failure to Eject

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

SeaHawkDriver-B
Location: Embarked on 2 acres of floating Soverign US Territory

FiveseveN Failure to Eject

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 25 Jul 2010, 12:45

Unfortunately I've suffered a setback in my "ultimate FSN" project. I have made two major mofications, 1 is the Jarvis barrel; 2 is Burris Fastfire II mounted atop the slide using the mount from Rob at True Hunter Supply.

First time testing out the new mods at the range this weekend, round would fire, but spent casing was still in the chamber. I was using whitebox SS192, and BlueBox SS195LF. I tried this about 10 times, same result. Only one time did I get the actual round to eject, but it FTF the next round.

Unforunately , i dont know which modiication is causing the problem... is it the Jarvis barrel, or is it the Fastfire holosight.... or is it both? :wall:

Unfortunately I left the stock barrel and spring assembly at home, so my next step is to reinstall the factory barrel with the Fastfire on top and see if the problem repeats. If it does, then my question would be... does anyone have an issue with FTF/FTE with aftermarket optics? Do I need to use a lighter spring since I have increased the mass of the slide?

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Re: FiveseveN Failure to Eject

Post by Rapier1772 » 25 Jul 2010, 12:58

I'd try the old barrel first and let EA polish the Jarvis chamber. Did the slide cycle normally?
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

SeaHawkDriver-B

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 25 Jul 2010, 13:06

No I dont think the slide cycled normally, its obviously not cycling "far back" enough to eject the spent casing. As the spent casing is left in the chamber, fired, when the gun comes back to rest. The gun felt like I was shooting underpowered loads.

The Jarvis spring did feel a lot stiffer than the factory spring... hmmmm.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 25 Jul 2010, 13:11

NOT the Fastfire and mount bro.

It's your Jarvis barrel.

I'll put $50 bucks on it, even.

Chamber too tight or spaced incorrectly.

$50 bucks your factory bbl will have no issues. :)
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

SeaHawkDriver-B

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 26 Jul 2010, 09:31

I put a call into Jarvis, guy was pretty familiar with the problem... says it doesn't happen frequently but it has happened on some barrels.

*Told me to thoroughly clean, oil, and lubricate the barrel and spring for an extended duration.
*Said that the magazine should be as unloaded as possible, in fact, start shooting without the magazine in. The friction from a heavily-loaded mag (I was using 30rd CMMG mag) puts resistance against the slide as it tries to come rearwords. Lubricating the slide, mag, bullets, etc, will help this situation.
*Said eventually the barrel should break-in and the functionality will become more and more normal, as I keep shooting rounds through it and continue lubing it.

Sounds reasonable, too bad I'm going to have to put some serious time and effort to get a $400 barrel to work the way it should. Otherwise, the craftsmanshp of the Jarvis is top-notch; the functionality doesn't get the same review though.

I asked him if he uses a stiffer spring, and he assured me it was a 19lb spring. But I can tell you, there is a definate difference in how the springs feel doing a side-by-side comparison. It might be he uses a different spring manufactuere, or the fact that his springs are brand new, maybe they need to be worked-in a little. the 30rd mags are also something to think about. With more mass on the slide, 30rd mags, and a brand new barrel, I was doomed for failure.

Will keep everyone posted.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 27 Jul 2010, 10:35

Thanks Seahawk!

Jarvis guy has a point; 1. Strong mag springs do cause feeding malfunctions; it does place resistance on the slide, this can be seen with new factory 20 round mags. Sometimes they don't cause the slide to close completely from the upwards pressure on the feeding cartridge from cartridges below when the mag is fully loaded to capacity. However, it usually only takes some shooting and reloading the mags a few times.

2. IMO it's not the friction as much as it is the pressure; lubing will help slip the feeding bullet in faster, perhaps, due to the loss in friction, but you cannot lube or reduce the amount of friction caused from the cartridge below pushing up upon the feeding cartridge.

3. FsN springs are VERY strong (for me) when new-ish. They do lighten a bit with use. Depending on how much you've cycled/used/worn in your stock spring, it might feel different.

4. I don't think you were doomed for failure. Also, his comment on the 30 round mag I don't particularly agree upon as 30 rounds would not necessarily have more pressure than 20 rounds in a stock mag. If you're using the same spring as your stock mag in a longer mag; typically, when you get to a certain number or rounds in your mag you will actually come up with ALOT less spring pressure than with the same round count in your stock mag. I think it could go either way, meaning that if you're shooting a full mag in your 30 rounder, going from full to empty, it could be slightly unreliable with the Jarvis. I wish for you that once it breaks in it'll work perfectly with your 30 rounders!

I hope you have fun shootin' while she breaks in! Thanks for your update, much appreciated.
Shoot more, worry less.

Never Enough

Post by Never Enough » 27 Jul 2010, 18:52

First post guys enjoy this site very much, as a proud owner of the FiveseveN i have had nothing but trouble with the 30 round mag from ---mag.Stock twenty round mag everything is good, thirty round bad.

SeaHawkDriver-B

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 28 Jul 2010, 06:53

The 30 round IS the stock 20 round, it just has an extension down the bottom with a slightly longer spring. This means that the feed lips, body, and follower are all the SAME MAG. The only possibly difference between the 30 and 20 is the amount of spring pressure.

RAIDENelder

Post by RAIDENelder » 28 Jul 2010, 07:28

@Never Enough: I had the same problem with the "Pro-Mag" 30 rounders. The FN +10 round extensions work great.

Gatorr
custom title: Nobody important

Post by Gatorr » 28 Jul 2010, 08:57

RAIDENelder wrote:@Never Enough: I had the same problem with the "Pro-Mag" 30 rounders. The FN +10 round extensions work great.
Yeah, I agree. Pro-mag's, for any firearm, are crap. The CMMG extensions are good.

Never Enough

Post by Never Enough » 28 Jul 2010, 13:09

seahawk;sounds like a very nice FiveseveN with the modifications but the 30 round mag certainly seems suspect, how does it shoot with the 20 round mags? Not to be picking on the 30 rounders but there seems to be a consensus with our fellow shooters. Anxious to hear your specific out come hope its something easy.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 28 Jul 2010, 13:41

Threads reviewing the Promag and CMMG and the 30 rounders and their reliability has been covered umpteenth amounts of times.

If one used the search function, they could also find much of what they are seeking. Another alternative is google, which works just ask well in finding posts on this forum :)

Welcome to the forum, Never Enough :) I hope you enjoy your stay.
Shoot more, worry less.

Never Enough

Post by Never Enough » 28 Jul 2010, 15:27

Thank you Blueorison, did not mean to review or seek. I had problems with F T E and the afore mentioned was the problem, sorry

burdy

Post by burdy » 28 Jul 2010, 16:50

SeaHawkDriver-B wrote: Sounds reasonable, too bad I'm going to have to put some serious time and effort to get a $400 barrel to work the way it should. Otherwise, the craftsmanshp of the Jarvis is top-notch; the functionality doesn't get the same review though.
Rule number one is that my firearm cycles correctly. I would be nothing short of pissed if my $400 barrel didn't work, and I wouldn't care about the craftsmanship. If I ever needed a threaded barrel, judging from all the issues Ive read, I would just have my factory barrel threaded and skip the headache.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Post by panzermk2 » 28 Jul 2010, 20:55

We sell extra power mag springs. All 15 of my FsN mags have them. I have never had an issue with slide function or extractions because of these springs. Due to testing guns they have been used in dozens of other FsNs besides mine and with every kind of ammo including thousands of rounds of SS197.

It is my opinion one hell of a stretch to think that issues that don't occur with the factory barrel but occur with an after market one are all of a sudden related to the magazine spring. Any body on the forum who has my springs will tell you they are a heck of a lot stronger.

Extraction issues = magazine springs? Sorry I just can't buy that.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 28 Jul 2010, 20:56

I will do you one better. Send me the barrel and I will figure out what's wrong, fix it and post every thing here.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

SeaHawkDriver-B

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 29 Jul 2010, 08:03

Wow... what an offer! :thumb:

Let me get back to the range this weekend and see if I can't cycle at least 100 rounds through the barrel using regular 20rd, lightly loaded mags, and a whole lot of rem oil. I will also try some with the stock barrel.

If it still feeds like poo, It will be in a box on its way to Idaho, or wherever you guys are.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 29 Jul 2010, 08:32

Harvard, IL.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 29 Jul 2010, 09:33

SeaHawkDriver-B wrote:If it still feeds like poo, It will be in a box on its way to Idaho, or wherever you guys are.
You can still send it to Idaho if you want, let me know & I'll send you my address :p
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

SeaHawkDriver-B

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 29 Jul 2010, 09:39

Illinois! Land of Obama... oh joy!