New FiveSeven won't fire

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

FiveseveN572

New FiveSeven won't fire

Post by FiveseveN572 » 18 Jan 2017, 16:31

New out of the box FiveSeven pistol will not fire. Any ideas?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Re: New FiveSeven won't fire

Post by panzermk2 » 19 Jan 2017, 05:35

Are your magazines fully seated?

Is the hammer falling?

What ammo?
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

waffentomas

Post by waffentomas » 19 Jan 2017, 07:48

Did you clean it? I have found some strange things in my NIB firearms. Once, there was a small piece of plastic in the mechanism that would not allow it to fire. Break it down and clean it...even though it's new.

Tom

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 21 Jan 2017, 08:37

Always clean new weapons. Every BNIB weapon I've bought has this thick lube that sticks like grease. I can't say if it's actually cosmoline or not but it protects the weapon from rust and it gums up the works.
An example: A few years ago I traded for three of the new Ruger SR9's. I'm a Ruger fan and gave one to my wife and one to my best friend for Xmas. When he came over to shoot it, he claimed that it wouldn't fire. He assured me that he had cleaned it when he first got it.
I broke it down and while most of the factory goop was cleaned out, there was still some in it. I honestly didn't think it would prevent the weapon from functioning, but I broke it down to parade rest, scrubbed the goo out, lubed it and we took it outside. It performed flawlessly.
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 21 Jan 2017, 13:12

Cyberfly wrote:Always clean new weapons. Every BNIB weapon I've bought has this thick lube that sticks like grease. I can't say if it's actually cosmoline or not but it protects the weapon from rust and it gums up the works.
An example: A few years ago I traded for three of the new Ruger SR9's. I'm a Ruger fan and gave one to my wife and one to my best friend for Xmas. When he came over to shoot it, he claimed that it wouldn't fire. He assured me that he had cleaned it when he first got it.
I broke it down and while most of the factory goop was cleaned out, there was still some in it. I honestly didn't think it would prevent the weapon from functioning, but I broke it down to parade rest, scrubbed the goo out, lubed it and we took it outside. It performed flawlessly.
Good thoughts to share, Fly!

I've never cleaned a weapon before firing (I usually buy used guns - just like with cars - I've only bought 2? new pistols, ever, and they were both FiveseveNs... the others were Glocks, and they always shoot fine from factory as they don't pack it with thick grease, only thin copper coatings), but I know with striker fired guns, any viscosity from any liquid coupled with the suction forces within the fp channels can quickly rapidly cause the gun to stop firing.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.