Gun Mounted Light w/ Laser - Review/Poll -updated 7.13.10

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

Which light w/ laser do you prefer?

Surefire X400
21%
Streamlight TLR-2
30%
Insight M6X
5%
Viridian X5L
35%
Sig Sauer STL 900L
7%
Insight X2L
1%
Glock GTL 21
1%

Total votes: 177

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Re: Gun Mounted Lights w/ Laser

Post by blueorison » 20 Apr 2010, 17:06

bpasky wrote:I know I may be a "Noob" but whatever I learn about each light I can add and update this topic at the top. If anyone has something I need to correct or add just let me know. I don't mind doing it if you don't. It sounds like we need to start somewhere. I'd like to give it a shot as long as everyone is cool with it.
:thumb:
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

bpasky

Re: Gun Mounted Light w/ Laser -updated 4.21

Post by bpasky » 21 Apr 2010, 05:59

First post is updated. Please let me know what you think. It's a pretty basic format, but sometimes simple is much better than fancy. Should I add a poll for all the different lights w/ laser? We would be able to see the consensus in this category.

f3rr37
Site Admin

Re: Gun Mounted Light w/ Laser -updated 4.21

Post by f3rr37 » 21 Apr 2010, 07:38

Looks good to me.

Augustus

Re: Gun Mounted Light w/ Laser - Review/Poll -updated 4.22.

Post by Augustus » 26 Apr 2010, 02:37

As an owner of a TLR-1 and an X5L, I prefer the X5L over the TLR-1/2 series.
Its lighter, and has a green laser instead of a red laser.
The light on the X5L is not as bright as on the streamlights, but is very wide, which may be why it seems a lot dimmer. Definatly bright enough for any indoor environment or under 25 or so yards.

The TLR-1/2 on the other hand easily light stuff up at 50 yards.

As for the Insight, Surefire, Glock...

The glock light is pretty weak all around. Non-LED bulb is a deal breaker.
The Insights are way overpriced and have far inferior specs to the Streamlights.
The Surefire is on par with the Streamlights, but is far more expensive. Only you can justify paying a LOT more to help pay for Surefire's excessive advertising. I prefer to avoid that company.

I look at it this way.
Better looks, far better laser, less weight : X5L
Better light output, far worse laser, worse weight : TLR-2

ninthinning
Gold Member

Post by ninthinning » 26 Apr 2010, 03:40

My 57 sports a Surefire X400. The controls are all accessed with the index finger making it convenient to switch from laser to light to both. The instant on-off pressure switch is activated by the tip of the index finger. The light has rounded corners and little to grab on your cloths and is compact enough to be practical. The price was the only draw back but I bit the bullet and bought it anyway.
9th
God bless John Browning.

SoCal Gunner
custom title: WTF

Post by SoCal Gunner » 14 Jun 2010, 07:31

Great Post. With some clean up and maybe links to manufacturers and a collection of pics, I'd nominate it for a sticky!

This thread really has me considering a Viridian. I like the angled lines and fit - looks natural on the FiveSeveN. I do agree with the con that it extends lower than the trigger guard, but with a combo I'd say that's expected.

bpasky

Post by bpasky » 14 Jun 2010, 08:05

Updated with links. I can add pictures if that is preferred, however if you click on the link it will show you what it looks like.

SoCal Gunner

Re: Gun Mounted Light w/ Laser - Review/Poll -updated 6.14.

Post by SoCal Gunner » 14 Jun 2010, 08:12

Nice work.

There are pictures of most of these scattered about in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5348&start=0
What's nice is you can see how it looks/fits on an actual FiveSeveN vs yet another Glock.

bpasky

Post by bpasky » 14 Jun 2010, 12:06

Updated w/ pictures and added Hellfighter.

Does anyone have a better picture of the Insight M6X mounted on the FsN?

DAUG

Post by DAUG » 14 Jun 2010, 12:17

Great job, bpasky, nicely organized! . . . . :thumb:
EARTH FIRST! We'll pave the other planets later - 5Jeffro7

SoCal Gunner

Post by SoCal Gunner » 14 Jun 2010, 13:09

PIN IT!

bpasky

Post by bpasky » 30 Jun 2010, 07:01

Update. Surefire X400 and X300 now shows 170 lumens in their specifications.

owsi26

Post by owsi26 » 30 Jun 2010, 07:57

blueorison wrote:Oh, my bad, bpasky! Didn't mean to troll on ya!

Obviously it's my fault. I mean, who am I to question a newbie who makes close-to-universal claims that are completely inaccurate?

Let me get that for you,

here ya go!

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4918&hilit=viridian" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6230&hilit=laser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5348&hilit=laser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

there were more links, but, you'll just have to tune in another time! :p

"Basically most other topics on the subject just turned into everyone saying what they use. I guess I am looking for why you like the specific light that you have."

Well, see, I'm thinkin, I guess they use it because the light is

1. bright
2. reliable
3. robust
4. darn thing just works great

There really aren't crazy differences between different mfg.'s. Though some have green lights and other have red lights. During the day, Green is easier to see on non-green
surfaces. Red is easier to see on non-red surfaces. Green might not work in some temps.

Hope that helps!! :)
Actually, you are wrong. There are no green or red, rail mounted lights, that I'm aware of! There are green lasers and red lasers. Green can be seen at night and in daylight. The red is for low light to dark; However, most red lasers can be easily seen in most indoor lighting situations, providing the ambient light isn't too bright.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 30 Jun 2010, 08:25

owsi26, you haven't seen those colored filter lenses on the lights? :D

On the relevant side, I got to fondle a Viridian a couple of days ago at the indoor range. Green laser was very bright & easy to see. I didn't use the light much, although it does seem pretty bright as viewed from an angle. The laser itself was on a glock & the mounting felt very solid. Buttons were easily reachable.

No idea if the mounting stays solid when firing or has to be tightened up - it was new, they didn't know yet.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Re: Gun Mounted Light w/ Laser - Review/Poll -updated 6.30.

Post by blueorison » 30 Jun 2010, 09:35

my fault, owsi. I think everyone knew I meant laser.

As Rapier says, there are coloured lights. I've used them before. It's just not as common. I think bright blue light at night works quite well.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 04 Jul 2010, 10:15

http://www.botachtactical.com/sigsasttali.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sig Sauer STL-900L for only $99. And you can use the coupon code "stimulus" to get an additional 15% off.

Outlaw54

Post by Outlaw54 » 09 Jul 2010, 20:25

srt-4_jon wrote:http://www.botachtactical.com/sigsasttali.html

Sig Sauer STL-900L for only $99. And you can use the coupon code "stimulus" to get an additional 15% off.
WOW!!!! I shopped and thought I got a good deal at $170 (LOCAL SHOP SELLS IT FOR $285, SIG WEBSITE FOR $215) for the Sig STL-900. I love mine on the five-seven, it has a wrench to adjust it that fits on the side, has a 130 lumen light (seems brighter), strobe feature and a red laser that works in most outdoor settings and holds zero great. It was mentioned that the buttons are complicated, but it didn't take long to figure it out. It fits great on the 1913 rail and looks good on the long frame and for the money I already spent on the pistol, works great for me :clap:

FN currently has a free light offer for the Insight Technology M3 ($120 value) for five-seven purchases between May 1 - July 31, 2010. I'll use this on another pistol when I just want a light.

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/promos/1005light.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also have the LaserMax ($285) green laser only which I put on my AR-15 and if I just want a laser, it also fits nice on the five-seven.

I just bought a FNP tactical .45 and for $85 (after discount), I will buy another one of these. I figured I was done spending big bucks on lasers, lights, and laser light combo's and that I would just change them out when needed, but for $85, I'll take this one and use it on one of my 8 pistols or put it on my GSG-5 rifle :thumb:

bcoffey

Post by bcoffey » 11 Jul 2010, 13:53

Insight SSL1---been on various weapons and never failed yet--next may well be the Green laser---use LAserGrips on other handguns, but undecided on this particular firearm at moment. Ride a motorcycle and planning to make the 57 my carry gun, but haven't found a IWB holster I can live with yet. Kydex doesn't work for me in TX heat, so am searching for a leather.

Outlaw54

Post by Outlaw54 » 11 Jul 2010, 21:18

bcoffey wrote:Insight SSL1---been on various weapons and never failed yet--next may well be the Green laser---use LAserGrips on other handguns, but undecided on this particular firearm at moment. Ride a motorcycle and planning to make the 57 my carry gun, but haven't found a IWB holster I can live with yet. Kydex doesn't work for me in TX heat, so am searching for a leather.
I took the LaserMax off my AR-15 and tried it on the Five-Seven. The STL-900L is on sale at BoTach for $85 and at that price I had to get another for the FNP .45 or another gun in the safe.

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 12 Jul 2010, 00:28

Regarding the STL-900L, the laser sits behind the lens, correct? Have you ever had issues with the light refracting and giving you sort of a ghost dot? I looked at both the Sig and a knock off and the reviews I read said both had this problem for some people, but not for everyone. If you haven't, please try just the laser on the wall in a dark room and let me know if you notice anything like this, thanks!