Reflex sight for every day carry or not, please help

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

Walt

Reflex sight for every day carry or not, please help

Post by Walt » 19 Feb 2015, 10:39

I have gotten the bug to purchase a reflex sight for my FN Five Seven MK ll, which I would like to carry every day.

I have worn myself out thinking about this and came here for a little help please :ponder:

It is extremely possible my OCD is in overdrive and I should just stop thinking about this :(

I have read reviews on this sight and others and talked to Trijicon and Leupold directly. I get a lot of conflicting information.

I have been told the reflex is the best thing going and you just have to have one to it is like dressing up your barbie doll and you should not do it.

With the FN Five Seven the only real option is to remove the rear sight. The mount I like the best is made by Gunsamerica.com which is a flat low profile mount. (I would post a photo but tried and failed)

It seems to make sense to coexist the sights with the reflex but it starts becoming more problematic and gaudy in size.

I like the idea to not have to rely on a battery but after doing some research it seems like the battery might be less of an issue than relying on a dual light system such as the Trijicon dual light which from reading in this forum does not always perform in all light conditions.

The Leupold is coming out with a new pro model which has fixed some of the issues such as a new top mounted battery compartment and has a better field of view but the Trijicon seems more durable.

I don't mind the extra training if that is what it takes to become a better shooter.

Please share your experiences and thoughts.

Thanks in advance,
Walt

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Re: Reflex sight for every day carry or not, please help

Post by panzermk2 » 19 Feb 2015, 12:33

Gunsamerica.com does not make anything. Are you referring to Rob's sight?

http://www.fivesevenreddot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is one, mine, that coexist sights but it is a standard rail and is larger.

Both though just replace the adjustable portion of the rear sight. The base stays intact.

The most important aspect is to NOT exceed the max weight of about .2oz including base. Otherwise at a min your gun won't cycle and at worst tear the base out of the dovetail in the slide.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Walt

Post by Walt » 20 Feb 2015, 07:44

After much research I have decided not to use a reflex sight.
Walt

Walt

Post by Walt » 20 Feb 2015, 23:13

Jay,
The first photo you posted does look like the mount I saw in a photo that was sent to me by Gunsamerica.com
I assumed they made it. I am not sure who Rob is???

It looks like to me the mount on the first photo is lower profile.

Thanks,
Walt

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Post by panzermk2 » 20 Feb 2015, 23:50

Rob at http://www.fivesevenreddot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Invented and manufactures the lower mount.

Yes it is lower since it's FF dedicated mount without back up iron sights.

The second is mine that is a picatiny rail that will work with any small sigh and has back up rear sights built in.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz