Illinois Approves Concealed Carry

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

2ndAMVa

Illinois Approves Concealed Carry

Post by 2ndAMVa » 02 Jun 2013, 08:03

This is the last state in the Union to approve Concealed Carry. Great news for Illinois gun owners!!!

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013 ... proponents" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Re: Illinois Approves Concealed Carry

Post by panzermk2 » 02 Jun 2013, 08:51

2ndAMVa wrote:This is the last state in the Union to approve Concealed Carry. Great news for Illinois gun owners!!!

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013 ... proponents" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The system they came up with is a friggin nightmare.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

c1demo
Platinum Member

Post by c1demo » 02 Jun 2013, 09:11

A Chicago senator stated that the required 16 hours of training is not enough to have a handgun. He didn't mention though, that no training is required to become a senator!

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 02 Jun 2013, 10:16

panzermk2 wrote:
2ndAMVa wrote:This is the last state in the Union to approve Concealed Carry. Great news for Illinois gun owners!!!

The system they came up with is a friggin nightmare.
Yes it is. But it is a step forward. Now that right to carry has been established, it opens flood gates for challenging the hoops one has to jump through.

But yeah, not great legislation, but better than can be expected in such a mess up state as IL.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 02 Jun 2013, 20:09

c1demo wrote:A Chicago senator stated that the required 16 hours of training is not enough to have a handgun. He didn't mention though, that no training is required to become a senator!

Nor for members of the Chicago City counsel who for decades now without any training, background check or IL. FOID card could carry a concealed weapon ANYWHERE in Cook County. They even have been known to wip them out and threaten each other with them at city counsel MEETINGS!
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 02 Jun 2013, 20:23

panzermk2 wrote:
c1demo wrote:A Chicago senator stated that the required 16 hours of training is not enough to have a handgun. He didn't mention though, that no training is required to become a senator!

Nor for members of the Chicago City counsel who for decades now without any training, background check or IL. FOID card could carry a concealed weapon ANYWHERE in Cook County. They even have been known to wip them out and threaten each other with them at city counsel MEETINGS!

:laugh: I read about that incident. Epic fail.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

Beecher Tool

Post by Beecher Tool » 02 Jun 2013, 21:27

Sen. Dan Kotowski is a blithering idiot.....I am engaged with some of the folks with ISRA that are reviewing the language in the statute.....let's see if Quinn is enough of a pri*k to veto the bill and draw out the process....more to come happy Sunday night.

bobapunk
Gold Member
custom title: EA's range buddy

Post by bobapunk » 04 Jun 2013, 05:24

You guys saw this, right?

http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-ro ... 12081.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They (Lisa Madigan) is asking the AC7 for a 30 day extension!

Really?? They gave you 180 days, you have a Bill that passed both chambers with veto-proof super majorities and you think that the AC7 is going to grant you a 30 extension?

What a JOKE!

BTW, just tossing this out there. I am an NRA Certified instructor and I am fully intending on conducting the training classed required to obtain an IL CCW.

I will give a nice discount and a guaranteed spot in an early class to any forum member who PM's me!

Nick

nrv216

Post by nrv216 » 06 Jun 2013, 13:15

Pm sent Nick. Thanks for the offer.

nrv216

Beecher Tool

Post by Beecher Tool » 06 Jun 2013, 18:26

EDWARDSVILLE - Madison County's top prosecutor says citizens may lawfully carry concealed firearms "under very narrow limits," in the wake of a court ruling that soon makes Illinois an "unrestricted" state.
State's Attorney Thomas Gibbons issued a May 28 opinion for local police agencies, but amplified it on Thursday amid mounting questions from residents and gun owners.
"We've been overwhelmed by phone calls, and they are 99 percent positive from the public," he said, referring to the ruling.
He said a citizen can carry a weapon lawfully and will not be prosecuted by his office if they meet seven qualifications, among them possessing a valid Firearms Owner Identification Card; carrying a firearm for self-defense; and keeping a firearm concealed on their person or in a vehicle.
Illinois and the District of Columbia are the last of the country's jurisdictions that forbid both open and concealed carry except under a narrow set of circumstances. In Illinois, a growing number of rural counties in Illinois are refusing to enforce the statewide ban on carrying firearms.
In December, the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago, ruling in the case of Moore v. Madigan, said the right to self-defense is "broader than the right to have a gun in one's home," essentially calling Illinois' ban on concealed carry unconstitutional.
The court gave the Illinois Legislature 180 days to draft a new gun law "that will impose reasonable limitations, consistent with the public safety and the Second Amendment ... on the carrying of guns in public."
The General Assembly last week sent such a bill to Gov. Patrick Quinn. Quinn has yet to say what parts of the plan, if any, he supports. If he vetoes it, lawmakers could override his veto.
Notwithstanding enactment of a concealed carry law or a future court order, Illinois technically will become an "unrestricted" carry state on Sunday, June 9.
Attorney General Lisa Madigan this week filed a motion with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit, seeking a 30-day stay of its mandate. Madigan's motion requests an additional 30 days, or until July 9, to allow the governor to review the recently passed legislation before the court's stay expires.
"The current stay of the court's mandate expires in less than one week, which significantly shortens the time set in the state Constitution to allow the governor to review legislation. This request for an additional 30 days would allow the governor a reasonable amount of time to fulfill his state constitutional duties," Madigan wrote. "Further, if granted, this additional time would help prevent a situation in which there is no state law in place governing the carrying of handguns in public, which the court sought to avoid in setting the original stay."
So, is concealed carry still technically illegal?
"No, and here's why," Gibbons said. "The reality is that in December 2012, the statute was declared unconstitutional. So, we had a federal ruling - a higher court than our state court. That takes authority."
He came up with a set of criteria after his office began getting motions to dismiss in many of its unlawful use of weapons cases.
"In order to address that issue, we started reviewing those cases, and reviewing the Seventh Circuit ruling," Gibbons said. "It's my opinion that these motions (to dismiss) will be sustained. There is no further purpose of prosecuting people who fall under those narrow circumstances."
He estimated the county would see about 40 such concealed carry cases a year, within those narrow limits, out of about 90,000 cases a year his office handles.
Meanwhile, his office still will be tackling many hundreds of less legitimate gun cases.
"This does not mean we won't be tough on the rest," the state's attorney said. "Others will get prosecuted. We're not giving a free pass."
Gibbons began talking with local and county police agencies months ago, when it became increasingly clear that concealed carry was going to be addressed by the Legislature. His May 28 ruling was the result.
"This is in anticipation of the conceal carry law that gives us specific restrictions and regulations. Between now and then, we have to act rationally and responsibility," he said.
Before the state's ban was declared unconstitutional, some Illinois counties forcefully said they would not prosecute such cases.
Gibbons, however, said it took two case dismissals in his office for him to come up with a more clear set of criteria.
"My opinion was prompted after I had to dismiss two cases, both unlawful use of weapons cases, one a misdemeanor and the other a felony."
One case involved a cab driver in the Madison-Venice area who was arrested for carrying a concealed pistol.
"I try to put myself in his shoes and try to figure what his work life must be like," the prosecutor said. "He had no criminal record, is an upstanding citizen just trying to protect himself."
That would be a case he simply would choose not to prosecute, he said.
"Based on trying to act reasonably, I would say, yes, these cases would be dismissed by the courts. ... We would be wasting the resources of our office."
He said the bill now pending with the governor still would have a lag time of six months before enforcement begins, leading to the need for a local understanding.
"One of the interesting parts in that (7th Circuit) court decision, some of the best reasoning, was that they said people do have a need to protect themselves in their own homes, and sometimes even greater need outside their home," Gibbons said.
[email protected]
Contents of state's attorney's memo
Madison County State's Attorney Tom Gibbons recently issued this memo regarding when citizens may carry a concealed, loaded firearm "on their person or in a vehicle."
People must meet these conditions:
1. Must be issued and possess a valid F.O.I.D. card or, if not an Illinois resident, a valid concealed carry permit from a state that performs a background check prior to issuance of the permit; and
2. Must be carrying the firearm for self-defense; and
3. Must not be prohibited from possession of a firearm under another statute or court order; and
4. Must keep the firearm concealed on their person or in their vehicle, and not visible to the public; and
5. Must not be engaged in any criminal conduct; and
6. Must be in compliance with all other federal, state and local laws and ordinances; and
7. Must, when asked, inform law enforcement officers of the firearm when in contact with an officer in the course of their duties. It is essential that individuals cooperate with any police officer and inform them of the presence of the firearm prior to removing it from its concealed location. Displaying the firearm at a public location or without the request or knowledge of an officer could constitute a violation of the law.
*** The foregoing rules apply only to conduct that previously was prohibited under various laws regarding unlawful use of weapons.

bobapunk
Gold Member

Post by bobapunk » 07 Jun 2013, 06:11

I seriously hope more counties follow suit. The Madigan's have been thumbing their noses at us for years. A little payback is refreshing!

CDeel
custom title: Wannabe Mall Ninja

Post by CDeel » 11 Aug 2013, 13:08

Really happy about this. Although my state is still essentially no-issue still, it's good that every state has come form of concealed carry.

nrv216

Post by nrv216 » 11 Nov 2013, 08:06

Bobapunk,

Check your PMs.

nrv216

ryr8828

Post by ryr8828 » 15 Nov 2013, 04:22

I have completed my state mandated training. As has my wife. Luckily for me the weather was less than stellar so it didn't interfere with my golfing hobby.

bobapunk
Gold Member

Post by bobapunk » 15 Nov 2013, 05:20

LOL! Yeah, we have been lucky with the weather lately.

This weekend could be interesting though (good chance of rain on Sunday and i have a 25 person class to take to the range!)

nrv216

Post by nrv216 » 09 Dec 2013, 06:21

Just finished taking the required classes instructed by forum member bobapunk. I highly recommend his courses to anyone else who wants to get their license or just wants some additional training. I have been shooting for almost 20 years and still learned a lot from his course.

Thanks again Nick, and I hope you guys made it home safe. It was a VERY long drive home for me in my less than weather appropriate camaro!

nrv216 (Steve)

bobapunk
Gold Member

Post by bobapunk » 09 Dec 2013, 12:17

Good to have you Steve! We both made it home fine. It was pretty slow going though. I know your pain with the Camaro. My only car from age 18 to 25 was a 5.0 Mustang GT 5spd manual. Between IL and MI... Fun times...

nrv216

Post by nrv216 » 13 Apr 2014, 08:30

Anyone actually receive their license yet? It has been over 120 days and I haven't gotten crap. Best part is, when you call the ISP to inquire, they redirect you to a recorded message and then the call disconnects. Illinois sucks at everything.

nrv216

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 13 Apr 2014, 21:23

nrv216 wrote:Anyone actually receive their license yet? It has been over 120 days and I haven't gotten crap. Best part is, when you call the ISP to inquire, they redirect you to a recorded message and then the call disconnects. Illinois sucks at everything.

nrv216
:thumb:

This surprises you WHY?
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

c1demo
Platinum Member

Post by c1demo » 14 Apr 2014, 03:27

I got mine a few weeks ago. It took 6 weeks, I applied February 15 and was approved April 1. Log on to the ISP website and check the status of your application. The holdup may be with your local Sheriff, they review all applications.