First Outing With My Five Seven MKII

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

QB Too

First Outing With My Five Seven MKII

Post by QB Too » 05 Sep 2017, 18:20

I was finally able to get to the range today and took my Five Seven with the Jarvis barrel and Dead Air Mask suppressor. Ammo was SS197, SS198, AE, EA QuieTOR 5.5 for pistol

I fired:
20 rounds of SS198 with no issues
5 rounds of EA QuieTOR 5.5 with suppressor with no issues other than a lot of blowback hitting me in the face (I had too much lube on it I am pretty sure)
5 rounds of EA QuieTOR5.5 - round 1 fired; round 2 did not fire and when I ejected it, it had a very slight primer hit. Round 3 fired. Rounds 4 & 5 did not fire, no primer hit.

OK, so I thought I'd try the SS197 ammo and some more SS198 and absolutely nothing would fire. I could definitely feel the striker firing (firing pin coming forward) but there were no primer hits. I wasn't at a range where I could just tear down the gun so I packed up and went home since this was the last gun I was going to shoot anyway.

What I discovered:
brass was jammed in the firing pin channel at the very front....so the firing pin was coming forward and hitting the jammed in brass instead of the bullet. I guess the debris got in the firing pin hole and clogged a little (hence round 2 above that did not fire but had a slight primer hit) and then more clogged and jammed in to totally seal off the hole and from that point on NOTHING would fire (because the firing pin couldn't pierce through the jammed in brass).

Remedy:
I took off part of the adjustable sight and then the slide cover roll pin and removed the slide cover. I then removed the firing pin and checked it out and it seemed OK (time will tell). I tried to pry the jammed brass out from the front of the channel but couldn't so I ended up getting a very slender piece of metal and punching out the jam from the rear of the firing pin channel forward. Cleaned, lubed and put the slide all back together (my first time doing that and it went well....no missing parts, no extra parts and no mars/damage....a first for me ..... :lol: ).

So...............back to the range next Tuesday. This time I'll fire 20 round SS198, 20 rounds SS197 and 20 rounds AE ammo without the suppressor but using the Jarvis barrel. I'll make sure the slide is clear of debris, etc and then I'll add my suppressor and shoot 20 rounds of the Elite Ammunition Quietor ammo and see what happens. The jamming started once I first used the QuieTOR but I'm not sure if it would be the ammo or the suppressor or the blowback or what (and to be fair, I did shoot 20 rounds of SS198 prior to the QuieTOR). I just looked at my suppressor and it appears fine, no damage to it.

I'll post a follow up range report next week. With that said, the 20 rounds of SS198 shot like a DREAM as did the first few subsonic rounds........I sure hope I can get this gun running good both suppressed and unsuppressed but if not then I'll just shoot up my subsonic and be done with it (if indeed it is the issue which I still do not know).

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Re: First Outing With My Five Seven MKII

Post by blueorison » 05 Sep 2017, 20:44

Great job and after action work on the gun. Glad you figured it out. Debris in the firing pin channel happens occasionally with the FsN.

Happy pewpewing!
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 06 Sep 2017, 10:25

Much easier way to fix this problem.

https://youtu.be/70N1AceIDjA

Sometimes there is a bur on the opening for the firing pin that exasperates the build of of crap in your firing pin channel. When I/EA accurize a pistol I dress the breach face to help avoid build up getting trapped in there.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 06 Sep 2017, 10:28

Could also be the barrel. There is a thread here going back years about which barrel is best and I go into details why EA sells EFK barrels.
http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic ... 15&t=15024

Suppressor could be an issue also. Is it a confirmed 5.7 can or just a 22lr that the maker says should work with 5.7?
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

QB Too

Post by QB Too » 06 Sep 2017, 19:18

panzermk2 wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 10:25
Much easier way to fix this problem.

https://youtu.be/70N1AceIDjA
Thanks for the link but I failed to state that before I took apart the slide I did try getting the jam cleared by using the firing pin method you described. It just wouldn't budge. At least I know how to disassemble the slide now :oops:

QB Too

Post by QB Too » 06 Sep 2017, 19:31

panzermk2 wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 10:28
Could also be the barrel. There is a thread here going back years about which barrel is best and I go into details why EA sells EFK barrels.
http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic ... 15&t=15024

Suppressor could be an issue also. Is it a confirmed 5.7 can or just a 22lr that the maker says should work with 5.7?
It's a Dead Air Mask that is rated for 5.7 by the manufacturer so I guess that's "confirmed".

I did read all the various posts, including the referenced one. The opinions and recommendations were all very interesting but I decided on the Jarvis barrel. I'll certainly shoot xxx rounds with the factory barrel and see if I have any issues and then xxx rounds with the Jarvis barrel to see if it may be the culprit. I'm hoping it doesn't happen again but if it does I'll try to isolate exactly what ammo/barrel, I was using and whether it was suppressed or not, etc. And as your linked video recommended, I'll certainly keep that firing pin channel clean.

I'm hoping the gun will settle down as I have a boatload of your QuieTOR ammo that I'd love to keep in stock and use at the indoor range. I love my PS90 and wanted the 5.7 since it used the same ammo but I don't have much patience with a tempermental gun so I'll just have to see how goes. I guess it's just finding the right combination of ammo, barrel, suppressor perhaps. And I still think I may have caused the issue because of too much lube!!! :x

QB Too

Post by QB Too » 26 Sep 2017, 18:26

Well I've decided to abandon the Five Seven suppressed. I did use an EKF barrel and still didn't warm up to it and since I'm not interested in using it unsuppressed I sold it and will sell the threaded barrel and QuieTOR 5.5 ammo. Instead, I purchased a second PS90 that I'd like to SBR so I'll see how that goes.

Thanks to everyone for all the comments and suggestions.

GONRA

Post by GONRA » 28 Sep 2017, 13:32

GONRA wonders - in the future, see if you can check yer MT's for Punctured Primers.
Those little blown out brass discs are where the firing pin channel debris comes from.
Maybe you have all the fired brass to date and can figger it out?
May even see a few of the little guys in yer pistol?

QB Too

Post by QB Too » 29 Sep 2017, 12:48

GONRA wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 13:32
GONRA wonders - in the future, see if you can check yer MT's for Punctured Primers.
Those little blown out brass discs are where the firing pin channel debris comes from.
Maybe you have all the fired brass to date and can figger it out?
May even see a few of the little guys in yer pistol?
Someone else mentioned blown primers but I was already back from the range and didn't have access to the cases to look at them and had already cleaned my FsN. And now I've sold the gun, threaded barrel, etc so who knows.....

tps3443

Post by tps3443 » 23 Dec 2017, 15:32

That’s very unfortunate. I got my FN five seven last week. And while it’s not my first FN pistol, or FN gun. It is my first time owning a Five-SeveN! It has been extremely reliable with American Eagle 40GR. Not a single failure, after a few hundred rounds I felt comfortable to carry it daily. Not that I have another option anyways. So luckily it does run well